Sunil Gargyan in Ragasudha Hall, 16/Sep/2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

Sunil Gargyan in Ragasudha Hall, 16/Sep/2017

Post by sankark »

For Nadopasana Music Trust
with R Rahul, Thanjavur Ramadas, S Venkataraman (khanjira)

vanajAkshi ninnE nammithi behAg varNam by TRS
inta parAka s@kanna talli tanri, while the varNam wasn't a great start*, this one was very good.
divAkara tanujyam
rasikapriyA aruL seyya vEdnum s@pallavi
AbhOgi what an Alapanai it was, superb and equally good return by Raghul. nIkeppu dayavacchunO ns@samayamu jUchi delpudevvarO
nIvAda nEgAna - still not able to get whats so good about this song. sAranga itself is kind of "heh what about it?" for me
thOdi again a great AlApanai of evergreen thOdi. there is something about thOdi that is timeless. dAchukOvalEna, ns@saumitri thyAgarAju tani
Ahiri sketch followed by a tamil thuthi in m cApu on varadarAjA of kAnchi by vEdanta dEsikar including hamIrkalyAni? & surati too
yamunA outline bhAvayAmi gOpalabAlam
panniru karathAi pORRi (virutham?) followed by nALai varum enRu nambalAmA hindOLam? chandrakauns
mangaLam

My thought - he is very good in AlApanai and krithis but the nerevals kind of appear meandering and not well paced/spaced. Very good voice and was at ease belting out AbhOgi and thOdi Alapanais. Percussion - mridangam playing was a little different, different kind of emphasis/patterns

* me thinks the issue is with the varNam itself

arasi

Re: Sunil Gargyan in Ragasudha Hall, 16/Sep/2017

Post by arasi »

sankark,
Yes, the pAsurams are from vEdanta dEsikar's aDaikkalap pathu--அடைக்கல‌ப் பத்து. Wonderful verses of surrender. Sanjay has been singing it for a while. He tuned it too, I am sure. Somewhere in his blog, there is a video of varadarAjap perumAL's bhavani, filmed so very agreeably to go with the mood of the lyrics. I don't know how to search for it, though :(

pvs

Post by pvs »

arasi wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 06:04 sankark,
Yes, the pAsurams are from vEdanta dEsikar's aDaikkalap pathu--அடைக்கல‌ப் பத்து. Wonderful verses of surrender. Sanjay has been singing it for a while. He tuned it too, I am sure. Somewhere in his blog, there is a video of varadarAjap perumAL's bhavani, filmed so very agreeably to go with the mood of the lyrics. I don't know how to search for it, though :(
Dear Arasi, here it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQlk3kslOf8
As you say, truly wonderful; especially the last verse in Surati is one of a kind:
Vedanta Desikar's priceless lines about his saranAgati (that he surrenders at Varadaraja's feet as an arrow speeds to and sinks into its target) is highlighted by the raga choice and leisurely delivery. Just oozes class all around (except for Sanjay mixing up one word!)

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

sankark wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 21:57
vanajAkshi ninnE nammithi behAg varNam by TRS
inta parAka s@kanna talli tanri, while the varNam wasn't a great start*, this one was very good.

* me thinks the issue is with the varNam itself
I also don't like the Vanajaksha Behag varnam