Archive of Indian Music (AIM)

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
varsha

Re: Archive of Indian Music (AIM)

Post by varsha »

empathize the feeling of protectiveness (which is common among all record collectors)
one has to only acknowledge their inputs at every stage of the process and ensure a permanent place for them in the hall of fame . Talk to any of these original crusaders and one will get their feelings summed up by :
Great men have ideas
Lesser men make them explode.
The least get the triggers.

True of Music Academy , kalakshetra , Swarajya , Olympic Associations , FIFA ... :)

My point is that VAKR does not have to decide about shedding his protective nature and participating . It is for the rest to prove themselves worthy of his attention .

Vikramsampath

Post by Vikramsampath »

@Varsha: I fully agree with you and have been maintaining that it HAS to be a joint initiative of several interested people who have a stake in preserving our musical heritage for the future. I am merely a facilitator for now and nothing more. While I intend to respectfully reach out to each of these veterans in the field to seek their help to share and participate, I am frankly not in the business of proving myself to anybody or grabbing anyone's attention. The individual is not important here, the cause is. If someone wishes not to play a role in bequeathing their treasures for posterity, it is a choice they make and there is precious little that i can do about that. If they have better avenues for perpetuating this after they are gone, so be it. This is not the only path one can take !

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

vikramsampath: I don't know if you have contacted sri V.A.K.Ranga Rao who lives near Pycrofts Gardens in Chennai. He has a treasure house of 78 rpm records, all of which I think are CM discs.

varsha

Post by varsha »

I am merely a facilitator for now and nothing more.
Well then , Point taken .

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Vikram,

Any update? Is the Beta version available to public access now?
I could not find anything on Google search.

Thanks!

Sapthagiri

Post by Sapthagiri »

Dear Shri Vikram Sampat,
In continuation of my earlier post, I am happy to share with all music lovers that I have made a beginning of uploading music from my personal archive, on my blog.
All are cordially requested to access http://apkoilns.blogspot.com . Quite a few renderings of carnatic music stalwarts of yester- years find a place there. Uploads are in progress and will go on as a continuous process for a few more months. I shall be thankful for your kind feed back. You may have to put up with record hiss which could not be avoided in view of the passage of time of over seventy years.Best regards--A.N.Sapthagireesan

Vikramsampath

Post by Vikramsampath »

Dear Friends,

Sorry that this took so long to build --there was just too much work involved in cataloguing and creating the database, back-end searches etc. However delighted to invite you all to visit the website of the ARCHIVE OF INDIAN MUSIC (AIM) www.archiveofindianmusic.org.
In this first round we have featured close to 180 artists and about 600 clips of them all-- the complete listing is on http://archiveofindianmusic.org/listing/

I look forward to your valuable feedback and any suggestions for improvement. If there are articles or columns any one would want to submit to make this a more informative site, please do let me know. My email ID is vikram.sampath@gmail.com / info@archiveofindianmusic.org.

Warm regards
Vikram Sampath.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Congratulations Vikram and team. A great start.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Vikram,
First look and feel- very neat. I enjoyed the famous Radha Jayalakshmi 'Sri Valli..'!
Congrats and keep it up.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Can I download the clips, or is it streaming only?

Vikramsampath

Post by Vikramsampath »

Thank you v much mohan and RSachi ! If there is any feedback that you think will help us improve, pls do let me know.

girish--the clips cant be downloaded, only listened to on streaming audio...and souncloud streams fast !

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Excellent work Vikram. Congratulations on the launch.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Some of the listings are absolutely priceless. Like the 10 year MSS. precious!
Great job, Vikram. I take it that there is a reason for the pieces chosen under each artiste?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Vikram - awesome job. Kudos!

Did not know that the dancer Smt. Kamala Lakshmanan also sang...

Any information on Nataraja Natya Niketan?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Vikramsampath: Please check your email.

Vikramsampath

Post by Vikramsampath »

Thank you mahasvishnu, rshankar: Well, as of now with the limitations on our SoundCloud account (further upgradation costing 400 Euros or some such :) )we had to restrict it to less than 5-6 tracks per artist. Slowly hope to upload more clips which are all ready anyway and waiting to go live. Selected some of the best and unique tracks of each artist.
I am not sure of the Nataraja Natya Niketan... lot of the info/bios of artists would depend on public contributions too.
Lakshman ji-- i have replied to your email. thanks a lot.

harimau

Post by harimau »

girish_a wrote:Can I download the clips, or is it streaming only?
Technically, it is possible to download the audio clips.

It merely takes a small amount of fooling around with certain types of software.

sukumar

Post by sukumar »

thank u... i heard Ninnu vina by Sri. T. R Mahalingam

fantafabulous!

Vikramsampath

Post by Vikramsampath »

Dear Friends,

I am delighted to invite those of you who are in Bangalore to the formal launch of the Archive of Indian Music (AIM) on 10th May 2013 at 6 PM by His Excellency Dr H R Bhardwaj, Governor of Karnataka at the Alliance de Francaise, Vasanthnagar. . Chief Patron of the Archive Mr. TV Mohandas Pai, Mr Chiranjiv Singh, former Chief Secretary of Karnataka and Mr Umesh Ganjam would be the guests of honour.

The launch is accompanied by a unique Audio Exhibition titled "Voices of India" and would be on for a week thereafter, from 10th evening to 17th May 2013, 10 AM- 7 PM. The event is presented by Ganjam which has always played a pivotal role in promoting classical music.

'Voices of India' presents a sample of the kind of treasure trove that the Archive has in its possession and truly represents the diverse voices of the country. All these were recorded during the Gramophone era, right from the first recording artist Gauhar Jaan in 1902 till the 1950s. From the pristine voices and divine instruments of classical music stalwarts like Abdul Karim Khan, Kesarbai Kerkar, Narayanrao Vyas, Gangubai Hangal, Bangalore Nagarathnamma, M S Subbulakshmi, Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Veena Dhanammal, GNB, Mali and Chowdiah and others to the rustic lilting folk tunes of Tamil Kavadi Chindu, Bengali, Rajasthani, Chattisgarhi, Bhojpuri and Punjabi folk; from the theatre music of Bal Gandharva’s Marathi theatre to Kannada and Gujrati theatre; the cinematic geniuses K L Saigal, MK Thyagaraja Bhagavathar, Sundarabai of Pune and P Leela to the first recording of the National Anthem by the Vishwa Bharati chorus, devotional songs and Qawwalis/Ghazals, speeches by Mahatma Gandhi, Subhash Chandra Bose and H H Aga Khan III and poetry recitations by Rabindranath Tagore & Kazi Nazrul Islam-----it provides a kaleidoscope of the rich aural inheritance of our country.

After Bangalore the Exhibition moves to other cities like Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata & Mumbai over the next 5 months.

I would be grateful if friends from Bangalore could kindly send me a confirmation of their attendance to vikram.sampath@gmail.com

Look forward to seeing you there,

Warm regards
Vikram.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sounds great Vikram. Your description of the breadth and depth of Indian music is quite awe inspiring.

Best wishes for the launch and the exhibition.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vikram,
As always, you impress us all no end with your dedication to such projects, striving to achieve them mainly with your love for the arts. Of course, your inspired imagination is at work, as with your writings. Though young, you are strongly motivated by old precious music and its history.

Congratulations! May your work continue!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Went to the Alliance Francaise exhibition of AIM. Nice open layout in a courtyard with graphics and panels talking of the musical greats and the history of recording in India. They had laid out smart phones with an album of 44 tracks playing through twaang we could hear. A nice handout about the exhibition.

They say music should be a part of one's childhood. Here is a snap;

Vikramsampath

Post by Vikramsampath »

Thank you v much for all the wishes- Vasanthakokilam, Arasi ji and Rsachi ! Was delighted to see the photo of the two young kids listening ---made all the efforts put in over several months to curate this exhibition worthwhile :-)
The Exhibition and the launch went on well and was well-attended over the last week. It was also suitably covered in the media here.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/332 ... -past.html
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 996954.cms
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 873856.cms
http://dnasyndication.com/dna/dna_engli ... DNBAN68036

The Exhibition "Voices of India" now moves to other cities over the next 4-5 months and hope many of you can make it there !

Warm regards
Vikram

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Vikram,
Any ideas on how such offerings may be appreciated by those of us so far away? Are you planning on a tour of he US with this exhibit, for instance?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Ravi,
Go to the website http://archiveofindianmusic.org/
Every single of those 44 tracks and also the info bites are all there for your pleasure. There is even MORE music on the website.

Vikramsampath

Post by Vikramsampath »

rshankar, the website of course gives you a chance to listen to these recordings. The exhibition tracks were however largely exclusive and not found on the website.
Would love to bring the exhibition to the US too provided there is some host organization that might be interested in this!
Regards
Vikram.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Would love to bring the exhibition to the US too provided there is some host organization that might be interested in this!
Vikram, I would be delighted if this is a possibility. Are you considering this seriously?

Vikramsampath

Post by Vikramsampath »

@ mahavishnu: Yes of course would seriously be glad to, provided, as i mentioned, there is a host organization willing to support.
Regards,
Vikram

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Vikram- Hearty Congratulations for Your Excellent Work !!!

It was a pleasure indeed to listen to Bangalore Nagarthnamma's vintage recordings. Will be listening to all the recordings one by one in AIM.

Kudos to you once again for your excellent work.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Vikramsampath wrote: 21 Dec 2012, 13:49 Dear Friends,

Sorry that this took so long to build --there was just too much work involved in cataloguing and creating the database, back-end searches etc. However delighted to invite you all to visit the website of the ARCHIVE OF INDIAN MUSIC (AIM) www.archiveofindianmusic.org.
In this first round we have featured close to 180 artists and about 600 clips of them all-- the complete listing is on http://archiveofindianmusic.org/listing/

I look forward to your valuable feedback and any suggestions for improvement. If there are articles or columns any one would want to submit to make this a more informative site, please do let me know. My email ID is vikram.sampath@gmail.com / info@archiveofindianmusic.org.

Warm regards
Vikram Sampath.

Congratulations. If you still come to Rasikas, a big Hi to you.
And keep up the good work. I'll also provide material and support for your effort.

Regards
VSN