AISWARYA SANKAR IN RAGA SUDHA HALL- 23/06/17

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

AISWARYA SANKAR IN RAGA SUDHA HALL- 23/06/17

Post by CRama »

Accompanists. R.Rahul-Violin
J.Vaidyanathan-Mridangam
Chandrasekar Sarma-Ghatam. List of songs.
• Sarasijanabha-Kambodi Ata tala varnam
• Namostu devyai bhrigu nandanaayai-Slokam- Sree Ragam
• Sree Varalakshmi Namastubhyam-Sree- MD (S)
• Dhanyudevvado-Malayamaarutam-PSI- (N,S)
• Namoraalakimpa-Devagaandhaari-T (R)
• Nambikettavar evarayya_PS
• Mayamma-Natakurinji-SS (R,N,S)
• Tani
• Malon maruganai-Virutham- Shanmugapriya, Kedaragowla, Behag, Poorvikalyani.
• Marukkulaaviya-Poorvikalyani- Tiruppugazh
• Chelinenetlu-Paras-Javali.

An awesome concert. If the rarely sung slokam in Sree ragam revealed her high manodharmam, the swaras in Sree ragam was a proof of her laya control and vidwat and the korvai she executed in various places of the pallavi was breathtaking. The Malayamarutham song was presented well. The Devagandhari alapana and kriti- special of Musiri- her own lineage was very artistic and reflected the raga bhavam impressively. The Natakurinji alapana was very elaborate- for 15 minutes very imaginative sancharams rendered in a way best suitable for a RTP. This ragam is famous for RTP. But present day stars opt for ragam like Maund, Varamu, Kunthalavarali for RTP leaving aside Natakurinji, Sahana, Saveri like ragams. The kriti was sung in Adi 2 kalai. I have heard a brisk 1 kalai version also. This suited well for the main song. Here also the manodharmam elements were commendable.

The pakka vadyams enhanced the stature of the concert. Violin follow up was good. J.Vaidyanathan stole the show with his sensitive and vibrant touches. Chandrasekar Sarma jelled well with the rest of the team to make it a success. During the concert it was fitting that Aiswarya congratulated JV for the Sangeetha Nataka Academy Award. An excellent concert for two hours fifteen minutes.

sankark

Re: AISWARYA SANKAR IN RAGA SUDHA HALL- 23/06/17

Post by sankark »

CRama wrote: 24 Jun 2017, 12:54 An excellent concert for two hours fifteen minutes.
Indeed. Caught it in yt @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F-k-PFgs3o

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Happy to note that Aiswarya did full justice to the Main kriti without resorting to any 'namesake RTP' towards the end of the concert. Congrats.
(If at all someone wants to sing a RTP, it can substitute for the main so that adequate time/ attention to details could be devoted to it.).The pakkamelam artists have played with due sensitivity.

The viruttham has also been handled with due importance and reverence.

A concert in 'Margam' style if you want a parallel in Bharatanatyam.

Thanks Parivadini for the webcast and sankark for providing a link in the thread for ready reference with CRama's review.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

CRama wrote: 24 Jun 2017, 12:54An awesome concert.
From first note to last. I feel that her voice si becoming more mellow, and her concerts are better and better in past year or two.

pperumal

Post by pperumal »

A mellifluous concert.
Sri, Devagandhari and Natakuranji....good to hear these solid ragams handled on the stage - rather than the 'usual suspects'!!
Keep it up Aiswarya.

- PP.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

From top to bottom, a superlative concert. Her ease with slow and fast, her confidence, and her planning were all commendable for a musician, period, irrespective of age. The only thing I feel she could work on is definitely the mix of fast and slow numbers. While the rasikas in Raga Sudha will be willing to listen to this, I hope she includes more fast krithis in places like Music Academy or NGS during the season to sustain audience interest.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Very good observations by melam72.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Many of the young artists need to slow down. Let us be glad that Aishwarya doesn't have that problem!

I think I made some very positive comments earlier. I don't think I have any negative comments to make, but if I have to suggest steps towards her being even better, I'd say she could relax a little more. In the short term, maybe even singing slower might help. She is not short of confidence; she is not short of experience; she is not short of a wonderful guru... she needs to add a little more relaxation in the higher notes, and then they will become that little percentage smoother and sweeter. I wouldn't even call my comments criticism. It isn't. It is just my ideas about how the good could become even better.

And hey, what do I know... I can't even sing!