Madhmad Sarang

Classical Music of North India
avichinnu

Post by avichinnu »

Raag Madhmad Sarang - An early afternoon raag, Madhmad Sarang is as sweet and playful as all the other members of the Sarang clan. As compared to Brindabani Sarang which uses the shuddha nishadh in the ascent and the komal nishadh in descent, Madhmad uses only the komal nishadh. The hallmark of any Sarang is the rock steady and unattached shuddha rishabh (no kan permitted), which is the vaadi. The komal nishadh in Madhmad gives that extra shade of pathos.
Note that Raag Megh has exactly the same notes as Sarang, but differs vastly in its swar lagav. In Megh, Re has no independent existence. Also nishadh has that characteristic Malhar application.
[COPIED INFO]
This is my favourite raga....

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

is madhyamavati the exact equivalent of madhmad sarang? neiveli SG said in one of his anecdotes in JAYATV , that many rasikas mistakenly think that kriti 'VINAYAKUNI IS IN PRAISE OF LORD GANAPATHY,while it is in praise of AMBAL., GOBILALITHA

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

No, in my opinion the Carnatic madhyamavati (while having the same swaras as madhmad sarang) has no exact equivalent in Hindustani.

Hindustani Madhmad Sarang can be considered equivalent to the Carnatic Vrndavani/Vrndavana Saranga of Dikshitar (compositions such as rangapuravihara, swaminathena, and saundararajam). Only kaishiki nishada is used. Saundararajam shows definite shades of Megh.

Hindustani Vrndavani Sarang has also become popular in Carnatic under the same name. Both kaishiki and kakali nishada are used.

Madhyamavati is best classified as a kanada-ish raga.

SR
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 04 Dec 2007, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Kanti Dattani

Post by Kanti Dattani »

I have the following Madhmad Sarang

Hariprasad Chaurasia 31 minutes SICCD038
Jasraj 15 Music India A92077
Kishori Amonkar (cd awaited)
Kumar Gandharva 20 MILS003
Prabhakar Karekar 30 SWM012 (best vocal recording)
Pramod Kumar 15 ARN64172
Veena Sahasrabuddhe 33 NR045

Email kantidattani@aol.com for details. I am not in music business and don't sell cds.

KD