Post by KNV1955 »

hnbhagvan where do you get such details

KNV

semmu86

Re: Music Academy Dec season schedule 2013-14

Post by semmu86 »

KNV1955 wrote:hnbhagvan where do you get such details
KNV
You get all the details in the website of the MA. The schedule of concerts are listed right from the year 1935.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

You get all the details in the website of the MA. The schedule of concerts are listed right from the year 1935.
Yes, some of us have been endlessly fascinated by these schedules since they appeared on their website about 6 years ago!
Here is an eerily similar discussion to this one from back then! http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3347

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Sri KNV,

As posted,there is a complete list in the web site.THE list starts from 1935.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahavishnu,
That's something. What endlessly interesting details!

I realize:
I've grown that much older, getting into 'the impatient old lady' mode easily /:)
You called me madam :-? ;)
It's still a pleasant surprise, my knowing your connection to dear Minakshi teacher, and of course, your distinguished grandfather, her brother.
We miss Vijay to this day, and a few other illustrious forumites like Dr. Srikaanth :(

Yes! The old schedules are fascinating, for the young and the old alike. They reveal much more than mere dates and the time of performances...
Hail, history!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

As much as I enjoy studying the concert schedules at the Academy from 1935 onward, how I wish they had listed concerts from years prior to that also!

A very selfish reason for this wish! My Father Veena Raja Rao performed there in December 1934.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah, Sreeni! A miss by a mere year.
Then again, we don't need to see your father's name in the Academy programs to know his worth!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

You called me madam :-? ;)
I am losing my manners in my old age. I will just call you Arasi avarE from now :)

Sreeni, I will be in India this december and going through my late grandmother's archives to see if I can dig up the souvenirs from earlier years. I wonder why the Academy has not been able to post this, since their annual scholarly journal is available going back to the first conference.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Arasi avare,
Thanks! My interest is to see which items he might have performed! And, was it a vocal or a vINa concert, because in those days, he used to perform vocal concerts also! I have program listings from about 30+ Radio broadcasts from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, and it is fascinating to study which items he presented.
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 20 Oct 2013, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Mahavishnu,

I envy you! I am sure that will be a fascinating journey into your pATTi's archives! Enjoy and share with us as much as possible!

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Sreeni Rajarao avarige,
What arasi Ji has written is the pristine truth.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The Music Academy schedules are available from 1935-2006.Post 2006 concert schedules have not been updated.A statistical analysis of the concerts in which Sri LGJ,TNK and MSG participated:

LgJ - started in 1948 and performed 43 times up to 2006.
TNk- started in 1943 and performed 52 times up to 2006 and continues.
MSG - started in 1954 and performed 44 times up to 2006

M Chandrasekharan is the highest and performed 58 times up to 2006 and continues to perform.Perhaps he has crossed 60 plus .
The VVV concert of LGJ,NR and Venkataraman was never featured in any year while it was in existence.
LGJ peformed violin duet with Srimathi in 1965 and with GJRK in 1985 ,1989 and in 2003.
MSG performed violin duet with Narmada in 1983,1997,1998
TNK peformed with children in 1966,1983,1988,1996,2001,2002,2004,2006.
No details are available post 2006.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Very interesting, Sri HNBhagavan.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

hnbhagavan wrote:The Music Academy schedules are available from 1935-2006.Post 2006 concert schedules have not been updated.A statistical analysis of the concerts in which Sri LGJ,TNK and MSG participated:

LgJ - started in 1948 and performed 43 times up to 2006.
TNk- started in 1943 and performed 52 times up to 2006 and continues.
MSG - started in 1954 and performed 44 times up to 2006
M Chandra sekharan is the highest and performed 58 times up to 2006 and continues to perform.Perhaps he has crossed 60 plus .
Few more info(Tx bhagavan for your post)

Shri MSG performed in 2007 season where he performed with Dr Narmadha on Jan 1,2008
Prof TNK had a break in 2007 and has performed from 2008 to 2013
Shri MC is performing from 2007 to 2013 without a break

Assuming HNBhagavan's count is right so far
So MSG count is 45
MC touches count of 65 this Dec 2013 season
TNK touches count of 58 this Dec 2013 season.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Is this a first for Amrutha Venkatesh?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear rasikas,

Thank you for the additional info.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The interesting fact is that Sri M Chandrasekharan continues to accompany senior vidwans barring a couple of duet performances,
In case of Mridangam,Sri Umayalapuram continues to accompany young and some senior Vidwans .His count also will be 60 plus.
While I have taken care to count,I do not rule out some mistake.I have double checked on some occasions.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Nick H wrote:Is this a first for Amrutha Venkatesh?
No. She has performed in the 12 Noon slot several times.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

In the book written by Mrs Lakshmi Devnath - An Incurable Romantic - on the life of Sri LGJ,certain points have been brought out.The Music Academy after giving violin duet chance to Sri LGJ and Sri TNK in 1965,they did not include violin in the main stream again till 1983.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

hnbhagavan wrote: #1 The interesting fact is that Sri M Chandrasekharan continues to accompany senior vidwans barring a couple of duet performances,

#2 In the book written by Mrs Lakshmi Devnath - An Incurable Romantic - on the life of Sri LGJ,certain points have been brought out.The Music Academy after giving violin duet chance to Sri LGJ and Sri TNK in 1965,they did not include violin in the main stream again till 1983.
#1 Interestingly Shri MC has yet not given a violin instrument performance either in single or with his disciples , but has only accompanied(Sorry wrong point ,correcting it , he has given one performance in 1986 as per HNBhagavan's below post)

#2 I never knew that on violin. I just see L vaidhyanathan and brothers have performed in 1966 , but from 1967 till 1982 there was no violin instrument concert . Interestingly from 1982 only they made it is a 15 day festival (for many years before it was either 10 or 12 or 13 days festival).
Last edited by rajeshnat on 22 Oct 2013, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sri Rajesh,

M Chandrasekharan has given one violin duet program in music Academy in on 28 Dec 1986 with Bharathi,his daughter.He has given duet performances else where with his daughter several occasions.

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

MC is playing with N Rajam (TNK sister) on 9th Nov 13

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

How does one go about getting tickets for the Music Academy concerts? My sources tell me that we need to go in the early hours of the morning to the Music Academy counter to get the tickets on a daily basis. I could not find any information available on the Music Academy Web Site in regards to this. Thanks in advance for your help!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The tickets at Music Academy is only for the evening concerts and these will be issued in the morning.You need to be at the counter by 05-06 AM on the day of the program.
The morning and noon concerts are free.

sukumar

Post by sukumar »

KNV[/quote]

the artist peddling the Blind Monkey Song.[/quote]

i didnt get understand who is that artist :(( him/her help me :D

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

sukumar wrote:Blind Monkey Song
All I will say is that this to me in the quintessential madrAsi take on the hindi sAi bhajan 'man kI ANkhEn khOlO' (just as the quintessential North Indian take of 'cold water' for the very madrAsi name of 'daNDapANi') - I will let you figure who the artist is!! :-)

pperumal

Post by pperumal »

Sigh!!
Disappointed at such a lovely artist's music of late.
Such heavy music she used to belt out - but alas of late is on some other trajectory :(
I hope this is transient and sure hope she gets back to her self soon.......

ajsriram

Post by ajsriram »

It is news that MA is not interested in giving chances to performers who are working in other organization (Professional in other domain). To be precise MA is keen on giving chances to “MUSIC PROFESSIONALS” only.

I am sure that MA is not 100% sticking to the rules created by them. On seeing the list one can easily find artists who are professional in two different segments other than music.

The reason for omitting TNS Krishna & saketharaman is for this reason only and not for anything else. If this is a RULE, what about people who are working in Government Organization like AIR or DD.

Apart from the list (artists) that was mentioned in the previous posts, MA missed out lot of "PERFORMERS" this year...

-
Carnatic Music Turns Me On

harimau

Post by harimau »

ajsriram wrote:It is news that MA is not interested in giving chances to performers who are working in other organization (Professional in other domain). To be precise MA is keen on giving chances to “MUSIC PROFESSIONALS” only.

I am sure that MA is not 100% sticking to the rules created by them. On seeing the list one can easily find artists who are professional in two different segments other than music.

The reason for omitting TNS Krishna & saketharaman is for this reason only and not for anything else. If this is a RULE, what about people who are working in Government Organization like AIR or DD.
I am sorry that you have jumped to the wrong conclusion about Music Academy not supporting musicians who have a day-time job for whatever reason (perhaps, inability to find a bride on a musician's income being among them :)) ).

Swarna Rethas and Prasanna Venkataraman, to my knowledge, work in the hi-tech industry and have been given slots in the Music Academy.

D B Ashwin does not even live in India but in the US and he has also been featured by Music Academy.

Unless you have inside information, you cannot claim that T N S Krishna and Saketharaman have been excluded only for not being full-time musicians. They may have been moved out to give others a slot.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

pperumal wrote: Sigh!!
Disappointed at such a lovely artist's music of late.
Such heavy music she used to belt out - but alas of late is on some other trajectory :(
I hope this is transient and sure hope she gets back to her self soon.......
I always found great promise in her artistry and I feel she is well on her way to fulfilling the promise. I am intrigued by your observation about the other trajectory and the loss in "heavy music".

Can you be more specific and provide some more detail? I heard her recently at Kartik Fine Arts and it was as heavy as it gets (Chakkani raja main and Sadachaleswaram sub-main). Is singing at Mylapore Fine Arts tomorrow.

harimau

Post by harimau »

sureshvv wrote:
I always found great promise in her (Amrutha Venkatesh's) artistry and I feel she is well on her way to fulfilling the promise. I am intrigued by your observation about the other trajectory and the loss in "heavy music".

Can you be more specific and provide some more detail? I heard her recently at Kartik Fine Arts and it was as heavy as it gets (Chakkani raja main and Sadachaleswaram sub-main). Is singing at Mylapore Fine Arts tomorrow.
Five years ago, she was singing brilliantly.

Then she got side-tracked into what is practically Carnatic Music Lite. Her Music Academy concerts had the original azhuttham but I stopped going to any of her concerts elsewhere.

If she had continued along her original trajectory, she would have been hailed as the next Sowmya and reached the senior slot in Academy by now. That she is at the sub-senior slot only says what she (and we) have lost.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I was hoping for something more tangible and concrete rather than the amorphous azhuttham (or lack there of) complaint and the "Lite" criticism. My gut feel is that her level of sruti fidelity is what some rasikas unfortunately perceive as lack of azhuttam.

We all know that the academy slot doesn't mean diddly squat in terms of capability. Not giving meritorious artistes recognition they deserve is their loss.

I suggest that you take a fresh listen.

harimau

Post by harimau »

sureshvv wrote:I was hoping for something more tangible and concrete rather than the amorphous azhuttham (or lack there of) complaint and the "Lite" criticism. My gut feel is that her level of sruti fidelity is what some rasikas unfortunately perceive as lack of azhuttam.

We all know that the academy slot doesn't mean diddly squat in terms of capability. Not giving meritorious artistes recognition they deserve is their loss.

I suggest that you take a fresh listen.
Kum. Amrutha Venkatesh is a well-qualified vainika. Thus her swarasthana suddham is impeccable. About 8 years back, she restricted her veena concerts to Bangalore but before that she has given veena concerts as well as vocal concerts in Chennai.

If you look at her career and, to name someone at random, K Gayathri's, both started about the same time performing vocal concerts in Chennai. Yet, K Gayathri has passed Amrutha Venkatesh in getting the sub-senior slot as well as the senior slot at the Music Academy. People need to think why that has happened.

Talking to anyone in the music field, the standard comment is, "Amrutha Venkatesh? The one who used to sing so well some 7 years back?"

One could always blame rasikas, sabhas, organizers, etc.

As to taking a fresh listen, I always stop by and listen to her Academy concerts because she doesn't pander to the sheeple there. However, the reputation as someone who has moved to Carnatic Music Lite is tough to shake off.

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

I wanted to chip in and contribute my two cents worth, but SureshVV ji has already said exactly what I had in mind.
I have been observing Kum.Amrutha Venkatesh's career too for some years now and feel the same.
Harimau ji is right in saying that the reputation as someone who has moved to Carnatic music Lite is tough to shake off.
Finally, time will tell what lasts and what drops off along the way.
I have seen generalizations like the following, much of the time.

In Sruthi = Hindusthani flavour

Clear lyrics = Light

Emotional content = Bhajana Sampradaya

Pleasant demeanor = Not serious

One foot in the grave/wheelchair bound = "Senior"

Young/Alive/Well = Upcoming

Dead = Great

Dead for a long time = Immortal

Sruthi and notes all out of place = Sampradayam

and so on.

Thank you Suresh ji for the expression "doesn't mean diddly squat" :)
It conveys the essence of what you want to say, in the most delightful manner.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

harimau wrote: As to taking a fresh listen, I always stop by and listen to her Academy concerts because she doesn't pander to the sheeple there.
Have not seen this "pandering" anywhere. Seems like yet another term for sweetsong(ji)'s dictionary.
However, the reputation as someone who has moved to Carnatic Music Lite is tough to shake off.
You are correct. But you can do your bit by not advancing this prevarication.
Last edited by sureshvv on 12 Dec 2013, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

harimau

Post by harimau »

From the Vidwans & Vidushis section on Amrutha Venkatesh:

"A young vidushi who has learnt from Gurus Sri M.T. Selvanarayana, Smt Charumathi Ramachandran and Prince Rama Varma ."

One could draw conclusions, warranted and unwarranted, on who influenced Amrutha Venkatesh towards Carnatic Music Lite.

I went to Mylapore Fine Arts Club this morning with a bunch of people who have formally learnt music from eminent musicians and who are music teachers themselves to listen to the young lady. At the end of the concert, their opinion is that they could see flashes of the youngster whom they heard and admired 7-8 years ago. Also that the swaraprastharams were terrific and showed tremendous knowledge and artistry but that was not the case with the renderings of the krithis themselves.

I will probably listen to her at the Academy but most likely not at other sabhas during this Season.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I am with Suresh, no point in discussing the past. How about this concert shared by kssr in Amritha's vidhushi thread

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/k5hen22 ... 1.2013.mp3

Sounds sufficiently heavy to my ears.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

harimau wrote: One could draw conclusions, warranted and unwarranted, on who influenced Amrutha Venkatesh towards Carnatic Music Lite.
My unwarranted conclusion is that this is more about a territorial bias rather than application of any real musical criterion.
I went to Mylapore Fine Arts Club this morning with a bunch of people who have formally learnt music from eminent musicians and who are music teachers themselves to listen to the young lady. At the end of the concert, their opinion is that they could see flashes of the youngster whom they heard and admired 7-8 years ago. Also that the swaraprastharams were terrific and showed tremendous knowledge and artistry but that was not the case with the renderings of the krithis themselves.
OK. Arguments from authority :-) My BS antenna goes up and tells me that these observations may have more to do with turf-protection than anything else.

Planning to put up the song list on a thread on its own and we can continue the discussion there on this concert.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

harimau wrote: If she had continued along her original trajectory, she would have been hailed as the next Sowmya and reached the senior slot in Academy by now. That she is at the sub-senior slot only says what she (and we) have lost.
I, for one, am happy that she is choosing her own trajectory. We don't need the next Sowmya, we already have one.

Regarding this "slot" business, I thought that was a matter of concern only of the banal "sheeple".

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Here is a different take by the reviewer in The Hindu:

Ads by Google
V. Balasubramanian

Amrutha Venkatesh rendered each item with involvement. V. Balasubramanian

Despite her firm belief in deep rooted classicism Amrutha Venkatesh is yet to find favour with organisers except a handful. This should not deter her and she should continue with giant strides in the same path. It was a bright start that morning with Karur Devudu Iyer’s Sri Raga varnam and GNB’s ‘Nee Padhamay’ (Nalinakanti).

Boopalam raga alapana was a classic beauty sans any meandering. The vocalist’s confidence was evident in the sketch.Young Rajiv displayed his skill with a delightful reply. ‘Sadachaleswaram’ (Adi-Dikshitar) was like the breeze near a waterfall. Her involved rendition of the Tiruppavai verse, ‘Ambarame’ (Kalyani) not only reminded one of the Tamil month Margazhi, which is just a few days away , but also the hot steaming pongal given as prasadam in temples early morning.

Encapsulating the exuberance she delineated a Kharaharapriya that would remain for long in memory. Rajiv did not lag behind. That she has been influenced by the Saint’s kritis was very much evident in her essay ‘Chakkani Raja’ (Tyagaraja-Adi) was a natural corollary. The niraval and swaras that followed were not mere exercises over the scale but meaningful effort.

It was a field day for Delhi Sairam (mridangam), disciple of Tiruvarur Bhakthavathsalam, and S. Hariharasubramaniam (ghatam), disciple of E.M. Subramaniam, for they both excelled during the kritis phase with their inspired playing, which continued during the thani too. The rendering of Kulasekara Azhwar’s paasuram ‘Chediyaya Valvinaigal’ in Hamsanandi and the kriti, ‘Srinivasa Tiruvenkadamudayan’ transported the rasikas to the abode of the Lord of Seven Hills. M.D. Ramanathan’s beauty of a tillana in Kapi was the concluding piece.

harimau

Post by harimau »

kvchellappa wrote:Here is a different take by the reviewer in The Hindu:

Amrutha Venkatesh rendered each item with involvement. V. Balasubramanian

Despite her firm belief in deep rooted classicism Amrutha Venkatesh is yet to find favour with organisers except a handful. This should not deter her and she should continue with giant strides in the same path. It was a bright start that morning with Karur Devudu Iyer’s Sri Raga .............
Excuse me. Does anyone ask why she is yet to find favour with organisers except a handful?

She was a winner of the Spirit of Youth competition held by the Music Academy. Hence her caliber is known to the Selection Panel of the Music Academy. It has taken her several years more than Nisha Rajagopal (who actually went back to the tech sector job that she had quit earlier), Amrita Murali, and K Gayathri to get out of the junior slot of 12 noon. Why? By the way, all the three artists I mentioned have been promoted to the Senior level.

Worse still, she is not able to perform at Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Narada Gana Sabha, Sri Parthasarathy Swamy Sabha, Sri Thyagabrahma Gana Sabha, Brahma Gana Sabha, etc. These along with the Music Academy and Mylapore Fine Arts Club are the saptharishis whose blessings are needed to advance in one's career.

So here we have her primarily performing for 2nd and 3rd tier sabhas after 8-10 years in the field.

The clueless amongst us will blame it on a regional bias, not knowing that she is a Tamilian girl who is domiciled in Bangalore for less than one generation.

Let me make one prediction: N J Nandini (from Trivandrum and Parassala Ponnammal's disciple) will blow past Amrutha Venkatesh. She already is performing for 3 of the saptharishis during the Season and sang at the Academy as part of the HCL series a month back. Mr Clueless has to tell us why there is no regional bias against N J Nandini.

PS. Writing glorious reviews in rasikas.org will not advance her career by one inch. Two qualified senior musicians who will be judging her concert at the Music Academy will decide her fate.

PPS. I don't believe a judge in previous years at the Music Academy will be a judge this year. That is good for Amrutha because, outspoken woman that she is, she has told Amrutha's mother bluntly that she no longer likes Amrutha's music as it has lost its azhuttham, though I know she will set aside earlier impressions and judge the concert entirely on its merits. Send me a private mail and I will tell you the name of that senior musician. I will also tell you how to verify it through her relative who is a popular member on this site. No BS here; for that you can read the review.

tiruppugazh

Post by tiruppugazh »

It has taken her several years more than Nisha Rajagopal (who actually went back to the tech sector job that she had quit earlier), Amrita Murali, and K Gayathri to get out of the junior slot of 12 noon. Why? By the way, all the three artists I mentioned have been promoted to the Senior level.

Worse still, she is not able to perform at Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Narada Gana Sabha, Sri Parthasarathy Swamy Sabha, Sri Thyagabrahma Gana Sabha, Brahma Gana Sabha, etc. These along with the Music Academy and Mylapore Fine Arts Club are the saptharishis whose blessings are needed to advance in one's career.
I think Amrutha Venkatesh does not enjoy the friendship of a certain Don Vito Sundaram ;)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

harimau wrote: Excuse me. Does anyone ask why she is yet to find favour with organisers except a handful?
Because the organizers are only purveyors of music and have their interests and perspectives.
When is the last time you have seen one of these organizers sit thru' an entire concert?
It has taken her several years more than Nisha Rajagopal (who actually went back to the tech sector job that she had quit earlier), Amrita Murali, and K Gayathri to get out of the junior slot of 12 noon. Why? By the way, all the three artists I mentioned have been promoted to the Senior level.
Sorry.. Am not going to get into the ditch here! Each artiste has their own style and capability.
These along with the Music Academy and Mylapore Fine Arts Club are the saptharishis whose blessings are needed to advance in one's career.
Saptharishis or Seven dwarfs, I am sure they will come around when it is opportune. Like they have done always with several great artistes.
The clueless amongst us will blame it on a regional bias, not knowing that she is a Tamilian girl who is domiciled in Bangalore for less than one generation.
If you would read posts carefully, you would find that the "regional bias" described was not against the artiste.
Mr Clueless has to tell us why there is no regional bias against N J Nandini.
Mr. Clueless would have to tell himself after reading the posts more carefully :-) My gut feel is that unless she moves to Chennai and registers with one of the "families" (stretching tiruppugazh's metaphor), she may suffer the same plight.
PS. Writing glorious reviews in rasikas.org will not advance her career by one inch.
Oh.. I know that all too well. What it does mostly is bring censure and counter arguments from the musically entrenched.
Two qualified senior musicians who will be judging her concert at the Music Academy will decide her fate.
Hmm.. Hope the "seniors" don't use "Sampradaya" as criterion (Scroll up to sweetsong ji's post for the definitions).
Last edited by sureshvv on 14 Dec 2013, 10:31, edited 2 times in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

harimau wrote:
I went to Mylapore Fine Arts Club this morning with a bunch of people who have formally learnt music from eminent musicians and who are music teachers themselves to listen to the young lady.

<snip>

I will probably listen to her at the Academy but most likely not at other sabhas during this Season.
I suggest you get out of the echo chamber and sit by yourself. You might start noticing the music.

gs

Post by gs »

Just so people who like her music do not miss, AV sings in Vani Mahal on 22nd at 4.00 pm. kutcheris.com lists only main slot concerts of TBGS. AV did Satguru Rasanubhava concert for SKGS in the last week of November. Actually, majority of saptharishi voted for her!

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

At the end of the day, I subscribe to the seemingly unique idea (at least among some of the cognoscenti) that music should "sound good and pleasing to the ears" ! Here's a review I wrote of a concert of hers a couple years back:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 752799.ece

I do hope AV gets the success and recognition she deserves. It's hard to be "everything to everybody" and one has to pursue one's heart's ideals. The pursuit of tonal clarity in music is a noble one and any "azhuttham", whatever it means, need not come at the expense of this. Best wishes to AV.