Patnam Subramanya Iyer Krithis

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Meenalochani

Patnam Subramanya Iyer Krithis

Post by Meenalochani »

Dear Members,

I am a great admirer of Patnam Subramanya Iyer compositions. He is a brilliant composer but I also feel that he has not been given much exposure. I would like to hear somewhere being celebrated "Patnam Subramanya Iyer Day'' like other composers like Tyagaraja, Dikshitar etc. Also I am looking for a good book containing Patnam Subramanya Iyer's krithis with lyrics and notations. Can someone recommend me some books and where I can buy them?

Thank you.

Lakshman

Re: Patnam Subramanya Iyer Krithis

Post by Lakshman »

I am not sure if these two books are still available in the Karnatic Music Book Centre, Raoyapettah, Chennai 600 014.

Patnam Subramania Iyer’s apurva sahityangal by Vinai A.Subramaniam - Tamil Nadu Sangita Natak Academy, 1963
Rare compositions of Patnam Subramania Iyer et.al.- Music Academy, Chennai.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Lakshmanji,

Can you give us the song lists from these two books please?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

In the Vinai A.Vaidyalingam's book:
jalajAkSi (tv)-hamsadhvani-Adi, calamEla (tv)-kIravANi-Adi,
everEmi (tv)-shahAnA-aTa, Emi sEtunE (tv)-bhasiravi-aTa,
sAmini (tv)-nATakuranji-aTa, ikanElanE (tv)-pUrNacandrikA-aTa,
sAmi ninnE (tv)-aThANA-aTa, nIvE gatiyani-pUrNacandrikA-Adi,
nAyeDa-bEgaDa-cApu, evarunnAru-simhavAhini-Adi,
veruvanEla-shuddhabangALA-rUpaka, maracEdi-hamsadhvani,
endukiTu saphlamu-mandAri-cApu, shrIkara raghuvIra-sarasvati-rUpaka,
panca nadIsha-pUrNacandrikA-rUpaka, harahara smaravara-mangaLakaishiki-Adi,
bhajarE mAnasa-suguNabhUSaNI-rUpaka, pancApakEshvarENa-rAmapriyA-Adi,
pAlaya shrI-shankarAbharaNa-Adi, kanukoNTini (j)-dEshyatODi-Adi,
In the Music Academy publication:
sAmi idivELa (tv)-kannaDa-Adi, tAmasincaka (tv)-asAvEri-Adi,
ninnEkOri (tv)-Ahiri-aTa, nIvaNTi daivamu (tv)-nIlAmbari-aTa,
maraciTluNDEdi (tv)-bEgaDa-aTa, dAri teliyaka (tv)-darbAr-aTa,
nenarulEni (tv)-balahamsa-aTa, parabrahmamu-kApinArAyaNi-Adi,
nannu brOva-bhairava-rUpaka, iTivAru lETiki-rAmapriyA-Adi,
A samayamuna-sArangA-Adi, nAdhrudhIm (t)-sindhubhairavi-dEshAdi,
palukuTacE-phalamanjari-rUpaka, naravara raghunandana-maNirangu-rUpaka

eesha

Post by eesha »

you may want to listen to this Patnam lecture concert series organised by Gaanapriya and delivered by Sri Embar Kasturi

http://www.gaanapriya.in/sahithyapriya/patnam-series/

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Lakshman Sir,
Thank you very much for posting a listing of Patnam's krithis. There seem to be some krithis in the listing that I have not heard. Are there any renditions of some of there rare krithis available?

Eesha sir,
Thank you very much for the posted Gaanapriya link.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Thanks, Lakshmanji.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Some time ago Vidwan Bangalore S Shankar was conducting a series of lec-dems on PSI's compositions. I attended one and wrote about it on this forum too. It included ErA nApai and the main was nija dAsa varada in kalyANi, and a submain bhairavi was there. http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16102

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

srikant,

S.Shankar has also taught and performed the mukhAri kRti of PSI - epuDu kRpa galgunO, on Bangalore AIR. His is a 2 kalai pATham, while I hear that there is a 1 kalai Kancipuram version from the dhanakOTi gharana. He also sings the not-particularly-uncommon sarasangi and vacaspati compositions of PSI.

Vasudevacarya has mentioned his (own) fascination for this kRti, and how PUci SrinivAsa Ayyangar sang it on his request, even while taking an oil bath. While singing in the shower is tricky enough, Srinivasa Iyengar must have been really talented to sing this big kRti without ending up with seekakai and water in his mouth!

MeenalOcani, I'm quite sure there is no single publication listing all the available compositions of Patnam Subrahmanya Iyer. T.K.Govinda Rao had mentioned during his Trinity and Swathi-publication-phase that it would be his next project, but it didn't happen. A.S. Pancapagesa Iyer's publications are possibly the largest (if incomplete) compilations available. Incidentally, S.Shankar had mentioned to me that he plans to publish all available compositions of Patnam Subrahmanya Iyer in Kannada.

You may have noted, Sanjay Subrahmanyan has been steadily singing several of Patnam's uncommon ATa tala varnams of late - Balahamsa, Sahana and Darbar come to mind.

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Thanks to Srikant and Keerthi for your posts giving information about PSI and his krithis. It is interesting to know that there are ATa talam varnams composed by PSI and popularised by Sanjay Subramaniam. The most common ATa tala varnams currently sung by carnatic artists in my opinion, are Viriboni (Bhairavi), Nera Nammithi (Kaanada) and Sarasijanabha (Kambhoji). I think I would welcome for a change to hear som of PSI composed ATa tala varnams. The one song by PSI that II cannot take out of my mind is Aparadamula Niyu Man Ninchi in Lathangi. MSS and a few others sing the song so beautifully. Well, I will be looking for a availability of a book of krithis with notations by PSI. If someone out there come to know of such a book, i would request the person to let me know if possible. Thanks for all feedback received.

Meenalochani

varsha

Post by varsha »

srikant1987 wrote:Some time ago Vidwan Bangalore S Shankar was conducting a series of lec-dems on PSI's compositions. I attended one and wrote about it on this forum too. It included ErA nApai and the main was nija dAsa varada in kalyANi, and a submain bhairavi was there. http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16102
I first met him Sastri Hall , when he had come to deliver a concert of Patnams compositions , way back in 1991/92 for Nadopasana .
Decades down the line he has been invited only by the likes of Nadopasana , Maris festival and a few others .
#-o

crntctt

Post by crntctt »

Nice to know this, indeed.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

When I searched for the mukhAri kRti of PSI - epuDu kRpa galgunO, I saw a reference to a youtube video by Arundhathi Sarcar which has since been removed by youtube. (Arundhathi+Sarcar-Mukhari+Ragam-Eppudu+Kripa-PatnamSubramaniaIyer-Tirupati-3.wmv - This is just for reference, if you search for it, beware there are scam sites that get you to download an executable with the same name ).

I did not know anything about Arundhathi Sarcar. I looked for her videos and there are quite a few available. Seems to be quite a veteran from the Visakapatnam area. Is she known / well known among the Chennai crowd?

In any case, it will be good to listen to her version as well as Bangalore Shankar's version of the song.

kittappa

Post by kittappa »

While singing in the shower is tricky enough, Srinivasa Iyengar must have been really talented to sing this big kRti without ending up with seekakai and water in his mouth!
keerthi, were there bathroom showers in the days of Poochi, late 19th, early 20th centuries?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

While singing in the shower
refers to my experience [and that of other bathroom singers]
... without ending up with seekakai and water in his mouth!
refers to the adroitness of the musician.

Vasantakokilam,

This mukhAri song can be found in the All-mukhAri album by Chitravina Ravikiran and Nedanuri Krishnamurthy.

varsha

Post by varsha »

In any case, it will be good to listen to her version as well as Bangalore Shankar's version of the song.
https://www.mediafire.com/?funn6p7rccrcx99

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Keerthi. I will check that out.

Excellent find, Varsha. Thanks.

varsha

Post by varsha »

I did not know anything about Arundhathi Sarcar
VK
Do you like the idea of a thread on blind dates with recordings that are uploaded without labelling?
Say for example a track like this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/06zbmueoqi0qjwx/DUET.mp3
this link will stay live for a week the most .Request someone to reupload on a more long serving basis.
a jugalbandi in the truest of spirits.Attended ,yesterday , the solo version of a concert of one of the partners here. The screen opened to greet the performers with an audience strength of under ten :(

As we go along I will feature Arundhati Sircar too .But with song first , label next :)

vasanthakokilam

Thx Varsha. Interesting combination. Post thani there is a vocal label! and until them I did not know who the artists are. Excellent musicians, sad to hear about such poor turn out.

varsha

Post by varsha »

I did not know who the artists are
Allam Durga Prasad - Balsai-Karaikudi Mani.

The concert last week I referred to was by Allam Durga Prasad for the Balchander foundation .
24 years have gone by since SB has moved on !!!!
Delightful Charukesi on that day. What an instrument!!
Though I will never understand the use of violin for accompaniment :((

sriramr

Post by sriramr »

I have a book in my home of Patnam Subrahmanya Iyer compositions (apoorva sahityangal), a very old one indeed. It was used by my wife's grandfather , a nadaswaram vidwan. It has got notations and lyrics in Tamil. I guess there are around 25 compositions with swara sahityam.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Is it compiled by Vinai A.Subramaniam?

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Sriramr,

I would like to have a scanned copy of PSI compositions sent if possible. Thanks.

Meenalochani

nagthilaka

Post by nagthilaka »

Who is the composer of the kriti "daivama O daivama" i Heard Sri Malladi Suri babu sing this

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Annamacharya.