Carnatic Keyboard - SK T. N. Seshagopalan

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sachi_R

Carnatic Keyboard - SK T. N. Seshagopalan

Post by Sachi_R »

Click on the image and be led to a wonderful keyboard concert in the hands of a master!
TNS us able to coax a lot of great musical moments in true Carnatic idiom from a "foreigner".

Thanks to 100.1FM http://Amruthavarshini.airbengaluru.com for playing this concert today 8:30-9:30 am...

Pantuvarali, Kapi, Sindhubhairavi, all feel absolutely at home in TNS' keyboard hands!

shankarank

Re: Carnatic Keyboard - SK T. N. Seshagopalan

Post by shankarank »

Thanks. Amazing to hear.

In lighter vein : Next stage of evolution will be a laser field into which he can wave his hands - like a conductor and distance/orientation sensors will emit music. Gamakas could flow smoothly. It is already showing up in science exhibits!

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008- ... sic-lasers

He can then spare his knuckles and give himself a direct carpal punishment instead! :lol:

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Shankarank,
No wonder geniuses think alike:
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... an#p304761

But I must submit that Sri TNS's foray into the harmonium is more within the bounds of Carnatic creativity paradigm, in my opinion. (I eschew the word humble because I think it is a totally "fakoo" expression).

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

No.. No.. No.. this is a wisdom from a friend of mine that I heard long back.. it is very difficult to make a machine ( say a robot) that moves a spec of dust from point A to B - something available in advanced manufacturing/fabrication may be..

So the fingers/palms and the feedback loop are still the property of a genius!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Where is man? In touch with Nature or with his head in the clouds conjuring up forces that make music at his bidding and bending?

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Let him stay in instrumental music and kathakalakshepam and teaching and lec-dumming. We have had enough of his off-key music. :evil:

As an aside: is his fascination with keyboard an attempt to be 'on-key' as opposed to off-key? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I heard >15 years ago that he was very good on the keyboard from another musician/recordist.

Many other top-class vocalists have developed ability to play instruments quite well. Also, TNS has recorded an album or two of veena music.

I also don't care much for off-key singing. It seems a bit special to CM that we have such singers πŸ˜€

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Sachi_R wrote: ↑08 Jun 2017, 21:07 I also don't care much for off-key singing. It seems a bit special to CM that we have such singers πŸ˜€
More unfortunate, but whatevs :D

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sachi_R wrote: ↑08 Jun 2017, 21:07 I also don't care much for off-key singing. It seems a bit special to CM that we have such singers πŸ˜€
I wouldn't quite put it like that. The Carnatic audience values spontaneous creativity and pushing the envelope in live concerts so much so that a certain level of off-key is accepted in this higher pursuit.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

No doubt, Suresh.
But I feel sticking to sruti and swara shuddham is a paramount value. Every singer and instrumentalist has to feel the pain of every failure there. Otherwise the median measure of alignment will slowly and steadily be eroded.
Having said that, some musicians are notable for frequent lapses. I generally stay away from their music. My personal choice.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

melam72 wrote: ↑08 Jun 2017, 20:26 As an aside: is his fascination with keyboard an attempt to be 'on-key' as opposed to off-key? :lol: :lol: :lol:
His on-key endeavor proves that the off-key was only a technical issue with vocal chords and rest of the feedback system and all his gnanam/vidvat is intact! ;)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

+1

One good rule to follow is not to tell someone they goofed up the last time, when they do well this time, deserving our applause.

If someone can carry off the performance as well as in this record on the "humble" harmonium, really he has nothing more to prove as a Carnatic musician. TNS πŸ™

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

melam72,

You say that Madurai TN Seshagopalan should stay with harmonium or Keyboard.but by far among the 1980-2000 generation TN Seshagopalan,TV Shankaranarayanan ,Maharajapuram santhanam were favorite musicians in the Carnatic Music scenario who attracted good crowd.
There are a few musicians like R Vedavalli,madurai GS Mani who were not crowd pullers,but regarded highly in Music circles.
In the younger generation Sumitra Vasudev ,Amrita Murali etc are performing well.But they may not be crowd pullers like RaGa sisters.
I am curious to know whether Vijaya Siva and OS Tyagarajan sing?.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

hnbhagavan wrote: ↑10 Jun 2017, 12:50 There are a few musicians like R Vedavalli,madurai GS Mani who were not crowd pullers,but regarded highly in Music circles.
I was there for Vedavalli amma's MA concert, and she had a full house in the ground floor.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Success in writing – Unlike painting - means that your work becomes Cheaper , purchasable by anybody.
Edward Hoagland
Success in CM – Unlike painting - means that your work becomes Cheaper , trashable by anybody. :oops:
V.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

varsha wrote: ↑11 Jun 2017, 08:45
Success in writing – Unlike painting - means that your work becomes Cheaper , purchasable by anybody.
Edward Hoagland
Success in CM – Unlike painting - means that your work becomes Cheaper , trashable by anybody. :oops:
V.
good one !