Sandeep Narayan@ragasudha hall on Sept 07th,2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

--------------------------------------------
Vocal : Sandeep Narayan
Violin : S Varadarajan
Mrudangam : T V Gopalakrishnan

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow , Free concet
Day/Duration : Thursday / 2 hours and 15 minutes
sabha/Hall : Ragasudha hall
Time : 6:30 to 8:45pm

1. viribOni (raga sketch)- bhairavi - Pachimiriyam Adiappaiah
2. gaja vadana (S) - hamsadhwani - MDR
6 mins swaras

3. janani ninnuvinA(R,S) - reetigowlai - subbaraya sastri
8 mins of alapana and 6 mins violin return
11 mins of swaras
4. thyagarAjaya namastE(R) - bEgaDa - MD
7 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return

5A. kaligi yuNtE (R N S T) - keeravani - T
12 mins alapana and 8 mins violin return
neraval in bhAguga shree rahgu for 5 mins
6 mins swaras
5B. tani for 8 mins

6. nee thAn thunai - neelambari + vasantha bhairavi + gowrimanohari + saraswati + sreeranjani + mohanakalyani + durga + jyothiswaroopini-ns chidambaram
7A. viruththam - yezhunil ezhai iganthu - behag - ??? (I would like to know whose verse is this ??)
7B. irakkam varAmal - behag - gkb
8. thillana - tAm tAm tAm udani - khamAs - patnam
9. mangalam
Last edited by rajeshnat on 08 Sep 2017, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Sandeep Narayan@ragasudha hall on Sept 07th,2017

Post by rajeshnat »

Personally for me this is a long hiatus of not hearing live carnatic music since the last concert when i heard kbmk in Los Angeles 3 months back and this is just my 3rd live concert in the last 7 months. I guess access to live music and work put me away from dearest of dear CM. Moving forward it is possible that best of live cm is behind me, who knows what is in store .

Atleast for the last few days I was looking to hear a live concert but looking at the hindu papers only gave me few 90 minutes bhel puri concerts in few venues. Atlast I thought let me hear our namba ooru paiyen sandeep in which ever ooru that i am in. The brilliant varadu always is a killer.I have not heard any live mrudangam concert of shri TVG in the last 15 years or so .

sandeep has strong and assertive gAthram and his voice throw does come out usually well . It was indeed a great start with a very lovely viriboni varnam . The second speed was not that great start possibly lack of good rhythmmic support from percussion was the reason. He modelled with a rare krithi of MDR just like how his illustrious guru sanjay does . MDR krithis are all gems and his hamsadhwani with few rounds of jathi and cittaswaras and also with swaras was quite accomplished , bit more arresting laya poruttam by mrudangam was missing during swaras.

THe days best was his reetigowlai . His alapana was lovely cascading with nice usage of podi brigas with lightning fast throw . The masterpiece of trinity divided by three composer - subbaraya sastri and his lovely krithi janani ninnuvina showcased the reetigowlai to its usual regal oomph. Begada followed with nice heavy raga alapana and the krithi of MD was sung with orderliness.

The main was keeravani,it has its multi layered aural charm a sense of plead and a sense of forceful aggression all created enough hues of enjoyment in me . The flagship krithi of T was expected and sandeep sang well. Neraval was nice and swaras were sung well noticable lack of support by mrudangam yester year maestro must have cut short more manodharam neraval and swara patterns by sandeep.

Skalyanaraman's classic ragamaliga neethan tunai was well done by sandeep in all 8 ragas . 3 or 4 decades before i wished even skalyanaraman could have taken an approach like maharajapuram santhanam to sing ragamaliga lines atleast twice.Repetition of sangathis twice adds more raga bhavam stickiness , it looks skalyanaraman recording is still followed by youngsters like Sandeep . But this is a 8 raga ragamaliga so s kalyanaraman was faithfully followed by sandeep by not repeating sangathis twice for each raga. The tukkada tail was nice with a short behag viruththam and a pleading irakkam varAmal which is always a great song. kamas thillana was just ok.

Varadu had lovely tonal quality and his crisp raga essays of reetigowlai and keeravani was superb. His returns were lovely. He is always a big A plus artist and he continued his sense of right aesthetics .

Out of all the multifaceted talents of maha vidwan TVG I always loved TVG mrudangam accompaniment ,that testimony was more in past record . Certainly shri TVG age took away the left right balance of divine mrudu angam.He had ideas in his head but the finger dexterity was not upto the mark. Many in the audience inclusive of varadu and sandeep were simply awed by the veteran star presence of TVG . i was also for say 20 minutes or so in that awe and respect mode but as concert moved on the harsh reality of mrudu angam play was aurally not that great. For varadu replays shri TVG was bit okay as during violin return the anticipation skill is minimally required .But when sandeep sang for a significant time sandeep was like his rasikas id he was in a bit of deepsand.

Overall a very good concert for 2 hours and 15 minutes

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

nI tAn tuNai is by N.S.Chidambaram.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Lakshman wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 16:54 nI tAn tuNai is by N.S.Chidambaram.
Oops I slipped by putting as ns ramachandran. Thanks Lji stand corrected.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rajeshnat wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 13:55Out of all the multifaceted talents of maha vidwan TVG I always loved TVG mrudangam accompaniment,
Me too: one of my first favourites for both vocal and mridangam
that testimony was more in past record . Certainly shri TVG age took away the left right balance of divine mrudu angam.He had ideas in his head but the finger dexterity was not upto the mark.
I think that his problem is not with his fingers, but with his ears. In this instance, for his sake, I would not have grumbled about higher volume on the speakers. He did ask for more sometimes (he did not make a big deal of it, as some younger musicians with younger ears are known to do). According to how I interpreted what I saw (and with the experience of being just a bit deaf) he was having trouble hearing both himself and others. He was looking to Varadarajan for confirmation of tuning. He did not play any of his trade-mark sruti gumki. He gave a very short thani.

He's 85, I think. He played despite all, and I was happy to see it.

(I don't know if he is keen on keeping up stage performances regularly now. If so, in-ear-monitors might be the thing, as used by musicians of other genres. He could have his own small sound system. This is something I wanted to do twenty years ago when my need was much less, but combination of ears and acoustics could make life very hard.)

Varadarajan, as always, was excellent. I enjoyed Sandeep's singing very much.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Delighted to see your review after a long while, Rajesh. One of a kind, heartfelt reactions of a passionate rasikA's genuine reactions, as usual.
Good to hear that Sandeep gave a lovely performance. His Janani sounds impressive. Takes me back to that day in Bharath Kalachar when his guru sang the same so movingly. I remember you were there too and so was Kokilam?

Nick,
Happy to know you were there too ;) And your observations about TVG are valid and sensitive. I remember hearing his playing the mridangam in one of his programs with his students--hindustAni too, at Rama Rao Hall many years ago. How deftly he played the instrument!
Varadu is in a class of his own, bless him...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nick H wrote: 08 Sep 2017, 18:03
I think that his problem is not with his fingers, but with his ears. In this instance, for his sake, I would not have grumbled about higher volume on the speakers. He did ask for more sometimes (he did not make a big deal of it, as some younger musicians with younger ears are known to do). According to how I interpreted what I saw (and with the experience of being just a bit deaf) he was having trouble hearing both himself and others. He was looking to Varadarajan for confirmation of tuning. He did not play any of his trade-mark sruti gumki. He gave a very short thani.

He's 85, I think. He played despite all, and I was happy to see it.

Nick
Possibly you got the exact cause , left right balance in ears due to years. One thing that was really great is the way he has tuned his mrudangam and he still had an incredible shruthi . Possibly he could have had an upapakkavadhyam too.