An outstanding concert by Sriranjani

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kvchellappa

An outstanding concert by Sriranjani

Post by kvchellappa »

Sriranjani Santhanagopalan:
Really enjoyed performing for "Parampara" organized by the one and only Vedanth Ramanujam! The love and care with which he organises concerts is SO heartening and brings a special zeal whenever we perform for him. Thank you Mama and hope you continue your yeoman service to Carnatic music :)
You can catch the webcast of our concert at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... UGoU21LygI

sureshvv

Re: An outstanding concert by Sriranjani

Post by sureshvv »

Fantastic concert. Standard fare, notwithstanding post-main, but presented exquisitely. B.Ananthakrishnan on the violin really plays to the strengths of the main artiste that he accompanies.

sankark

Post by sankark »

sureshvv wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 12:53 Fantastic concert.
Fantastic doesn't certainly fit the nereval @ https://youtu.be/WUGoU21LygI?t=2533. More circus, less music.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I browsed this concert and afterwards some other YT uploads.
Sriranjani is a bundle of talent and verve.
She has a precocity of ideas and adds little touches almost all the time. She also seems to have a very good "rhythmic sense".
She in fact keeps the accompanists on their toes.
Her father has imparted to her a wonderful repertoire and understanding of Carnatic music.
She will reach great heights by harnessing her energy level and staying aligned to the sruti and swarasthanas.

And sometimes exuberance has to be eschewed for meditativeness.

Overall a most welcome gift to us rasikas! God bless.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sankark wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 14:51
Fantastic doesn't certainly fit the nereval @ https://youtu.be/WUGoU21LygI?t=2533. More circus, less music.
Wait a minute! I am assuming that you are not satisfied with the enunciation of the lyrics. But the part you have extracted is quite a bit into the neraval after she has shifted gears into high speed. Don't think it is fair or nice to call it a circus. And there is quite a bit of music notwithstanding the fact that she is slurring the words for sake of effect.

What about Manikkam vairam? Hope you allowed yourself to get there :)

The sheer sweetness in her voice and Anathakrishnan's soft accompaniment without a scratch makes this concert a keeper for me. Thanks Parivadini! And thanks to the artistes for allowing this performance to be saved and relished again and again.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

sankark wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 14:51
sureshvv wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 12:53 Fantastic concert.
sankark, I heard this just a while back driving somewhere and back! I knew and expected some reaction. You reaction is understandable. If the kriti's melodic contours could be exploited to show something, the syllable positions also could be subjected to the same treatment. We have to count that as music and not label it as circus - a feat as if singing in Sruti is not a feat - or Entertainment - as if pleasing sound is not one!

The words not being clear is a complaint every novice who has listened to film music all his life says when walking into a CM concert. You are coming from a different angle: an experienced rasika, that expects bhava expression to be intact - fine. But we have musicians also with different skills, focus , training, lineage to cover the landscape!

Some musicians are explicit in their laya - but I expect all musicians to have implicit laya and control and exploit it for it's pregnant possibilities! Else the investment done by Trinity in the form of kritis is wasted.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Now onto the concert itself: To do what she did with sAgara Sayanuni - slow and fast sections both - requires a laya Suddham in kArvais and good control - she is endowed with that!

parimaLa ranganAtham is a rare treat and I have heard this from her in another youtube version ( Cleveland?) - also before this from Vijay Siva - and kalpagam mAmi @ nAda Inbam when SVK was alive. I can tell her version is different from that of Vijay Siva's. There also she exploits for it's syllabic position potentialities!

kriti is not Sri Rangam it seems , Thiruindalur - V Sriram covered it here : http://www.thehindu.com/society/history ... 636741.ece

kAmbodhi alapana was something very measured - yet to hear the kriti. Violin return had the nOTTu phrases that always reminds me of navarasa kannada! - will post timelines later.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Two off springs of the two vidvAns I've listened to together in concerts in the past, Sriranjani and Ananthakrishnan made me wonder how each has imbibed the virtues of their sires in their own ways, fashioning them to suit their own musical personalities. To me, it was a riveting concert from start to finish. The daughter delighted me with the nuances and flow of her father's music, and all that NSG's singing would convey, even with the condition of his present voice, she did, and she promises to deliver the same kind of quality music in years to come. A smart girl, lucky one to be born to musical parents, she has the exposure to top notch music at home all the time. Seems as though she's putting her heart into her music more.

I heard her a couple of years ago in concert when I wondered about the speed at which she was singing.

This concert was a special one. Sureshvv, even the tukkaDA section, with the tillAnA was enjoyable.
The verve with which she sang the varNam! vAraNa mukha vA had clarity and spirited svarAs. Her varALi rAgam was reflective as it should be, and also had a punch which was very agreeable to me. Ananthakrishnan's playing too. ETi janma was full of bhAva. Neraval at sAgara Sayana had ease and her indulging in it was endearing.
parimaLa ranganAtham was sung meditatively, and her sangatis were finely chiseled. In orajUpu jUcEdi nyAyamA?, her addressing raghOthamA was original :) kAmbOdi rAgA started majestically and violin reply was just as good. Different shades in the rAgA were handled with ease. I loved the way she brought the bhavani (procession) of kapAli to us. All this before the mANikkam vairam sparkler--maNaMAr mAlaigaLum and other embellishments of the bhavani sung out in crystal clear fashion which was a joy to hear. Sivan would have been mighty pleased, I would imagine.
As a teen, when she sang a bhajan in a mini concert at Bengaluru, I was moved by her bhAva. I experienced it today again...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 09:32 Two off springs of the two vidvAns I've listened to together in concerts in the past, Sriranjani and Ananthakrishnan made me wonder how each has imbibed the virtues of their sires in their own ways, fashioning them to suit their own musical personalities.
Arasi,
I am pretty sure you got crossed with M A sundaresan's son MS Ananthakrishnan . This violinist is different . He is B Ananthakrishnan. His appa is Dr Balaji and you may have heard his grand father V.K. Venkata Ramanujam Iyengar , appa and thatha spent considerable time in banaras(varnasi) university as music professors . All 3 generation are truly non violinist violinist in the sense they play without much violence and intrusion. I am lying here as I have only heard the grandson and father balaji . In your early days of banaras sari, you may have heard V K Venkata Ramanujam Iyengar is my best guess. B Ananthakrishnan plays very well , all stars - upcoming and really upcoming take him as accompanist.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I think the best part of this concert is here:
https://youtu.be/WUGoU21LygI?t=1h55m26s
Her superb emotive presentation of the song made me search for the composer and lyrics. This is what I got:
viewtopic.php?p=60006#p60006

Kalki Krishnamurthi has depicted the excitement of a Naayika very well!
Hats off to Sriranjani.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 09:32

This concert was a special one. Sureshvv, even the tukkaDA section, with the tillAnA was enjoyable.
Absolutely! Did not mean to imply otherwise.

What I meant to say, it seems rather poorly, was that the song list from the pre-main and main part of the concert was more on the routine side without any surprises or twists (for example no Amirtha Behag alapana like from a couple years ago). I found the selection in the post-main section more on the adventurous side and to my liking.

Any idea about the viruttam, "Chintakulam thavirthu", she sang before the song?

@sankark... listen to this viruttam 10 times to expiate for your sin of referring to any portion of this concert as circus :) Even the percussionists seem to be moved by it.
Last edited by sureshvv on 11 Sep 2017, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

CRama

Post by CRama »

The virutham may be En thayum enakkarul thanthayum nee chinthakulam theerthu enayal kanda- from Kandar Anubhooti.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

CRama wrote: 11 Sep 2017, 12:29 The virutham may be En thayum enakkarul thanthayum nee chinthakulam theerthu enayal kanda- from Kandar Anubhooti.
Seems to be slightly different. And a bit more contemporary. May be same source.

arasi

Post by arasi »

sureshvv,
Wish I knew where the virutham line came from.

Rajesh,
Thanks for correcting me. For a moment I thought--isn't there another Ananthakrishnan, also a promising young violinist? Should have looked for the initials. Yet, this one too turned out to be another khAndAni talent! No. Haven't heard his elders. As for banaresi saris, didn't have any, until K's family gifted me with them at the wedding!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Any idea about the viruttam, "Chintakulam thavirthu", she sang before the song?
"திருவேரக நவரத்ன மாலை"
கடுக்கண் ஸ்ரீ தியாகராஜ தேசிகர் அருளியது

சிந்தா குலந்தவிர்த்து இந்தா எனக்
கருணை செய்து என் அபீஷ்டம் யாவும்
சித்திக்கவே அருள் செய்; பக்தர்க்கு இரங்கும்
என் தெய்வமே உனை நம்பினேன்.
மந்தாகினிக்கு இனிய மைந்தா!
முகுந்தற்கு மருகா! சிறந்த முருகா!
வண்ணமயில் வாகனா! பொன்னேரகப் பதியில்
வளர் சாமிநாத குருவே.

tiruvEraga navaratna mAlai
by: kaDukkaN shrI tyAgarAja dEsikar

shindA kulam tavirttu indA enak
karuNai sheidu en abISTam yAvum
siddikkavE aruL shei; bhaktarkku irangum
en deivamE unai nambinEn
mandAginikku iniya maindA !
mukundaRku marugA ! shiranda murugA !
vaNNamayil vAhanA ! ponnEragap patiyil
vaLar sAminAda guruvE !
Last edited by Pratyaksham Bala on 11 Sep 2017, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Fantastic. Father is after most religious literature, daughter follows his lead, and Bala is a pratyaksha encyclopedia!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

kvchellappa:
Thanks !
(AnAl idu migavum adikam !!)