Sudha Ragunathan @BSS Bengaluru Thyagaraja Aradhane - Rec. from Feb 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Sudha Ragunathan @BSS Bengaluru Thyagaraja Aradhane - Rec. from Feb 2017

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0QJ1__GLUM

A good concert to listen to with a power team of accompanists.

1. Shobillu
2. Emani Pogadudura
3. Sogasuga
4. Vidajaalathura
5. Ethavunnara
6. Gandhamu

2 - Liked it! varuNapriya provided some gravitas
3. Nice svarams and a poised kriti rendition as well
5. Done well - Alapana: negotiating a voice that gives resistance produces sometimes unexpectedly good music.

Her layam strengths and robust renditions keeps her in good stead when voice is not in form! Charumathi, KVP, Giridhar and Raman provided great support.
Last edited by shankarank on 18 Sep 2017, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

melam72

Re: Sudha Ragunathan @BSS Bengaluru Thyagaraja Aradhane - Rec. from Feb 2017

Post by melam72 »

Emani Pogadudura is in Veeravasantham. Veeravasantham is SRGMPS-SNDPMGRS, Varunapriya janyam.

Sudha's most mediocre concert. Her voice was giving way, and she sounded perpetually out of breath. She needs vocal support..<redacted.. unnecessary personal characterization of an artists> Brace yourself for a sub-par Sudha this season

SrinathK

Re: Sudha Ragunathan @BSS Bengaluru Thyagaraja Aradhane - Rec. from Feb 2017

Post by SrinathK »

Definitely leagues better than your "review". It looks like you have a grudge for sure ... :twisted: :lol:

One thing that stood out was Charumathi Raghuraman's (right?) tone on the violin, it was super sweet, with no harshness anywhere. We were discussing just that on the violin-viola thread elsewhere.

Acoustically, the sound balance felt to me a tad loud on the percussion side and not enough for the vocals.

Smt. Sudha's voice definitely still has the range and tone as before - but there are some places where it doesn't co-operate and occasionally breaks in the lower part of the middle octave. I also think there is a noticeable sense of tension of some sort in her singing (it has always been there, a sense of rushing) -- it just feels like she's pushing it too hard and if one is aware of just how many decades she's been singing, I think a Federer-esque change of style might be less straining. But that's about it.

Apart from that, she has done an admirable job of preserving her voice and let me put it this way, people should remember that she isn't part of those group of singers in their 20s and 30s or even 40s (GNB didn't get to live even as long and it won't be long before SR's career exceeds MLV's in duration) - in fact she's a whole decade senior to this years SK, Ravikiran sir.

A good, but short concert. I don't prefer reviewing, but here I just had to set the boat right.