Madhuradhwani -Trichur V Ramachandran Vocal - 24th June 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Trichur V Ramachandran Vocal,
M Chandrashekaran Violin
Tiruvarur Bhakathavatchalam Mridnagam
B S Purushothaman Kanjira.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W793k9NmIu0

Neranamithi - Kanada Varnam
Vara Vallabha Ramana - Hamsadhwani [S] - GNB
Yochana Kamala - Darbar [S] - T
Marivere - Lathangi [A, NS @ marivEre dikkevaru rAmayya] - Patnam
Thygarajaya Namasthe - Begada [A, S @ sakalAgama mantra tantra] - MD
Indira Ramana - Khamas [A] - Mysore Vasudevacharya
Emani - Veeravasantham - T
Kaddanuvariki - Thodi [A,NS @ baddu tappaka bhajiyincE bhakta pAlanamu sEyu] - T
Thani
Karanam Kettu Vadi - Purvi Kalyani - GKB
Muralidara Gopala - Mand - ??
Slokam
Pavamana - Mangalam

Some Aha moments by MC. Still don't understand why he is not mentioned in the same list as Lalgudi, MSG & TNK.

narayara000

Re: Madhuradhwani -Trichur V Ramachandran Vocal - 24th June 2017

Post by narayara000 »

Amazing concert from beginning to end, especially Thodi.

What a thodi alapana!

Some rare krithis.

Thiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam and MC took the concert to a new level!

Govindaswamy

Post by Govindaswamy »

Is not Sudhdhanada Bharathi the composer of the song kAraNam kEttuvAdi

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Clean bowled by his latangi - every phrase vintage ! :D

melam72

Post by melam72 »

I really enjoyed the concert whenever Trichur Ramachandran was silent. What a pity he could make it and torture us rasikas silently with the brahmastra of off-key singing...

Can we recommend a TN Seshagopalan Dhanur Veena Sruthi Box to him?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

melam72 seems to have a totally different opinion and perhaps none of the carnatic musicians known for good rendering.He seems to have a downgrading tool for each and every performing musician.
Please upload a Video of your 3 hours concert on UTUBE.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 21:00 none of the carnatic musicians
...Who cannot stay on sruthi. Is it too much to expect musicians to stay tune? Perhaps we should be grateful that musicians like themselves still perform...

melam72

Post by melam72 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 21:00 He seems to have a downgrading tool for each and every performing musician.
Po-tay-to. Po-taah-to.

You call it downgrading tool. I call it constructive criticism.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 21:00 Please upload a Video of your 3 hours concert on UTUBE.
After you upload yours ;)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

He knows that his (melam's) silence is the sweetest. His utterances are clear tell signs of that.
Even if he uploads, Youtube may delete it on copyright issues!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

kvchellappa wrote: 25 Jun 2017, 21:52 He knows that his (melam's) silence is the sweetest.
I have been told that my singing can be weaponised. If I inflict my singing on you, then who will I engage in such debates with :lol: :lol: ?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

if you get some of the rasanai of the nostolgiers of erstwhile mylapore - who flocked to Balaamma's dance when they were old ;) - being a history buff -,you can find some acceptance of some musicians in their older days ! If visuals could be reconstructed , aural could as well be!
Last edited by shankarank on 26 Jun 2017, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

SK awardee isn't announced yet.
Meanwhile, past SKs are on trial.

Ponbhaiaravi might be inspired to write one of his humorous oeuvres on the music scene with the french revolution as the back drop--seeing heads rolling at the moment... :idea:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Melam is candid, but why that modesty limiting the terrorist power only to his singing?

melam72

Post by melam72 »

shankarank wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 02:16 if you get some of the rasanai of the nostolgiers of erstwhile mylapore - who flocked to Balaamma's dance when they were old ;) - being a history buff -,you can find some acceptance of some musicians in their older days ! If visuals could be reconstructed , aural could as well be!
Age does limit a musician's ability, in terms of both sruthi and kalapramanam adherence. But the test of a musician's ability is to re-adjust their styles around the limitations posed by age. Musicians like R Vedavalli and TV Shankaranarayanan have done this magnificently, while musicians like Trichur Ramachandran and the Bombay Sisters have made colossal fools of themselves, going from mediocre to unpalatable.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

kvchellappa wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 07:16 Melam is candid, but why that modesty limiting the terrorist power only to his singing?
I would like to refer you to this song (which I aspire NOT to be; I'd rather show than tell, which is something I tell all my students)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3bzlJSI6BQ

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I am not an expert like melam72.
The first three reviewers gave thumbs up to the concert by two Sangeethakalanidhis.
Constructive criticism is welcome,but as each and every performer gets eliminated by melam72,but most others are giving good reviews.
Of course I still go by my instincts,but will go thru the reviews.Between the good reviews posted and melam72 wanting silence from Trichur Ramachandran is the difficult choice.
I feel star rating on scale of 10 would be good covering laya,lyrics,neraval,Sruti etc.I hope experts can design this.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

hnbhagavan wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 17:25 I feel star rating on scale of 10 would be good covering laya,lyrics,neraval,Sruti etc.I hope experts can design this.
Will that make any difference? Some people will give 10 and some people will give 1 depending on how they perceived the concert with their own prejudices in mind...

Constructive criticism => yeah right. TVR's is busy checking rasikas.org to make sure he doesn't make the same mistakes anymore, could impede him on getting Sangitha Kalanidhi you know, ohh wait ..

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

What makes criticism bad is not that it it is adverse, but that it lacks propriety.
This section is about 'concert reviews' and ideally comments must be on a concert. Not on a singer based on some general impressions, even if valid.
It is not clear whether the 'critic' (a dubious term in this context) listened to the concert of TVR.
What makes the comments ugly and un-printworthy is its implied berating of other rasikas who found good aspects in the concert which they have not only listened to, but appreciated.
Even in respect of a few other musicians this has been done by a few 'rasikas' and those musicians have been appreciated by the knowledgeable and even the great musicians of the time.
It does not matter if someone is a great teacher and a wizard in technical aspects of music able to recognize each and every ga in thodi. He may still be a bad critic, and not unlikely that he misses the wood for the trees and reality for his fads.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Chellappa,
Agree with you on most of what you say, but your opening line is an iffy for me, because I can transpose it and feel more comfortable with it! That is, criticism may lack propriety (which with our show and tell man is mostly the case), but 'adversity'? That is almost slander, isn't it?
He knows his stuff, we like him for that. His communicative skills and the resources he goes to are impressive. His humorous takes are entertaining, but he is a 'humorous man' in the shakespearean sense also...(as Touchstone speaks of the duke in As You Like It) :(

I stop, before I become a slanderer's slanderer...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I do see your point. "Adverse' is not the apt word perhaps. What I mean is pointing out deficiency, lapse, or non-aesthetic aspects, non-alignment with sruti, say.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

MaheshJi,

Trichur Ramachandran is already a Sangeethakalanidhi and so is M Chandrasekharan.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

It's well known that TVR is one such musician who can't maintain shruti.. what's big fuss here ? He is past his prime, and doesn't perform much these days. But, when he sings shruti aligned, it is a treat.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

arasi wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 19:42 I stop, before I become a slanderer's slanderer...
More like Slanderer's slanderer's slanderer - one level of recursion missing out there ;). I have been quite fair - I did not spare Subramania Bharati even ;) or greats like PMI..

As regards showing and telling - showing helps people form their own reading/judgement/opinion different from the telling 8-)

Sense of humor differs from culture or sub-culture to sub-culture - and I am not well read on Shakespeare to understand what you said.
Last edited by shankarank on 27 Jun 2017, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

MaheshS wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 18:45 Some people will give 10 and some people will give 1 depending on how they perceived the concert with their own prejudices in mind...
If you are a novice and don't like a well established musician because of his flaws that is one thing ... but prejudices apart ( you may like it or not like it kind of things.. ) applying criteria indiscriminately ( especially for a well informed person) - like the one that should be applied for much younger musicians and up-comers - is the issue!
pattamaa wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 21:00 It's well known that TVR is one such musician who can't maintain shruti.. what's big fuss here ? He is past his prime, and doesn't perform much these days. But, when he sings shruti aligned, it is a treat.
It is true that TNS in some of his best times - like the Trivandrum concert ( kamalAmbam Bhajare ) with CSM and Veeru - can be spotted as off key because somebody sings behind him who is not quite that off key, as that person is heard alone in a snippet ( not sure if that was NSG).

And TVR may be on his prime days even ...

If they still established themselves nevertheless in their hey-days - laya rasikatvam was intact then I suppose - which is a waning trait nowadays!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarank wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 00:14
arasi wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 19:42 I stop, before I become a slanderer's slanderer...
I am not well read on Shakespeare to understand what you said.
kaTratu kaimaNNalavu kallAtatu webb-aLavU ;)

http://www.shmoop.com/as-you-like-it/touchstone.html - thanks arasi - if that is directed towards me - that is a badge of honor ! :D If not I am sad I missed it - may be I jumped the gun!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Staying with Shakespeare...nAn kallAdadu ulagaLavu--of his works too. Yet, I adore him.

Comedy of Errors here: I thought the show and tell man was Melam (wasn't he the one who said that his students are taught that way?). So, I was addressing him...

Touchstone refers to the Duke (who's the usurper), and by humor, he really means the duke's ill humor.

As for the slanderers slanderer, I'm afraid Shakespeare isn't guilty. Those are my words, I'm afraid :oops:

melam72

Post by melam72 »

To clarify:

1. I listened to the entirety of Trichur Ramachandran's concert, with the exception of the Thodi piece. Even in the beginner (Kanada varnam) he not only went off-sruthi, but also off-tala. The concert went downhill after that, with brief sparks of brilliance when singing Begada and the Khamas piece.

2. M Chandrasekharan and Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam were absolutely superb. The Latangi alapana played by Chandru was superb, as was the energetic accompaniment given by Bhaktavatsalam (which suited the aggressive temperament of TVR and Chandru). Even though it was nothing like the vocal support people like MLV and TV Shankaranarayanan have, the vocal support rendered by Easwaran Bhattadri (AFAIK, TVR's only disciple), was competent. The missing 'cog', so to speak is TVR.

3. TVR keeps going off tune because he insists on attempting brigas and fast passages when his voice couldn't handle that. I understand TVR has extreme 'gurubhakti', but he doesn't need to emulate GNB in that regard. He needs to slow down.

4. Agreed, feedback doesn't matter to him, but, as a listener, it is my duty to render my feedback unto him. To quote Rajaji in the 1937 Hindi imposition controversy - 'it is like Chutney in the corner of the leaf; take it or leave it!'

5. Criticism is NOT slander. No one is perfect. TO quote Ravikiran, 'perfection is not a destination, it is a journey'. In this journey of perfection, we MUST point out flaws in the musicians in a BALANCED manner, else the musicians will be lost in their delusion that their music is perfect and will deteriorate (a la Nithyasree or Unnikrishnan). Slander is when I criticise him for no reason- tell me, is going off tune, off beat, of rendering unnecessary brigas is not enough to criticise him?

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

:lol: 'it is like Chutney in the corner of the leaf; take it or leave it :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Melam,
Your 'Boar'AvatArA seems to have more balance--you carry the music world on your muzzle with more care it seems (I say this, strictly based on what you have said above in your post--not the rest, I'm afraid). Carry on this way, and we will not think of you as the chatni in the corner of the leaf. You are much more than that to us... :!:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

That review is a lot better than summary condemnation of an artist. It is one view; the previous view was complimentary.
An artist may go mad if he reads all views. The best he would do is introspect. All artists have the voice and sruti problem sometime or other and more as they age. If still people go to listen to them, they see some value by past association. That makes them overlook the faults, something very common in human relationship. There is no need to be caustic or categorical. If two different views cannot live together, marriage would have failed altogether!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The differing views while a few complementing on the quality of concert and the other view totally a different one which held the view that the concert was off Shruti for most part.perhaps age related reason can be attributed due to TVR's excellent record in his earlier years.
However the musicians should take the criticisms on merits and corrections applied for future.
thanks to melam72 for his forthright views.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

melam72 wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 10:38
4. Agreed, feedback doesn't matter to him, but, as a listener, it is my duty to render my feedback unto him. To quote Rajaji in the 1937 Hindi imposition controversy - 'it is like Chutney in the corner of the leaf; take it or leave it!'
Actually these reviews just exhibit your total lack of social grace and propriety. Kind of like fecal matter on toilet paper. We close our collective noses and look the other way. As much as we can!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

sureshvv wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 16:10 As much as we can!
Try harder.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

sureshvv wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 16:10 Actually these reviews just exhibit your total lack of social grace and propriety
I don't blame you.

Unlike you, I am capable of independent thought and don't take everything at face value. I do not play jalra to musicians just because they get a title or two.

So don't take it on yourself; it is not you, it is me ;)

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Let us not lose sight of this forum and let us maintain dignity of conversation.Personal attack is not called for.melam72 has as much right to convey his views as any other member.his remarks are very straight and frank.Please continue constructive criticism.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

hnbhagavan wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 18:39 Let us not lose sight of this forum and let us maintain dignity of conversation.Personal attack is not called for.melam72 has as much right to convey his views as any other member.his remarks are very straight and frank.Please continue constructive criticism.
We all hope our criticism is constructive.

May be I should elaborate where I am coming from. When TVR or TNS or TVS or someone of a similar stature is invited to present a concert, it is rarely for the performance of singing. They bring with them an awesome tradition, something that has been built over several decades of service to the art form. This service has been done only because of their single minded passion and great equanimity. Numerous competent artistes have left the field prematurely or just do not perform, partly because of their vexation with parasitic naysayers who seek to drag down anyone they can for a share of the limelight. Another reason the organizers feature these concerts is the nostalgia element. for the memories of another era that these giants are able to bring alive.

I find it extremely distasteful when someone with no appreciation for the sacrifice of these jambavans, who doesn't take the time to even go to the concert hall watches a video and then attempts to review the performance.

May be I am over reacting!
Last edited by sureshvv on 28 Jun 2017, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Being frank is not the same as being rude. We have seen a lot of honourable ways, even amusing withour being spiteful, to express a critical opinion. It is on record how some members have been caustic and sweeping in comments. That is not frank and is a spoiler. We must point out and it may bring some improvement as is in evidence in this thread.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

only went off-sruthi, but also off-tala
There are plenty that keep Sruti, and tALam but cannot produce music of any impact! Technical parameters should be used with care with a bigger picture in mind.
He needs to slow down
If he slows down there is no TVR anymore. That's the whole point. Look at his kArvai filled svarams for latangi - lots of youngsters are quite technically brilliant these days and from technical stand point there nothing mysterious or complex - but that control! and expression - something for people to take - even the rasikas to improve their appreciation of the younger musicians!

And those are the things for which you want seniors to sing!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Suresh VV is right.When i attend the concert of say TN Krishnan,i attend with great respect for the passion with which he has performed for several decades.Even Sri TVR is a very senior musician and hence great tradition is associated with.Off Shruti and Off Tala as pointed out by melam72 is for highly technical people.Let me be frank.As an ordinary rasika i did enjoy TVR's concert which is very rare indeed.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bhagwan,
May I remind you that just as life is not straight forward, expressions in art (music here) are not. Criticism of it certainly is not. That too, when it is seasoned with vitriolic.

I see how you are impressed with Melam's output. We all are to some extent, but we should pause and think about its intent and the injury it incurs.

With all the wonderful music which is out there, we all have our own preferences AND our specific tastes. We can all speak our minds about them, but HOW is the question! Melam reminds us of a scene where kids are trying out as to how far they can throw pebbles, and he aims it at windows in the vicinity! His pet targets (ha!) get the full impact of it all. An elder musician (or younger ones for that) needn't be treated to 'kallAl oruvan aDikka, villAl the very same one aDikka' (be stoned and be targeted by arrows by the very same person).

Yet, look at the bright side! Sureshvv, Chellappa and shankarank coming up with some wisdom in their posts above :)

melam72

Post by melam72 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 19:37 Off Shruti and Off Tala as pointed out by melam72 is for highly technical people
My sister-in-law also sings with such bhavam.

She has learnt from so many people. Indeed, she has flitted from guru to guru!

When she sings, she holds the first note, and then all other notes scuttle at fear at the perfection and precision of that one note!

Not only that, when she sings her swarams, she puts talam for the swaram, instead of the reverse!

You willing to listen to her :twisted: ;) ?

melam72

Post by melam72 »

shankarank wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 19:06 If he slows down there is no TVR anymore.
If he sings at this pace, there is no shruti anymore!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

sureshvv wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 18:44 They bring with them an awesome tradition, something that has been built over several decades of service to the art form. This service has been done only because of their single minded passion and great equanimity.
They might be the son of innaar, the disciple of innaarukku innaar, and may be the guru of some mahan, but the basic expectation is that you hold a note. You don't go out of talam. As I tell my students - it doesn't matter what you know or what you've done if you are unable to present it at the right moment.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

shankarank wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 19:06 There are plenty that keep Sruti, and tALam but cannot produce music of any impact!
Yeah, but everyone HAS to keep sruti and talam to produce music in the first place!!!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Unfortunately, we have no access to your students to know whether you really produce the right notes in the class, or it being history, it is not needed. You are fortunate that your employer has compelled anonymity on you as you make us believe. Do you honestly believe that only you, of all the rasikas in this forum, know such precious nuggets on music, or that only you know how to enjoy music and others are impostors?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Chellappa Sir,

Looks like melam72 will produce the next generation perfect musicians!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bhagwan,
The new generation of musicians seem to be in charge--that is, they are confident and don't seem as if they're going to be perturbed by insensitive criticism. Of course, they hope for reviews on their concerts for a feedback and for some good words on their performance, but hopefully they are strong enough to ignore pot shots.

Decorum is no doubt appreciated in any post. Humor is fine, but humor at someone's expense is certainly in bad taste...

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 18:44 They bring with them an awesome tradition, something that has been built over several decades of service to the art form. This service has been done only because of their single minded passion and great equanimity.
melam72 wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 21:29 They might be the son of innaar, the disciple of innaarukku innaar, and may be the guru of some mahan,
Diversionary tactic!
but the basic expectation is that you hold a note. You don't go out of talam. \
Nope! The only expectation is that they grace the auditorium with their presence.
As I tell my students - it doesn't matter what you know or what you've done if you are unable to present it at the right moment.
I hope your students get their lessons on grace and etiquette somewhere else.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

melam72 wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 21:30
shankarank wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 19:06 There are plenty that keep Sruti, and tALam but cannot produce music of any impact!
Yeah, but everyone HAS to keep sruti and talam to produce music in the first place!!!
Those are things very appropriate to say to students. A musician of such experience - will he deliberately do it? In fact no musician even younger will deliberately do it.

There are two things - a honest mistake on tALam , or a note slipping - occasional human frailty - age related as well. Second something inherently an issue with time sense - different issue. Most musicians as they age will have difficulties with Sruti - like catching even upper sa etc - especially for a demanding idiom like CM. With Chennai air pollution ( and including water as well - the so called mineral water) most musicians are facing that at younger age with their timbre ( I saw your question on scratchiness of RKM's voice). I am surprised sometimes, with what they put out, that many musicians still have voice left!