Tamil Javalis

Classical Dance forms & related music
Dhim

Tamil Javalis

Post by Dhim »

Hey,

I have only heard of one Tamil Javali before and want to know more as from my knowledge they are quite uncommon, and not performed often. If you know any can you please post the names, lyrics and meanings of them, and if you could link an audio or YouTube Link it would be great! Thank you so much!!! :D

umasankara

Re: Tamil Javalis

Post by umasankara »

I recently came across "Ponnammal Romba Pollathaval". It shows Nayaka bhava towards her Nayika and its quite whimsical. The song is from Kalki R Krishnamurthy's Solaimalai Ilavarasi. Here's the lyrics:

பொன்னம்மாள் ரொம்பப் பொல்லாதவள் - அவள் பொய் என்ற வார்த்தையே சொல்லாதவள்
சொன்னதைச் சொல்லும் கிளியினைப் போல் - என்றும் சொன்னதையே அவள் சொல்லிடுவாள்
மன்னர் குலம் தந்த கன்னியவள் - இந்த மாநிலத்தில் நிகர் இல்லாதவள்
அன்னம் அவள் நடை அழகு கண்டால் - அது அக்கணமே தலை கவிழ்ந்திடுமே
பாடும் குயில் அவள் குரல் கேட்டால் - அது பாட்டை மறந்து பறந்திடுமே
மாடும் மரங்களும் அவளுடைய - உயர் மாட்சிமைக்கு வலம் வந்திடுமே
கூந்தல் முடிப்பிலே சொகு கடையாள் - விழிக் கோணத்திலே குறுநகையுடையாள் - அவள்
மாந்தளிர் மேனியைக் கண்டவர்கள் - அந்த மாமரம் போலவே நின்றிடுவர்
கற்பக மலர்களோ அவள் கரங்கள் - அந்தக் கண்களில்தான் என்ன மந்திரமோ
அற்புதமோ ஒரு சொப்பனமோ - இங்கு ஆர் அறிவார் அவள் நீர்மை யெல்லாம்
பொன்னம்மாள் மிகப் பொல்லாதவள் - அவள் பொய்சொல்லக் கொஞ்சமும் அஞ்சாதவள்
அன்னம் படைக்கவே வந்திடுவாள் - எனில் அமுது படைத்து மகிழ்ந்திடுவாள்
ஆனதால் என் அருந் தோழர்களே - நீங்கள் அவளை மணந்திட வந்திடாதீர்...

According to how Kalki explains the situation, until nayika hears the last two lines of the song she wonders if the nayaka is praising her or criticizing her. In the book, the lines were given after the explanation like below:

ஆனதால் என் அருந் தோழர்களே - நீங்கள் அவளை மணந்திட வந்திடாதீர்...
ஏனென்று கேளுங்கள் இயம்பிடுவேன் - இங்கு யானே அவளை மணந்து கொண்டேன்!

umasankara

Post by umasankara »

Dhim

Post by Dhim »

Thank you so much Umasankara!

It's quite rare to see a Tamil javali and even rarer to find a javali from the Nayaka's perspective! What a find! Thank you so much for sharing it!!!

This might be a bit off track, but I must point out medha's performance in that video. It is just wonderful! Her araimandi is so beautiful! I must say she and Harinie Jeevitha have some of the best araimandi and energy that I have seen! What talented young dancers!

umasankara

Post by umasankara »

Agree, stellar performance especially when she emotes for the line "மாந்தளிர் மேனியைக் கண்டவர்கள்". Speaking of which, the singer, I believe is Shri K.Hariprasad also did an excellent job expressing the bhava in his voice.

Back to the Tamil Javalis, here is a video where Smt. Geetha Raja performed some of the rare ones. Unfortunately I don't know those songs except for the padam "ella arumaigalum". Video Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_D3KzwU1PU. The padam is discussed here by Lakshman sir and Ravi sir: viewtopic.php?t=23194

If anyone know other songs performed in the video, please post here.