Compositions of Veena Sheshanna

Place to review recorded music that you have heard.
keerthi

Post by keerthi »

A series of 8 CDs titled Veeneya Bedagu - Compositions of Veena Sheshanna, have been brought out by Mr. R.Rangarajan from Bangalore.The CDs encompass the bulk of Sheshanna's compositions including his Swarajathis, Varnas, Keerthanas and tillanas.

This production is guided by Mysore V.Subramanya, Grandson of Sheshanna, and music critic for Deccan Herald.

D.Balakrishna,(Doreswamy ayyangar's son) and Rajalakshmi Tirunarayana have cut a CD each, where they play the songs on the Veena. M.S.Sheela, R.K.Padmanabha, Mambalam sisters, Sukanya PrabhAkar and the Rudrapatnam brothers each have cut a CD, all vocal.

The crest jewel is a CD by the veteran, R.K.Srikantan.

Sheshanna, popular in Tamizh-land only through his JanjUti tillana, has several compositions to his credit. He has varnas in uncommon tAlas like SAnkeerNa matya and Khanda Dhruva. He has swarajathis in vivadi melas like Manavati, Vanaspati and in rakthi ragas like Neelambari and KarnAta kApi.

Krtis in rsHabhapriya, dhenuka and Gamanasrama besides these swarajatis go to endorse the fact that J.C.Wodeyar, infuriated by the suggestion that most of the 72 melas were futile and mere scales; commissioned his court vidwans to enrich the Melas with more compositions.[vide mysore Vasudevachar's memoirs]

Two more CDs are in the offing and those should complete all 56 of Sheshanna's compositions

The CDs are produced and marketed by : Vara Enterprises,
# 474, 13th Cross, 9th main,
Vyalikaval Bangalore - 03

phone no - 080-23443624 / 9844478762

mail id - varaenterprises@gmail.com

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thanks a lot Keerthi. So informative.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

keerthi- Nice to know at last some justice is done to Mysore Veene Sheshanna.
Thanks for this info. Incidentally, in the kannada book " Naa Kanda Kalavidaru" by Mysore Vasudevacharaya, I think, there is some interesting story of Veene Sheshanna's life.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Keerthi,
Thanks for starting this thread! I have been meaning to initiate this for quite some time!

I have listened to two albums (Rajalakshmi Tirunarayan's and Mambalam Sisters) and have enjoyed both of them very much.

I hope to get the other CDs in Bangalore when I am there in June.

We (kannaDigas) have not done a good job of popularizing compositions of Karnataka composers. There are so many composers and excellent compositions that are completely forgotten. When was the last time we heard a composition of Mysore Karigiri Rao or Chikkarama Rao in a concert?

Just a small correction! Mysore V Subramanya is Veena Sheshanna's great-grandson (Swaramurthi V N Rao, Subramanya's Father was Sheshanna's grandson).

This series of CDs is a step in the right direction. It is a commendable project and I congratulate Sri. Subramanya and the team for a job well done!

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

I agree that the Kannadigas have done little to preserve the large repository of excellent music that has been created here.

And not just the birth-right Karnataka composers, we have neglected the naturalised Kannadigas like Harikesanallur Mutthaiah bhAgavatar, whose composition bank is remarkably rich, in musical content and often in Lyrical value as well.

Not to worry, all ye who bemoan the neglected plight of Kannada composers; a co-rasikas may soon assuage this wrong..!

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

P.S. NA kanda Kalavidaru, Vasudavacharya's musical memoirs has been translated into english by the composer's Grandson.. It is available with the Ananya GML cultural academy and is a must read for all rasikas who can't read kannada..

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

keerthi wrote:I agree that the Kannadigas have done little to preserve the large repository of excellent music that has been created here.

And not just the birth-right Karnataka composers, we have neglected the naturalised Kannadigas like Harikesanallur Mutthaiah bhAgavatar, whose composition bank is remarkably rich, in musical content and often in Lyrical value as well.

Not to worry, all ye who bemoan the neglected plight of Kannada composers; a co-rasikas may soon assuage this wrong..!
Keerthi,
Looking forward to more info. on your last line above!

Sreeni Rajarao

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I hope Kmrasika sir would not mind my copying the below link from his posting in another thread under Vaggeyakaras!

The below link is about volume 5 of the veeneya bedagu series

http://www.thehindu.com/mp/2009/02/23/s ... 230300.htm

Sreeni Rajarao

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: Compositions of Veena Sheshanna

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I am happy to write that I now have all 13 CDs that have been brought out in this series. I am enjoying listening to this collection.

CD #12 contains compositions of Swaramurthy V N Rao (Grandson of Veene Sheshanna) performed by Bangalore Shankar, M S Sheela (Vocal), and Rajalakshmin Thirunarayanan (Veena).

Recently, it was my pleasure to to meet with Sri Rangarajan who has produced the albums. I hope rasika-s across the world will contact Sri Rangarajan to purchase the CDs. email: varaenterprises at gmail dot com

kmrasika-sir, I hope you are doing well and that you are still visiting our forum!

musicmantra

Post by musicmantra »

Heard the cd. sounds great

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

is there any book about veene sheshanna,
to read about his playing / music / bani / compositions ?