Ustad Abdul Karim Khan Saheb's Barsi( Punyathithi) Miraj 200

Classical Music of North India
sureshramaswamy

Post by sureshramaswamy »

Hello

Anybody attending the barsi at Miraj this year? It is going to be from 20th . I guess it will be for 3 days. Since it is the 75th year anniversary, i beleive it is being planned in a grand scale with a lot of prominent musicians coming in.

I had the opportunity to attend it 5 years back and it was wonderful. Hope to attend it next year!!

It will be great if anybody who attends the festival posts a summary of the happenings and the concerts

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

there seems to be no announcement of the miraj dargah mahotsav on their website; the urs is, however, being celebrated on the 17th of july http://dargahmiraj.com/news.htm is the Ustad Abdul Karim Khan Memorial Concert by any chance on aug 20th? please do confirm.. i will be in pune then and would love to go to attend the concerts in miraj, if possible.. thanks
Last edited by knandago2001 on 09 Jul 2009, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

sureshramaswamy

Post by sureshramaswamy »

Wow!! did not know that they had a website!!!

Yes the barsi usually conicides with the URS and the second day is dedicated to Khan Sahib in terms of paying homage to the tomb. The chaddhar is taken in from the Gawai Bunglow( Khan Saheb's house) in a procession to the Dargah.

It is not in August. It is in the second week from now- July 20th ( if im not wrong). My guru Nishikant Barodekar( Grandson of Smt. Hirabai Barodekar and the Great Grand Son of Ust. Abdul Karim Khan Saheb) will be playing tabla solo and also with various artists such as Pt. Ulhas Bapat, Ustd. Ghulam mustafa Khan and others there. So the program is confirmed.