Unnikrishnan Double in Hamilton & Auckland, NZ

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
MV

Unnikrishnan Double in Hamilton & Auckland, NZ

Post by MV »

Raaga Hamilton - 2/6/17
Vocal - P. Unnikrishnan
Violin - L Ramakrishnan
Mridangam - Arjun Kumar

1) Sarasooda - Saveri Varnam
2) Siva Siva Siva YenarAdha -Pantuvarali (R, KS)
3) SabhApathikku - Abhogi (R,N & KS)
4) Panthurithi - Hamsanadam (R, N & KS)
5) ThAye Yashoda - Thodi (R, N)
6) Thyagarja Kriti (I didn't take notes :\)
7) DEvi Neeye Thunai-KIravani (R,N, KS and T)
8) Govardhana Giridhara - Darbari Kanada
9) Malayalam Song on Guruvayoorappan
10) Jagadhodharana - Kapi
11) Malayalam Song on Chotanikara Devi
12) NarayanIyam Viruttam followed by Pavamana

Unnikrishnan had a mixed audience of 120+ and he kept them all well entertained with a great selection of songs. For the musicians in the audience, the manodharmam in Pantuvarali, Abhogi, Thodi etc were riveting. Neraval @ Rama Nama Mane in Hamsanadam was emotive and strung together beautifully. The main KIravani was The MAIN. With his silky voice and gentle brighas, Unni set up a lovely start with the Alapanai. Ram with his clean bowing and aesthetics replied succinctly. That lifted the kriti to great heights peaking at Neraval and KS with kuraippu @ Alai Magal Kalai Magal. Arjun played a smart thani-infact there were many who commented after that they enjoyed the percussion very much. That is a change to people walking out during Thani :)
Ram had the pulse of everything he played and is a wonderful accompanist to watch for in future.

A wonderful start to the weekend of Music in NZ for Queens Birthday!

MV

Re: Unnikrishnan Double in Hamilton & Auckland, NZ

Post by MV »

NZCMS Auckland - 4/6/17

Same team

1) Abhogi Varnam
2) DEva DEva KalayAmitE - Mayamalavagoulai
3) SadAnanda TAndavam - Bahudari, N @ Muktharum Siddharum KS
4) SabEshan SEvadi by Dr S Ramanathan in Saveri KS
5) RTP Charukesi in Khanda Triputa Thalam, Thani
;;KA VA VA VElavA Shanmu-Ga...Pa..zhani Malai Uraiyum
Ragamalika Thanam in Varali, Reethigoulai, Kambhoji, Todi, Surutti
6) Rama Rama Rama Seetha - Thilang
7) Sri Chakra RAja
8) Pibhare Rama Rasam in Agir Bhairavi by Sadashiva Brahmendram
9) Pashyati -Ashtapadi in Madhuvanti
10) Sri Vallabha Sri ValsAnkhita Sri VaikuntapathE - Darbari Kanada by Swathi Tribunal
11) Villinai Otha Puruvam Kavadi Chindu
12) Brahmam Okate
13) NarayanIyam followed by Mangalam

Stuck in serious holiday traffic, I only made it into the hall as he was skilfully laying out the Bahudari ragam. I have heard Sowmya sing Sabeshan Sevadi. It is always a pleasure to hear the lilting composition. And it is made for KS to be sung at the Pallavi. Unnikrishnan obviously learnt it from the horses mouth so it was a stunning piece. The Charukesi Ragam and Tanam were splendid. His music is quite understated but full of technical sancharams and pidis.

With an illustrious film career, the second half of the concert is no surprise. Over the years, one does get labelled into the 'semi-classical' pigeon-hole. But he is a Carnatic musician at heart, and skill. He could slowly push the 6-6 equation to a 7-5 or even 8-4 weighting over time. :)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The title read like he had a musical double singing for him! :lol: . Never mind!

arasi

Post by arasi »

All right, a double header, then...

MV,
Thanks for the two reviews. From the sound of it, he seems to have sung doubly well at both venues.

Is it sabEsan sEvaDi or sabEsan sEvaiyE? Before listening to both Soumya and Unnikrishnan singing it, I have heard their guru sing it, and it was delicious.

How did Unnikrishnan sing villinai otta puruvam vaLaithanai? A la VVS?

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

Unnikrishnan sings sabEsan sEvaDi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNfViRG57tk

MV

Post by MV »

arasi wrote: 07 Jun 2017, 16:27 All right, a double header, then...

MV,
Thanks for the two reviews. From the sound of it, he seems to have sung doubly well at both venues.

Is it sabEsan sEvaDi or sabEsan sEvaiyE? Before listening to both Soumya and Unnikrishnan singing it, I have heard their guru sing it, and it was delicious.

How did Unnikrishnan sing villinai otta puruvam vaLaithanai? A la VVS?
Arasi, Yes to everything :D
It was sabEsan sEvaDi. And it must have been wonderful to hear the 'guru' sing it.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Given how cold New Zealand is in June and his tendency to bite in singing, I wonder how you were even able to understand the sahityam in his singing! You sir, have an enviable sense of hearing that we all deserve to possess!

MV

Post by MV »

melam72 wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 20:28 Given how cold New Zealand is in June and his tendency to bite in singing, I wonder how you were even able to understand the sahityam in his singing! You sir, have an enviable sense of hearing that we all deserve to possess!
He may bite and he may freeze in the cold, but you can't deny his lineage or training or knowledge. And its not Sir, Sir :lol:

melam72

Post by melam72 »

MV wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 01:05 He may bite and he may freeze in the cold, but you can't deny his lineage or training or knowledge. And its not Sir, Sir :lol:
What is the point of having lineage or training or knowledge if you can't even sing properly, MADAM?

arasi

Post by arasi »

MahiLA MV :)

How about the kAvaDi cindu? Have you heard VVS's recording of it?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

He has lungs like bellows. The throw/power is his singing is readily apparent from the moment he clears his throat and does the sound check.

MV

Post by MV »

arasi wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 08:55 MahiLA MV :)

How about the kAvaDi cindu? Have you heard VVS's recording of it?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Arasi, I haven't heard VVS recording. I checked Youtube to see if it was there, but no. I know this one myself and it was similar to my version