Vinay Sharva At Raga Sudha

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
melam72

Re: Vinay Sharva At Raga Sudha

Post by melam72 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 14:30 Are there any yesteryear musicians records who used to sing Saveri Varnams other than Sarasuda?
As mentioned above, Parasalla Ponnammal used to sing Saveriha Tanuja. Other members can contribute.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

melam72 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 12:07

Because the musician is ...? <diatribe deleted>

Because the musician has ...? <diatribe deleted>

Or because the musician cannot ...? <diatribe deleted>

You be the judge.
Funny how you attempt to diagnose the situation by ascribing motives to the musician (producer) but none to rasikas (consumer). You need to look more carefully in the mirror.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

sureshvv wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 16:38 Funny how you attempt to diagnose the situation by ascribing motives to the musician (producer) but none to rasikas (consumer)
Most rasikas are tired of hearing the same songs again and again in the same sequence. Call it bad luck, but a couple years ago, I had the misfortune of listening to the same Thodi varnam in half of my concerts. Last season, the same Sahana varnam. If the rasika (I am talking about the rasika, not the cows who chew upon the same thing without understanding its nuances or appreciating it) can do anything about it, he/she/ze would. But rasikas are too few and far between...

(Note: having an account on Rasikas.org doesn't make you a rasika, just so you wouldn't be confused)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

You seem to want to define "rasika" according to your own criteria some of which I can sympathize with. But the fact of the matter is that the artistes are pretty much providing what the audience/organizers are demanding, which is what makes them successful.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

sureshvv wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 17:40 But the fact of the matter is that the artistes are pretty much providing what the audience/organizers are demanding, which is what makes them successful.
Just like people pretty much stopped presenting the Mohana raga varnam, I hope that even the most Bovine rasikas tire of these beaten-to-death varnams and move to rarer varnams like those in Devamanohari or Hamsanadam or Bowli or Kamalamanohari.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

melam72 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 12:07
Vanajaksha ninne nammiyunna vanitapai (pv) - Saveri - K/Ata - Svati Tirunal
Sanjay sings this varnam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grIf2KuiR8A

sAvErihatanujA

Amrutha Venkatesh sings this varnam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPc5D2uSVxA

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Well, the Car Driver and Amrutha Venkatesh are committed to unearthing rare compositions and presenting them in a way that is palatable to the masses. The former, of course, has little respect for the stage or to music, while the latter understands the struggles to get opportunities, making her performance more wholesome.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

melam72 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 15:27 like other varnams, where Lotus-eyed, Forest-eyed, and Water-eyed women harken for a lord
That is a nice translation of kamalAkshi , vanajAkshi and nIrajAkshi! :lol: . In the same crude vein , I don't know how this escaped the characterization of misogyny where Women are being stereo-typed! :twisted: :lol:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

melam72 wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 08:24 The former, of course, has little respect for...
Hmmm,,,

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Thank you melam72 for your explanation.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shankarank wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 09:09
melam72 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 15:27 like other varnams, where Lotus-eyed, Forest-eyed, and Water-eyed women harken for a lord
That is a nice translation of kamalAkshi , vanajAkshi and nIrajAkshi! :lol: .

Not sure about nice but 66% incorrect as the "jA" syllable has not been accounted for.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Melam,
Caste system being created in our rasikA community too? Your fierce love for CM exceeds that of many of us serfs perhaps, but your knowledge does not allow you my lord, to deign us and music's practitioners alike...

Then again, we are forgetting that cowherdess is an honorable name, considering that Krishna himself was a cowherd. His charioteer may be called a car driver or a cart driver for your own reasons, and so, we shouldn't bother?

Amrutha deserves to be a top star in CM, but once she reaches the top, I wonder what name you are going to call her :(

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 19:24

Amrutha deserves to be a top star in CM, but once she reaches the top, I wonder what name you are going to call her :(
Chronic failures cannot tolerate another person's success. So expect it to be something really vile!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

arasi wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 19:24 Then again, we are forgetting that cowherdess is an honorable name, considering that Krishna himself was a cowherd. His charioteer may be called a car driver or a cart driver for your own reasons, and so, we shouldn't bother?
There are merits in their music. Fewer in Aruna's music, but merits nonetheless. But I refuse to stand by as the unwashed Bovine masses believe that their music is 'classical' in the case of Aruna, and I refuse to let people believe that Sanjay's strange vocalisations and gestures are aesthetic.

I am a teacher by profession, of a subject close to my heart;
Let me not let this lack of aesthetics in my love be a dart
to my heart
and do not let them carry off my unknowing body on a cart!

arasi wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 19:24 Amrutha deserves to be a top star in CM, but once she reaches the top, I wonder what name you are going to call her :(
First let her reach to the top. You cannot be anyone in Carnatic music without moving to Madras. Her music is good, but there are equally competent musicians in Madras like Amrutha Murali and Gayathri Kamakoti. If she doesn't at least begin splitting time between Bangalore and Madras to begin with and move to Madras ultimately, she is going to be like a thousand-wala which burns out halfway.

arasi

Post by arasi »

:)

And, where were we?
With Vijay Shrava's concert!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

sureshvv wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 18:21
shankarank wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 09:09
That is a nice translation of kamalAkshi , vanajAkshi and nIrajAkshi! :lol: .

Not sure about nice but 66% incorrect as the "jA" syllable has not been accounted for.
The 34% or thereabout missing is the reason why there is an :lol: at the end ;)