lyrics and meaning

Classical Dance forms & related music
natyasri

lyrics and meaning

Post by natyasri »

Can someone please help me with the lyrics and meaning of swayamvara vele - link below. thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVNt0P6AJ04

Lakshman

Re: lyrics and meaning

Post by Lakshman »

Clicking on this link shows a message saying the video is not available.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Lakshmanji, the url is working.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Not for me. The message says: The video is not available. Maybe it is only accessible by US residents.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lakshmanji do you have the lyrics for Smt. Rukmini Ramani's svayamvara vELai vandadu?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

This song is not in any of the printed books of her compositions. I am not familiar with some words. Corrections welcome.

svayamvara vELai (pv). rAgamAlikA. Adi tALA.

(rAgA: kApi)
P: svayamvara vELai vandadu mithilaiyenum mayan amainda nagaramadil magainaLal sItaikku
A: anga vanga kalingamudal anaittu nATTin mannarum angu vandu jAnakiyai kai piDikka kUDinAr
tanga magaL kaNai aDaiya shiva dhanushai puTTana angam nurangi kaN mangi angangivIDana
C: pattu talai rAvaNan vandAn puttam pudu uDaiyaNindu matta gajam pOlavE
1: tOL vali kATTinAn kAlgaLai kaTTinAn dUsigaL kiLambiDa OnkAramiTTAn
ALuvErcci tInru mEl nirai tUkkinAn ALagavaminrE adanaDiyar vENDiTTAn
(rAgA: kalyANavasantA)
2: kalyANarAman ezhundAn kArtiniyil kalyANa guNangaLin uruvAi amainda
shiva dhanushai eDuttAn cintai naDai vEittAn shivan padattai tudittAn
vil adanai vaLaittAn tavam seidu udittAn dasharatha rAmanum
tavaridai kaNakkinil adanaiyum murittAn
(rAgA: behAg?)
3: mAlai mATrinAl sItai mAlai mATrinAL mAl naDandu madil arangil mAlai avar tan mArbilE
pU mAlai sATrinAl sItai mAlai mATrinAL mAlai sATrinAl sItai mAlai mATrinAL
(rAgA: kurinji)
4: sItA kalyANa vaibhOgamE rAmA kalyANa vaibhOgamE vaibhOgamE

natyasri

Post by natyasri »

Lakshman sir, here is another link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu6dbEajgYk

I need meanings please

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks for the link natyasri.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I need some time to correct the lyrics and post the meaning. Please bear with me.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lakshmanji - I have made several corrections to the lyrics based on what I heard. I do not think that this is a padavarNam, the opening jati notwithstanding.

suyamvara vELai vandadu mithilaiyenum
ayyan amaitta nagaramadil mangainallAL sItaikku

The time (vELai) for the svayamvar (suyamvara) of the noble lady (mangainallAL), sItA (sItaikku) in the city (nagaramadil) created (amaitta) by the Lord (ayyan) called (enum) mithilA (mithilai) has come (vandadu).

anga vanga kalingamudal anaittu nATTin mannarum
angu vandu jAnakiyai kai piDikka kUDinAr
tanga magaL tanai aDaiya shiva dhanusai toTTanar
angam norungi kaN mangi angangE vIzhdanar

Starting with (mudal) Anga (1), Bengal (vanga), and Kalinga (2), kings (mannarum) from various (anaittu) kingdoms (nAttin), came (vandu) there (angu), and congregated (kUDinAr) to try and win/hold (piDikka) Janaki's hand (kai). To attain (aDaiya) the golden (tanga) maiden (magaL tanai), they touched (toTTanar) the mighty bow (dhanusai) of Siva, and fell (vIzhndanar) all over the place (angangE) with their limbs (angam) crushed (noRungi), and their vision (kaN) dimmed (mangi).

pattu talai rAvaNan vandAn
puttam pudu uDaiyaNindu matta gajam pOlavE
tOL vali kATTinAn tAlgaLai TaTTinAn
dUsigaL kiLambiDa OnkAramiTTAn
ALuvEn sItaiyai yenru villinai tUkkiDa
ALaravaminri adanaDiyil vIzhndiTTAn

The ten (pattu)-headed (talai) Ravana (rAvaNan) arrived (vandAn) like (pOlavE) a mad/proud (matta) elephant (gajam), wearing (aNindu) new (puttam pudu) garments/clothes (uDai). He showed off (kATTinAn) the strength (vali) of his shoulders (tOL), stamped (taTTinAn) his feet (tALgaLai), and roared (OmkAramiTTAn) powerfully to raise (kiLambiDa) a cloud of dust (dUsigaL). Having lifted (tUkkiDa) the bow (villinai) with the promise to win over/receive (ALuvEn yenRu) sItA (sItaiyai), he fell (vIzhndiTTAn) silently/without noise (ALaravam inRi) under (aDiyil) it (adan).

kalyANarAman ezhundAn kAsiniyl kalyANa guNangaLin OruruvAi amainda
shiva dhanusai eDuttAn cintai tanai vaittAn shivan padattai tudittAn vil adanai vaLaittAn
tavam seidu uditta dasharatha rAmanum
tavarinil kaNakkinil adanaiyum murittAn

rAma (kalyANarAman) (3), the one on earth (kAsiniyil) who was created (amainda) as the single (Or) embodiment (uruvAi) of all auspicious (kalyANa) characters/qualities (guNangaLin), stood up (ezhundAn). He picked up (eDuttAn) the bow (dhanusai) of Siva, concentrated (vaittAn) his thoughts (cintai tanai), offered prayers (tudittAn) at the feet (padattai) of Siva, and bent (vaLaittAn) the bow (vil adanai). And rAma (rAmanum), the son of Dasharatha (daSaratha), who came into existence (uditta) after the performance (seidu) of severe penance (tavam) [4], adding to the count (kaNakkinil) of his mistakes (tavarinil) [5], broke (murittAn) it (adanaiyum) [6].

mAlai mATRinAl sItai mAlai mATRinAL mAlaDaindu madil arangan mAlai avar tan mArbilE
pU mAlai sATRinAl sItai mAlai mATRinAL mAlai sATRinAl sItai mAlai mATRinAL

sItA (sItai) exchanged (mATRinAL) flower (pU) garlands (mAlai), sItA offered (sATRinAL) flower (pU) garlands (mAlai)! Finding (aDaindu) love (mAl), she (avar) took the garland (mAlai) of vishNu/ranganAtha (madil arangan), and placed it on her (tan) chest (mArbilE) [7].

sItA kalyANa vaibhOgamE rAmA kalyANa vaibhOgamE vaibhOgamE
This describes the grandeur/magnificence (vaibhOgamE) of rAmA and sItA's wedding (kalyANa).

FOOTNOTES
[1] The kingdom of anga extends over some districts of present day Bihar, Jharkhand, and Bengal - according to the mahAbhArat, it was Karna's kingdom
[2] Kalinga refers to present day Orissa
[3] the adjective kalyANa is used to describe rAma as the bridegroom in anticipation of the wedding
[4] penance refers to daSartha's penance
[5] This word 'tavarinil' is not clear at all, and I have translated as best as I can, but have to say that it seems very incongruous
[6] 'it' here obviously refers to the bow of Siva
[7] This whole verse is a modification of the original on ANDAL - so, here the substitution with sItA sounds melodious, but the meaning is rather forced, as sItA did not wear rAma/ranganAtha's garland prior to the svayamvara....

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks rshankar.