Evolution of the HM/CM 'jugalbandhi'!

Classical Music of North India
kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Sarma
Now Why dont you sing Bhayyan Na Dharo for us , here !
Kulkarni Sir,
Just tried my hand.... I know,iam many hundred miles behind Lataji.please Bear with me again.

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/hlme

Sarma.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear Sri Sarma, this is superb. Too good.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Sabhaash, Sarma-ji! Loved some of the sangatis you included in your version.
Now you can expect more requests from rasikas on this forum, so be prepared!

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear Sri Sarma, I just couldn't stop listening to your rendition and your voice is totally captivating. I never heard this song before and did a search and listened to Lataji's version online but I liked your version better.

Here is my attempt based on your version. I know it is nowhere near but I am posting it anyway.

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/sh0m

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Sriram, your rendition is also excellent!
By the way, this must be a 'misra' variety of Charukesi, because somehow it doesn't sound exactly like 'our' Charukesi. Am I right??

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Great singing Sarma and Sriram. Your enthusiasm is so infectious that I may try a hand too;) BTW I dont think this is cArukESi at all. It sounds like some miSra rAga with touches of malhAr. ( as there seems to appear a lot of "MRP,".) Of course I could be way off the mark here. Sounds dES-like in the uttarAnga. There are a lot of foreign swaras.

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Sarva Sri Jayaram/Sriram/DRS,
Thanks for your nice words :-).Sriram, very nice rendition!!
Yeah,it's not our charukesi.It has a Kakali Nishadam and also Prati madhyamam at many places.May be,Madan Mohan had
tried some misra version of Charukesi.The Charukesi of Sri Ajoy Chakraborthy was alos having many notes,different from
our Charukesi.May be some Hindustani experts can chip in enlighten us on this.

Sarma.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Interesting viewpoint:
http://www.chennaionline.com/music/carn ... /305th.asp

The last sentence in the article says:
Is it any wonder then that I detest jugalbandhis?
ahem, ahem ;)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sarma, sriram: Very nice and excellent renditions. Both were very enjoyable.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sarma,
That was excellent!
Thank you.
Sriram,
Superb job, considering you'd not heard of the song until now!

Sarma,
Can I request you to sing 'madhuban mein rAdhikA nAchE rE' next?
THANKS...
Ravi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Sarma Sriram

BRAVO BRAVO.. Keep it up.
Talk of less recognized artists.I am shedding a few tears for Madan Mohan now.
Thank You !!

meena

Post by meena »

wow !

delight to hear u both. Very nicely rendered. thanku guys :)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

For those of you whose charukesi is in disarray-thanks to this song-
Here is something to help restore it again-Prof SRJ-1983 Isai Vizha
:D

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/gwge

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Sarma,
Can I request you to sing 'madhuban mein rAdhikA nAchE rE' next?
THANKS...
Ravi
Please start a thread so that we can cover all the known songs (with an association to a raga)-
Listening to these versions without any accompaniment and only the drone , is such a wholesome experience.
Your enthusiasm is so infectious that I may try a hand too;)
DRS ..Looking forward to it ....

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

coolkarni wrote:Sarma Sriram

BRAVO BRAVO.. Keep it up.
Talk of less recognized artists.I am shedding a few tears for Madan Mohan now.
Thank You !!
Sarma, Sriram, Excellent!

I too see some tinge of malhAr and kalyAN off and on!
And some sArang too.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 04 Dec 2006, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

coolkarni wrote:For those of you whose charukesi is in disarray-thanks to this song-
Here is something to help restore it again-Prof SRJ-1983 Isai Vizha
:D
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/gwge
Nice. I guess 'vasantha mullai poley vandhu' is modeled after this song. That is one song that was attractive to me at a very young age. Sarma, sriram, can you try that song and post it in the new thread that ravi had created... at your leisure if at all possible.

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Kulkarni Sir/Shankar/Meena/VK Sir/Ramakriya,
Thanks much for your encouraging words!
Shankar,i'll try surely.but Rafi's style is inimitable.I'll end up posting my version :-)
VK Sir,i'll also try the song you have mentioned.

Thanks again!
Sarma.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

kalgada78 wrote:Sarva Sri Jayaram/Sriram/DRS,

Yeah,it's not our charukesi.It has a Kakali Nishadam and also Prati madhyamam at many places.May be,Madan Mohan had
tried some misra version of Charukesi.The Charukesi of Sri Ajoy Chakraborthy was alos having many notes,different from
our Charukesi.May be some Hindustani experts can chip in enlighten us on this.

Sarma.
It seems to be a misra version of naT Bhairav (parallel to sarasAngi) rather than of charukeshi. There is a the strong tIvra nishAda. (That also explains the yaman chAye with little bit of prati madhyama coming in later on.) Of course, there is lot of 'misra'ization (if I may use that term :D ) as generally happens in film songs!

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 05 Dec 2006, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kulkarni sa'ab,
Were you able to attend this one?
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/12/08/stor ... 701000.htm

On another note: why is that this concert drew 100 rasikas while maNakkAl drew 25? What is the message being given here?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

unfortunately no.
Though I have been trying to find the common ground between chayanat and janaranjini after reading this review- cannot find it though with my recordings !!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

On another note: why is that this concert drew 100 rasikas while maNakkAl drew 25? What is the message being given here?
I was going to come up with an analogy to explain this, but decided against it - don't want to offend j-b lovers here!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

http://www.karnatik.com/kartoons/kartoon001.jpg

A humorous look at jugalbandhis!

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

On evolution of the HM/CM 'jugalbandhi'

During DR.Keskar/first Cabinet Minister for Information & Broad casting, DR.Keskar wanted 'Bharatiya Sangeet' to be established by merging both the systems of Indian Classical Music-HM and CM. At the AIR producers conference, his desire and views were discussed threadbare by stalwart musicians cum producers of AIR- Pt.Ravishankar-Pt.Pannalal Ghosh-P.Vyas - GNB-SSRao-Voleti etc.
Producers conference unanimously recommended to the ministry that this idea is not practical and not necessary also, as both the systems of music has evolved,initially on common grounds and branched out, grown, distinct and independent of each other, both serving the cause of Bharatiya Sangeeth.
The conference also recommended that AIR should work and pave the way for appreciation and enjoyment of both the systems Bharatiya Sangeeth, by the rasikas.
AIR started broadcast of National Program of Music with jugalbandhis. Jugalbandhi was of the format , wherein a similar,common and popular raga of both HM and CM are chosen and Ustads/Pandits of HM will perform first and followed by Vidwans/Vidushis will perform second, separately. After few programs, the program was taken off the AIR. The reason was that musicians were not showing adequate interest in participating/performing. When raga Jaijaiwanti and Dwijavanthi was chosen, no CM Maestros were willing to perform. As Chief Producer, GNB mama requested SSRao, Producer to take up the challenge and perform ! SSRao chose and sang Mudduswami Dikshita composition 'Cheta Sri Balakrishnam Bhaja re' and was well received and well appreciated by GNB.
If we stick to the original idea on jugalbandi, offer HM and CM music, as per the tradition,uncompromisingly and present educative concerts, , enlivening the rasikas of both HM and CM, the cause of Indian Music will be well served. I need to mention that the enthusiasm and support given by the Vidwans/Vidushis and rasikas of CM to HM is not at all matched by HM Ustads/Pandits and rasikas of HM. Lec-demo on the raga and the composition being taken up and the jugalbandi concert will definitely enlighten the listeners, will lead to appreciation, enjoyment and support of the rasikas.

munirao2001

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

parth

Post by parth »

hi...um i cannot seem to open the link for chandramaa lalat par...i'm really intrigued to listen to it...is there an alternative?