RK Shriramkumar Violin Concert 19th Aug Raga Sudha hall

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Rakesh Chari

RK Shriramkumar Violin Concert 19th Aug Raga Sudha hall

Post by Rakesh Chari »

Rk Shriramkumar Violin
K Arunprakash Mrudangam
BS Purushotaman Kanjira

Concert started around 620PM. Ended at 9PM. Very Good concert. peaceful

1. Sujana Jeevana Ragam Kamas - Alapana
2. Vidulaku - Mayamalava gowla - Neraval swaram in CHaranam
3. Badalika dheera - Reetigowla - Swaram in pallavi
4. Thalli ninnu - Kalyani - Ragam, Neraval Swaram NS in GadhaSaroja
5. Chetasri - Dwijavanti - Ragam
6. Sarasiruhanana - Mukhari - Breezy
7. Thiruvadi Charanam - Kambhoji - Ragam. Neraval Swaram in Aduthu Vandha ennai
8. EHi Annapoorne(Someone Please confirm) - Punnagavarali
9. Jalaja bandhu? Surutti
10. Ramai Tharuvaye - Sindhu Bhairavi
11. Jayamangalam??? Ganta??? I was not sure...

Rks was singing with his violin. If I request 'someone to confirm' the song that is my ignorance..!! Reetigowla ragam was just too good. Kalyani danced and when he sang the first phrase of Dwijavanti, I could see Arunprakash face light up with glee. What followed in Dwijavanti was excellent...This was the highlight of the concert and I was moved by the gait he took for the composition.I did not like sarasiruhanana, Kambhoji raga alapana was just levitating. Rks knows all the compositions and we dont hear the sangatis as swarams. His neravals always brought out the effect of a vocalist singing the neraval. Aduthu vandha ennai was so aesthetic and soulful only because I heard the words as he did his bowing on the violin. Too good.

Everything about chauka kalam was too good and whenever rks ventured into 2nd speed on the neraval, somehow, I did have a thought, is there a little hesitant approach..Sometimes, felt that he goes off-key...Is it because of my ears...dont know.

Arunprakash and purushothaman were classy, soft, delicate and they did what is right for this concert. No fireworks. Dwijavanti got lifted to those heights probably due to their accompaniment too..just unobtrusive but adroitly supportive. Overall, The whole concert was so peaceful and sublime, I came out with a good feeling.

Nick H

Re: RK Shriramkumar Violin Concert 19th Aug Raga Sudha hall

Post by Nick H »

A superb and sublime concerts. The parts were wonderful and the whole exceeded their sum. The accompaniment of Arunprakash and Purushothaman was just perfect.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I was in bliss with mAyamAlava Gowla and rItiGowla - yet to hear out the rest. Pristine , exquisite , tasteful, with class!

He is singing with his violin alright, but nobody even sings like that anymore! Either they lack the voice , the breath or the control or something else like an uncontrolled attempt at a briGa or kArvai takes it away.

With RKSK, the original primary agenda of the Carnatic is being implemented with honesty and perfection! I heard it in the auto chamber - what with unlimited data package - and the effect was magical

Arun's interventions were subtle and flowy today!

Purushottaman when given a chance syncopates more in line with limitation of his instrument as it lacks Sruti. Arun's embellishments in comparison can afford to lay back a bit!

But when he gives some exclusively gumki sequences, I notice him more than the music. Gumkis will make more sense combined here and there with some other contrasting sollu! So I am taken towards the effect of music and don't particularly made to pay attention to the fact of it! I don't know how else to say it!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Rakesh Chari wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 23:07 and whenever rks ventured into 2nd speed on the neraval, somehow, I did have a thought, is there a little hesitant approach..Sometimes, felt that he goes off-key...Is it because of my ears...dont know.
Well that is sought of there in every gamaka ending and his technique ( if there is one) is like that! But I know what you are saying - I will try to get the timeline - but cannot tell if it is the same point of transition you are mentioning.

There are plenty of violinists with perfect technique of output delivery - who tailored the music to the instrument - they are called instrumentalists!

An analogy would go like this - MSV - SangItam ( with sAhityam)! Ilayaraja - music - it became the art defined in the west, Rahman the technique of the parts - the machine man!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

There were times when I was focusing on arunprakash, and times when I was focusing on purushotoman, but never because they were in any way intrusive. It was just moving the eyes to appreciate a different part of the picture.

I leave RKSK's concerts telling myself that I cannot say "he is just the best," because there are too many other wonderful violinists. But he is unique. He is a giant, and growing every time.

This I feel; Shankarank may be explaining the reasons for my feelings.