Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been sung

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
bala747

Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been sung

Post by bala747 »

Yes. I found out later that Abhishek was Abhishek Raghuram.

I remember hearing him once. Terrible, terrible musician. He is to music what a contortionist is to dance. Didn't think he would still be performing hence didn't recall the name immediately but yeah, I have heard of him.

Yes I am still here in Singapore. Father of two girls now. But these days prefer to listen from my collection rather than spend 20-50 dollars to listen to yet another hackneyed Chakkaniraja.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

We have roughly entry no 18 for the chathur raga - 4 raga collection.
REmember there should be four ragas, four taanam , four neraval and four swaras. No outsourcing to violin
The 18th entry happened in year 2017

18. Sankaran Namboodhiri sang on Jan 01st,2017 in the 4 hour concert in mudhra. Kudos to vidwan sankaran nambhoothiri.

Four raga RTP- Ranjani,Mohanam,Poorvikalyani,Saranga
Pallavi-Ranjani Niranjani Mohana taragatri Karunapuritanaye Sarangapani Devi
Khanda Triputa talam 2 kalai
Crama wrote :
The pallavi- with elaborate alapana, tanam, neraval and swarams in all the four ragams was a real treat. All the alapanas were detailed- only Saranga was slightly lesser duration. The alapana itself took 30 minutes. Tanam was supported by Mridangam. The entire pallavi excluding tani took one hour and ten minutes. Swaras were rendered at various eduppus and the final korvai included all the four ragams.

Incidentally is he the first musician to sing 4 taanams with mrudangam in the history of CM . Crama did he sing taanam with mrudangam in all 4 ragas or was it just a part of it where mrudangam accompaniment was there for taanam.

CRama

Post by CRama »

The entire tanam was to the accompaniment of Mridangam and Ghatam.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

I don't know if this would qualify I have heard in 2003 on Dec 25th - Mandolin Srinivas render RTP in the five Ghana Ragas. It was a real experience and how I cherish that!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:I don't know if this would qualify I have heard in 2003 on Dec 25th - Mandolin Srinivas render RTP in the five Ghana Ragas. It was a real experience and how I cherish that!
Parivadini,
Did he play in all 4 or 5 ragas the alapana, taanam , neraval and swaras . If you have recording just listen again and let me know . I am not counting it .

By the way there was another 5 raga pallavi that mandolin srinivas played that was suggested . I did not count it as I was not sure if he played neraval and swaras for all those ragas . Also GRS explicitly mentions that he played taanam in only 3. Check this viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20608

I am waiting on your 2003 mandolin data if the mandolin genius indeed played all 4 parts in all 4 or 5 ragas.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

He did play raga, tana in all five ragas. The pallavi line had all five ragas contained in it. He played neraval for the pallavi and did play swaras in all five ragas.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Unfortunately, I don't have a recording. But I'm 100% sure as what he played is etched in my memory forever. He played an out of the world Kalyani as main that day.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:He did play raga, tana in all five ragas. The pallavi line had all five ragas contained in it. He played neraval for the pallavi and did play swaras in all five ragas.
I trust you is that lalitha ram or another founder of parivadhini who is writing this post . Was the concert in Mylapore Fine arts. May be some one surely reviewed it in sangeetham.com then, Any way that history is purposely purged.

19. RTP In 5 Ghana pancharathna ragas by Mandolin Srinivas@Dec25, 2003 season in 5 ragas where we had 5 ragas , 5 taanam, 5 neraval and 5 swaras. Who else can be that other than late maestro mandolin Srinivas who was always blessed by his ishta devata Jai Hanuman.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Rajesh - This is lalitharam.

Of course it goes without saying that Dec 25th means the venue is MFAC. I tried not to miss him play at this venue and on Jan 1st at Kalarasana (and if possible Dec 23rd at the academy too).

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

rajeshnat wrote:
May be some one surely reviewed it in sangeetham.com then, Any way that history is purposely purged.
I may have some notes. Let me see if I can dig them up.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:
rajeshnat wrote:
May be some one surely reviewed it in sangeetham.com then, Any way that history is purposely purged.
I may have some notes. Let me see if I can dig them up.
Please put it as an appended post in mandolin srinivas vidwans and vidushi thread ? that way it stays for more time immortal . Not here please??

CRama

Post by CRama »

Lalitaram, By any chance do you remember the sahithyam of the pallavi. Did USrinivas sing the pallavi.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

CRama wrote:Lalitaram, By any chance do you remember the sahithyam of the pallavi. Did USrinivas sing the pallavi.
He did "read out" the pallavi. If I remember right the pallavi didn't have any raga mudra. If I remember right it was in Khanda Triputa, 2 kalai, sama eduppu. Unfortunately I can't recollect more.

I tried to see my notes. I could only locate some notes on the concert on Dec 23rd at Music Academy. He had played Urmika and Thodi RTP. Unfortunately I have lost the notes on this concert.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

I haven't checked it out in detail not have i looked at previous posts to see if this has been already covered. Posting it here - nevertheless - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42qdTHZ ... e=youtu.be

CRama

Post by CRama »

Parivadini, Just enjoying the four raga pallavi by Raji Gopalakrishnan. I have not heard this earlier. Very scholarly and aesthetic presentation. Thanks for the link.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Raji Gopalakrishnan has sung this another raga RTP.(courtesy Post #88 by parivadini)

RAgam TAnam Pallavi (Bhairavi/ natabhairavi/ vasanthaBhairavi/ anandabhairavi)
Pallavi Line ----------->>>>>>> Bhairavi natabhairavi vasantha bhairavi sadA aruL Anandabhairavi

She has sung 4 ragas, 4 taanams ,4 neravals and 4+2 swaras. She qualifies in 4 x 4 x 4 x 6 raga. The pallavi lines whenever she touches those 4 ragas she takes those phrases in that raga. Then she also rotates with the full line and takes each of the raga in neraval. Kind of learning , unlearning and relearning happens there in kutcheri. Then the swaras in natabhairavi vasanthabhairavi and anandabhairavi (3 bhairavis), then there were swaras in salakabhairavi,sindhubhairavi and then the bhairavi to make it 6 swaras. She only sings and no giving to violin .

Incidentally she has sung another 4 ragam RTP. Refer my post #49 in this thread. Kudos to this extraordinary vidushi Raji. So this is enumerated in my count .

19. Raji Gopalakrishnan sings 4 X 4 X 4 X4 RAgam TAnam Pallavi (Bhairavi/ natabhairavi/ vasanthaBhairavi/ anandabhairavi)
Pallavi: Bhairavi natabhairavi vasantha bhairavi sadA aruL Anandabhairavi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

So we have after a long time another 4 raga chatur pallavi(4 Ragas AND 4 Taanam AND 4 neraval and 4 swaras)

20. Sudha Ragunathan taking up 4 ragas in suddha dhanyasi , karna ranjani , subha pantuvarali and begada. in academy - dec 2017
Pallavi : Narayana Namo Narayana Sri Sathyanarayana Anudinamum Karumaiya - Suddha Dhanyasi, Karna Ranjani, Shubha Pantuvarali, Begada - Misra Jhampa in Kanda Nadai - RTP.
Sudha also did a brief grahabedham to gruha bedham and while singing swaram where she touched upon Mohanam, Hindolam, Sudha Saveri and Madhyamavati . The RTP was for 40 minutes.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Pallavi probably was 'anudinamum kAvumaiyA' (not karumaiya)....

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Now we have the 21st chathur 4 raga

21. RTP in sapta ragas ,sapta thalas and sapta swaras sung by SakethaRaman in Pallavi Darbar 2018
# Raaga alapanas handled in alapana are SimmhendraMadhyamam (Main Anchor) + Poornashadjam + Rishabapriya + Devagandhari
# Taanam in Simmhendramadhyamam + LalithaPanchamam + Dhaivathangi + Neethimathi(nishadam in Dikshitar Asampoorna sampradayam)
# Swaras in sapta neraval and sapta swaras - Poornashadjam(For shadjam) + Rishabapriya(For Rishabham) + devagandhari (For gandharam) + simmhendra madhyamam (for madhyamam) + LalithaPanchamam (For Panchamam) + dhaivathangi (For Dhaivatam) + Neethimathi (For Nishadam) and he also adds karnataka devagandhari + madhyamavati for swaras to take it to 9 count in swaras

Saptaswara Sundarula Bhajimpavae Manasa is the pallavi line .

Sapta talam Eka + Roopakam + jhampa+ triputa + ata + dhruva + mata talams

In my enumeration , the main artist has to sing 4 or more of each in raga ,taanam ,neraval and swaras . Saketharaman has sung 4 ragas , 4 taanam and has sung 7 neraval and 9 swaras in addition 7 talas. Kudos to saketharaman and also his wife Dr Vidya for giving so much concept and muse.
This is 4 × 4 × 7 x 9 Rtp and more More importantly no relaying to violinist either part of alapana or taanam or neraval or swaras

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In 2019- Dec season we have the 22nd to start with:

22. Sudha Ragunathan@Mudhra on Dec 14th,2019
• RTP- six Pentatonic ragams - Hamsadhwani. Aabhogi, Madhyamaavaty,Sunaadavinodini. Mohanam, Revati.
• Talam- Mishra Triputa- 2 kalai

The pallavi sahithyam is difficult to explain. It is simply the arohanam avarohanam of all the ragams. One example I am giving below.

Sarii sarigaa sarigapaa sarigapanii sarigapanisaa Hamsadhwani ragam enpadu. Similarly it was sung for all the other ragams

This is a 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 RTP sung for 50 minutes .

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Ramakrishnan Murthy sang the chatur rAgamAlika pallavi (shankarAbharaNam, tODi, kalyANi, darbAr) at BGS a few days back. khanDa tripuTa 2 kalai +1 1/2 eDuppu IIRC)

tmmurali

Post by tmmurali »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Jan 2017, 12:02
By the way there was another 5 raga pallavi that mandolin srinivas played that was suggested . I did not count it as I was not sure if he played neraval and swaras for all those ragas . Also GRS explicitly mentions that he played taanam in only 3. Check this viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20608
A recording of this concert has recently appeared on Prakashrao Narayanan's channel on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAEzeVbLN3A

Listening to it from 1:32:38 onwards, he has played all five ragams in the thanam in reverse order, viz, Tanarupi, Abheri, Vasantha, Bhavapriya, Shankarabharanam, and then fleetingly played them in the original order. He plays all ragams in the pallavi and swarams as well. @rajeshnat, this RTP seems to fit your criteria.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

24.Mandolin srinivas plays pancha ragamalika in Dec 23rd ,2012
Venue : Music Academy
Artists : Mandolin Srinivas- VV SrinivasaRao- Srimushnam RajaRao-Selvaganesh

The ragas are shankarabharanam - bhavapriya - vasantha - abheri -tanarupi
The pallavi line is Tirumalayil karuNaikkadalai irukkinRai , kadaikann paarvai enakku arula
Talam :kanda JAti truputa

The genius indeed plays all 5 ragas , all 5 taanam, all 5 pallavi neraval line and all 5 swaras. I heard it now yes.

Mandolinist is not passing anything to the violinist.This particular concert was reviewed by GRS . He explicitly mentioned that only 3 in taanam was sung . That was factually incorrect. Now it is corrected, thanks to TMMurali

Also in addition to this , Lalitharam has heard 5 ghana pancha ratna raga pallavi of the same Mandolin Srinivas , That also i have added as distinct count. This alone is not validated fully but Lalitharam says he heard all 4 X4 X4 X4.

So far this is 24th distinct 4 x 4 x4 x4 RTP . Incidentally the late genius made it as 5x 5 x5 x5.

The previous post of RKM(#96) singing the famous shankarabharanai azhai todi is not counted as distinct . He joins
Ariyakudi, KVN ,TNS, SGC etc in singing the most famous chathur raga 4 raga RTP .

So our distinct count is at 24, right now with Mandolin Srinivas(shankarabharanam - bhavapriya - vasantha - abheri -tanarupi).

RaghuPS

Post by RaghuPS »

I remember Abhishek Raghuram singing a 4 raga RTP in Toronto. one of the ragams was Rasikapriya. It was several years ago. any office bearers of Bharati Kala Manram or even Mahavishnu perhaps can give more details, my memory is somewhat hazy !

RaghuPS

Post by RaghuPS »

the concert referred to in my post above has been reviewed in Rasikas. May 2012 !

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Raghups
Check my first post #1 point 4. Abhishek raghuram 4 raga pallavi is already counted. There is a chance since Abhishek usually gives taanam to violinist in future his count can be deducted.

As such it has to be 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 in R Taanam N and S. No passing baton to violinist

RaghuPS

Post by RaghuPS »

@ rajeshnat,

oversight, sorry for the bother !

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Jan 2017, 12:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIbVavs1Az8 - he has played a short tanam for Bhavapriya before concluding with Sankarabaranam and all the ragas in sequence again. Elaborate tAnams in tAnarupi, vasanta and abheri.