Name 10 Carnatic Musicians you heard live that impressed you

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
fduddy

Re: Your favorites top 10 Carnatic Musicians you heard live

Post by fduddy »

1. Voleti with MSG and PR/KM (The best combo who have mastered the CM and HM style) - Begada, Varali
2. Nedunuri and lalgudi/MC and UKS/KM Ragas Thodi, Kalyani
3. DKJ with VVS and UKS Ragas Revathi
4. DKP
5. KVN with MSG and UKS Ragas Kambhoji
6. Malladi Bros
7. Nookala Ch Satyanarayana
8. N Ramani with MSG
9. Srirangam Gopalaratnam
10. Parasalla Ponnammal

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There are musicians whom I have heard just once like voleti, there are musicians whom I have heard 4 or 5 times like KVN , certainly they did not give their best in those live concerts that I heard , but nevertheless when I extrapolate their musical worth to recordings they are just wonderful.

1. maharajapuram santhanam
2. KV Narayanaswami
3. Suryaprakash
4. VijaySiva
5. TN SeshagOpAlan

6. Lalgudi Jayaraman - violin
7. Voleti venkataswarulu
8. Sanjay Subrahmanyan
9. Rajee GopAlakrishnan
10. TM KrishnA

I had an oppurtunity to hear once prof TRS ,which I did not grab when I went to delhi. I have heard madurai somu singing once , but I dont recollect only my parents recollect, hence I am passing him too . BTW I have heard just once semmangudi mAmA speaking, I wish if he had sung one line atleast pavamAna then i would have put him right at the top. But unfortunately I was not even born when gAnakalAdhara madurai mani iyer was living :( .

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

rajeshnat wrote:There are musicians whom I have heard just once like voleti, there are musicians whom I have heard 4 or 5 times like KVN , certainly they did not give their best in those live concerts that I heard , but nevertheless when I extrapolate their musical worth to recordings they are just wonderful.

Instead of saying they did not give their best in the limited concerts that you attended, it would be more apt to say/rather ponder that your knowledge has improved. Applying the same Ariyakudi comment ;)

Will we ever se musicians of such calibre again ?

kadambam

Post by kadambam »

1. MDR - His voice in a grand auditorium did create a distinct effect and with current DTS, Surround features, i wish he was young again!! cannot forget his Kapi, Sahana & Reetigowlai

2. KVN - Mylapore Fine Arts in the lat 80's with VVS and UKS, he sang Ranjani, and an out-of-the-world Kambhodi RTP that was benchmark for Shruti and Manodharma

3. Pandit Jasraj - cannot forget his Sindhu bhairavi, that too, to an audience of school children.

4. Flute KSG - @ Mumbai Bharatiya concert in the late 90's. heard him for the first time.. was spellbound

5. SSI - Kalakshetra concert where he sang Kharaharapriya (ayyan avadaritha...)

6. TVG - Music Academy concert in the late 80's, Dharmavati RTP (Pallavi: "Shiva Chidambareshwari Dharmavati Pahimam"

7. UKS - been lucky to hear plenty of concerts live; the sheer excitement of anticipating his responses to the main artist or thaniavartanam remains unmatched.

8. Anuradha Shreeram (Formerly Anuradha Mohan) in a Television program - cannot forget her Todi alapana;

9. Lalgudi - Jan 1 concerts in Mylapore Fine Arts

10. TMK - in a TV broadcast from Kerala (if i'm right) sang a superb Saraguna Palimpa that i cannot forget.

smala

Re: Name 10 Carnatic Musicians you heard live that impressed

Post by smala »

Is this the Quiz thread - renamed?

sivapriya

Post by sivapriya »

More than the title name of the thread, the "conditions " that applied thereof were impressive.

Alathur Srinivasa Iyer ( though the duo is my favourite, I can only say his name as the other brother I have only heard thru recs., which is against the thread rule)
M D Ramanathan
D K Pattamal / D K Jayaraman (individually)
K V Narayanaswamy
Nedunuri Krishnamoorthy
R Vedavalli
Lalgudi Jayaraman
T N Seshagopalan
Chitravina Ravikiran

namrutha.srini

Post by namrutha.srini »

Ever classy musicians
1. Mrs.Vedavalli– Her knowledge and her explanations are just Woow.
2. Mr.TN Seshagopalan – One need not give any explanation about this legend.
3. Mrs. Sudha Ragunathan – her briga’s and flawless kanaku while rendering RTP and swaram is something that is astounding, Best RTP’s of Sudha (2009 MA Misra Nadai, 2004 KGS- Chatsura Ragam pallavi, 2009- Tri raga pallavi, the list goes on) One musician in Carnatic music who can present an entire concert is any style of Carnatic music(DKP amma, Semmagudi mama, style so on). As far as I know she is one of the best versatile singers. She is a true head turner.
4. Mr.Sanjay Subramanian – His creativity. He is NOT a wannabe like any other male musician.
5. Malladi Brothers – Right talent and hard work never goes unnoticed.. BEST example
6. Mrs.Sowmya – Love song selections. Off course her smartness plays greater role.
7. Mrs. Sangeetha Swaminathan – Her creativity and her flawless rtp’s .

Now funny people who impress me when I am bored
1. This man is a complete joker. I don’t want to name him. He might cry/yell after looking at this posting. He is one perfect hypocrite, wannabe, talks all stupid stuff only. He has tones of students who promote his name on all forums. All he needs to do is give some time for him to grow up.
2. This female artist is perfect funny woman who does only PR these days. Her unique concepts are blood suckers. No thalam, No manodarma , Few tears on stage keeps her as cynosure of Carnatic music. Crowd puller(Watchman till her relatives are always there to fill the auditorium)
3. She is a dabbling artiste. This female needs to know the reason why she uses Sruthi box first. All she needs to know is learn music from basics and climb the stage. No one replies to her threads in Rasika’s. Her Tv shows are aweful

kssr

Post by kssr »

I guess the last three are also part of the 10 C Musicians that impressed you! But the problem is, without a name , we can fit in dozens of artists in each of the three categories :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Alright folks, this thread has been going on fine without any controversy. Let us maintain that. namrutha.srini, that addendum is not necessary in this thread. Thanks.

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

Here goes my list:

1. Sudha Ragunathan: Definitely one of the most versatile artist performing in this era. Her 2001 concert in Mumbai was one of her best I believe where she sung an amazing poorvi kalyani and also suddha saveri.

2. T. N Seshagopalan: Too young to even talk about this genius. I can write pages about his concerts.

3. Maharajapuram Santhanam: I was too young when I attended his concerts. But his stature on stage still remains fresh in my mind.

4. Lalgudi Jayaraman: Another genius whose madhyamavatis and shankarabharanams are a treat to listen

5. Sanjay Subrahmanyam: One of the most creative artist around. His attitude on stage is what I like the most. Just take the plunge :)

6. Nedunuri Krishnamurthy: Like TNS, Santhanam I am too small to talk about his music. I just yearn to attend more of his concerts.

7. E Gayathri: She has been my idol since I started learning the instrument.

8. Malladi Brothers: No nonsense attitude approach to their concert

9. R Vedavalli: Never has she disappointed me

10. Smt Sowmya

Unfortunately would have loved to attended concerts of GNB, MLV, MS, Semmangudi, MMI, KVN etc.. This one is a long list :grin:

@namrutha.srini: Too many can musicians fit in your category. Just name the musicians. And as vasanthakokilam said, lets not make this a controversial thread. The Ayodhya verdict is only tomm so don't start a riot today ;)

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I am not going to name any senior musicians (will limit to 40+ or less) because they've been in this field for so long because of the "impressiveness" - among other things - of their music.

I do not remember individual concerts that well, somehow, but do remember being impressed by musicians. I cannot arrange them in an order either, so I just name them here:

1. Sangeetha Sivakumar
2. Amritha Murali (yes, of course both vocal and violin)
3. S Varadarajan
4. T M Krishna
5. R K Shriram Kumar
6. J B Sruthi Sagar (though the impressiveness is waning of late)
7. Ranjeeth Warrier (a vocalist -- very good one, many here may not be knowing!)
8. Ramakrishnan Murthy
9. Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi
10. Most vainikas ... to mention one, Srividya Chandramowli (a vainika of the Karaikudi style). I'll forever remember her concert with accompanied by her sons (Kapila on the veena and his younger brother on the tambura) and Trichur Sri Narendran.

kssr

Post by kssr »

If you consider the younger bunch, names that pop up are

1.Srivalsan Menon
2. Rama Varma
3. sankaran Namboodiri
4. Shertallai Renganatha sharma (now in Madurai)
incidentally all from Kerala
5. Amrutha Venkatesh from Bangalore
6.Sikkil Gurucharan
7. Gayathri Girish
8. Gayathri Venkatraghavan
9. Kasthurirangan
10. TNS Krishna
11. Mahadevan Sankaranarayanan

csuresh

Post by csuresh »

1.M.S.Subbulakshmi(The first live performance i heard in 1973 and her divine music)
2.M.L.Vasantha Kumari(The memorable Bhairavi RTP i heard in Krishna gana Sabha in 1986,later praised in sruthi magazine)
.3T.N.Seshagopalan(The kalyani he sang in 1999 december music season in Parthasarathy sabha)
4.Dr.Balamurali Krishna(Tiruvaiyaru aradhana)
5.Sudha Ragunathan(Krishna Gana Sabha 2009 December season)
6..D.K.Pattammal(1986 December season in music acadamy)
7.T.M.Krishna(1999 December 4 hour concert in Kalarasana)
8.Ranjani & Gayathri(2006 December in Krishna Gana Sabha)
9.V.Shankar Narayanan(Recent concerts in singapore)
10.Maharajapuram Santhanam.(Ramana maharishi centenary Marathan concert in Ramana ashram Tiruvannamalai 1980 January)

musicdazzler

Post by musicdazzler »

1. MLV - Accompanied my father to her concert. Started to appreciate carnatic music after listeing to her live. Her brighas and her creative RTP are mind bogling ..

2. MSS - Her divine music ..

3. Maharajapuram Santhanam - He presented his ragas and swaras in his own style satisfying common and elite people.

4. Smt.Sudha Ragunathan - Definitely a multifaceted musician performing for the past twenty plus years and still captivating many hearts ..Her inimitable style, extraordinary calculation and shrewdness in singing the swarams are her forte ..there will not be a sag in the tempo of her concerts even if she sings for 4hrs ..Many concerts can be quoted as examples ..

5. Sri.Sanjay - Impressed me a lot .. again many concerts ..

6. Smt.Suguna Purushothaman - For her knowledge and vidwat

7. Sri.TNS - For his wide repertoire and the skill by which even an unheard raga look beautiful in his renditions.Humpty number of concerts can be quoted ... A true legend

8. Smt.Vedavalli

9. Smt.Ranjani/Smt. Gayathri - The way in which they present their whole concerts .wow .. .

10.Smt.Nithyasree Mahadevan

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

What a nice topic! taking us to a nostalgic trip. I am only listing those singers/instrumentalists who just mesmerised me with their music and stage presence. I think we need to have one more thread for violinists as accompanists and mridanga / kanjira vidwans.
1. DKJ, many great concerts including his SK concert at MA
2. BMK an unforgettable panchamukhi pallavi in kalyani
3. MSS (one concert at BVB, sublime music, divine experience!)
4. Nedunuri (almost all chennai concerts since 1990), every concert was a great experience!
5. TVS [since 1984, enjoyed his charukesi, thodi, lathangi, panthuvarali (where is the ragam hiding now a days?)]
6. TNS
7. KVN [His concerts at Ram Samaj, Ayodhya mantapam with UKS! what a combination!]
8. Lalgudi (TRIO with Karaikudi Mani)
9. U Srinivas (at MFAC, Dec 25th every year with Kanyakumari and Trichy Shankaran, till 2002)
10. Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer (with Lalgudi Krishnan and UKS) at KGS in 1990s. After the first song he said"en vayasukkaarala paakardhe kashtam, naan paada vera vandhirukken, chumma chumma kai thattaadheengo" ( Do not applause for each song as it is hard to even see people of my age and i have come here to sing!). After couple of songs, he removed his "artificial teeth (pall set)" and had a snuff and said "ippathaan vasadhiyaa irukku! (only now am feeling comfortable)". He sang thaanam in Shankarabharanam to the accompaniment of UKS, i felt that this man is ageless!"

pramodh

Post by pramodh »

1. SSI
2. KVN
3. Mysore Doreswamy Iyengar at Navarathri mandapam
4. D K P
5. KSG
6.TNS
7.Govinda Rao
8. TVS
9. TVR ( on GNBs anniversary day at Trivandrum )
10. V V Subramanyam

syamale

Post by syamale »

1. D.K.Pattamal (only once i could hear her live)
2. Nedunuri Krishna Murthy
3. T.M.Krishna(not one concert of his i miss in my town)
4. Lalgudi Jayaraman and GJR and Vijayalakshmi
5. Sanjay Subrahmanyam
6. Kanya kumari
7. Flute Sashank
8. Malladi Brothers
9. D.Srinivas(Veena)
10.Ranjani and Gayatri
If i can add i get impressed when i hear my son's violin in the middle of the night. :)
Though i have not heard DKJ and KVN live i like their music. Morning walks most of the time with their music.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

syamale wrote:Though i have not heard DKJ live.
Neither have I, but I have heard mAmA teach...unfortunately, I did not have the maturity then to appreciate them/his efforts better..my loss!

suma

Post by suma »

syamale wrote:Though i have not heard DKJ live.
Yes, I have also not heard him live. However as a child I heard his AIR performances. His recordings on youtube and the Kamalambha Nava Varna CD are so divine that you feel spiritually elevated while listening to them.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

DKJ-MSG-UKS at Ayodhya Mantapam
I was fortunate to hear such combinations , live . The Location , The crowd , And DKJ .....
One great thing about his concerts always was that the standard of accompanists used to be top class.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

DKJ-VVS-UKS / DKJ-T.Rukmini-UKS / KVN-Chandru-UKS/ KVN-Veerraghavan-UKS/

I don think we can ever get the music and musicians of DKJ and KVN's caliber ever again with such quality accompanists.....

syamale

Post by syamale »

DKJ-Rukmini-UKS, DKJ-MSG-UKS, DKJ-Lalgudi-PMI, 1980's live concerts. Divine music to cherish for life time.Devibrova in chintamani, Amba nilambari in Nilambari,Meebalochana in Dhanyasi, Kartikeya in valaji the list can go on.

shriroop

Post by shriroop »

Hello!!!
1. Smt. M S Subbulakshmi
2. Smt. M L Vasantha Kumari in general and one program me where she sang for Smt Srividya's Dance.
3. Smt. R Vedavalli
4. Sri. R K Srikantan
5. Smt. Sudha Raghunathan she gave a concert at Avani Shankara Mutt premisis at night 12(whole night concerts to mark special pooja at Rajaji Nagar) after giving a concert at Bangalore Gayana Samaj.
6. Smt. Aruna Sayeeram at Vasanta Habba, at Hesaragatta Bangalore.
7. Smt. Ranjani Gayathri.
8. Sri. Vellur Ramabhadran's Tani Avarthanam in general.
9. Sri. T M Krishna
10. Sri. K V Narayana Swamy

:P

Shriroop

arasi

Post by arasi »

musicdazzler,
In your post # 30, you say: MLV accompanied by my father--which vidwAn is your father? Is he a violinist or does he play the mrudangam?

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Arasi, I think you meant post #39?

musicdazzler said:
>>MLV - Accompanied my father to her concert.
Meaning - he accompanied his father to MLV's concert!

arasi

Post by arasi »

r-t,
Yes, Post # 39! Thanks.
Seeing the optometrist next week. About time, anyway!

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Here is my list.

DKJ - Heard him when I was 9 years old. Scintillating.
KVN - Simply superb. Nothing else needs to be said.
Semmangudi mama - Legendary.
DKP - Dikshitar kritis to perfection.
Palghat Raghu - Majestic, excellent anticipation, stunning baani and amazing thani avartanams
T K Murthy mama - Mridangam at its best.
Harishankar - The one of the four carnatic music genius that I have witnessed perform (in my opinion the other three were T N R, Mali and Palghat Mani Iyer).
Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan - My guru - king of shudha patantharam.
Palghat Ramaprasad - Excellent talent. Awesome presentation
Kunnakudi Balamuralikrishna - Very "gyanam" oriented singing. Aweomse presentation again.

Thanks
T

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I had listened direct , enjoyed , enthralled and transported to heavens by Ganakaladara Sri Madurai Mani Iyer from 1962 to 1968 ! Each and every concert was a very grand success as Sri Subbudu Sir used to say about him. Unfortunately I had never listened directly to GN Sir , Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer , TNR and others and hence they can not find a place in my list .
The list would be as follows :
1) MMI
2 ) Semmangudi Mama
3 ) MLV
4 ) MSS
5) DKP and DKJ
6 ) Mali
7) Nedunuri
8 ) MDR
9 ) Voleti &
10 ) Dr. Balamurali
In addition to these I had listened to lots & lots of Sudha Raghunathan , Maharajapuram Santhanam , Neyveli Santhanagopalan, Sanjay Subramanian , Malladi Bros whoare worth mentioning.

Priya Ravi

Post by Priya Ravi »

1. Ganesh Kumaresh – for their command over the instrument, perfect sense of Shruthi and Laya and spellbound creative music and the violin tone
2. Mandolin Srinivas – for the flawless and attractive music
3. M S Subbulakshmi – for the emotional appeal and involvement
4. Hyderabad Brothers – for the chaste Telugu and clarity of singing
5. Ravi Kiran – for the depth of his music
6. Malladi Brothers – for the powerful energy packed performances
7. MSG – for the unique and perfection of the style
8. Bombay Sisters
9. Vittal Ramamurthy, Embar Kannan ,S Varadarajan and Akkarai Subbulakshmi– as young and good accompanying artists
10. Trichur Brothers – as young and upcoming artists

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

I hadnt been born / had a chance to listen to the greats (live) nevertheless my list would have been as under but for the rule 1.

MMI
MMI
MMI
MMI
MMI
MDR
MDR
MDR
MDR
MDR.

Now following rule 1the list is

KVN
Madurai Somu
Maharajapuram Santhanam
BMK
Tiruchur Ramachandran
TNS
OST
Sanjay Subramanian
TM Krishna
Vijay Siva

On the instrumentalists

Lalgudi
TNK
UKS
Ramani
VVS

I had the fortune to listen to Pandit Jasraj and Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and those are my favourites. I would love to add Pandit Bhimsen Joshi but for rule 1.

ratanabhinav

Re: Name 10 Carnatic Musicians you heard live that impressed you

Post by ratanabhinav »

Smt R Vedavalli
Sri TN Seshagopalan
Smt Suguna Purushothaman
Smt Bombay Jayashri
Smt Nithyashri Mahadevan
Sri Neyveli Santhanagopalan
Smt Ananya Ashok
Smt Usha Padmanabhan
Sri MS Gopalakrishnan
Sri Malladi Suri Babu

makham

Post by makham »

1. Palakkad Mani Iyer
2. M. Chandrasekharan
3. M D Ramanathan
4. Semmangudi
5. KV Narayanaswamy
6. Amrutha Venkatesh
7. TK Rangachari
8. S Sowmya
9. Madurai Somu
10. Dr S Karthik

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

1. Voleti Vankateswarulu
2. Nedunuri Krishnamurthy
3. GNB
4. Tanjore Kalyanaraman
5. MLV
6. Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan
7. Madurai Somu
8. Lalgudi / MSG
9. K S Gopalakrishnan / J A Jayath / Sruti Sagar
10. Ramakrishnan Murthy / Vishnudev Namboothri / Brinda Manikavachagam / Pantula Rama

melam72

Post by melam72 »

If we are talking of live concerts only:

1. Sowmya
2. Akkarai Sisters
3. R Vedavalli
4. N Ravikiran
5. Embar Kannan
6. K Arunprakash
7. Ramakrishnamurthy
8. TM Krishna
9. Ashwath Narayanan
10. Mannargudi Easwaran

Otherwise:

1. TK Rangachari (the ultimate all-rounder)
2. ML Vasanthakumari
3. Nedunuri Krishnamurthy (the ultimate voice)
4. Lalgudi Jayaraman
5. S Balachander (as I'd like to put it, we both are of porcine nature :twisted: )
6. GN Balasubramaniam
7. T Brinda
8. Amrutha Venkatesh (I've only heard livestreams of her)
9. Flute Mali
10. TR Subhramanyam

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Old thread, new infusions, old masters, new finds! 🙏

My list, of those neither claiming greatness, nor decorated yet with laurels:
1. Amrutha Venkatesh
2. Amritha Murali
3. Ramakrishnan Murthy
4. Abhishek Raghuram
5. Akkarai
6. Anantha R. Krishnan

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

1. KVN
2. R Vedavalli
3. Nedunuri Krishnamurthy
4. Lalgudi G Jayaraman
5. MS Gopalakrishnan
6. Pandit Jasraj
7. N Ravikiran
8. Trichy Sankaran
9. N Ramani - TN Krishnan jugalbandi
10. Pandit Ajoy Chakravarti

If I have to remember just one concert by the artists

1. KVN with VVS and UKS at NGS, Chennai in 1990 - Varugalamo Ayya after an elaborate Kamboji for Tiruvadi Saranam

2. R Vedavalli with MSA - the special concert she gave for the benefit of children learning music - in the terrace of a building at Nanganallur in 1999

3. Nedunuri with Trichy Sankaran at MFAC, Chennai in 1989

4. Lalgudi in the Kamani auditorium in New Delhi in the early 1980s

5. MSG in the TTD, Chennai - magical Mohanam for Bhavanuta

6. Pandit Jasraj - Om Bhagavate Vasudevaya - how many different colours of Om one one could visualise - at MMA, Chennai (Lakshminarayana
Music Festival in the early 2000s)

7. N Ravikiran with Sriram Parasuram and Trichy Sankaran - a soecial pallavi in Kalyani in honour of the great mrudangist who accompanied him -
the early 2000s at MMA)

8. Trichy Sankaran - All his concerts including the one above and his great accompanyment to Lalgudi GJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi in the
Thyagaraja Aradhana in Srirangam in 2016.

9. N Ramani and TN Krishnan at BVB, Chennai - Ramani Sir's manodharma knew no limits for the 'challenges' in TNK Sir's playing.

10. Pandit Ajoy Chakravarti's rendering of Raag Behag in MMA, Chennai in the early 2000s organised by Hamsadwani.

arasi

Post by arasi »

A porcine digging-up of a decade-old thread, but pleasing to read nonetheless...bringing varAhAvatAra to mind...:)

melam72

Post by melam72 »

arasi wrote: 24 May 2017, 19:06 varAhAvatAra
Just as Varahavatara saved Bhoomi Devi, I plan to do so with those innocent rasikas who think the 'product' the likes of the Cowherdess dish out is Karnataka Sangeetham :D

You can thank me later, enlightened rasikas!

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

R Vedavalli - She is a vidushi who excells in all forms of carnatic music ,: varnams, kritis , kirtanais , alapana ,niraval....swaram , rtp , layam , padam , javali , thillana , tunesmith ......expert in lecdem , dikshithar krithis and padam javali ,language knowledge : sanskrit , kannada , tamil , telugu , extremely learned and great at teaching , and deep research oriented rooted in classisicm and authentic versions , . Unparallelled ....If Tyagaraja were present today ,, I feel he would have sung ' Vedavalliamma ni samanamevaru '\

She should be one of the prime official representative for South Indian Classical Music in India and Abroad ..........I wish my wish comes true and her music takes the place of people's souls and minds abroad , in large num,bers....all could happen only if either MA or Indian Government comes ahead and funds , advertises and takes the mission with a vision