RAMAKRISHNAN MURTHY @ Chromepet 23 July 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sivaramakrishnan

RAMAKRISHNAN MURTHY @ Chromepet 23 July 2017

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Venue : Sree Ram Samaj, Vasantha Mandapam
Radha Nagar, Chromepet, Chennai
23.07.2017 (Sunday)

Artists:
Ramakrishnan Murthy - Vocal
L Ramakrishnan - Violin
K V Prasad - Mridangam
Madipakam Murali- Ghatam

Time: 6.30 – 9.10 pm.

1. Kalyani- Varnam –Vanajakshi - Aadi
2. Sourashtram- Suryamurthey- Aadi- Dikshitar
3. Nalinakanthi-Manavyala-Aadi- Tyagaraja
4. Dhanyasi-Paruvamparka Nyaayama- Aanaiyya
5. Varali- Aazhimazhaikkanna- Aadi -Aandaal Tiruppaavai
6. Dwijavanti-Chetha:Sri Balakrishnam – Rupaka-Dikshitar
7. Begada-Lokavanachatura-Aadi-Tyagaraja: (Main)
8. Kaikavasi-Vachamagochara- Aadi-Tyagaraja
9. Yamunakalyani-Haridasulu-Aadi-Tyagaraja
10.Maanchi-Varugalamo-Misra chapu-Gopalakrishna Bharati
11.Bagesree-Sagarasayana Vibho-M D Ramanathan
12.Poorvikalyani-Tirupugazh.
Mangalam

The Monthly programme of SreeRam Samaj featuring front-ranker young Ramakrishnan Murthy was quite impressive and conforming to the traditional values of a Carnatic music concert. Despite the various Drama festivals in many parts of the metropolis conducted as part of Kodai Nataka Vizha (coinciding with an off season for carnatic music), the event attracted a good audience turn out.

The singer was clearly not after ‘fast numbers’. ‘Suryamurthe’ – the Navagraha Vaara kriti came in appropriately after the Varnam. ‘Manavyala’ was rendered at a reasonable pace with several rounds of precise swaraprastaras with the young violinist and the veteran percussionists joining in with verve.

Dhanyasi aalapana was ‘sampradayic’ with perceptible voice modulation to bring in the aesthetic element. Tanjavur Aanaiayya’s kriti is not commonly heard in concerts and was well received. Next, a brief sketch of Varali was followed by the famous Tirupavai - Aazhimazhaikkanna. Niraval (at Margazhi neeraadi) was dealt in detail.

The celebrated Dikshitar Kriti Cheta:Sri Balakrishnam was sung with total submission to the time tested sangatis. K V Prasad apparently sang along in his instrument.

Begada - the ‘main’ of the concert had a laid back aalapana (I could note the ‘T Brinda’ pattern in the raga essay especially in the first half). ‘Lokavanachatura Pahi maam’– has the Pallavi and anupallavi in Sanskrit and all the three Charanams in Telugu. Ramakrishnan Murthy sang the mudra charana as is in vogue. Though Niraval was not sung, the swara prastaras at Pallavi especially in the 'keezhkaalam' was evocative of the ragabhava. Tani by K V Prasad ably supported by Murali gave some exquisite korvais with an attractive 'poruttham' for the final 'eduppu' at 'Samam'.

Vachamagochara which opened the so called Tukkada segment was in fact a listener’s choice. The piece de resistance was however ‘Varugalamo’ in Maanchi famed by Palghat KV Narayanaswami. Ramakrishnan Murthy more than lived upto the expectations of the discerning audience with his highly involved rendition.

Mr Seshadri, the organiser of the event felicitated the artists briefly. But for his enthusiasm concerts may not be frequent in the suburb that is Chromepet.
Last edited by Sivaramakrishnan on 25 Jul 2017, 13:24, edited 2 times in total.

Sachi_R

Re: RAMAKRISHNAN MURTHY @ Chromepet 23 July 2017

Post by Sachi_R »

Sivaramakrishnan
Thank you! Enjoyed the review.
How many km did you travel to attend this concert?

For those interested, many clips from RKM's Bombay concert are recently uploaded on You Tube by First Edition Arts.

Sivaramakrishnan

Sachi,
It's, in fact, the other way round! I have to travel 15-20 km to reach the Carnatic hub - Alwarpet/ Mylapore. Of course I do that for attending important events. But
as a resident of Chromepet, I am only too happy when concerts happen here. For records, a distance of 1.5 km. from my residence!
Thank you, Ji, for the query which perhaps I am more than eager to answer!

Well, shall look up to YouTube for the uploads. Thanks again.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I am sure you're the Fire Fox rasika savouring the Mozilla of a Carnatic Opera in Chromepet, which surely gives it the Edge!🖐

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Sachi_R wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 18:35 I am sure you're the Fire Fox rasika savouring the Mozilla of a Carnatic Opera in Chromepet, which surely gives it the Edge!🖐
Sabash :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sivaramakrishnan

That's quite a compliment. Thanks Sachi!

Let's come back to Ramakrishnan Murthy. I understood that RKM is learning music under RKSK who is basically a violin vidwan. On the other hand many instrumentalists are learning from vocalists. One has to be a 'compleat' musician to be a guru these days. Times have changed. As Neyveli Santhanagopalan puts it, these are days of 'Sishya kula's rather than Gurukulas.

It's heartening that Carnatic music is not losing ground.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sivaramakrishnan,
Please watch these videos. It gives a good insight into RKM.

By the way, Mahesh, I should have written like this:
Glad that isn't a Safari for a Fire Fox rasika like you to enjoy the Mozilla of a Carnatic kutcheri Opera in Chromepet - yoi therefore have the Edge, sir!

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Sachi_R wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 20:05 By the way, Mahesh, I should have written like this:
Glad that isn't a Safari for a Fire Fox rasika like you to enjoy the Mozilla of a Carnatic kutcheri Opera in Chromepet - yoi therefore have the Edge, sir!
Unlike me, who has to Explore the Internet for concerts :D

Sivaramakrishnan

Sachi and Mahesh, let's come back to Ramakrishnan Murthy's concert!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Ramakrishnan Murthy presenta a traditional and a balanced carnatic Music never indulging unnecessary experimentation unlike Abhishek.I wish Abhishek also sticks to a normal concert without overdoing in gimmicks.
among the younger generation RKM is a real gem for CM world.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Brilliant...