TM Krishna's New book..

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
melam72

Re: TM Krishna's New book..

Post by melam72 »

shankarank wrote: 09 Aug 2017, 22:35 The prior generation (MLV, G.S Mani) and Ravi Kiran, even if they held some opinions , their stage performance reflected the full truth! The YACM male front runners have single handedly caused this confusion! They are a bad debt write off!
The YACM male front runners - Unnikrishnan, Sriram Parthasarathy - that you refer to, are uncompromising in their delivery of classical music.

They do not pander to the audience. In fact, Unnikrishnan in his earlier days sounded SO much like S Ramanathan - especially when rendering krithis like Varalandu (Gurjari).

Film music was to supplement, not do detract from their Carnatic music journeys.

Even Embar Kannan plays so much violin - for things like Christian gospel music!!! Yet, his carnatic music is uncompromising, and often is better than the main artistes themselves! Case in point- I can only listen to Sudha and Bombay Jayashree when Embar Kannan plays for them and helps them make the concert a success!!!

Yet, today, this seems to be changing. People like Cuddalore Jananiy (who can't even spell her name), Mahati, and Mahanadhi Shobana Vignesh, sing Carnatic music mediocrely, and focus on their film careers. As a result, they all sound like rats trapped between doors, unable to sing full throatedly without resorting to falsetto.

Hence, I compose this viruttham. I expect that it will be added to Lakshman sir's krithi database, and the above Rodent Triad will sing this before their concerts :twisted: .

Aandavaa! Ennai Rakshikka Vaa!
Thirai Paattilirunthu ennai kaapaatra vaa!
Iraivaa!
En vaayai thiranthu paada uthava vaa!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

My list of front runners from YACM is restricted to the most acclaimed artistes : Sanjay, TMK, Unni and Vijay Siva.

Is Sriram even singing these days that much? Observed some voice issues! Him and Ashok Ramani even as the latter was losing his voice retained some awareness of the old styles.

That you would bring in Mahati and Mahanadhi is telling - a desperate act to defend the indefensible! An insult to the YACM gang of four (GOF) in fact. The former are singing to people who would never at this time venture into listening to a traditional CM concert. You should not even attempt to review them.

Also the other female artistes you cited, did things honorably within their limitations and strengths.

I was more respectful to the YACM-GOF - judging them against a higher standard! Again it is not about how they produced melody like the yester years - this is something more subtle.

And this is not about the filmy back ground of the artistes. KJY - from whom Unni took voice advice ( remember a Vikatan or some interview) for all his melodic limitations ( in terms of what a CM listener would look for) had a good expression of layam reminiscent of his era of music.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I am opening every new post in this thread with the eagerness of a child opening his Christmas present. I am so eager to know more about TMK's NEW BOOK. What ia the title, what does it say, what new controversies and discussions will it stir? Can someone making the next post tell me? Is it on Amazon?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sachi,
This ain't no new book. It is Southern Music which you have read.

Dear (departed) Venkatakailasam started this thread in 2013 and it was revived very recently after several years.

The word 'new' in the title doesn't help when the thread is revived after ages :(

So, no christmas presents I'm afraid, unless TMK does plan to bring out a new book by the year end
:)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It is like Brave New World!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

arasi wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 03:32 This ain't no new book.
So, no christmas presents I'm afraid!!
And the same old Pallavi will be sung ( shouted) after rushing to the well of rasikas to adjourn every possible thread , until the burning issue afflicting the music is resolved! Like our Parliament! ;) :twisted:

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

There was once a huge rodent menace problem in America. Trump spared no effort to rid the great nation of these unwanted aliens. A global contest was held to select the best rodent destroyer device.

The winning entry was from a Sardarji. He grandly presented to Trump and the Homeland Security jury his device. It was an unimpressive metal scale with a sharp/shining edge, balanced on a wedge. At each end was a small platter. He placed a piece of cheese (a bit like the writings of a famous articulate musician) at both ends. The large American rodent was released, came rushing, stood at the edge, saw two equally attractive items at either end. As he looked hither and thither, unable to decide between cheese and cheese, which one to go for, poor rodent was rubbing his neck on the edge, and was decapitated. Such a simple device, and rodents committing harakiri! First Prize to Sardar.

Next year, unfortunately, the rodent problem recurred. Same contest. Same Sardarji. As he set up his device, it seemed exactly the same as the previous contraption. Knife edge. Platters. So Trump asks, "Sardarji, so what's new!?"
Sardarji says, "Mr. POTUS, wait and see. Let the rodent come!" When the nasty beast comes, rushes to the knife edge, he turns left and right frantically, "No Cheese, No Cheese", several times like a rasika anticipating a new thriller book. And he is decapitated.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sachi_R wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 09:51 Yes, I have the app 😀
We are all rats heading to a knife in the horizon!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/09/opin ... imate.html

Just returned from Mt. Hood , Oregon after enjoying dipping my foot into a rivulet flowing out of a partially snow clad peak. Smelt the smoke there from another fire.

if fires are that easy in one of the wettest areas - bad news. We will lose Gangotri first I am told. So use your App soon to enjoy as much!

TMK criticizes diversion of funds to address climate change - but refuses to recognize sustainable solutions within culture , like not exporting Beef to start with!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shankarank wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 18:47
We are all rats heading to a knife

Just returned from Mt. Hood , Oregon

<snip>

TMK criticizes diversion of funds to address climate change - but refuses to recognize sustainable solutions within culture , like not exporting Beef to start with!
Unless you walked to Mt. Hood, your criticism of TMK & beef export rings pretty hollow.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Yeah usual hypocriticism. Lets uninstall the App!.

The agricultural expansion did warm the earth and helped Monsoons to come up North. It will be futile to blame Agriculture now!! You will have to get off reductionism and localized logic and get some Systemic thinking.

Marxists are stuck in Cartesian thinking and think programming centrally and disbursing funds and appointing bureaucrats will solve problems!

Even then Noam Chomsky had some sense when talking about owning a car - that his not owning a car is not going to solve a thing!

We did take Mass Transit to the downtown Portland! But then my wife was little shaken to see a homeless man blowing Mucus into the platform! You see living across life-styles even for a moment has it's own issues. It may be good for a photo-op.

Marxists need to realize that!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/ ... tm-krishna

I see him reasonable here. There is no need to do a performance - nor make people accompany. But it is not enough to NOT call them accompanists or seat them non-hierarchically.

We give so much importance to Sruti , but not acknowledge the wealth of aesthetics in layam that all performers do sAdhakam on. Ironically when they were called accompanists they brought more to the table than now.

From the MVI thread in V&V forum:
SrinathK wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 23:55 Those brighas !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agTt4mmXgZQ&t=577s
We don't notice the forceful atIta expressions during the pallavi rendition. When R&G duo sang @ Siva Vishnu temple in Cleveland ( about 2002/2003 so so) as part of the Aradhana, Gayathri tried the same thing , but Ranjani discouraged her immediately. A stereo type of Gender variety? was imposed live on stage. When a female artiste naturally liked to create that, she was stopped. So a lineage from MVI times has come to this pass!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/ ... tm-krishna
There is a general notion that anything classical is esoteric, timeless and spiritual. When I sit in a classical music class, my teacher is transferring all this baggage to me.
He is now speaking to journalists with their own baggage and he is able to do that because of the new baggage!! For until he replaced the baggage , no journalist cared.