Welcome to new members

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rajeshnat

Re: Welcome to new members

Post by rajeshnat »

warm welcome Mayuran
Please do share any concerts that you attend in US and post reviews where ever you are

Usha Raghavan
YOu also can participate in posting more . Warm welcome . Do attend concerts near your place , post your anubhavam ,talk about your vidwans,vidushis and ragas etal in the respective thread.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Mayuran,
MS Usha Raghavan,
Welcome to the forum.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
27 01 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Mrudangam Rajasekar,
Warm welcome.
Share your musical experiences with us.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
17 02 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Spoorthi,
Hope you are music idol !
Warm welcome to the forum.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
30 03 2017

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

Nick H said, "It is very nice to see your "introduction." Perhaps you would also post it to our New Members thread, as TMK threads here may have a limited audience."
Thank you, Nick H. So here it is:
From yeshprabhu (Yesh Prabhu), a new member.

Hi Sivaramakrishnan,To answer your question and satisfy your curiosity: Sri Muthiah Bhagavathar's shishya, Sangeetha Kalanidi Shree Madurai Mani Iyyer, was the teacher of my Sangeetha Acharya, composer-vocalist-mridangist Shree T N Bala. In Chennai, very few have heard of Shree Bala. That is because he immigrated to the US in the late 1950's and settled in Pennsylvania for more than 60 years. Sri Bala was my Sangeetha acharya for thirty years until he passed away after a long illness. He was a great vocalist and had composed more than 400 krithis on Shree Subhramanya. You can hear him on YouTube: he sang a few of his compositions with no accompanists, and just one tambura. When Sangeetha Kalanidhi Shree Maharajapuram Santhanam came to the US on a concert tour, he visited Sri Bala and requested him to sing a few of his compositions. Bala sang his kriti Vilaiyada idu nerama? in Shanmukhapriya raga. Shree Santhanam liked it so much that he asked Sri Bala to teach him that krithi. When Shree Santanam returned to Chennai, he decided to sing that kriti at his concert, and people loved it very much. And since then they had been asking him, by sending him requests, to sing that krithi at each one of his concerts. That's how it became so very famous. Shree Santhanam's sons Sri Ramachandran and Sri Sreenivasan also sing that krithi in their concerts, and they told me that it has now become their family tradition to sing that krithi at their concerts. The rather unusual views I have about Carnatic music I acquired by talking with Sri Bala who used to tell me what he had heard about Mahaperiyava Shree Chandrashekharendra Saraswathi's views on Carnatic music were. Shree Mani Iyyer revered the Mahaperiyava, and used to tell Bala what the Mahaswami had told him. Even though I have learnt Carnatic vocal for thirty years from Bala, and for four years from Shree Flute Gopalakrishna Iyyer of Kalanikethana, Mangalore, (Sangeetha acharya of Shree Kadri Gopalnath) I am not a professional singer. That's because I have not practiced as much as I should have. I read a lot, and sing very little. I give concerts very rarely; I have given only three concerts at two sabhas in Chennai, so far (at Raga Sudha and Arkay Convention Center). Sri R K Sriramkumar played violin for me at all the three concerts, and Shree Arun Prakash, Shree Guruvayur Dorai and Shree Akshay Ananthapadmanabhan played mridangam at the three concerts. Karnatic music is just my passion and hobby. I will be giving a concert before I return to the US, at the Raga Sudha Hall next month, on May 13, Saturday, at 6.15 pm. I am 73 years old now, and losing my voice slowly, and so I wanted to record a few krithis before I lose my voice completely, so that I could tell myself that there was a time when I, too, used to sing!
Yesh Prabhu, Mylapore, Chennai

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you for posting in the introduction thread... Welcome to the forum :)

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Hello everyone! As my id suggests, my name is Vijay Siddharth, and I am 16 years old! I live in Singapore and LOVE Carnatic music. I listen to it obsessively, and love most artists (MLV being my favourite). I am a player of the Keyboard, and I am also a sometime-composer of varnams, thillanas, and krithis. I have also made a few 'innovations' in theory and laya. My other passions include writing (I am preparing to release my first novella, a piece of Historical Fiction, later this year), and eating (lol). I can't wait to meet and learn from all of y'all!

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Welcome to the forum Vijay! :)

shriram.krishnan72

Post by shriram.krishnan72 »

Great to read about members we all know only by screen names. I am new to this forum but a long time listener of CM. My name is Shriram and I am freshly retired from what we today call a cushy IT job. Now I have time to listen to more live concerts and share it with all of you.

- SK72

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Shriram,
Welcome to the forum.
Have a nice retired life, listening stalwarts' music.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
17 05 2017

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vijay
Share your creativity at your leisure . Nice to see a 16 year old having MLV as a favourite.
Warm welcome shriram krishnan. I see you reviewing two concerts in Thyagaraja vidwat samajam , please do continue

Ripri

Post by Ripri »

Namaste,

I look forward to know more about Carnatic music!

deepadevadiga

Post by deepadevadiga »

hey anyone having carnatic notes about bajana.... pls provide me...

Jeeja

Post by Jeeja »

Namaskars,

Thank you Admin for approving my membership. I learnt Carnatak music for 7 years. My father was a very good singer although he never learnt himself. He used to hear his sisters taking lessons and learnt all the songs. He even used to sing Western music those days. If he was alive, he would be 102 years.
He used to sing with my Athhes the song " Sringara Lahari" in Neelambari raaga, composed by Shri. Lingaraj Urs.
I would like to learn this song. Could you please let me know if I can get the Swaras for this song please. When I try to sing, I seem to miss the taala beacause I do not have the swaras.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards
Jeeja

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Jeeja,
Welcome to the forum.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
17 02 2018

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Jeeja, Welcome to the forum, glad you joined. Please post your request in the 'Identification / translation requests' sub-forum viewforum.php?f=11

SreeBharath

Post by SreeBharath »

Hello all.My name is Sree Bharath and I am new to the forum.I am a carnatic music enthusiast.

vasanthakokilam

Welcome SreeBharath!

stmdhr

Post by stmdhr »

Hi Rasikas,

We are a household team of software engineers & music enthusiasts. One of us has studied CM intermittently for over 10 years, one of us is a complete novice. We were aware of this forum & were lurking on it for a few months already. It is finally great to become a member of this very knowledgeable community now.

In our naivety, we have started a personal open source project to play solfege notations. We hope to get advice & learn from the community on this project. We shall create a new thread under Innovations topic about this. Even if the project does not work out as expected, we will still have learnt something from the journey.

We are eagerly looking forward to discussions. Thank you for accepting the membership.

With warm regards: Sita & Sai.

vasanthakokilam

Hello Sita and Sai: Welcome to the forum.

Srisharada

Post by Srisharada »

Namaskaram and Pranams to everyone,

I am Srisharada from Mumbai. Although my request to join the forum was approved in July 2016, I fell seriously ill and could not participate earlier.
I feel privileged to be a part of this forum and look forward to gain a lot of enrichment of knowledge and insight from everybody here. I learnt carnatic music from 1992 to 1998 but discontinued unfortunately due to asthma. I did intermittently learn but could not maintain continuity. Now since the last 4 years my health has stabilised a little and I have begun learning once again with my guru Smt. Vijaya Krishnamurthy.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Welcome to the forum. We are happy to have you as part of the rasikas family.

sarala

Post by sarala »

Hi everyone...ism happy to be part of this group
Very useful group and good for exchanging information.nicr meeting you all.
All the best to every one.

Christian Kenit Ram

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

Hello to all forum members !
I have been reading the forum for many years and I am glad that such exchange exists in cyberspace .

RichardM

Post by RichardM »

Hi, I am Richard and new to this amazing community. Looking to update and enhance my knowledge and I hope, I will learn from this community.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

RichardM wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 17:29 Hi, I am Richard and new to this amazing community. Looking to update and enhance my knowledge and I hope, I will learn from this community.
welcome richard. i am assuming you are posting from north america or europe.i am also assuming u donot have indian roots. If you are okay you can state how u got interested in carnatic music ,your likes etc....

RichardM

Post by RichardM »

Thanks for accept my request admin.

Vipanchi

Post by Vipanchi »

Hello all! We are a brother and sister who are students and avid listeners of CM. We are also greatly interested in sahitya and the theoretical aspects of CM. Look forward to some nice discussions with you all!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome, Vipanchi duo! Jump right in, and initiate/join ongoing discussions....

Preethee

Post by Preethee »

Sir, I want veena notes for kanda naal mudalai kadal peruguthadi.

Preethee

Post by Preethee »

Welcome to all

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Preethee: You need to post your notation request in the Lyrics/notations/Identification thread. Thanks.

GeorgeGranade

Post by GeorgeGranade »

Hi, I am George, and I am new to the community. I live in New York, New York, and I went to college and graduate school for music composition here in the U.S. I am interested in learning more about Carnatic music, and I am glad to be here.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome, George!

RichardM

Post by RichardM »

Thank you, admin, for connecting us with this amazing forum.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

George: Welcome to the Community. I live in NY City-Queens to be precise. Perhaps we can meet in person over coffee--Manhattan or one of the Boroughs, My e-mail is mkram38@gmail.com.

Sudarshini

Post by Sudarshini »

Hi all..
Am happy to be back. Few years back i was in as chandrajyoti (though i couldnt share much posts and actively follow the org). Due to few technical issues rejoined as Sudarshini.

Am Lakshmi Surya Teja, diciple of Dr Pantula Rama mam.

Awaiting a fruitful journey with the rasikas.org

Thank you
LST

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sudarshini wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 22:00 Hi all..
Am happy to be back. Few years back i was in as chandrajyoti (though i couldnt share much posts and actively follow the org). Due to few technical issues rejoined as Sudarshini.

Am Lakshmi Surya Teja, diciple of Dr Pantula Rama mam.

Awaiting a fruitful journey with the rasikas.org

Thank you
LST
warm welcome vidushi. keeping with high count of initials that generally is a norm for those from that belt and with your guru guidance and chandrajothi cool factor a very warm welcome L S T Sudarshini

Sudarshini

Post by Sudarshini »

Feeling welcomed :-)
Thank you!

SP Sharma

Post by SP Sharma »

my namaskarm to dear all members of this group. iam new to this group and also new to carnatic musin. iam now in learning stage. i foun this group to be more resourceful.

ambiramesh

Post by ambiramesh »

Sir,

Warm wishes

Please provide me carnatic notes for the murugan songs

Azhagendra sollukku muruga
Ullam urugudhaiya
Karpanai endralum

Thanks in advance

Regards

Ramesh

ambiramesh

Post by ambiramesh »

OPIC REVIEW: WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS
#1143 Re: Welcome to new members
by ambiramesh » 05 Nov 2019, 15:29

Sir,

Warm wishes

Please provide me carnatic notes for the murugan songs

Azhagendra sollukku muruga
Ullam urugudhaiya
Karpanai endralum

Thanks in advance

Regards

Ramesh

Zak

Post by Zak »

Hello. I am a rookie here and posting from north europe. Neither Indian roots nor expertise but I have visited Maharashtra back in 1989. It's a hazy memory now. I brought back a few cassettes of Hindustani music (sitar). I was interested in CD's but I could get only cassettes. I liked the cassette that has live Raga Piloo played by Ravi Shankar and and Ali Akbar Khan. Then timelords began to kick in and I got interested in carnatic music. My Carnatic collection consists of CD's by Nithyasree Mahadevan, Bombay Jayashree, S.Sowmya, Emani Shankara Sastry, S. Balachander and Chittibabu. I have also many Hindustani CD's, most of them are by Shivkumar Sharma and Kishori Amonkar. What should I hear next? I welcome any suggestions. Shivkumar Sharma's Vachaspati is one of my favorites but is it the last word in Vachaspati?

mangeshmavinkurve

Post by mangeshmavinkurve »

Good Day to All Members
I am Mangesh Mavinkurve and novice to the community and also to singing. I am fond of Poorandar Dasa bhajans. I have been singing albeit I donot know the language. With the help of Google I have got the details and meanings etc.
I am keen to learn the bhajans at 67.
I would like if some one can provide me with the names and contact details would be helpful. Thanks and wait for the response.
I am at present in Toronto, Canada

GP1

Post by GP1 »

Just a listener here. Thanks for this treasure trove of resources, discussions and reviews.

GP

aravind_suresh

Post by aravind_suresh »

Hello.
I'm Aravind Suresh from Kochi, India. I'm another one of those ignorant children who listen to Carnatic music with intrigue but have neither the gift of music nor knowledge.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Welcome from me, another one who has only the gift of love for the music. :)

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Hello Aravind Suresh

It is that intrigue that keeps your love afloat. You start understanding and slowly you get judgemental. That will be an unfortunate state.

There is an anecdote

A music lover who was traveling once in Flight with Balamuralikrashna had asked BMK " How do I get to understand music ? .. I love it some much but I dont understand much ..."

And BMK seems to have said ...

" Oh yeah .. that is why you love and enjoy "

LOng story short

Enjoy ... and once you have the knowledge your enjoyment takes a turn .

Best wishes,

Dr.Srinivas

Post by Dr.Srinivas »

Dear All, Thank you for accepting as a member. Looking forward for interesting discussions and learning from it.

Kind regards,

Dr,Srinivas