Please let the admin know if you face any errors.

Smt. Vyjayantimala

Classical Dance forms & related music
rshankar

Smt. Vyjayantimala

Post by rshankar » 30 May 2011, 06:52

There are very few clips of Smt. Vyjayantimala's dances in tamizh movies on youtube. Clips of the dances from vanjikOTTai vAlibhan (the famous competition with Smt. Padmini, and the other, rAjA magal rOjA malar) have been around for ages. I came across a clip from a lesser known movie, Chitoor Rani Padmini that is think is absolutely mesmerizing. So I thought I'd share the link. I wonder if the rAjpUt queen was as beautiful as the actress who played her!

salangai83

Re: Smt. Vyjayantimala

Post by salangai83 » 30 Jun 2011, 06:31

ya... i m totally agree with u....she is a very graceful dancer with beautiful figure and wonderful abinaya....the dance combination between them.... omg no words to describe...padmini is a fire while vyjanthimala is a water.... deathly combination...these two great fabulous and graceful dancers will never be replaced by any one..... :clap:

rshankar

Post by rshankar » 07 Jan 2012, 00:42

Here is Smt. Vyajayantimala dancing to the singing of two doyennes from the world of CM, in the movie, vAzhkai:

Smt. MLV singing nandagOpAlanODu nAn ADuvEnE (Arasi's cowherd song)...There was a clip from bahAr, the hindi version of this song which has unfortunately been removed.

Smt. DKP singing vAzhga vAzhga bhAratasamudAyam vAzhgavE (somehow, I always expect the dancer to be Smt. Kamala)..

keerthi

Post by keerthi » 14 Jan 2012, 17:28

Here is a report of Smt. Vyjayantimala Bali's dance programme held at Bangalore recently.

It was most impressive to see perform a kirtanam, a biggish varnam [in two kalams no less],and a selection from a tarangam, with seeming effortlessness.

In the mangalam, once she smoothly glided into the anantashayana pose and rose with ease, in a manner that belies her age.

The perfection of her poses and hastas, the natural, unaffected abhinaya and gentle, nonetheless correct footwork made it all most memorable.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao » 16 Jan 2012, 03:07

Keerthi,

Thanks for the link to Deccan Herald review. It was good to see that a composition of Sheshanna was performed!

rshankar

Post by rshankar » 16 Jan 2012, 04:39

Keerthi, thank you for that link, but I was not amused by the reviewer calling Smt. Kashi a kathak dancer.