Carnatic Matrimonial Music

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

USippOna pazhamuNDAl uDal keduM, keDum uLamE
vASi ninaivozhithalAl

ஊசிப்போன பழமுண்டால் உடல் கெடும், கெடும் உளமே
வாசி நினைவொழிதலால்
(By eating spoiled fruit body health is destroyed, (while) by forgetting Lord Siva the mind is destroyed)

Note 'vASi' (the reverse of Siva) is the secret bIja of pancAkShara!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Can be sung as a viruttam in siva ranjani.
I say it merely because it doesn't hurt to bring in a rAgA name--any rAgA name--before fingers are pointed at us for turning it into a literary forum, though doggerels abound :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

LOL!
'nidhi chAla sukhamA?' vs 'kanyAm kanaka sampannAm'....MMMMMM.....The father of the bride is giving away a precious, priceless gem...so, he is impoverished in just one fell swoop, and not by the minute!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Giving dowry as well as the priceless gem of a daughter at one stroke is called Double Jeopardy.

It can be sent as a topic to Alex Trebek for his show!
Last edited by mahakavi on 02 Mar 2007, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi
wish fulfilled
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nnu9c8
I visualized standing at chitsabhai !
(Can be sung by the bridegroom after the wedding (while ready to quit the grihastAshrama :)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Good one CML ! :lol:

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

:)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Voice in great shape, CML! Read somwhere--a particular variety of banana (vAzhaip pazham :)) is great for the condition of your throat. Surely, it is not available in Canada!

meena

Post by meena »

CML! Read somwhere--a particular variety of banana (vAzhaip pazham smile) is great for the condition of your throat.
arasi
i have heard the opp. that vocalist avoid eating banana- catch a cold.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Meena,
I had heard the same all these years, and was surprised to read this recently--can't remember where exactly. It was a tamizh article on health, probably. One particular variety of banana was cited.
Any way, whatever its effect on the throat, any kind of banana a day keeps fatigue away...:)

prashant

Post by prashant »

I am in agreement with Bharath [that the music and function together is too much to handle], and pretty much followed arasi's pattern. Two concerts for my wedding [Malladi Brothers and Smt. Vedavalli]. One was organized before the 'mapillai azhaippu' and one was organized the evening of the wedding. Both were conducted in a serene atmosphere especially Smt. Vedavalli's.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

arasi, nice narration. however, it isnt always possible. it needs a lot of laundrying of the society to get such efforts work the way we want.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

When I first scanned the title of this thread and saw the word "matrimonial", I though someone was posting a matrimonial ad on rasikas.org
Now that's an idea...CM matrimonials...I'm sure several single music lovers would endorse it!

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

CML,
'vasi' indicates the awareness and control of breath which is capable of kindling 'sushma nadi'

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

chalanata wrote:CML,
'vasi' indicates the awareness and control of breath which is capable of kindling 'sushma nadi'
Yes thanks for reminding. KBS sings somewhere
'vASiyAlE mUlakkanal vISiyE SuDar viDa...'

Guys

This story sparked by Jayaram I must share. A very nice 'traditional' boy (whose family I knew) was pestering me ti find a match for him; his only condition was that the girl should be a very good CM singer. I knew this girl (?spinster) who was trained in CM and was also a concert performer. The only problem was that she was a 'kunjari' (of humungus proportions!). Not withstanding I arranged for a blind date hoping that the boy will not mind (since both the families were quite reputable). Surprise! After the meet the girl said she could not marry a 'mountain of flesh' (which indeed he was :) at any cost. The story has a happy ending. Both are now happily married and have kids who are quite normal :)
The Lady now sings only for T festivals (pity the old man :) (oh! PBUH :)

shrinik

Re:

Post by shrinik »

cmlover wrote: 02 Mar 2007, 21:14

Guys

This story sparked by Jayaram I must share. A very nice 'traditional' boy (whose family I knew) was pestering me ti find a match for him; his only condition was that the girl should be a very good CM singer. I knew this girl (?spinster) who was trained in CM and was also a concert performer. The only problem was that she was a 'kunjari' (of humungus proportions!). Not withstanding I arranged for a blind date hoping that the boy will not mind (since both the families were quite reputable). Surprise! After the meet the girl said she could not marry a 'mountain of flesh' (which indeed he was :) at any cost. The story has a happy ending. Both are now happily married and have kids who are quite normal :)
cmlover wrote: 02 Mar 2007, 21:14

Guys

rshankar wrote: 28 Feb 2007, 20:56 I am not clear what the actual ceremonies are in the wedding you are planning, but here are some suggestions based on my experience with some tamizh weddings:
As the bride is led to the pandal the previous evening: vAdirAja's lakshmI shObhAne...(first verse of vAraNam Ayiram will also be appropriate)
As the groom enters the pandal AnDAL's 'nALai vadhuvai maNam enru' verse...
As the wedding garlands are offered to the bride and groom in the pandal - AnDAL's verse 'indiran uLLiTTa dEvar kuzham ellAm' verse...
As the wedding invitation is read - villai muRitiDum vallavanukku yenru vAkkiTTu

The day of the wedding, the bride has a ceremonial bath - start with verse from nAcciyAr tirumozhi - the verse - nAldiSai tIrthangaL followed by AnnamAcAryA's kshIrAbdhi kanyakaku nIrAjanam
As the bride enters the hall on the day of the wedding - AK's kANavEDum laskham kaNNgaL
The Unjal ceremony has it's own songs, including kaNNUnjal ADi irundAL, kAnchanamAlai manam maghizhndAL
As the bride and groom come back after the Unjal ceremony - PD's kshIrAbdi kannikE
During the saptapadi - AnDAL's 'vAi nallAr nal marai Odi mandirattAl'
Immediately after the saptapadi/mAgalyadhAraNam - Lalgudi Jayaraman's Sankaran umaiyin kaitalam paRRinAr iruvarum mAlaigaL mARRi magizhdanar .....
ammi midikkiradu - AnDAL's immaikkum EzhEzhu piravikkum verse
pori iDudal - AnDAL's nAcciyAr tirumozhi verse - variSilai vAL mugattu

nalangu has it's own set of songs including nalangiDugirAL mInalOcanI (mInAkSi nalangu)

Request someone to post the lyrics or audio link for sankaran umaiyin by lalgudi jayaram as mentioned in the post.Thanks

arasi

Re: Carnatic Matrimonial Music

Post by arasi »

srinik,
Do you realize that you have taken us old timers a long way back (ten years, to be exact)? We still miss old friends here on the forum :(
We try to keep in touch all the same...