Music Academy Dec season schedule 2013-14

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

KNV1955

Re: Music Academy Dec season schedule 2013-14

Post by KNV1955 »

TM Krishna is not figuring in the list :-o . I thought Aiswerya Vidya Raghunath sang very well last year & deserved more chances. So also Bharathi Ramasubban; Bhavana Iyer; Aswath Narayan & Raghav Krishna (VV Ravi Son) & Padama Sugavanam deserved a break. TNS Krishna & Trichur Brothers & Sangeetha Sivakumar, Saketahraman, Visaka Hari are notable omissions. Highly talented Sruti Sagar & his sister Keerthana should have figured in the list. Some outstation artist have been preferred just to give representation to the state. I have heard all of them. They will not rise above this level. Happy to see Savita Narasimhan singing. Some feedback on Majusha Patil.

KNV

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

KNV sir - respectfully - I don't think you can blame *outstation artist just to give representation* In fact, we need good artists whether in-station or out-station. Actually, out-station artists are at an disadvantage in general due to lack of exposure.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

What is the current lobbying process to get a slot at MA?

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Rsachi wrote:What is the current lobbying process to get a slot at MA?
million dollar question :)

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

gardabha_gana Super reply

KNV

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Mahavishnu thanx for the link.
I presume the present SK designate will share platform with other SKs in the morning session from 2014 onwards.
Thanjavooran
14 010 2013

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

In the seniors slot Women (main artistes) outnumber Men by 2 to 1

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

gardabha_gana ... I am not against any outstation artist. I believe merit alone should be the criteria for selection of artists in Music Academy. I don't subscribe to the idea of in proportional representation;inclusiveness;gender equality; ( all modern thoughts) ;) in fields like Sports,Arts & higher education. But the selection process is a difficult one. Like Indian Cricket team. But I thought MA should give repeat chances for talented ones like Sruti Sagar & develop; He is as good as Shashank.Visaka Hari omission is a surprise to me. She is a crowd puller & does a good job of Sangeetha Upanyasam. That is the way the institution has been functioning.

KNV

arasi

Post by arasi »

KNV,
Yes, you were thinking of the performers' merits rather than of where they came from. You wondered if MA was going by 'let's give more chances to artistes from other regions'. A good idea but ideally, by giving slots to the more deserving ones who long to sing at the academy, which makes other organizers notice them.

Another problem here is, we have far too many young promising musicians now and just those limited amounts of slots which aren't enough to include more.

Yes, wondered why TMK isn't in the list. Not even in the morning slot which he chose to sing in before. Perhaps he didn't want to sing this year, and that's why. How many concerts is he going to sing this season? We have to wait for other lists.

His student Ritvik Raja is there in the list. G.Ravikiran isn't.

The morning concerts are for seniors and more. Very happy to see that Sangeetha Acharya Neela Ramgopal is singing this year. Wonder if the SK designate has heard her in live performance. Hope she listens to her this year...

harimau

Post by harimau »

arasi wrote:Very happy to see that Sangeetha Acharya Neela Ramgopal is singing this year. Wonder if the SK designate has heard her in live performance. Hope she listens to her this year...
From 8am to 10am, the SK-designate will be in the mini-hall presiding over the academic sessions.

After that, and after greeting all those who wish to congratulate her, she is expected to come to the main hall.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

TMK programmes;

http://www.tmkrishna.com/themusic.html

Dec
3rd Jaya TV
7th Srutilaya Seva Trust
10th Vani Mahal
13th MFA
15th Mudra
20th KGS
21st Bharat Kalachar
25th NGS
27th KFA
29th Kalarasana
One possibility is MA did not agree for free concert.

harimau

Post by harimau »

KNV1955 wrote:
gardabha_gana ... I am not against any outstation artist. I believe merit alone should be the criteria for selection of artists in Music Academy. I don't subscribe to the idea of in proportional representation;inclusiveness;gender equality; ( all modern thoughts) ;) in fields like Sports,Arts & higher education. But the selection process is a difficult one. Like Indian Cricket team. But I thought MA should give repeat chances for talented ones like Sruti Sagar & develop; He is as good as Shashank.Visaka Hari omission is a surprise to me. She is a crowd puller & does a good job of Sangeetha Upanyasam. That is the way the institution has been functioning.

KNV
People will find this hard to digest but Sangeetha Upanyasam is less of sangeetham and less of upanyasam. Somehow, the sum is viewed as being greater than the whole which it is not. One comment made to me by a vidwan is that the madisar shows a bit more leg and that is the attraction.

As to crowd-pullers, we have got the Proprietress of Ye Honourable Olde & Originale Abhangerie, the Duelling Abhangists, and even the artist peddling the Blind Monkey Song.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Rsachi wrote:What is the current lobbying process to get a slot at MA?
For repeat performers, it is based on anonymous judging by competent musicians. Two different judges evaluate each concert and the grades and comments are analyzed to determine whether someone should be called back again. The same two judges evaluate all concerts in a given timeslot. Different panels evaluate different timeslots; otherwise there will be sensory overload! Even then, there has to be a rotation among artists otherwise we will get the same-old same-old just as we get in the prime evening slots.

For newcomers, aspirants send in resumes, gurus recommend their sishyas, etc.

With limited slots available, people can complain about bias against non-Chennai based artists, give voice to conspiracy theories, etc. But the selection panel has a tough job and they try to do an honest job no matter what we all think.

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Unwanted remarks. Visaka Hari's stage presence & presentation & singing are very dignified. Not a second is wasted. I have not seen her even sipping a glass of water. Totally involved. Rasikas like it for the content & singing.Problem is with "Kodura Parvai" (wrong perception) of the VIDWAN.

harimau

Post by harimau »

KNV1955 wrote: Problem is with "Kodura Parvai" (wrong perception) of the VIDWAN.
More like vakra buddhi but it takes all sorts to make this world.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I second KNV's assessment of the lady harikatha exponent. She is good at what she tries to do and has a unique style.
I second Harimau's assessment that there can never be a perfect programming solution and we should trust MA to do the best realistically. Of course the final schedule may have some misses.

pperumal

Post by pperumal »

arasi wrote:KNV,

His student Ritvik Raja is there in the list. G.Ravikiran isn't.
Having heard both of them - my personal opinion is that Sri Ravikiran certainly deserves to be in the list. The former sounds like a very poor imitation of the guru unfortunately - I hope he overcomes it and grows - for his own good. My best wishes.

But I am not aware of the selection criteria.

Aishwarya Vidya Raghunath sang brilliantly last time and her name is a big miss - maybe because the SK's daughter needed to be fitted in???

Some promotions are welcome - Ramakrishna Murthi and Sandeep - both are good musicians and draw good crowds too.

Warm Regards,
Padmanabha Perumal.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

harimau wrote:More like vakra buddhi but it takes all sorts to make this world.
yeah, there are always such people out there. I wish you did not propagate such garbage. I was indeed enjoying and laughing out loud your trademark barb just before that "People will find this hard to digest but Sangeetha Upanyasam is less of sangeetham and less of upanyasam."

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Rasikas,

Some Plusses in the list:

Srivalson J Menon

Sumitra Vasudev

neela Ramagopal

shyamkalyan74

Post by shyamkalyan74 »

Aishwarya Vidya Raghunath sang brilliantly last time and her name is a big miss - maybe because the SK's daughter needed to be fitted in

This s.malavika is vijay tv airtel super singer fame one,not sk's daughter.Surya prakash got promoted to evening slot which he desrves rightly.
Wondering how v.shankarnarayanan got a chance this year inspite of his below average performance last year?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Posting the madisar observation in this forum could certainly have been avoided.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I'm wondering more about the vidvAn who made such a comment :(

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Is the morning Lec-Dem schedule also out or am I the one unable to find it

sappri

Post by sappri »

Yes Arasi - it is indeed wonderful that Neela Mami is singing on the 19th at Music Academy - can't wait to hear the concert - yesterday was truly *blessed* to hear a beyoooootiful kedaragowla from mami - truly out of the world it was.....

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Rasikas,

Certain remarks are not befitting this forum. Characterising a vidwan's concert as below average means the person who is criticizing must have been an above average performer.Even if we assume that he is above average,it is better to keep them as personal opinion and not post in this forum.
Even very well established artists have their bad days.

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Posting.........have been avoided. Ask the person to remove the post :-Q X(

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

My sincere hope all the morning performers in the list remain fit with no throat problem so that they can give their best. Neela Ramgopal is a very imaginative singer. I am looking forward to her concert & Seshagopalan (with MC & Narendran) & Santhanagopalan & Srikantan with Sivaraman & Vedavalli & TNK. On their day even with advancing age they can give stunning concerts.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear KNV,

Thank you for your views.You acknowledge and encourage all the performers in spite of the unique position enjoyed by your father Sri KVN who attracted me to Carnatic music.I listened to him live for the first time at Bangalore Gayana Samaja in 1978 in the company of Lalgudi sir and Sri Palghat Raghu.There after I never missed his concerts wherever it was held at Bangalore,

shyamkalyan74

Post by shyamkalyan74 »

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20663

Please go through the above link.This link was live review of v.shankarnarayanan's last year MA concert.
Please review the comment from our members like v. v.suresh etc which says clearly the concert was mediocre.

I felt it was mediocre all the way through. Just left me with the feeling that the performers were not yet ready for prime time!

Andolika RTP would be my pick of the concert. It was crammed in and lasted about 15 minutes.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shyamkalyan74 wrote:http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20663

Please go through the above link.This link was live review of v.shankarnarayanan's last year MA concert.
Please review the comment from our members like v. v.suresh etc
You shouldn't really judge based on one subjective review. May be I was having a bad day. It certainly seems like it when I re-read the review :-)

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

One talented youngster I missed out is Aishwerya Shankar. Pl do attend if she sings during season. Has ganam & weighty singing.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sureshvv,
From the horse's mouth! I am glad you chimed in.
I read through your frame-to-frame review and got the feeling that you were pleased with parts of the concert. The lighting was distracting to both those on the stage and to the audience, to add to your not so good a day!

I heard V Shankaranarayanan in the Cleveland concerts streaming and thought he gets better every time I hear him.

I know, we are all getting excited about the season, but do not want to fall in line with judges of contests in over-analyzing or criticizing performers--comment on them before we hear them this year. Understood, the judges of contests are not only competent, but are required to be that way (there too, someone like NSG, who also does it thoroughly but without making the kids nervous).

KNV,
Haven't heard Aishwarya Shankar. Will try to catch a concert of hers.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

semmu86 wrote:Is the morning Lec-Dem schedule also out or am I the one unable to find it
Semmu, I don't think it is out yet. I am looking forward to attending these as well.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Few Comparisons in 2012-13 vs 2013-14 slots:
--------------------------------------------
1. We have violin concert of Lalgudi siblings who replace Mysore Brothers. There is always a rotation of violin artists. Additionally Last year , A Kanyakumari paired with Kadri gopalnath now she is pairing with Embar Kannan.

2. With respect to veena , last year there is revathy srinivasan , this year it is emani kalyani lakshmi nArAyana. Veena generally also has one slot.

3. Few musicians like Gayathri girish, viji subra, hyderabad brothers ,TNS krishna,saketharaman and prema rangarajan are making way for savita narasimhan,lakshmi rangarajan, mambalam sisters and sreevalsan menon . Incidentally all four savita narasimhan ,lakshmi rangarajan , mambalam sisters and sreevalsan menon have performed in the last few years in the evening slots .

4. We have Suryaprakash ,K gayathri both promoted for the first time this year. Best wishes to both.

5. I used to always think that other state quota is boxed to 1 . I was thinking sreevalsan menon had to give his slot to shertalai ranganatha sharma in the last few years . Nice to see both of them performing in the same year and it is indeed a very good move by music academy officials to not box with state quota. If you recollect last year I made a post that Sreevalsan had zero concerts at chennai,this year he has great one to start with. A stellar move in moving towards the direction of meritocracy irrespective of where he/she belongs.

5. VisakA hari is making way for Udaiyalur kalyanaraman . I guess kathakalekshapam, sangeetha upanyasam and namasankeerthanam are all nearly the same.(Attn KNV)

6. Interestingly on Dec 26th Morning , I see Shri RK Shrikantan performing . His age is nearly 93 to 94 , that is surely a miracle.

7. I am going with Kittappa's post of his remark of why TMK is not performing in academy . Last year TMK performed post Sadas.

8. In the afternoon slots , i see few musicians like pattabhirama pandit, ramakrishnamoorthy , amrutha venkatesh are performing for the first time in afternoon slot - all three are deserving. There are few more names , many of them are great artists and few are new to me.

Best wishes to all artists. Liked this year selection, definitely a nice job by Music Academy panelists.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 16 Oct 2013, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

Meera

Post by Meera »

The list is o.k in a way.But a few observations.

1.IMHO Bharat Sundar & Sriranjani NSG should have been promoted.

2.MahArajapuram rAmachnadran should have been included.Even Ganesh V doesn't feature in the junior slot.What reasons MA has for this wishful negligence !That family has given 2 SKs.

crntctt

Post by crntctt »

The noon slot seems to have some new entries. In a way I think it's a good practice to give opportunities to newcomers since there are numerous talented youngsters and many of them need exposure. Omitting some juniors like aishwarya vidhya etc one year to give way to possible newcomers is Ok in my opinion, as they have enough exposure and opportunities. Else, many newcomers with poor PR won't be able to get opportunities and subsequently wont grow.

Also, it did surprise me to see rithvik raja back this year.

Ramakrishnan murthy truly deserves the sub senior category. Looking forward to hearing neela ji, rks, etc.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Very nice to see Rama Ravi, Neela Ramgopal in the morning slots. Music academy should consider webcasting the morning slots for those of us not in madras. Also, nice to see Charulatha Ramanujam, Nalina Mohan accompany in the evening concerts. Manda Sudharani is performing - nice to see that!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

The artists may deserve, but not on the basis that there were 2 SKs from that family.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Yes, not seeing Gayatri Girish and Viji Subramaniam's names in the list was disappointing. Several surprises in the evening slot with younger women performers.

Finally, Surya makes the grade ;)

The 'state' consideration needs to be a small part of the selection, and I see it has worked this year. Looks as though they took time to make it a fairly mixed list, to include many.

Panthula Rama is not accompanied by her husband on the violin :( I like to listen to their music together (an ideal blend). Good to see forumite Balaji on the mridangam, though! His playing will suit her very well is my guess.

A new name for me in the upa-pakka vAdyam: Tirukkannapuram Sowrirajan.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

I think beyond the selection committee, quality/rating of performance etc paisa vasool is an important factor in the schedule; that too for evening slots. Sabha canteens are planning for each day evening menu :-) The popular, crowd puller artists will always be featured @ MA and all sabhas . Most popular artists perform 20+ concerts in December season sort of IPL, Champions Trophy cricket overload. The borderline players (Ajinkya Rahane, Manoj Tiwari , ...) and out-of-state artists are the problem.

Not sure if an artist like MD Ramanathan would get an evening slot in the current scheme of things. For the MDR concert @ MA, I do remember the ground floor had 150+ people. Same for TM Thyagarajan.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

arasi wrote:Finally, Surya makes the grade ;)
Yes, I am happy to see that as well.
So, we have 2 of our ( reasonably active ) members who have evening slots at the Academy. That is something indeed.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Music Academy has done well given the number of artists available.Seniors have been respected.TNK,RKSrikantan,TVS,Vedavalli
TNS are given each year which is good.All the good violin players have been included.Mysore Nagaraj is in the accompaniment category,So is Narmada.
Umayalapuram Sivaraman,M Chandrasekharan peform every year.Incidentally MC used to attend the morning concerts each day last year.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Three Mysore violinists, for that matter. Nagaraj for TVS, Manju for Ravikiran and Srikanth for Abhishek.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

madam Arasi's observation about the 3 violinists figuring is correct.Last year Rudrapatnam Bros and Hyderabad bros were featured.
Generally Sanjay,Malladi brothers ,Tm Krishna,RaGa sisters,Bombay Jayashree find place in all major festivals and MA is no exception.
However this year TMk is not on the list and i cannot figure out the reason.Last year he had announced that all his concerts are free.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

arasi wrote:Three Mysore violinists, for that matter. Nagaraj for TVS, Manju for Ravikiran and Srikanth for Abhishek.
HN Bhaskar is a Mysuru man also!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah, didn't know that! Gothirililla, swAmi (mahavishnu) :)

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Vittal Ramamurthy is also from Karnataka!

arasi

Post by arasi »

And H.K. Venkatram, a forumite too, and R.K.S (his grandfather settled in Chennai, I think).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Just looked at the list again to see few more points:
-------------------------------------------------------------
1. Generally there is quite a bit of rotation of accompanists some times creating a rare combination . I see for sanjay - Tanjore murugabhoopathy is playing and for abhishek- tiruvarur bhaktavatsalam is playing this year. One of the finest mrudangam players in today's era is neyveli venkatesh is not having any opportunity- that is kind of strange that venkatesh is not playing this year at academy.

2. Trichur brothers are not performing .They were singing in morning slot last year. I am assuming next year they will jump to an afternoon slot - some times there is a break for an artist and next year will turn out very well. Trichur brothers are fabulous

3. Meera - You have raised a good point on the exclusion of maharajapuram ramachandran. IIRC last time he sang in Dec 2010 morning slot.It is generally difficult to spot maharajapuram ramachandran even during other months atleast in chennai. A fabulous musician