Abhishek Raghuram @ Detroit - Sep 17th 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
nadhasudha

Abhishek Raghuram @ Detroit - Sep 17th 2017

Post by nadhasudha »

Impressions of Abhishek Raghuram concert in Detroit
Abhishek Raghuram – Vocal
H N Bhaskar – Violin
Patri Satish Kumar - Mridangam

Music is like the ocean. Some of us just like to go to the beach side and take in the sight and sound of the waves and walk along its beaches. These are the rasikas.
Some others like to get their feet wet in the water and collect some shells and wonder at the crabs crawling on the sands of the beaches. These are the students of music.
Then there are the fishermen who go out to sea everyday and collect a big haul of fish – big and small and earn a living by selling it when they come back ashore. These are the practitioners of Carnatic music both amateurs and professionals.
Then there are deep sea explorers and deep sea divers like the Jacques Cousteau kind who go to the depths of the ocean and bring up for the world to see the treasures and gems hidden in the deep recesses of the ocean. These are the master craftsmen or the legends of Carnatic music.

Abhishek Raghuram is one such master craftsman who retrieved many gems for us yesterday from the depths of the ocean of Carnatic music!!

The Kalyani, Varali, Hindolam and the crown jewel the Dwijavanthi Raagam Taanam Pallavi. His voice in fine shape and mettle he drenched us in the ocean of music and took us along with him on this exploration. His voice is like a little genie awaiting his command and ready to execute whatever his mind conceives. The raga alapanas, swarams, neravals, nadai variations, melody and bhavam – what did not sweep us off our feet!! Most importantly he gave everything for us in the right proportion. He had company in this exploration and his team of H N Bhaskar and Patri Satish Kumar pulled out several tricks from their bag. We were left awed and amazed at all that is possible and were glued to our seats for close to 4 hours. This was an experience that cannot be forgotten!!
If this team is performing in and around your area, please go listen to them. It will be an unforgettable and memorable concert experience!!

rajeshnat

Re: Abhishek Raghuram @ Detroit - Sep 17th 2017

Post by rajeshnat »

nadasudha
Dwijavanthi RTP with Bhaskar I have tasted once with another artist, it must have been joy to hear bhaskar also for his dwijavanthi essay bringing in his melodic MSG glides . I have already guessed few songs but i may be totally wrong . You are showing some writing prowess like your appa from Pondichery . Dont just walk in the beach, Please also give the song list with R N S pointers please

arasi

Post by arasi »

Must have been an outstanding concert to elicit such an inspired response. All a rich marine scene as analogy--seaside growing up and parentage, of course! Rajesh, you are hinting at PB.There too, there are two PBs from PC!

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

rajeshnat wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 18:02 nadasudha
Dwijavanthi RTP with Bhaskar I have tasted once with another artist, it must have been joy to hear bhaskar also for his dwijavanthi essay bringing in his melodic MSG glides . I have already guessed few songs but i may be totally wrong . You are showing some writing prowess like your appa from Pondichery . Dont just walk in the beach, Please also give the song list with R N S pointers please
Thanks Rajeshnat. Here is the songlist

1. Valachi Vacchi - Navaragamalika Varnam
2. Ninne Bhajana - nattai
3. Mundu Venuga - Darbar - Raga Sketch
4. Pankaja Lochana - Kalyani - A, N, S
5. Nattaikuriniji - Raga Sketch and song on Muruga - This is a song I have not heard before and i am unable to recall the words now.
6. Maa Ramanan - Hindolam - A, S
7. Kaa Vaa Vaa - Varali - A, N, S ,T
8. Dwijavanthi - RTP - with mini thani I did not make a note of the Words for the Pallavi but recollect it began with Sharadhe.
9. Sindhubhairavi - thillana by Lalgudi
10. Pavamana

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

arasi wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 19:04 Must have been an outstanding concert to elicit such an inspired response. All a rich marine scene as analogy--seaside growing up and parentage, of course! Rajesh, you are hinting at PB.There too, there are two PBs from PC!
Thanks Arasi ji!. Yes it was an outstanding concert.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

#5 is most likely, Kandan seyal andro by LGJ.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

nadhasudha wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 02:48 7. Kaa Vaa Vaa - Varali - A, N, S ,T
This krithi is usually a 1 kalai and typically sung as a filler before main. I think may be for the first time mahavidwan TNS sang this as 2 kalai and converted as a main krithi. May be there was some vidwan/vidushi who did that before TNS that I may not be aware . I think Abhishek has taken a leaf out of TNS here . Double power to varAli is always welcome .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

nadhasudha wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 02:48 8. Dwijavanthi - RTP - with mini thani I did not make a note of the Words for the Pallavi but recollect it began with Sharadhe.
Nadasudha,
May I also know the neraval and swaras in other ragas . I am pretty sure it was not a single raga rtp . Was taanam totally given to bhaskar or did abhishek sing ?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Nadasudha: Nice review-a nice analogy relating to the Ocean.I may not be as effusive and. erudite as ARASI(hats off to her vast trolling powers of this site and her timely acknowledgement of the contributors to the site). If you can get accolades from Arasi and Rajesh then you have made "it".

As for Abhshek's performance itself, what I like about him is that not only does he deliver his best and over. time when you feel you have heard and traversed all contours of a raga he "unleashes" a new vignette that substantiates your apt description of CM as an Ocean!!

Rajesh is great "prodder" and a sensitive one at that too in extracting more from every piece that is posted!!!

Kudos to all of you!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

MKR,
Good to see you 'surf'acing :) 'Troll'er or scholar I'm not. You know much more about CM than I do, certainly. Chime in more. Our generation is depleting in numbers, both on the forum and otherwise :(
It's great to see the younger generation taking CM to their heart. They can discuss it at a level which is quite amazing and beyond me. Still, like the jamakkALam guy--in the old world who was the last to leave a hall so that he could roll the spread up and take it home--I'm picking up a few things from these bright as anything rasikAs. Yes, however busy life gets, I do look in every day! The unsung hero, our unassuming admin srkris and his crew have to be thanked once in a while, just in order to remind ourselves what privilege it is to be part of this active (though at times volatile) place which keeps us all happy...:)

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

mahavishnu wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 03:57 #5 is most likely, Kandan seyal andro by LGJ.
You are right - it was Kandan Seyal andro. Thanks!

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

rajeshnat wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 10:51
nadhasudha wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 02:48 8. Dwijavanthi - RTP - with mini thani I did not make a note of the Words for the Pallavi but recollect it began with Sharadhe.
Nadasudha,
May I also know the neraval and swaras in other ragas . I am pretty sure it was not a single raga rtp . Was taanam totally given to bhaskar or did abhishek sing ?
Rajesh - Sorry It is all a blur right now. The Dwijavanthi was so captivating that I perhaps overlooked the others. I really appreciate your style of reviews where every item is detailed including the time it takes. In my earlier days I used to do that. With this concert, I glossed over the details and instead immersed myself in the experience.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 20:05 Nadasudha: Nice review-a nice analogy relating to the Ocean.I may not be as effusive and. erudite as ARASI(hats off to her vast trolling powers of this site and her timely acknowledgement of the contributors to the site). If you can get accolades from Arasi and Rajesh then you have made "it".

As for Abhshek's performance itself, what I like about him is that not only does he deliver his best and over. time when you feel you have heard and traversed all contours of a raga he "unleashes" a new vignette that substantiates your apt description of CM as an Ocean!!

Rajesh is great "prodder" and a sensitive one at that too in extracting more from every piece that is posted!!!

Kudos to all of you!!
MKR ji - Thanks for your kind words. Glad to have finally made "it" on rasikas. My post was inspired by the quality of the concert this turned out to be. Truly superlative.

Your observations on Abhishek's performance are spot on!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

"With this concert, I glossed over the details and instead immersed myself in the experience."
That is the best review of the concert.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, "Immersed myself in the experience" said it all. Thanks, Nadasudha :)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Arasi: Thanks for your kind words.Not a day passes without. ME noticing how much the younger generation of performers and rasikas(especially the Forumites) have ADVANCED in their critical discernment of our music. defying the incessant scream of old-timers lamenting about the deterioration in our music. Looking back on my own listening experiences in my early years in Bombay, I used to seat next to an elderly gentleman during concerts and whether it was ARIyakudi or Semmangudi or GNB, I used to be bombarded in my earlier listening years by this gentleman as to HOW great the erstwhile musicians--thelikes of Konerirajapuram. or violinists like Tirukkodikaval Krishna Iyer were and how low the listeners tastes have sunk tc etc.
Not having heard any tapes of these Masters I was inclined to believe that there may be some truth in what he was saying.

Then I finally STOPPED !!--sitting next to him!!!!l.

My advice to the younger forumites--who post comments/reviews--is to keep doing MORE of the same !!!Do not let old foggies. like MYSELF wax eloquent about the halcyon days of the fifties and the sixties.!!

ARASI Yes my posts have been infrequent due to various preoccupations!! But whenever I do visit the site I feel energized!!!

Keep those reviews/comments flowing!!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

@MKR, Don't you think that's a trend? Every generation is complaining about the next one -- some even think the current generation is much younger than they actually are even after all these years. Maybe once someone complained when neraval was being done for Thyagaraja and Dikshitar krithis also (this must be true -- once upon a time neraval belonged to the RTP and krithi singing was a separate art form almost). Perhaps someone even complained about gamakas!

Simply the fact that a group of artistes are more senior to you and a lot has been written about them inspires respect, whereas the mere fact that an artiste is a generation or 2 younger seems to inspire either encouragement or contempt depending on how sweet or sour one's mind has become over time.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A lively thread. Yes, I just started listening to Ramakrishnan Murthy and what struck me before I opened this was the young team on stage and the high quality music that was on air.

Ramasubramanian M.K

SrinathK: Earlyon in my listening years, I used to interject myself into conversations which my father used to have with SSI,GNB,ARI,MUSIRI et al and I would be mercilessly cut down as an interloper if I raise a doubt or question by the likes of SSI. GNB was an EXCEPTION. His advice to me:

1. When you listen to an artist pay attention to WHAT the artist is doing and if. you understand WHAT he is singing just enjoy it. Do not think of how another musician used to render the same song and illustrated this remark with this comment:(loosely translated from his Tamil)IF I SING SARASASAMADHANA DO NOT START THINKING HOW MMI OR SSI WOULD SING THE SAME SONG AND WHAT NUANCES THEY MAY BE USING"(AT THAT TIME ALTHOUGH RARE,THIS SONG WAS BEING SUNG SIMLULTANEOUSLY BY ALL THREE OF THEM!!).

2.What was the Musical IDEA the musician is attempting in the raga or krithi,how WELL the EXECUTION was and WHAT was the effect?
I have found it useful over the years. Example-if a musician with a good voice and reach in the upper octaves,I would strain to see how effective is his reach in the lower octaves(MSS is a great example--take the Sreeman Narayana --notice how the lower octave SA is pitch perfect and clear compared to others singing the song). Likewise GNB in attempting a flourish in Kambodhi)i Raga Alapana. would execute a brisk "Ma Da Sa Da Ni Pa(a la Saraswathi manohari ).--an Off-beat straying from conventional Kambodhi. Ofcourse I must hasten to add this is purely subjective and personal.

3. I adopt the same standard in listening to TMK or Abhishek. I restrain myself from getting "caught up" in TMK's alleged "out-of-sequence" patterns in concerts but pay attention \ to WHAT he delivers. I ENJOY EVERY BIT OF IT--take the O Rangasayee he has sung in a Cochin Festival(it is on the YOU TUbe). Also a Muribhamu(Mukhari--Alathur,Brindamma used to sing this song) he sang in the Sivasailam award concert a couple of years back. It was total immersion(whether it was inspired by Bhakthi or passion-is immaterial) that I liked . Likewise ABHISHEK when he takes up a Kamas goes into ecstasy and in some circles may be overdoing it. But I get glimpses of nooks and crannies of that raga that he touches and I enjoy them.

These gems of advice--although they appeared to be cliched at that time-- upon reflection over the years. has served me well and I am able to appreciate Ramakrishnan Murthy or Sandeep Narayanan or K.Gayathri--today as much as I enjoyed the old stalwarts.

TRIVIA: As I was cleaning my closets --60 years old "junk" I came across an article I wrote for SHANMUKHA Magazine. IN 1974--- the brief theme was to debunk the lament in those days as to how CM has deteriorated after the ARI_SSI_MMI_GNB era. I will try to see I that "dog-eared" article could be resuscitated and post in the site. entitled"RISE AND FALL OF STANDARDS IN CARANATIC MUSIC.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

rajeshnat wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 10:51
Nadasudha,
The Dwijavanthi Pallavi line was "shAradE karuNAnidhE sakalAnavAmba sadA janAn" set to misra chapu tala. Alapana by Abhishek, Tanam by Bhaskar. Ragamalika swaras in Huseni, Yamunakalyani and Behag.

He sang the swara song set in Sindu bhairavi with multiple tonal shifts (Lalgudi composition) that he sang at the Jaya TV program a few years ago https://youtu.be/MR3d8vNEr1s?t=38m56s

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 18:34 Then I finally STOPPED !!--sitting next to him!!!!l.
My advice to the younger forumites--who post comments/reviews--is to keep doing MORE of the same !!!Do not let old foggies. like MYSELF wax eloquent about the halcyon days of the fifties and the sixties.!!
I had two old foggies - one older, a Sishya of kiTTamani Iyer and another just a true connoisseur influencing me on Semmangudi's music. The older one simply didn't think much of SSI - he said it's just all rakaLai and produces volume with help of Sishyas. The second the connoisseur one was exerting positive influence. He is not like old was gold, but then he was in the "cacm" camp - he cannot relate to any music after 70s.

For me SSI exposure was very sketchy - a tODi or something in an AIR relay in my teens - and when my teacher talked about voice etc., I pointed out how I was instantly thrilled by SSI's music - not the fire and fury , but just the sheer gait. She agreed and I remember her saying that is mama's bhavam that attracted me.

But then these two oldies came much later in my life as a rasika.. and I did not pay attention either way and was not much into SSI's music, awed by my era of musicians like TNS!

It was much later - almost a decade - when these two older friends no longer near me - listening on my own to Sangeethapriya uploads repeatedly that my judgement turned.

I now know for sure - absolutely sure - that SSI's music is way superior to that of even TNS - my favorite of my initial years of rasikatvam! Well I am not comparing two musicians here. It is just something to that era of music!

There were lot of younger company that already were sure - they went to TNS's concert in Chicago and wrote about it here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... rf7rVzCRUg

Unfortunately that recordings are available now. I am still awed by TNS's music - well that is my preferred music. But when I turn on the Airport concert (of SSI), I just go into a crying spell just listening to the gait and his expression of vallaba nayakasya! This music just attacks me and I cannot reject it!

I even see that difference (of musical eras) with some 78 RPM - some unknown musician like Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan singing Anname - tiger's vaRNam!