Throes of pain on the other side of the moon

Classical Music of North India
Rsachi

Throes of pain on the other side of the moon

Post by Rsachi »

Pandit Satish Vyas, of Gunidas Sangeet Sammelan, agrees. "Those who have money move toward sponsoring Bollywood events, as such events draw the crowds. But classical music traditionally catered to a niche crowd. It was never quite a mass thing. There was a time when corporate houses used to consider such kind of sponsorships a part of their corporate social responsibility. But the MBA guys who run corporate houses today first think about what they'll get in return for sponsoring an event. This has diluted things. They take complimentary passes and give those to people who are not even interested in classical music. The front rows, thus, remain vacant these days, while the real music lovers wait outside for a pass to enter the venue."
TOI article
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolkata/ ... 317868.cms

cacm

Re: Throes of pain on the other side of the moon

Post by cacm »

DEAR R,
I WISH YOU WOULD START A SECTION ON NOT JUST MUSIC BUT other areas like SCIENCE where the same phenomenon is prevalent. WHY IS THIS THE NORM NOW A DAYS? AS AN EX-PAT TYPE I hesitate to say anything but quite concerned & interested. VKV

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sir,
woe be to the cameramen who "pan" their cameras over the empty rows and bored few wrapped in heavy clothes of indifference seated here and there during performances being "live-cast" over TV like DD Bharati. I am glad you have mustered enough momentum for the Cleveland Aradhana to ensure full houses and more so full VIP front rows apart from the large numbers of webcast watchers.

I know one avid promoter of music whose ONLY mantra is "crowd pullers". He doesn't care for rising stars or pure classicists. He stays clear of obsolete items like veena and flute. He wants cinematically impactful crowd-pullers to fill the hall in his annual programmes.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear R,
The Cleveland trick is quite straightforward.ANY ONE CAN OCCUPY ANY SEAT UNLESS AN ARTIST ARRIVES & THERE ARE NO SEATS IN FRONT TWO ROWS & HE CAN CHOOSE TO BE SEATED THERE. Appears to work & the artiste on stage is happy too not performing to empty seats we feel is an INSULT to the art & ARTIST. VKV