KBMK in MA, 15/Sep/2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

KBMK in MA, 15/Sep/2017

Post by sankark »

with Akkarai Subhalakshmi, Poongulam Subramanian & B Sreesundarkumar (aka kanjira man?)

inta kOpamElarA, nava rAgamAlikai varNam (nAttai, varAli, Arabhi, sri, nAttakurinji, rItigowLai, kEdAram etc)
hindOLam brief AlApanai, sAmagAnalOlanE
vasantA sketch, sItamma mAyamma, elaborate ns@vAtAtmaja saumitri. Exquisite & Exuberant
dEvagAndhAri sketch, sAlivatIsvaram
yOchanA kamala lOchana, s@pallavi
dEsi simhAravam, srI kAntimathim, s@pallavi, energetic & explosive tani. BS did some fine single handed magic there, very good tone
ArabhimAnam vaithennai AdharippAr (rAgamAlikai)
murugA murugA ena nI sol
mangaLam

In MaheshS's terms, "bale bale" concert for 2:30 hours. First concert of the Arun Excello's 7th Year Concert Series for Navarathri.

CRama

Re: KBMK in MA, 15/Sep/2017

Post by CRama »

Sankark, Thanks for your brief review. You have made my job easier.

KBMK has got a very powerful and malleable voice. With that, it was exhuberance, exhuberance all the way. He is closely following his peer, Abhishek raghuram in exhuberance and brighas left and right. With the result, sowkhyam remained at his home. Even though Abhishek also indulges in exhuberance, may be because of his voice, there will be more sowhyam in his concert. (Even this, some may have different views). The swaras were highly vyavaharam laden. I am that way, not against vyavaharam. Perhaps, his training in Mtridangam indulges him to do that. But I have not experienced this much vyavaharam in his earlier concerts.

Reg the Varnam, it has 10 ragas (dasha ragamalika) and the ragas are 5 from the ghanaraga panchaka (Nata, Gowla, Varali, Arabhi and Sree -in this order) and 5 from the dvitiya ghanaraga panchaka (Narayana goula, Bhouli, Natakurini, Reethigowla and Kedaram.) making it Dasaragamalika varna. I have heard it from Shashank and also from Akkarai Sisters (Vague memory). Here BMK sang only eight ragams- skipping Bhowli and Narayanagowla. I think there is another versions like this.

Even though it was announced as 6 P.M, the concert started at 6.30 P.M after promos of Arun Excello projects and some devotional CD. In a concert that extended nearly two and half hours, there was only one elaborate alapana- Hemavati for the main song which ran to 15 minutes. That was excellent. Other than that, there were outlines for Hindolam and Devagandhari and a very brief alapana- may be 2 minutes for Vasantha. That Vasantha alapana was made up of random sangatis- nothing methodical. The raga bhavam came out well- albeit in a capsule form. I was disappointed that it was not a wholesome alapana. Neraval was very elaborate and applause targetted for the song Seetamma Mayamma in Vathathmaja Soumithri. That was the only neraval in the concert.

Akkarai Subbualakshmi was in top form in her alapana and returns. The percussion team was excellent. The tani was however much long- 25 minutes. Sreesunderkumar produced some magic with his kanjira.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 12:02 He is closely following his peer, Abhishek raghuram in exhuberance and brighas left and right. With the result, sowkhyam remained at his home. Even though Abhishek also indulges in exhuberance, may be because of his voice, there will be more sowhyam in his concert. (Even this, some may have different views).
Crama
I made the same point in KBMK - LOs Angeles review . But this style is bringing more crowds for sure . KBMK has to watch out for overall sowkhyam. I am just curious how did poongulam and kbmk gel , i have my own opinion but I did not attend the concert, would like to hear from you.

sankark

Post by sankark »

rajeshnat wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 13:40
CRama wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 12:02 He is closely following his peer, Abhishek raghuram in exhuberance and brighas left and right. With the result, sowkhyam remained at his home. Even though Abhishek also indulges in exhuberance, may be because of his voice, there will be more sowhyam in his concert. (Even this, some may have different views).
Crama
I made the same point in KBMK - LOs Angeles review . But this style is bringing more crowds for sure . KBMK has to watch out for overall sowkhyam.
Crowd pulling - doubtful. Just the ground floor of mail hall was open and even that was mebbe 50-60℅ full.

I didn't have the expectation. So no disappointment. Then also, sowkhyam is a very nebulous thing.

Very positive thing is that audible breathing seems to have totally disappeared.

CRama

Post by CRama »

There was no big crowd yesterday as already quoted by sankark. And there was no thunderous applause to appreciate the noice created. His voice definitely is now in good shape. He should use that to produce good music. I had heard better concerts from him. The RTP thodi concert of Pallavi Durbar curtain raiser was a good one.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Poongulam played very well with his anticipations and understanding. The volume was right- no banging. The thani was much longer- for 25 miinutes, neverthless enjoyable.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

When a learned and assiduous rasika (CRama) writes like this, KBMK should sit up and take notice:
there was only one elaborate alapana- Hemavati for the main song which ran to 15 minutes. That was excellent. Other than that, there were outlines for Hindolam and Devagandhari and a very brief alapana- may be 2 minutes for Vasantha. That Vasantha alapana was made up of random sangatis- nothing methodical. The raga bhavam came out well- albeit in a capsule form. I was disappointed that it was not a wholesome alapana. Neraval was very elaborate and applause targetted for the song Seetamma Mayamma in Vathathmaja Soumithri. That was the only neraval in the concert.
I feel it is always a deliberate and conscious move by such talented youngsters, what they want to give and whom they want to attract.
Such exuberance comes at a big price. 1.Sruti lapses. 2. Soukhyam collapses. 3. Overall concert balance prolapses.

KBMK is an ENORMOUSLY talented singer. He needn't fritter away his audience appeal. A few laya and speed fiends may love it. What about poor rasikas like me?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sanjay said in an interview, 'Let them try out their ideas and mature'.
Many of these youngsters know what they are doing. Their ideas differ from the matured rasikas like the exuberance of children is seen as risky by elders.
There may be a good crop of rasikas who like such fireworks and inhuman energy.
Of course, if sruti and naturalness is sacrificed, it will be a point they will have to mind.