Malladi Brothers @ Unnati on 7.8.2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kssr

Malladi Brothers @ Unnati on 7.8.2017

Post by kssr »

Unnati- 7.8.2017, Monday

Malladi Brothers-BU Ganesh Prasad- Mannargudi Eswaran- Guruprasanna

Song List:
1. Ninne kori- Kaanada Varnam- Tiruvathiyoor Thyagaraja
Swaram @ Kannada seya
2. Gajananayaruchu sadaa raadha – Thodi –Composer not known-Coming down from Pinakapaani garu’s guru
3. Narasimha nannu brovave- Bilahari Ragam- S @pallavi. Thyagaraja. In praise of Sholinganallur Narasimha
4. Chandram bhaja manasa- Asaveri- Matya – MD
5. Maathangi sree raja rajeswari maamava- Ramamanohari (Ramapriya) –MD. S @ Maathangi
6. Kathale vaadu kaade Ramudu – Thyagaraja.
7. Main: Mukhari Ragam- Muripemo kalige. N @ Kaveri…Malayamaaruthamu. S @ Eadu leni Malayamarurhamu. Thyagaraja-In praise of Rama @ Panchanadeeswara
8. Mooruthiyana nilliso –kamas- PD
9. Virutham: Saanthakaaram Bhujaga …Ragamalika Mohanan, Bagesri, Hamirkalyani
(Total Bhajan type) Kamala nayana jagadeeswara- Bagadeeswari- swathi-music by BMK- Also taught directly by BMK
10. Govinda Sundara Mohana- Dwajavanti- Ramadasu-tuned by Voleti. Sung in two kaalams
11. Yethuta gunnadudhiri ee baaludu? – Bhujanga? (chakravaaham minus panchamam, we were told)
12. Mangalam

Comments:
a. I have always been amazed by the 100% synchronisation of the two singers.
b. The extraordinary thing for me personally in this concert was that not a single item was familiar to me.(except saanthakaaram, of course). Sad. I came back home and reported the list to my wife. Almost each one, except for the post main items, was familiar to her. Even more saddened !!! :x
c. Sriram Prasad gaaru gave explanations at frequent intervals. Haven’t seen them doing it in the past. May be the rub off from Maragazhi utsavam’s thematic concerts where it is somehow imperative to force fit the songs to vague themes like Spirituality and so on. :)
d. The highlight of the concert was definitely the thani by maestro Easwaran gaaru. Unique experience indeed. I have heard him play in several concerts in the past; but nothing comes close to the sparkling high octane high speed thani which was brilliant, sharp, and absolutely clear. He said he was 72. When he is on mridangam he is only 27. Great inspiration to youngsters. Guruprasanna did well to match the master . People clapped, clapped and clapped in sheer delight.
e. It was a “standard” Malladi concert although nothing made an extraordinary impact. Probably due to the selection of rare songs for the entire concert.

ram1999

Re: Malladi Brothers @ Unnati on 7.8.2017

Post by ram1999 »

Kathale vaadu kaade Ramudu – Thyagaraja - narayanagowla

Bhujanga? - Bhujangini - kriti of Annmacharya tuned by Sri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy

A typical Dr. Pani school fare. I havnt heard the thodi though.

They have a huge repertoire, thanks to their learning directly from their father Sri Suri Babu (who was a direct disciple of Sri Voleti) and Sri Nedunuri and Sri Pani. Amazing !!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

gajAnana yanucu is by Chinnikrishnadasa.

sankark

Post by sankark »

kssr wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 13:58 3. Narasimha nannu brovave- Bilahari Ragam- S @pallavi. Thyagaraja. In praise of Sholinganallur Narasimha
Should be Sholingur near Arakkonam, not Sholinganallur in Chennai Metro.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

kssr wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 13:58
7. Main: Mukhari Ragam- Muripemo kalige. N @ Kaveri…Malayamaaruthamu. S @ Eadu leni Malayamarurhamu. Thyagaraja-In praise of Rama @ Panchanadeeswara
Don't think I have ever heard them sing a Mukhari main that was not Muripemu... but I guess it is a staple of their school

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

narayara000 wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 21:33
kssr wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 13:58
Don't think I have ever heard them sing a Mukhari main that was not Muripemu... but I guess it is a staple of their school
they sing emaninne - subbaraya sastry, again from the voleti /nedunuri stables

CRama

Post by CRama »

In Mudhra, they sang Muripemo as main song two years ago.

kssr

Post by kssr »

One interestic non musical observation during the concert:

After the customary vote of thanks, the artists were garlanded by one of the donors. The brothers kept the garland on till the end of the concert. I thought it was a nice gesture towards the organisation and the audience on whose behalf they are garlanded. To take it off in a flash as if it is some kind of trash, which is the standard practice, is to me in a bit of bad taste. I remember once when TNS was given a bouquet during a concert, he took time to place it carefully in front of him with the flowers facing the audience before continuing. It gives a warm feeling to everyone. May their tribe of mutual respect thrive.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

deleted

iamnothurt

Post by iamnothurt »

kssr wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 13:58 Unnati- 7.8.2017, Monday

Malladi Brothers-BU Ganesh Prasad- Mannargudi Eswaran- Guruprasanna

Song List:
1. Ninne kori- Kaanada Varnam- Tiruvathiyoor Thyagaraja
Swaram @ Kannada seya
2. Gajananayaruchu sadaa raadha – Thodi –Composer not known-Coming down from Pinakapaani garu’s guru
3. Narasimha nannu brovave- Bilahari Ragam- S @pallavi. Thyagaraja. In praise of Sholinganallur Narasimha
4. Chandram bhaja manasa- Asaveri- Matya – MD
5. Maathangi sree raja rajeswari maamava- Ramamanohari (Ramapriya) –MD. S @ Maathangi
6. Kathale vaadu kaade Ramudu – Thyagaraja.
8. Mooruthiyana nilliso –kamas- PD
9. Virutham: Saanthakaaram Bhujaga …Ragamalika Mohanan, Bagesri, Hamirkalyani
(Total Bhajan type) Kamala nayana jagadeeswara- Bagadeeswari- swathi-music by BMK- Also taught directly by BMK
10. Govinda Sundara Mohana- Dwajavanti- Ramadasu-tuned by Voleti. Sung in two kaalams
11. Yethuta gunnadudhiri ee baaludu? – Bhujanga? (chakravaaham minus panchamam, we were told)
12. Mangalam

Comments:
a. I have always been amazed by the 100% synchronisation of the two singers.
b. The extraordinary thing for me personally in this concert was that not a single item was familiar to me.(except saanthakaaram, of course). Sad. I came back home and reported the list to my wife. Almost each one, except for the post main items, was familiar to her. Even more saddened !!! :x
c. Sriram Prasad gaaru gave explanations at frequent intervals. Haven’t seen them doing it in the past. May be the rub off from Maragazhi utsavam’s thematic concerts where it is somehow imperative to force fit the songs to vague themes like Spirituality and so on. :)
d. The highlight of the concert was definitely the thani by maestro Easwaran gaaru. Unique experience indeed. I have heard him play in several concerts in the past; but nothing comes close to the sparkling high octane high speed thani which was brilliant, sharp, and absolutely clear. He said he was 72. When he is on mridangam he is only 27. Great inspiration to youngsters. Guruprasanna did well to match the master . People clapped, clapped and clapped in sheer delight.
e. It was a “standard” Malladi concert although nothing made an extraordinary impact. Probably due to the selection of rare songs for the entire concert.

was a little surprised to see people leaving the hall at regular intervals in this concert which is not the case usually in their concert.

However felt that Sriram Prasad was visibly annoyed by the loud percussion (though he complimented Mannargudi's energy initially- it was not sounded a compliment though seeing his expression later on) and hv seen him showing a gesture to Guruprasanna to play softly..

iamnothurt

Post by iamnothurt »

kssr wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 15:57 One interestic non musical observation during the concert:

After the customary vote of thanks, the artists were garlanded by one of the donors. The brothers kept the garland on till the end of the concert. I thought it was a nice gesture towards the organisation and the audience on whose behalf they are garlanded. To take it off in a flash as if it is some kind of trash, which is the standard practice, is to me in a bit of bad taste. I remember once when TNS was given a bouquet during a concert, he took time to place it carefully in front of him with the flowers facing the audience before continuing. It gives a warm feeling to everyone. May their tribe of mutual respect thrive.
the elder of the Trichur brothers did the same thing . Both the brothers even stood up to receive the garland. in any of the concerts i hv attended, no artiste got up to take the garland!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Kssr,
Your appreciation of the artistes' continuing to wear the garland finds an echo with me. I found the garlands they gave the artistes to be really beautiful and fresh flowers too. I think garlanding of artistes should be done before the concert. It surely creates an auspicious vibe.
Attended RKM and Pandit Venkatesh Kumar concerts. As usual, impeccable organisation. Very memorable concerts.

Venkatesh Kumar sang Murutiyanu nilliso in Kafi. Each of his seven items received a long ovation. Such was the impact.

arasi

Post by arasi »

So nice! I'm all for flowers--the ones who are allergic to any particular flower/pollen are excused, of course if she/he chooses to acknowledge the gesture with a namaskAram and puts the garland aside.

Some of you know where this leads me. Gaudy shawls. They are more pervasive than they used to be some years ago when I complained about them. Sachi posted a picture of a lovely array of shawls for us (unlike those good for nothing ones). I know I'm in the minority. As for the honorees? Well, it depends. I have made it a habit of observing the post-honoring moment. Watch how many of them shed them in a hurry :) A few fold them meticulously...!

Oh, and I do hope that the merchants of those glittery, not really usable shawls support music with their profits. I have to admit that once in a blue moon, I do see a shawl which looks as if it can be used--in cotton, wool or even silk.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Arasi: In Bangalore it is not unusual for artists to wear shawls when they come for a concert- both men and women. They wear it folded around the shoulders (like Sri.TVS does) and fully open and wrapped around the body (ladies in place of sweaters during winter months), open fully, bunch the two ends and wear around the neck , equal length on both sides and other styles. men also wear dark shawls- green, maroon, etc., The regular cream coloured one is most used. I understand your comment about the jigina(glittering) shawls but respectable organisations present artists with highly usable decent ones.

I guess it may be used for recirculation like the wall clock gift during grihapravesams :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, kssr. My peeve is only about those 'jigina' ones (dazzlers). All the ones you describe are appropriate. Yes, either present them with those, or not at all, is how I feel :)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

That jigina many times ( depends on the pattern used) encodes the cultural thought of the orient! Now the same pattern thinking is in temple architecture and the construction of thillanas , and singing modes in a Pallavi, the general geometric progressions in music as well. May be they can dazzle less - with threads - but then won't be visible prominently.

That also says that a dancer cannot be lazy not to change to a patterned dress after dancing for a thematic number , back to the traditional pattern dress! The imprint of cultural thought should reflect ( pardon the pun) everywhere ;)

alphakrishnan

Post by alphakrishnan »

Lakshmanji - Do you have lyrics for the thodi krithi gajanana?