Oy BhAratiyArE!--A Child's Eye View of the Poet

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
arasi

Re: Oy BhAratiyArE!--A Child's Eye View of the Poet

Post by arasi »

Back to Bharathi's childhood...

How Subbiah Became Bharathi
-----------------------------------

His father's love for modern education of mathematics and mechanics did not appeal to young Subbiah. Listening to discussions on thamizh poetry fascinated him more. He was eager to be part of those sessions and spent hours listening to them.The jamindars encouraged the boy and were delighted to hear his impromptu poetry. Bharathi went to an eminent old scholar to study kamba rAmayanam with him, and his father was not aware of this.

Somasundara Bharathi, his childhood friend says:
We used to read thamizh literature, hiding in the vAhanAs of the gods in the temple (carriers which take the idols out in processions on festive days--in the shape of their mounts like Nandi and so forth).
We both had such resistance at home for our love of thamizh. thamizh paDithuk keTTup pOgAdE! (Don't ruin yourselves by learning thamizh)!--we were admonished!

Subbiah's maternal grandfather on the other hand, encouraged him to study thamizh. After having a taste of vaLLuvan and kamban, his dream was to attain fame by writing poetry like them. In a few years, Subbiah could recite many lines from their verses and amaze the poets at Ettayapuram. He was also quick in adding a finishing line to their poems when they challenged him to do so.

Subbiah earned his title of Bharathi when he was eleven at an assembly of poets who were gathered to test his poetic ability. He came up with line after finishing line, for every poem they threw at him. They were thrilled and bestowed on him the title Bharathi (Sarasvathi).

Not all the poets were pleased. To snub him, they would often give tough lines to finish, and before they even finished reciting, Bharathi came up with his lines. Once, when the poets concurred that it was impossible to write a kAvaDich chindu like Annamalai Reddiar, Bharathi instantly composed a song which began with the words 'pachchaith thiru mayil vIran'.

Bharathi went to The Anglo Vernacular School in Ettayapuram and then was sent to Tirunelveli to study at The Hindu College School. He studied up to fifth form there.

He had many arguments with Sivarama Pillai, the thamizh pundit. Once, he was sitting in the gallery (bench row high up in the class room). The teacher bellowed at him: you are praised for your raining verses like a dark cloud (reference to poet kALa mEgap pulavar too, here)! You are also sitting high up there. Why don't you rain some answers to my questions the same way?

Bharathi answered: the respected pundit does not seem to be aware of the nature of a rain cloud. It rains only when it pleases, to do so. It does not obey orders from a pundit, I'm afraid!

When a stuck up senior, Kanthimathinatha Pillai asked him to compose a veNbA with the last words--bhArathi chinnap payal (Bharathi is a little fellow), this is what he came up with instantly as the finishing lines: kAradu pOl nenjiruNDa kAnthimathi nAdanaip
pAr adi chinnap payal!

kAnthimathi's husband SivA with a chest darkened by the poison he imbibed, looking like a dark cloud--and the other meaning: look, very (pAr+ ati) little fellow (chinnap payal)--at kAnthimathinathan who has a heart as dark as rain clouds!

Bharathi's chithi (mother's younger sister) who took care of him with motherly love.

Bharathi's maternal uncle and childhood companion R. Sambasiava Iyer who was three years older to him.

Tirunelveli Hindu College school where Bharathi studied for a few years.

His childhood friend Soma Sundara Bharathi who shared Bharathi's love for thamizh.
Last edited by arasi on 08 May 2012, 19:30, edited 3 times in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi - these are lovely posts...I'm slowly catching up.
So, the mahAkavi (or, as Sri PS referred to him, kavi arasar) was an illustration of the saying 'AN mUlam arasALum' - He continues to rule the world of poetry!

nri

Post by nri »

A horoscope was considered so personal and private that many families in the good old days shunned to share a horoscope of a living person with unknown people - heard it through my grand-ma and she had an occult reason for doing so and the values they used to attach to several such things, what is seen as trivia in later times.
Queenie, did you get to know of his sub-sect? One of several vadamal, brahacharanam etc.?

Come to think of it - I'm getting inquisitive of all the wrong info that our grand poet of modern thoughts despised the most!!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

There is nothing wrong in being inquisitive about these things, I think. Without being inquisitive, Bharathi would not have known so much at a young age, and would have taken the best from our culture to treasure them, praise them and observe them, shunning the rest!

He belonged to the BruhacharaNa sub sect (I originally wrote that I vaguely remembered it to be vaDamA. Corrected now, after seeing PBala's post and K finding it in the book). BruhadcharaNam??

Ravi,
AN mUlam arasALum came true in the case of kavi chakravarthi. By the same token, peN mUlam nirmUlam would have made him upset, just as much as it would have the women, who were born under that star in those days! These sayings would have been made up by those who were like the bulk of Ettayapuram rhymers ;) Thanks to Bharathi and to the advancement that women see in modern times, we don't need to pay too much attention to negative rhymes like that!
Last edited by arasi on 09 May 2012, 08:29, edited 3 times in total.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Shri C. Subramania Bharati belonged to Iyer - Brahatcharanam sub-sect.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, PBala!

arasi

Post by arasi »

The Wedding
---------------

From 1897 to 1904, Bharathi's life was bittersweet.

His marriage to Chellamma in 1897 was an elaborate four day affair. Two other weddings took place at the same time: Chellamma's older sister's and Bharathi's three year old sister Lakshmi's! There were processions every evening and music from vidvans from Harikesanallur. Tamizh vidvAns were there as well.

in Chellamma's words: There were gifts of shawls, pearl necklaces and rings from the jamIndArs and Bharathi's uncle Krishna Sivan (from Varanasi). The raja of Ramanathapuram had sent the golden-nAdasvaram playing vidvAn Ratnasami to play at the wedding. The famed Tirunelveli Ammani danced.

Though Bharathi was not keen on getting married at such a young age, he thoroughly enjoyed all such celebrations of his wedding.
Traditionally, a groom did not speak to the bride in public. Bharathi even sang to me!
thEDak kiDaikkAda sorNamE
uyir chithiramE, maDavannamE!
kaTTi aNaithOr muthamE thandAl
kai thozhuvEn unai nithamE!

Oh, precious golden one,
Painting come alive, swan of grace!
Embrace me and give me a kiss--and
I will worship you every single day!

I was ashamed and felt so humiliated that I ended up with such a husband. How could a seven year old girl appreciate such romantic sentiments! I cried!

On the fourth day after the usual procession and the Unjal (the swing ceremony), Bharathi gave a short speech with a poem, praising the grandeur of the wedding and the tireless labor of love which went into making it happen. He thanked all those who had orchestrated the wedding and complimented my father for his generous spending. He appreciated the artistes for their music and dance.This made the guests exclaim: how very fortunate Chellappa Iyer is, to have found such a son-in-law! A lion-cub, a sterling boy!
My father was thrilled to hear all this.

The year after such gaiety, Bharathi lost his father. British merchants broke Chinnasami's heart by stopping supply of spare parts for the machines at the mill. As a result, the mill had to be closed down, sustaining a big financial loss. This undid him.
Sometime before that, Bharathi had written a poetic request to the Ettayapuram jamIn saying that he needed financial help for continuing his studies. It was against his will, but he wanted a job so that he could take care of the family.

After his father died, Bharathi left for Varanasi to live with his aunt and uncle to pursue his studies there.
He studied at The Mission College and Jai Narayan College.

His uncle Krishna Sivan was a devout and orthodox Siva bhaktha. The Siva MaTa at Hanumantha Ghat was run by him.

It was not easy for Bharathi to study at the university. He had to take an entrance exam in Hindi and in Sanskrit, the languages which he barely knew.

Pandit Narayana Iyengar who knew him as a neighbor across the street says: Subbiah was poor and knew nothing of Indian politics then. Once he met Annie Besant and had discussions with her, but ridiculed her ideas.
Before he left Varanasi, he taught at a school for a salary of twenty rupees. I did not have a clue then that he knew thamizh literature and was a poet! I've seen him carry a volume of Shelley's poetry around, and his sitting on the steps of the ghat, explain them in Hindi, though his Hindi wasn't that good. He also liked listening to Hindi poetry being recited.
On a Sarasvathi pUjA day, he organized a meeting and spoke in thamizh about how India would not see advancement if the women were not educated and were not treated as equals with men.
I often heard him speak on women's issues then, but not on politics...

It was in Varanasi that Bharathi gave up his kuDumi (traditional knotted hair) and opted for cropped hair, a mustache and a long-tailed turban.
When the jamIndAr of Ettayapuram attended the Delhi Durbar, he stopped at Varanasi on his way back to the south. Some in his entourage suggested that they take Bharathi back with them to work in the palace. Though he was not sure if he would stay with the jamIn permanently, the idea appealed to Bharathi because he could see Chellamma again and could spend time with her.

In the arid land of Ettayapuram, Bharathi tried to awaken a sense for the springs of good poetry. The jamIndar was keen mostly on erotic poems. The poets in the court did not have any interest in inspiring poetry which was invested with feeling. Only the structure of poems interested them, not what came alive in the lines.

In his zeal for awakening the poetic sensibilities in them, Bharathi started the Shelly Guild.He also wrote poems under the pen name of Shelley dAsan.
Last edited by arasi on 12 May 2012, 00:41, edited 3 times in total.

smala

Post by smala »

Enjoying the reads immensely along with the cool spray breeze on the coastline of Pacifica, Arasi.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi - beautiful!
arasi wrote:kaTTi aNaithOr muthamE thandAl
I see strains of 'kAttiruppEnO DI idu pAl kannattil muttam onru' already!
He not only awoke the people's poetic sensibilities, but also their spirit for svarAjya... (Kalki Sri Krishnamurthy pays beautiful homage to this aspect of the mahAkavi in his composition, 'deiva tamizh nATTinilE veNNilAvE' immortalized by Smt. MSS)

Govindaswamy

Post by Govindaswamy »

Nri
You have admitted to being inquisitive about all the wrong info that our grand poet of modern thoughts despised the most!!! You are absolutely right in this confession because he has said “சாதிகள் இல்லையடி பாப்பா! குலத் தாழ்ச்சி உயர்ச்சி சொல்லல பாவம்.” He rightly started his advise with children as grown ups are not likely to change. ஐந்தில் வளையாதது ஐம்பதில் வளையுமா.
IMHO the subsects are not castes within the varNam (வர்ணம்,சாதி அல்ல) of brahmins but onlyrefer to the different regional sub groups. In my opinion the so called sub sects under reference mean these.

brahatcharaNam – great exodus(travel)
vaDamaL –people of North
vAddima – priests, teachers
ashTasahasram- eight thousand

Among Teleugu brahmins there are divisios showing the geographical areas they belong to. (e.g) velanADu, vEnginADu, mulakanADu etc.

These divisions have no relevance today because the groups are not adhering to their respective areas. Marriages are not confined to one’s own sect. Brahmin boys and girls, particularly NRI’s are selecting partners from any nationality because they belong to the same varNam. (கற்றோரைக் கற்றோரே காமுறுவர்)

Only people of other castes in South Tamil NaDu, and HaryAnA are particular about selecting marriage partners frm within their clan. Hence there are so called ‘honour killings’ there.

Govindaswamy

nri

Post by nri »

Govindaswamy,
I have known that different sub-sects react differently to unconventional thoughts and deeds; my question was to understand how his family may have reacted to Mahakavi's words and deeds and that too nearly a century ago. Even today, many of us _mortals_ refrain from anything unconventional because we do not want to hurt the sentiments of people whom we love and respect.
Request that we do not transgress and let the screenplays continue.
Thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Companion At The Palace
-----------------------------

Bharathi worked at the Ettayapuram palace for two years as the jamIndAr's companion. It wasn't hard work. He had plenty of free time.
Yet, he realized that moving with people of importance was not so easy--that too, if you happened to be a poet!

His job was to read the journals to the jamIndAr every morning, make pleasant conversation and have discussions with him. However, it would have been a drag for someone like Bharathi who was endowed with a brilliant mind and imagination.

Bharathi himself conveys his feelings later in his autobiographical work Chinna Sankaran kadhai. He describes the jamINdAr's literary taste, his whimsical ways and his inefficiency in governing. For example, an order would go like this: give RAkkapiLlai some land !To which RAkkappillai, how much land, where, arid or cultivable, on what conditions? No one knew. One dared not to ask for details. Yet, the orders were fulfilled in some erratic fashion.
Va.rA mentions that Bharathi described his life at the palace while reading Chinna Sankaran Kadhai aloud to his friends in Puducheri. "How could I stay on in that land of the blind?", Bharathi used to exclaim.
The jamIndAr's focus on the arts was mainly on the erotic side--on books like kULappa Naickan's love and on provocative dances. He also had an unrealistic concept about love.
The jamIndAr sought Bharathi's company all the time. He needed someone to be at the receiving end of all his far from inspiring thoughts. Bharathi was the last person to play such a role. Flattery was beyond him. The sycophantic behavior of the palace staff sickened him.
The jamIndAr was also a bit hard-hearted and was difficult to get along with.The staff tied their upper cloth around their waists (in deference) and added the word maharAjA every now and then while addressing him. Bharathi used to wonder, ' if he thinks he is the emperor,then I'm king of poetry'!
He was not at all keen on this role of a 'nariyuyir sEvakar' (a fox pretending to be an obedient servant)--to demean himself by displaying false allegiance.

Though Bharathi was familiar with the palace and had witnessed such scenes before, he wanted to take up the job and give it a try when he came back from Varanasi . He somehow managed to spend two years as an employee in the palace.
There already was a complaint that Bharathi did not stand up and pay respects to the jamIndAr when he walked about the town.
Someone heard Bharathi say: the Ettayapuram jamINdAr has lands the size of a chuNDaikkAi (a cherry sized berry) and this world is larger than that! The word reached the jamINdAr's ears and Bharathi was dismissed.

At that time, there was a big fire in Ettayapuram. Bharathi wrote a satirical verse about it:
munbu ilangai vEndan oru *kavikku thIngu seidAn, ilangai azhindadu
ETTayapuram arasan oru *kavikku thIngu seidAn, eTTayapuram mayAnamAyiTRu...

(Once, RavaNA harmed a monkey and lankA was burned. Th eTTayapuram rAjA meant harm to a poet,
and the town became burial ground)!

*The word kavi means both a monkey and a poet
This is one of the poems which has not been located.

Bharathi went to Madurai in search of a job...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thamizh Teacher In Madurai

Bharathi had a few friends in Madurai. M. Gopala Krishnaiyyar who taught thamizh at Madurai College was one of them. He sent Bharathi to Sethupathi High School's thamizh pundit Shanmugam Pillai along with Aiyyasami Iyer, another thamizh teacher who introduced Bharathi as a poet from Ettayapuram.
Shanmugam Pillai said that he was going away on leave of absence to rest and recuperate. Would Bharathi take his place temporarily?
Bharathi agreed.
On the first of August, 1904, Bharathi started working as a substitute thamizh teacher. His monthly salary was seventeen and a half rupees.

Bharathi was a born poet--not someone who strictly adhered to the rules of grammar. Though he knew his grammar well, he was always drawn to literary writing which was free from the strictures of it. Still, he managed to give lessons which were built around grammar and were uninteresting to him.
Patriot A. Vaidyanatha Iyer happened to be one of his students. He says: I did not realize his glory then, but I could see a special glow in his eyes...

Though he was looking for another job during the three months and ten days at Sethupathi High School as a teacher, Bharathi still hadn't found one. The same Aiyyasami Iyer, his colleague and friend, had an uncle who was a reporter for newspapers like The Hindu in Chennai. When a sub-editor's position fell vacant at SvadEsa Mithran, he urged his uncle to recommend Bharathi for the post. Though reluctant at first, his nephew's persistence forced him to speak to G. Subramania Iyer, the editor of the journal, and Bharathi got the job.
There are a few versions of how Bharathi joined SvadEsa Mithran. This one sounds the most convincing of them all.

Bharathi's worries about finding another job were dispelled.

G. Subramania Iyer was the foremost among those who championed patriotism in Thamizh nADu. For his publication, he was looking for a man who had a sound knowledge of both English and Thamizh. The minute he met Bharathi, he was charmed by him. He was instrumental in bringing out the fine writing gifts in Bharathi and in leading him into the national political arena.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Arasi. Fascinating accounts of early part of Bharathi's life.

Your next post is your 10000th post here. A big milestone. Make it a great one, hopefully a continuation of the above story in this thread. Now, most important thing... Do not post in any other thread, or a reply to this message etc. since that will become the 10000th post. ;) If you are not ready yet for the next post in this series, it will be tough to keep your hands tied, but I am sure it will be worth it!!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi, :clap: :clap: :clap:

arasi

Post by arasi »

Spring cuckoo, Punarvasu and CML (I guess you are away for the moment, spending time with the grandchildren),
9999 posts multiplied by hundreds of words in each post--how many of them, and how many nonsensical ones!
Every line that Bharathi wrote was so rich in meaning!
One consolation for me is that all of my words were not my merely shooting the breeze with friends--thanks to the mahA kavi. Well, you could call me that too if you want to--kav(p)i ;) as in Bharathi's lines in the last segment!

G. Subramania Iyer speaks of the greatness of our beloved Bharathi in this new segment--his words were 'akshara laksham peRum' (each one of his word was equal to a lakh of gold coins).

Salutations to that Bharathi in this 10,000th post...

Thanks to Rasikas.org for making my life richer, the past six years ;)

----------

The first editor Bharathi worked under: G. Subramania Iyer.

The office building of SvadEsa Mithran at the end of Aramanaik kAran Street.

Map of old Chennai in 1904 when it was called Black Town. It was renamed George Town in 1911 (not in 1906 as stated here--a typo).

Sub-Editor At SvadEsa Mithran
----------------------------------

Bharathi joined SvadEsa Mithran in November 1904. The minute he entered the portals of the journal, he knew his affinity for journalism. A sub-editor's work also meant that he had to translate news from the English papers into thamizh. He had to find apt words for the newly emerging words and phrases in english. Creating new words is not an easy task, but it came naturally to Bharathi. He could translate long speeches without any difficulty--translate them in a style which would sound as if they were spoken in thamizh by the speakers! He was a fast worker too.

G.Subramainia Iyer admired Bharathi for his excellent work. He was also very good in getting the most out of his new-found talent.
Va.RA mentions this: Bharathi would be getting ready to wind up and go home, preoccupied with the thought that he should ask the editor for a raise, and just at that moment, a peon will come with a cup of coffee saying that the boss sent it for him. Soon, Iyer would appear, and Bharathi would have forgotten about asking him for more money.

"Did you read the moving speech of Sir Henry Cotton in the papers today?" , he would ask.

Bharathi: Yes, I did.

"Shouldn't we publish it at our earliest? Tomorrow, perhaps? You are the man for it, the one who can do it without losing the full impact of it. You don't have to stay late at the office! Take it home with you and bring it in the morning. I know it's child's play for you".
Bharathi would happily take the work home and deliver it in the morning.

Though Iyer made him work very hard, it helped Bharathi immensely in training as an editor. It enabled him to translate many speeches of Vivekananda, Arabindo and of others at the Annual Congress meeting. So natural were his translations that they sounded as if they all spoke in thamizh.
The first ten months at the journal was a rigorous training ground for Bharathi in his prose writing. During that period,it seemed as though he had put his poetic expression on the back burner. Then, in September 1905, his first poem 'vangamE vAzhiyavE! (Long Live Bengal!) was published in the journal.
Bharathi's salary was a pittance and he was always short of cash. Iyer was a very good man and he knew Bharathi's talents. Yet, he had no means to pay him more.
"Bharathi! You are a veritable KAlidAsa, but I'm no bhOja Raja to pay a lakh of gold coins for every word that you write!", he regretted.

To make ends meet in Chennai was extremely difficult for Bharathi. For the first time in his life, he came to experience 'oNDuk kuDithanam (many families living under the same roof). He makes a humorous reference to it in GnAna Ratham in the MaNNulagam (this earth) section.

Last edited by arasi on 15 May 2012, 07:32, edited 3 times in total.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

arasi-ji:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

...................... ....................................
..................................................................... Congratulations!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

வாழ்த்துக்கள்!
பத்தாயிரம் பத்தாது;
தொடரட்டும் பங்களிப்பு!

vAzhttukkaL!
pattAyiram pattAdu;
toDarattum pangaLippu!

arasi

Post by arasi »

PBala,
Wow! Thanks, but isn't it a bit too much?
You make me feel as if I'm a star whose name is ablaze in the marquee of a theater :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

So, the mahAkavi also had to hone his skills...no wonder his writing later on was virtually flawless - I can't think of any other word that would have served better than the ones he chose.
Congratulations Arasi!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
achERa ERa, Bharathiyin azhagu urai nadaith thamizhukku mElum merugERiyadu (Bharathi's beautiful prose gained more polish as he wrote more and more for the paper).

Pretty soon, I'm going to congratulate you and a few others for seeing your names in the light :)

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Arasi,
Congratulations.This milestone is an index of the time you have spent in Pleasant dialogue ( without hurting anybody and without being hurt) with unseen partners.(non controversial) : Sathyam bruyath priyam bruyath- Na bruyath sathyam apriyam.It is no small achievement
rajagopalan.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You are quite right arasi. I am enjoying my time with grand children.
குழலினிது யாழினிது என்பர் தம் பேரர்
மழலைச் சொல் கேளாதவர்...
Too difficult to post from this kluketty computer...

I for one am not excited about your 10000. Be it 10 or 1000 it is the content that counts on which you win hands down..
Especially your service to CM (as a composer) and above all to Tamil historic/journalistic literature is unforgettable! You missed your vocation as a magazine editor :(

Thank you for bringing the side of Mahakavi which we have never heard...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good to hear from you, CML! Thanks for being there for me as a constant encouraging force--like G.S to Bharathi at Mithran ;)

What can be better than being in the sweet world of the little ones! The internet can wait. Have fun!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi
Few decades back the very first time when Sunil Gavaskar scored 10,000 runs , the whole nation cheered including many like me . I cant recollect any other 10K worth cheering than your posts. Added to what ponbhairavi sir said, I wish more and more of your elegant compositions hits " mainstream" concerts , much more than inru varuvAnO nAlaiyO.

I must congratulate and definitely add certainly Krishnan Sir and your family , they have all given you that huge and extended --> s p a c e <-- to camp permenantly in rasikas.org .

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

arasiji,
thank you for yours..
very happy to see that you have reached a land mark 10k......the number , I feel is not important..it is how one reaches it..
not entertaining any animosity with any one..in a long innings..with different people having different virtues..with out any ego..
in a egoistic atmosphere around the world..in a platinum year of your age..

let Him give the strength and health..

arasi

Post by arasi »

Chakravartini
---------------

Within a year of joining SvadEsa Mithran, Bharathi blossomed into an ace journalist. Remarkable changes came about in his thinking. From being merely an Asu kavi (impromptu verse maker) and a poet in the traditional sense, he started writing prose and poetry in simple but charged words which made a powerful impression on the reader. His translations bore a stamp of his ability to bring what was written in english into thamizh without losing any impact of the original.
Above all, he developed a keen interest for what was happening around the world. There was a dramatic awakening of patriotic fervor in him.

At the journal, Bharathi was an object of admiration. That was how the twenty three year old young journalist who had been with the newspaper just for a year was chosen to be the editor of a new magazine which SvadEsa Mithran launched. It was a monthly for women called Chakravartini (the thamizh name for an empress--basing it on the name of the british magazine, Queen--honoring Queen Alexandra, the wife of Edward VII. Chakravartini even had a sketch of her portrait on the cover.

At the very beginning of the twentieth century, Bharathi was writing in the magazine about freedom for women, love (kAdal), the place of women in buddhism, Rajaram Mohan Rai and on various such topics.

He had wondered in an article: Can man be free if woman be a slave? (he must have written this line in english in the text because it is translated into thamizh!).

The magazine contained articles on the lives of great men (and women?), how women of yore were independent thinkers in India, how in the west women are now well respected...

In an issue, Bharathi wonders aloud and ridicules himself: in the name of a magazine for women, are we catering mostly to its male readers? We need to write in a style they can easily understand. That's what we need to do.

In that very month of May in 1905, an unexpected turn of events meant that Bharathi had to resign his job at SvadEsa Mithran. He joined a band of young men to start a new weekly in order to light the fire of patriotism among the youth, to awaken a love in them for their mother country.

Still, Bharathi continued as the editor of Chakravartini until September 1906. He was its editor for thirteen months.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Thanks for your vote of confidence. I better live up to it ;) You are a tough guy to please :( in general, but you have always had a soft spot for me.
And, thanks for thanking my family--they deserve it.
Wait until your daughter starts talking. She can compete with me, I'm sure!

Vkailasm,
Thank you! Thanks for bringing Hanuman for inspiration. I can see you are happy that another senior is active--but really, not as much as you are! K was wondering, using the old expression: avar endak kaDaiyilE arisi vAngugiRar enRu! (where does he get his rice from, meaning--how does he have so much energy in doing all that he does!). I wonder too!
Which reminds me--in Sangeetham was it, or in the beginning days of Rasikas.org, someone asked me: what kind of an ID is yours? Calling yourself rice!

I appreciate and enjoy listening to the endless music you provide, and also your writings--kavidaigaL, now MangaLam--and the beautiful images you post. Before someone zooms in on calling all this MAS, let me quickly add--Power to the seniors!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The choice of the name 'arasi' by 'Rajee' is most appropriate and symbolic.
S/he is a relative for all the members at this Forum whatever way you wish to imagine.
Just ask the question:
IS ARASI AMMA?
Your asnswer bouncess back if you just look back (backwards!).
Replace AMMA by AKKA/ANNA/APPA/ALLA or RAMAR(even almighty!)
i.e., irrespective of gender discrimination (as Bharathy would say!)
No one else has such a unique name at this Forum!
(she is not just a 10K but a 24K - and of course the K is part of her :D )

venkatakailasam

Arasiji..thank you for your encouraging words..kindly tell shri K that I eat only little rice...substituting it with cereals

vegetables and a little fruits..only music and sharing it keep me going ..

As Byron has said...There's music in the sighing of a reed;
There's music in the gushing of a rill;
There's music in all things, if men had ears:
Their earth is but an echo of the spheres.

But, I am not among the

Men professing to like music, but for the most part give no evidence of the niceties that the music produces in the thought process...
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 16 May 2012, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

venkatakailasam

Listen to...Pattukkuru pulavan Barathiada-Isai Arasu.Shri MM Dandapani desigar
posted at you tube on 9th sept.2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_E-HAHtl5E

KavimaNi Desika Vinaayakam PiLlai is the composer.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Arasi,

Thanks for the beautiful translation of Yadugiri's book. I have read so much about Bharathi, but learned much more from this book, thanks to you. Like the Tamil saying ' Karradu kai man alavu, kalladadu kadalalavu' (what we know is a handful, what we don't know is like a ocean). You brought Bharathiyar before our eyes. Yadugiri, Chellammal and others were standing and talking before us. Your hard work is praiseworthy and we appreciate the time you took to do this. Congratulations on reaching a big landmark! Hope you keep giving us treasures like this.

Here, I want to mention something else about Yadugiri. She must have been a very bright child with an inquisitive mind and thirst for knowledge. She became friends with a man way ahead of his time and her wisdom and reasoning grew because of this. But we should not forget her parents, who let their daughter be who she was. Can you imagine, almost a century ago, a Brahmin teenage girl discussing politics and woman's rights? The girls of her time, learnt from their mothers and grandmas how to be a good housewife, to cook and keep house. They learned music and the art of housekeeping. No girl was interested in what was happening in the world, let alone their country! Her father was a Swadesi and was for woman's freedom. But her mother also must have been a more modern person than the others of her time, to let a young girl go out and discuss things with their neighbor! I enjoyed the pictures and can't wait to hear the tapes of Yadugiri's family.
How do I get a copy of Yadugiri's book? Thanks again for your good and informative work.

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
Tut, tut, you are capable of getting carried away! Just because the words are palindromic, did you have to bring in the gods? Besides, if in the Rasikas.org family I'm considered by some in all those roles, why have you left out the title 'grandmother'? Some of them are young enough to be my grandchildren. I also reserve the right to admonish my Anna. Note the word 'reserve'. I can't brook others doing it. Not fair? We are family, aren't we? So, fairness isn't observed at all times ;)

Vkailasam,
Please drop the 'ji'. For the way I fool around here, it needn't be added to my name, I think.
Thanks for MMD's song and its moving lines. His compositions and singing appeal to me a great deal.

Maduraimini,
Thank you for your compliments. As for Yadugiri--as you say, she grew up in the charged atmosphere where the mantrA was Freedom. You ask, how could a girl growing up then was able to discuss topics such as 'freedom for women. Mandayam Sri Sri Acharya to me is a fascinating person. How sweetly, steadily he balanced the traditions of his caste with his svadEsi self! Yadugiri's mother in some ways strictly adhered to the family traditions. Her humanity embraced the svadEsis, but if you read the skit that Ranganayaki has written--translated in an earlier post, you will see Chellamma joking about Yadugiri's mother not allowing her into her kitchen because even though Chellamma was also a brahmin, she belonged to another sub-caste!
Though Yadugiri went to live in Karnataka and spent her life there--away from Thamizh nADu, she kept the svadEsi child alive in her every day expressions. Yes, I will bring in the pictures and their accounts later on, when we come to the Puduvai days.
Last edited by arasi on 19 May 2012, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

maduraimini wrote: How do I get a copy of Yadugiri's book?
I ordered 100 and i still have 60 to 70 of those original books with me. I am in chennai if you come to chennai will give you or you can nominate some one in your family so that I can pass it.Contact me by forum e-mail
Last edited by rajeshnat on 16 May 2012, 08:15, edited 2 times in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I got thirty volumes from you, some of which I gave to folks in India, and forgot to bring the few copies I had set apart for friends and family here :(
You mean to say--no one else showed any interest in buying Yadugiri's book? :(

CRama

Post by CRama »

Rajesh, I want two books. Perhaps we will meet in a future concert and exchange money and books.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bharathi The Reformer
--------------------------

Bharathi was twenty two when he arrived in Chennai. What did he look like?

A friend until the end, S. Doraisami Iyer describes him:
He had such a charming face. He was full of joy. He spoke with clarity. He was frank and expressed his thoughts and feelings freely. He loved his fellow beings. He loved good food. He was frail, but what energy he packed--all that shakthi in him!

At first, he did not have much interest in politics. His patriotic feelings were still dormant in him. When he lived and studied in Banares, he had shown interest in the advancement of women.That interest extended to addressing other social ills as well.

He lived in Thambu Chetty Street when SvadEsa Mithran was housed in Armenian Street. Bharathi made friends with many young men who lived near him.
S. Doraisamy Iyer who was a law student, Chakkarai Chettiar who later became a leader of the workers union, a teacher named Paul, Jayaraman Naidu who was a doctor and C.S. Raghunatha Rao who became a journalist-- were all his friends.

Patron to these young men was Ramasesha Iyer, a long time publisher and the owner of the famed Ganesh Coffee Company. The group of young men met at the coffee works in the evenings. Their exciting conversations continued on as they walked to the High Court beach where they had 'maNalil mahAnADu (conferences on the sandy shore).

There was something called a Social Reform Association where its members gave empty speeches about sama pandhi bhOjanam (all castes eating together), but there was no action. Nothing came out of all the bravado of their orations. Bharathi and his friends detested this. They wanted to make the lip service of the Social Reform Association a reality.

Belonging to different castes and religions as they were, they decided to have a feast where they would partake food cooked by a non-brahmin. Dr. Jayaram Naidu was chosen as the chef. After the event, they spread the word around town. They had more such eating-together feasts, regardless of castes, causing a sensation in Chennai.

They did not stop there. They started a weekly called The Radical Social Reform in english. This four-paged paper was edited by Ragunatha Rao. It
inspired budding young reformers in the city. Whether Bharathi wrote anything for the weekly, we do not know. He might have. Only, copies of the paper are not available to prove it.

Three leading national leaders of India at the beginning of the 20th century: Lala Lajpath Rai, Bala Gangadhar Tilak and Bipin Chandra Pal.

Bharathi's friend Doraisamy Iyer
Last edited by arasi on 19 May 2012, 08:57, edited 2 times in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Guru Darshan
---------------

Around that time when Bharathi joined SvadEsa Mithran, patriotic feelings were astir in the nation.

Ten months after he arrived in Chennai, Bengal was divided against the will of the people.
Bharathi got involved with politics and in1905 in the September 15th issue of the journal, he had published his poem 'vangamE vAzhiyavE!' (long live Bengal!).He also sang it to a vast crowd in a beach meeting.

Then came the division of Bengal. Public disapproval about it had an effect on the national congress. As opposed to the members who made polite pleas to the british government for reforms, there emerged a number of revolutionaries within the congress who were prepared to give up their lives in the struggle for freedom. There were three key figures among them: Lala Lajpat Rai from Punjab, Bal Gangadhar Tilak from Maharashtra and Bipin Chandra Pal from Bengal. Babu Aravinda Ghosh was also close to them.

Gopala Krishna Gokhale, V. Krishnaswami Iyer, Pheroze Shah Mehtha and Ras Bihari Ghosh were among the conservatives.

The Congress met at Banares in 1905. Bharathi was there to cover the events for the newspaper. He went on to Calcutta where he met Sister Nivedita, the spiritual daughter of Vivekananda. After meeting her, a great change came upon Bharathi.

Nivedita Devi, an english woman (nee Margaret.E.Noble), after coming to know of the heroic and ennobling call of Vivekananda, decided to come to the old land of India to serve its people. With the blessings of Vivekananda, she became a sanyAsin and led her life in service at the Ramakrishna Mission. She was ignited with a zeal for the welfare of India and dedicated her life to it. She was a tireless worker and looked upon India's thirty million people as her brethren.

When Bharathi met her, this amazing woman said to him: Son, let there be no divisions in your heart! Give up uncivilized notions about differences among castes and religions! Let there be no bias in you about one's station in life or of one's genealogy. Just keep the love in your heart burning and you will be praised as a heroic and heavenly creature and will find a place in the history of this land!

She also asked Bharathi about his family. When he said he had a wife and two daughters, she asked him why he did not bring his wife with him. Bharathi said that where he came from, the wife did not travel with her husband, that too this far when he had come to attend an event like the congress meeting.

Niveditha got upset on hearing this. She exclaimed: From now on, consider your wife as your other self--like the other hand which helps you in your service to the nation! Think of her as a goddess in your life!
Bharathi promised her that he would.

Niveditha gave him a leaf that she had brought from her journey to the Himalayas as a souvenir of their meeting. Bharathi treasured it until his last days. When someone offered him money for it, he refused to part with it. After his death, the leaf could not be found.

What Bharathi wrote later about this meeting: In a single moment, I got a vision of the glow of her renunciation and her noble sense of service. This gem of a guru made me realize that.

Niveditha
-----------
An offering of grace, a temple of love,
To my heart's darkness, a bright sun--

To our great land she came--
Like plentiful rain for wilting crops

For the helpless poor, like a treasure,
A torch to put out our sense of inferiority!

Mother Niveditha--
I worship thee!

Bharathi
Last edited by arasi on 21 May 2012, 19:43, edited 2 times in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Wonderful Arasi. The pictures in # 387 and 388 along with your translations are a double delight !

Yadu gopu

Post by Yadu gopu »

:clap: dear ArasiaRe,
Just tobe amoung your candid parivarms, I have joined the forem.
I am thanga killis third daughter in law and Author Yadugiris second daughter's second daughter and the only Yadugiri in the generation so far..I will be happy to help you in any way regarding Dear Pattys great book.
An udon..Yadugiri Gopinath. :clap:

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi - absolutely stunning! The picture and poem on Sister Nivedita were both beautiful!

And, Smt. Yadugiri Gopinath (or, as we have decided to refer to you, Yadugiri Junior), Welcome!! Your grandmother's book has ignited such a devoted following, it is unbelievable. It will be a pleasure to hear of your insights and inputs as well!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yadugiri,
Good to hear from you. Welcome to Rasikas.org!

You are already known on this thread as the only other Yadugiri (also known as Junior Yadugiri)! I have written about you--as to how helpful you were in bringing many of Yadugiri's family members together so that I could meet them.

With my present writing, very soon, when Bharathi arrives in Puduvai from Chennai (I am going chronologically, as Chithra Bharathi does), I will be posting segments about his years there. We can then do the Bengaluru meeting.

Yes, I do need your help! Part of the recordings is missing, and I will write to you about it with particulars. Could yo please help me in rerecording the missing bits? Thanks! And oh, big thanks to Dwaraki for lending me her copy of Chithra Bharathi. We are indebted to her for that...
Last edited by arasi on 20 May 2012, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi, I have been holding my comments bec. I was wondering if it is possible just to have your story continuously.In cas somebody wants to make a PDF,it will be easier.But evey post of yours is absolutely beautiful, I could not help writing(interrupting) here.
May be, we should have a separate(parallel)thread for comments. Just kidding. :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cienu,
Happy that you have a bit of time to read now. I can still hear your mother and Aishwarya singing 'nenjukku nIdiyum thOLukku vALum' for me in February!

Ravi,
You are always appreciative.
We have to thank VK and K for taking care of the pictures!

Punarvasu,
You are a dear. Anything written about Bharathi captures our imagination, that's what it is. rA. a. Padmanabhan has to be thanked for his tireless and dedicated work in gathering material about Bharathi and for bringing it all to us in this work.

How I miss your father now! That 'young at heart' was the first one to make a PDF of my translation of Yadugiri's book! I miss his delivering Sri Rama's blessings...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Reciprocating Punarvasu's sentiments and watching from the wings.
Welcome Yadugiri Junior.
Can we also have Dwarki join?
Yes! I miss veeyens too terrbly!
Thanks VK and K from all of us for the Illustrations...

smala

Post by smala »

The reading is dreamlike and Yadu Gopu joining in makes it even more magical... as if we can step into those times of Bharathi and Yadugiri

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Arasi Avl,
The pictures in # 387 and 388 along with your translations are Wonderful. I read word by word in my leisure and hence this delay in recording my appreciation. Excellent venture.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran 21 05 2012

arasi

Post by arasi »

smala,
The cool breeze of the coast would have endeared you more to Bharathi, reminding you of his days by the beach with his friends and children. If I have enough time to work on the translation, we will soon get there to Puduvai :)

Thanjavooran,
Always good to hear from you! If you have only read these two posts, please scroll back and you will find 'kaNNanaip pADiya kaviyin jananam'--the birth of the poet who sang about Krishna. Take your time, but try to read about his growing up years. After all, there is a magic about childhood, however insignificant we are, and here, it's about Bharathi, the mahA kavi and a mahAn!

CML said, 'take your time', and it suits me. Also suits most of the rasikAs in that they can to take in a bit every now and then with all the activities in their lives which keeps them extremely busy.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Always it is great to know about a great man in person.
The second best to hear about him from from one who knew him.
It is equally interesting to learn about persons who knew about the person who knew about the great man... perhaps and so on ad infinitum. But the truth always shines out! It takes a discriminating historian to bring it out even through a translation!
एकं सत् विप्रा बहुना वदन्ति।

nrv

Post by nrv »

arasi,

a great service for all bharathi lovers. Your words give the bhavam of his poems making them immensely more sweeter and enjoyable

Thanks

Yadu gopu

Post by Yadu gopu »

Dear ArasiaRe and NattaRe,

Very glad to be back here with you all..thank you all for the warm welcome.
ArasiaRe,
I noticed a thing which needs correction. Kindly bear with me.
My dear Patty Yadugiri was at Mysore, when Sri Barathiyar passed away..rf.post no.252on page11.
The manuscript I gave you seems to have both Pattys and her kid sis..my mamiyars scripts.
The note is my mamiyars, thanga kilis as the page no is 5, may be the previous 4 were Pattys..
Well, I'm sorry for the mixup.
Ranganayaki was there on the fateful day to write about it..ref.post no 350on page14.
Lots of similarities in the style and handwriting of sisters.
I will talk to DWaraki chitti and ask her to join the forum ,as suggested.
Once again, thank you all .yadu