Audio cd of Gayathri Girish

Place to review recorded music that you have heard.
gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Recently,an audio cd titled Raga Manjari sung by Gayathri Girish has been released by Sanskriti, containing a delicious garland of popular ragamalikas

The songs are as follows

1) Aaarabi manam
2) Chandrachuda
3) Sanadam(swati tirunal)
4) Arupadaiveedu
5) Sri VIiswanatham (Chathurdasa ragamalika of Dikshitar, best of the lot )
6) Ganamazhai, the perennial favorite
7) Needan thunai(N SChidambaram8)vattu naduve (periyazhwar pasuram)..

The songs have been deliciously rendered in her pleasant voice.

It will be a boon to persons who want to learn and practice these songs..

SRK IN THE HINDU''Gayathri Girishi imparted both delicacyi n the articulation of the sahitya and depth in bringing out the structure of the kirtanas

(Moderator Note: changed the format for better readability )

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Some of her songs are in hummaa too.- a husky voice with emotion provoking rendition.

arasi

Post by arasi »

RAman,
Sorry I don't understand. What is hummaa?

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

humma is an excellent website for all kinds of music. . Arasi, pl mention any old song ,especially hindi and tamil,Iwill ask humma to play it for you . the website is from namma bengalooru gobilalitha

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

VK RAMAN wrote:http://www.hummaa.com/music/artist/1693 ... hri+Girish - here is the website site.
I do no know if I should laugh or cry when I listen to her rendition of 'nagumomu' with pop music background. The 'bhavam' of this song is completely lost. Don't mistake me. I have a couple of her CD's and I really like her singing.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

:) I think Suseela Raman and then the film Morning Raga paved the way for such things. When I was in Chennai last, I heard one such CD by Kadri Gopinath, playing chakkani raja to such accompaniments. Oh well.. if there are enough fans for such things and the CDs sell, we will chalk it up as another genre. Carnatic layered pop or pop layered carnatic. Nithyashree's Jeans song in Abheri/KDG/Bhimplas ('kannODu kAnbadellAm' ) seems to be much more bhava laden rendition than this one.

I know a few people who complain that they can not understand the rhythm in carnatic music whereas with film songs it is easier. I guess they have solved that problem here with that heavy steady drum beat.

We can look beyond that, but the credits seem to show the Composer to be Vaidyanathan and Lyrisist as Traditional. That tag Traditional is usually assigned for slokas and other ancient things for which specific author is not known and not for this song. Hope the physical CD sleeve gives proper credits