indian classical dance NOTATION SYSTEM-s

Classical Dance forms & related music
sou2

Re: indian classical dance NOTATION SYSTEM-s

Post by sou2 »

Hi,

I had requested for a copy of the dance notations, but did not receive it. Can anybody send me a copy pls.

thanks.

parimalphadke

Post by parimalphadke »

Hello Rasikapriya,

The system followed by Guru Dr Sucheta Chapekar is one of the easiest and practical ones. Her Guru Parvati Kumar, he came out with both tala and dance notation . During my Masters in Dance at UNiv of Pune , I learnt the notation system from her . The tala notation is just what is needed for the jathis ( especially to understand the relation between the aksaram-s and choreography) . You could contact her at suchetachapekar@hotmail.com

Regards.

parimalphadke

Post by parimalphadke »

To some extent the notation system is given in the Marathi book "Tanajavur Nrutya Prabandha " , which is about the Bharatanatyam Maratahi Compostition during the reign of Serfoji II @Tanjore. The book is available in Mumbai , you could contact Sandhya Purecha his senior disciple for the publication.

bharg.p

Post by bharg.p »

@mary

Could u please the article u had abt dance notations to me also..
ill be grateful
my email id is bharg.p@gmail.com

Thanks in advance,
Bhargavi

ksl

Post by ksl »

http://www.youtube.com/user/pratyagatch ... qxYRyvLv3Q

does anyone use notations like this for their pure dance pieces?

KSDD

Post by KSDD »

Namaskar dear Rasikas...
I have both the book and the scanned version in CD-Rom, which can be found for sale here http://www.matchless-gifts.com/store/pr ... 2dRom.html
It´s the digitalized version of the book, and can be seen on Acrobat Reader. And also much cheaper, since the book is out of print. I have bought many other products in this site and find to be pretty reliable.
P.S. i am no way related to the Matchless Gifts site.

parimalphadke

Post by parimalphadke »

@ Ksl

We do follow this kind of notation , infact we also show offbeats within those aksharam-s too....which is not given in the youtube video

Rohini

Post by Rohini »

Hi there,

I am not sure how late this is, but if you do see this post please send me a copy if possible. My email is moneesha.kamani@gmail.com

Best wishes,

Moneesha

saray

Post by saray »

This is interesting!!!!!!
Can u also send me a copy???
My id sayali_ranade@rediffmail.com
awaiting your mail
thank you

Sivasakthi

Post by Sivasakthi »

I know its a very late request but if any of u hv it please please sent it to my mail I'd Jaya.dfa@gmail. com thank u very much. please do send me rasikas...

umasankara

Post by umasankara »

I am looking to convert adavus into some form of graphical notation that is easy to use and understand. Benesh notation seems to be difficult. Not going with stick figures - something in between. I am curious to learn what Dr Sucheta Chapekar or Dr Padma Subramaniam used. Whoever received a copy, please send it to my gmail id (same as my username).

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have a book titled Sangeetham and Nritya Padam (Saraswati Mahal, Tanjavur Publication) which contains Marathi compositions - 23 varNAs, 16 svarajatis, 61 padas, 6 tillANAs, 1 tAlATTu, 2 tAmbUla bhEda, 3 mangaLAs and 2 mangaLASTakas. The text and notations are given in dEvanAgari and Tamil scripts.

joel.riou

Post by joel.riou »

umasankara wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 05:23 I am looking to convert adavus into some form of graphical notation that is easy to use and understand. Benesh notation seems to be difficult. Not going with stick figures - something in between. I am curious to learn what Dr Sucheta Chapekar or Dr Padma Subramaniam used. Whoever received a copy, please send it to my gmail id (same as my username).
There might be some misunderstandings about what exactly is "dance notation" when it is applied to bharatanatyam. There are actually two (related) subjects:

1) Notation of the rhythm. We want to write the rhythm of the steps in relation to the music (i.e. how it relates to the rhythmic cycle and to the syllabes, swaras or sahitya that are recited or sung by the nattuvanar or the vocalist).

2) Notation of the movement itself. Which foot do we stamp, what is the exact movement of a certain hand, which mudras are we using, etc.

1) It seems that the notation devised by Acharya Parvati Kumar that Parimal Phadke refers fits into Notation of the rhythm. It happens that my professor in Paris is a disciple of Sucheta Chapekar and that I had several occasions to learn directly from Sucheta-tai in Pune, then I have seen examples of such notations. This is basically a table of as many columns as there are beats in the tala, and each column is subdivided into as many subdivisions as we need. On one line, one can write the sahitya (or swaras or shollus) and on the other line, we may write dance bols (like "ta tai ta ha..."). Then, we see how the footwork relates to the rhythmic cycle and to the text. Annotations can be added in order to show in which direction we are travelling, etc. It does not address the matter of the notation of the movement itself: for example, if you write "tai hat tai hi", it is not clear which series of adavus it refers to, and if the bols are more specific, like "ta tai ta ha", you do not know which precise adavu in the series it is. However, such a notation is very important because it gives all the relevant rhythmic information. (I am surprised that this is not widely known or used, because it is clearly related to the Bhatkhande style of notation of hindustani music.) The same can be done using European style staff-notation (similarly as in a Piano score there are basically a staff for the left hand and a staff for the right hand: here, one can use one rhythmic staff for the music and a second staff for the dance bols corresponding to the footwork).

As you are interested in notating adavus, the rhythm is quite straightforward. Then, the focus has to be on notation of movements. Padma Subrahmanyam has introduced some ideas on notating them. This appears as a chapter in Sunil Kothari's book on Bharatanatyam. She uses a kind of staff notation. Each line correspond to a certain sort of foot movements (stamp with flat foot, heel, toes, etc). The notation only shows the footwork. In order to "notate adavus", she has to describe upper body movement by using words and photographs. Basically, this is not a notation system for full body movement.

2) Then, how to record movement of the body? Many people are using stick figures. Many positions of the body can be recorded accurately like this, but some positions require some serious drawing skills... I believe there is no "in between". If you want to record dance accurately, you have to analyse precisely positions and movements. If you design your own notation system, you are reinventing the wheel: rediscovering the concepts that are involved in movement analysis, which is not easy! I feel it makes more sense to use what is available and what has already been developped and experienced for decades! Each system is based on certain analysis tools, i.e. different ways of understanding movement.

There exists several notation systems in order to record full body movement. More than a hundred such systems have existed. In Europe and North America, two systems are used in professional context: Laban and Benesh. Several attempts were made with Laban-notation in Indian Classical Dance. Vidhya Subramaniam did a Master thesis on the notation of bharatanatyam in the Laban system. A few people made experiments also with Benesh movement notation (for example, two Kalakshetra versions of Alarippus were notated in this system in 1972).
I have been learning Benesh notation for three years now. The basic principle of Benesh movement notation is that it is a kind of stylised version of stick figures: in a Benesh staff, we have a sequence of frames (groups of signs), basically each frame represents a position of the dancer at a given time. Benesh notation was introduced first for ballet, but already in 1968, Rudolf Benesh and al. wrote a paper about the possible use of his system for Indian classical dance forms.

Benesh notation (and other notation system such as Laban) can be used to record movement of the whole body, the use of space and directions, the relation to music. Many details can be included such as head and eye movements, hand gestures... I have notated many adavus and several items using Benesh movement notation. I have put an excerpt of a Benesh notation of a bharatanatyam item at http://jriou.org/misc/benesh/prastar-extrait.pdf (This is an excerpt from Prastar (Chautal, Raga Yaman) choreographed by Sucheta Chapekar, who taught me this item. It is bharatanatyam technique set to hindustani music, but the same principles can be applied to bharatanatyam as it is usually set to carnatic music. Up to some little details, this is the choreography performed by Pauline Reibell in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eROB8FthFtU The excerpt starts from 3'24".)

There is a series of good introduction videos to Benesh notation on YouTube: http://www.dancewrite.com/OpenBenesh/Vi ... o_BMN.html (These videos were done with the intent of a use in ballet context, so that there is a certain focus on some special feet positions such as third and fifth position of ballet, but apart from that, most of the material is relevant for bharatanatyam.).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Joel!
First off, welcome to the forum! Your post was both informative as well as very well-written. Your passion as a dance scholar comes through very well. Thank you so much for sharing your views.

Devisri775

Post by Devisri775 »

Namasthe! Can I have copy too please. Devisri775@gmail.com.

Thank you
Sridevi