Sollaley iyambidal

Classical Dance forms & related music
lsr

Sollaley iyambidal

Post by lsr »

I would appreciate the lyrics and meaning to the song Sollaley Iyambidal on the dancing Lord, Nataraja. Kindly also mention the ragam and the composer. If there is an audio link, kindly mention that too.
Thanks
LSR

rshankar

Re: Sollaley iyambidal

Post by rshankar »

If the lyrics are posted, I will certainly try my hand at translating the composition.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The song is part of vol 7 in the Nrithyopasana series.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I finally was able to transcribe the lyrics:

rAgam: vasantA tALam: Adi Composer: Madurai R. Muralidaran

pallavi
sollAlE iyambiDal iyalAdaiyyA
ADal vallOnE tillaiyil naTanamiDum azhagai (sollAlE…)

Oh lord (vallOnE) [1] of dance (ADal)! It is not possible (iyalAdu) to describe (iyambiDal) the beauty (azhagai) of your dance (naTanamiDum) in cidambaram (tillaiyil) using mere words (sollAlE), my lord (ayyA).

anupallavi
pallAyiram munivar paNiyum paraman ingu
illAda iDam Edu bhuvimIdilE dinamum
nillAdu naTanam ADidum azhaginai
pallAyiram mozhiyinil sonnAlum viLangAdu

Is there (Edu) a place (iDam) on (mIdil) this (ingu) earth (bhuvi) where the Supreme being (paraman) who is worshipped (paNiyum) by several thousands (pallAyiram) of sages/ascetics (munivar) is not there (illAda)? (It is not possible to describe) the beauty (azhaginai) of the ceaseless (dinamum nillAda) dance (naTanam ADiDum) (in cidambaram using mere words).

caraNam
villAga vaLainda iru puruvam asaindu bhangam
illAda navarasa bhAvamuDan ADa
melliDai asaindu asaindu umaiyavaLum ADa
nallisaiyuDan pala gaNangaLum ADa
piRaiyoDu konRai pUvADa bhuviyil
muRaiyilai muRaiyilai ena saDaiyADa
niRaivoDu nIrvaLam migu gangai ADa
muRaiyoDu munivarum dEvar isai pADa
puli ADa ADa, bhuvi ADa ADa
pugal vENDi vENDi aDiyArgaL ADa
aravADa ADa aNDacarAcaram Anandam koNDu
ADiDum azhaginai (sollAlE...)

(It is possible to describe with mere words) the beauty (azhaginai) of the entire universe (ANDa) and creation (carAcaram) [2] joyfully (Anandam koNDu) dancing along (ADa) with (Siva, as he dances) with his brows (iru puruvam) [3] bent (vaLainda) like a bow (villAga) expressing (bhAvamuDan) the nine emotions (nava rasa) perfectly (bhangam illAda) [4]; and pArvati also (umaiyavaLum) dances along with her slender waist (melliDai) swaying (asaindu asaindu); and several (pala) of the Siva gaNas (gaNangaLum) dance to the accompaniment (uDan) of good music (nallisai); and the crescent moon (piRaiyODu) along with the laburnum flowers (konRai pU) sways (ADa); his matted locks (saDai) move (ADa) as if to say that there is no order (muRaiyilai muRaiyilai ena) on this earth (bhuviyil); and the Ganges (gangai), filled to the brim (niRaivoDu) with water (nIr vaLam migu), dances (ADa); and the sages (munivarum) and gods (dEvar) sing (isai pADa) in an appropriate manner (muRaiyoDu); and vyAghrapAdar (puli) [5] dances (ADa), while the earth (bhuvi) quakes (ADa ADa); and devotees (aDiyArgaL) dance (ADa) as they seek (vENDi vENDi) refuge (pugal); and the snake (aravu) dances (ADa).

FOOTNOTES
[1] vallOn can also mean an expert - so ADal vallOn is someone who is an expert at dancing - an extremely appropriate way to describe Siva
[2] carAcara literally means creatures that move (cara) and those that are stationary (acara)
[3] iru puruvam - both eyebrows; iru = two
[4] bhangam illAda - literally means without (illAda) defect (bhangam)
[5] puli in this context could also refer to the tiger-skin garments that Siva wears

lsr

Post by lsr »

Thank you so much.