Post by Chitra Ramachandran »

How do I send you the audio clip?

Sachi_R

Re: Lyrics and Meaning for Ayyappan Song

Post by Sachi_R »

Ms Chitra
If you have a gmail account,
1. Log into your gmail account.
2. In the same browser app, open a new tab.
3. type drive.google.com
4. You will get a cloud storage space in google.
5. You can upload the file there.
6. Click share and get a link.
7. Paste the link here.
Here is a tutorial explaining these steps:
https://youtu.be/Itn3WIhQ6NQ

What if you don't happen to have a gmail account?
You can use ANY email account to create a google account. For that, just go to this page:
https://accounts.google.com/SignUpWitho ... &LastName=

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Chitra - here you go:

(rAgA: kAmbhOji)
avaniyil hariharanum onRenum sattiyam nilai nATTavE
pugazh pandaLattin pANDya vEndanin maindanena nI tOnRinai
maNikaNThan enum peyar koNDadanai

To firmly (nilai) establish (nATTavE) in this world (avaniyil) the truth (sattiyam) that Siva (haranum) and vishNu (hari) are one and the same (onRenum), you (nI) appeared/were born (tOnRinai) as the son (maindanena) of the famous (pugazh) king (vEndanin) of the pAnDya dynasty who ruled in the region called pandaLam (pandaLattin), and took/bore (koNDanai) the name (peyar) maNikaNThan (maNikaNThan enum).

(rAgA: sAvEri)
kaDumai talaivali vandadena pErarasi sUTSiyAi pagaravE puli pAlai parugum enRu pulippaDai koND-avaL mun ninRanai
pizhaiyai uNarndE tAL paNindiDum uvandavarkkaruL seidanai manam kanindavarkkaruL seidanai

When the queen (pErarasi) deceitfully (sUTshiyAi) declared (pagaravE) that she had (vandadena) a severe (kaDumai) headache (talaivali), you stood (ninRanai) before (mun) her (avaL) with (koNDu) a large group (paDai) of tigers (puli), and asked her to consume/drink (parugum enRu) the tigress' (puli) milk (pAlai) (to treat her headache).
You showered (seidanai) your blessings (aruL) on appropriate devotees (uvandavarkku) who have realized (uNarndE) their mistakes (pizhaiyai) and bow/worship (paNindiDum) at your feet (tAL), and whose hearts/minds (manam) have become tender (kanindavarkku) with love.

(rAgA: mOhana)
harihara sutan oruvanE tanai azhikkum vallavan enRanaL varam koNDa mahiSi eNDisaigaLai giDugiDukka seidanaL
anda arakki ANavam aDakki avaLai kOri
aNDam kAttanai buvi nimmadiyai nilai nATTinai

(She) said/declared (enRanaL) that the son (sutan) of Siva (hara) and vishNu (hari) alone (oruvanE) was strong/capable (vallavan) enough to defeat/destroy (azhikkum) her (tanai); armed (koNDa) with this boon (varam), the demoness mahishi created (sidanaL) fear and havoc (giDugiDukka) in all directions (endisaigaLai). By subduing (aDakki) that (anda) demoness' (arakki) pride and arrogance (ANavam), and killing (kOri) [1] her (avaLai), you protected (kAttanai) the world (aNDam), and firmly (nilai) re-established (nATTinai) peace (nimmadiyai) on earth (bhuvi).

(rAgA: suraTi)
maNDalam viratam irundE irumuDiyai talaisumandE
(sharaNam ayyappA enRu) nADi unnai tEDum aDiyArkkaruLa sabariyil tOnRinai
shuDar vaDivanE maNIkaNThanE
kaliyugam kaNDa deivamE inda kaliyugam kaNDa deivamE
sharaNam sharaNam svAmiyE ayyappA sharaNam svAmiyE ayyappA

You appeared (tOnRinai) in sabari (sabariyil) to bless (aruLa) devotees (aDiyArkku) who seek (nADi) and search (tEDum) for you (unai) seeking refuge (SaraNam enRu), Oh ayyappA, after having observed/kept (irundE) austere religious vows (viratam) for a period of 4 weeks (maNDalam) [2], bearing (sumandE) the irumuDi (irumuDiyai) [3] on their heads (talai)! Oh maNikaNTha (maNikaNThanE) who is the embodiment (vaDivanE) of the flame (SuDar) of enlightenment, the god (deivamE) experienced/worshiped (kaNDa) in thhs (inda) kaliyug (kaliyugam)! ayyappA! my lord (svAmiyE)! I surrender to you (SaraNam)! I seek refuge in you (SaraNam)!

FOOTNOTES
[1] I am not able to make out this word and am not sure of it - but have translated contextually
[2] a maNDala means a circle - I think it is used to mean a lunar cycle/circle - 28 days
[3] irumuDi is what devotees carry on their heads - I think it has all the things they want to offer to the Lord when they go up the 18 steps in Sabarimala

Chitra Ramachandran

Post by Chitra Ramachandran »

Thank you so much, Sir. I appreciate it so much.

Harisanti

Post by Harisanti »

may i know who is the composer of this song