Ramakrishnan Murthy @ Arkay CC

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shriram.krishnan72

Ramakrishnan Murthy @ Arkay CC

Post by shriram.krishnan72 »

Sandeep Ramachandran - Violin
Vijay Nateshan - Mridangam

This program was held as part of the "Mind-Management" lecture series and I believe this was Part 5 with Swami Satyavratananda. There was a nice atmosphere and solid explanations were given for the songs and its meaningful lyrics. I am not going to go into writing down the points she made as the video is available. I loved the fact that it was in English. Interesting to hear such concepts being approached through a foreign language.

Starting at 5 PM this time was ideal as most other concerts start later at around 6 30. It worked out well for me to catch the beginning of this and join Rithvik Raja's concert at Raga Sudha Hall at 7. Ramakrishnan started of with a shlokam and sang the evergreen Shri Ganapathini which is not often heard in concerts. Chances are you might here it more before a Pancharathnam rendition than in a concert. Was a refreshing change and hope more musicians sing it.

He then sang Manasuloni Marmamu in Hindolam while I have also heard it in Varamu. The presentation was on point and extremely crisp with no unnecessary frills and extravagance. The sound of the Mridangam I must say was very pleasant and soothing as compared to the higher decibels we sometimes hear these days.

Next was Durmarga in Ranjani followed by Sadinchane. After rending the pallavi and anupallavi there was an amazing bit of information about the meaning till there. Then Ramakrishnan continued with explanation interludes. Though one did not get to hear the entire composition together it was unusual for me to hear the line Sadinchane after the swarams and sahithyam and not Samayaniki. Don't know if there is a rationale or logic behind this change?

Overall it was a lovely start to the evening. One of my favourites from the current generation he surely did not disappoint. Everything you can expect from the well established Ramakrishnan was there. Good pronunciation, shruthi shuddham, pleasant demeanour and a well rounded voice. Of course we would have liked some manodharma but given the set up of the program it maybe did not have scope for that. The violinist was good and followed the vocal version of the songs faithfully.

Hall acoustics were satisfactory and the seating was comfortable. Hoping to hear this team present a full concert in the near future. For those who have not attended these sessions I would strongly recommend it for the meanings which help us understand the songs better.

- SK72

melam72

Re: Ramakrishnan Murthy @ Arkay CC

Post by melam72 »

When he came to Singapore, his voice was really scratchy... Did you observe the same?

shriram.krishnan72

Re: Ramakrishnan Murthy @ Arkay CC

Post by shriram.krishnan72 »

Apoligies for responding late. Yes I did notice it in patches but nothing that was notably disturbing or a hinderance to listening.