Chitra Ramachandran

Re: Varnam in Thodi

Post by Chitra Ramachandran »

Yes Sir. How can I send it to you?

Chitra Ramachandran

Sir,
Request lyrics with translation for song. Thank you.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Corrections welcome:

sadAshiva shankara (pv). rAgA: tODi. cApu tALA. Madurai Muralidharan.

P: sadAshiva shankara haranE sarvAlankAra rUpa sOmasundarEshanE sharaNam
A: nI tAn nilavidai vAzhbOrkku nIngA pErinbam tarum deivam ninavaNinda perumAnE
pAdAravindam paNindEn nAthanE paramAnanda tANDavam seyyum IshanE
mada kari urittaNindAi mahAdEvanE manam iranguvAi mAn mazhuvEndiDum
(muktAyi svara)
kANavE viDai urindan nenjam kALiyuDan tiru hAlam kATTinEn kAlai nI vegu pAmburan tUkkiyE
kAlaNigaL aNindADiya kATSi tanai kAruNyam miga koNDavanai kalin migavAi kaushikamuDan
aNindADavanE karuNai migu gangAdharanE kAlam innum kaniyavillaiyO innum kanrirandu aruLa
C: ambala vANanE unai nambinEn nAthanE emperumAnE viNNOrum maNNOrum
ennEramum pugazh pADiDa viDai Eri varuvAyE
1: anbar uLLam inburavE Ananda tANDavam ADum undan pAdam enrum sharaN aDaindu
pagalum iravum magizhndiDuvEn aruL purivAi naTarAja
2: Adiyum antamum illAdaruL tarum jyOti mayamAna shuDar oLiyAnavan
vEda vEdAnta jnAnam tandaruLum muraLiyum pADiDum vEdapurIshvarA aruLvAi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The sAhityam for the muktAyi svarams needs fixing. Is there an audio available?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar: I had sent you the audio on May 7th. Please check.

Chitra Ramachandran

Thanks so much. A translation request, Sir.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I have tried to fix some of the errors, but still find some words in the muktAyisvara sAhityam section unclear. I have marked them in red. The translation is therefore not complete, and is very contextual in this section. If any of the others fix the lyrics, I will post a correction.

As with all of Madurai Sri Muralidaran's creations, this too brims with suggestions for choreography.

pallavi
sadAshiva shankara haranE sarvAlankAra rUpa sOmasundarEshanE sharaNam
nI tAn nila misai vAzhvOrkku nIngA pErinbam tarum deivam nilavaNinda perumAnE

Oh SivA (sadASiva - the ever auspicious one; SaMkara - the one who creates auspiciousness; haranE - one who destroys sins/creation), I seek refuge (SaraNam) in you, Oh sOmasundarESvara (sOmasundarESanE), with a form (rUpa) that is resplendent with all (sarva) adornments (alaMkAra) [1]. You (nI) alone (tAn) are the Lord (deivam) that grants (tarum) permanent (nIngA) bliss/salvation (pErinbam) to those that live (vAzhvOrkku) on (miSai) this earth (nila), Oh Lord (perumAnE) who bears/wears (aNinda) the moon (nilavu)!

anupallavi
pAdAravindam paNindEn nAthanE paramAnanda tANDavam seyyum IshanE
mada kari urittaNindAi mahAdEvanE manam iranguvAi mAn mazhuvEndiDum (sadAshiva….)

Oh Lord (ISanE) who performs (seyyum) the tANDava that grants supreme bliss (paramAnanda)! I offer worship (paNindEn) at your lotus-like feet (pAdAravindam), my master (nAthanE). Oh supreme Lord (mahAdEvanE) who skinned (urittu) a mad (mada) elephant (kari) and draped (aNindAi) the hide around your chest [2], (Oh SivA) who holds (EndiDum) a deer (mAn) and a battle-axe (mazhu), please shower your grace (manam iranguvAi).

muktAyi svara sAhityam
kANavE viDai udindun nenjam
kALiyuDan tiruvAlankATTilE
kAlai nI vegu paNbuDan tUkkiyE
kAlaNigaL aNindADiya kATSi tanai
kAruNyam miga koNDavanE
kavin migavE kaushikamum
uDan aNindADiyavanE
karuNai migu gangAdharanE
kAlam innum kaniyavillaiyO innum kaN tirandu aruLa (sadAshiva….)

For us to behold (kANavE), with your (un) heart (nenjam) filled (udindu) with distress (viDai), you (nI) lifted (tUkkiyE) your leg (kAlai) with great (vegu) beauty (paNbuDan) [3] in the town of AlangADu (tiruvAlankATTilE) along with (uDan) kALi, and held (koNDavanE) with great (miga) compassion (kAruNyamuDan) the sight (kATshi tanai) of you dancing (ADiya) while wearing (aNindu) your anklets (kALaNigaL) [4]. One who wore (aNindu) a snake (kauSikamum uDan) and danced (ADiyavanE) with great beauty (kavin migavE), the extremely compassionate (karuNai migu) Lord who bears the Ganga (gangAdharanE), has time (kAlam) not reached perfection (kaniyavillaiyO) yet (innum), for you to open (tirandu) your eyes (kaN) and bless (aruLa) me, (Oh SivA…)?

caraNa sAhityam
ambala vANanE unai nambinEn nAthanE emperumAnE
viNNOrum maNNOrum ennEramum pugazh pADiDa viDai ERi varuvAyE

Resident of the temple/theater (ambala) in space (vANanE)! I have put my faith (nambinEn) in you (unai), Oh master (nAthanE), Oh supreme Lord (emperumAnE)! Please ascend (ERi) your bull/nandi (viDai) and come to us (varuvAyE) so that both mortals (maNNOrum) and celestials (viNNOrum) can sing (pADiDa) your praises (pugazh) at all times (ennEramum).

caraNasvara sAhityam 1
anbar uLLam inbuRavE Ananda tANDavam ADum undan pAdam enRum sharaN aDaindu pagalum iravum magizhndiDuvEn aruL purivAi naTarAjan (ambalavANanE…)

I seek (aDaindu) refuge (Saran) forever (enRum) at your (undan) feet (pAdam) that dance (ADum) the Ananda tANdavam fro gratify (inbuRavE) the hearts (uLLam) of your devotees (anbar), and will be blissfully happy (maginzhdiDuvEn) through the day (pagalum) and night (iravum). Please bless me (aruL purivAi) Oh natarAjA.

caraNasvara sAhityam 2
Adiyum antamum illAdaruL tarum jyOtimayamAna shuDar oLiyAnavan
vEda vEdAnta jnAnam tandaruLum muraLiyum pADiDum vEdapurIshvarA aruLvAi (ambalavANanE…)

One who has become (Anavan) a brilliant (SuDar) and effulgent (jyOtimayamAna) light (oLi) that grants (tarum) unending (without [illAdu] beginning [Adiyum] or end [antamum]) grace (aruL), one who grants (tandaruLum) the knowledge (jnAnam) of the vEdas and vEdAnta. Oh lord of the town of vEdapuri (vEdapurISa), whose praises, the composer, Muralidaran also (muRaliyum) sings (pADiDum), please bless me (aruLvAi) (Oh SivA…).

FOOTNOTES
[1] sundarESvara (or soundara pANDiyan), as the royal bridegroom for the lovely pANdya princess, aMkayarkaNNi/mInAkshI is supposed to be the most handsome form of Siva - hence the reference to the form that is bedecked with adornments - he is thought to be so handsome, that anyone who behold him, swoons - hence the name sokkanAthan (sokka vaikkum nAthan)
[2] refers to the episode of gajAsura samhAra, and Siva as gaja samhAra mUrti - the myth is that a demon in the form of an elephant terrorized devotees who were worshipping Siva in the town of vAraNAsi - Siva emerged from the lingam they were worshipping and killed the demon and wore his hide as his upper garment, gaining the epithet, kRttivAsa - one who wears hide/skin as his garment
[3] I hear the word as pANbuDan, but paNbuDan makes more sense
[4] refers to the competition between kALi and Siva in AlangADu - a competition that kALi matched Siva step for step, until Siva raises his leg all the way up - a step kALi could not match out of feminine modesty, and therefore concedes defeat

Chitra Ramachandran

Sir, I really appreciate your time with this translation. Will be helpful to me. Thanks so much!

durgag18

Post by durgag18 »

Namaskaram, can you send the lyrics and notation for todi pada varnam - Roopamu joochi valachhi"?

kavaseri

Post by kavaseri »

We saw one lovely programme featuring the Thodi ragamalika varnam of dandayudhapani pillai. does anyone have a video of this by anyone? thanks - kavaseri krishnaswamy