Bygone era songs?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Lakshman

Bygone era songs?

Post by Lakshman »

I came across a book published in 1903 titled Shiva Bhajana Kirtanaigal by T.Chakkaya Goundar.
In this book he refers to some songs as being similar to the "meTTus" used in the following songs.
All of these songs were probably in vogue in the late 19th / early 20th centuries but are out of circulation now.
Can anyone recognize any of these?

rAmamahi praNata bAla - kaslyANi - rUpaka
kAkka varuvAye garuDan Eri - dhanyAsi-Adi
mAdarai ninaiyAdE - khamAs - Adi
shiva chidambara tANDavarAyA - shankarAbharaNa -rUpaka
vaiyApuri murugayyanE - tODi - Adi
idu samayamayya vaivEl -kIravANi - Adi
rAma nAmam sei janma -kApi - aTa
konjayavadAsace - vIravasantA - Adi
cAmarAja bhUpatE namO namO
nAraNadEva rakSittaruL - bangALA -Adi
ittanai kOpamAgumA behAg - Adi
kamalanayana caraNi -kalyANi -Adi
guhanAthA SaNmukhanAthA -kApi - Adi
mAdhavamE tavamE dEshikatODi -rUpaka
aisa jAdU DAlA miyA
nArAyaNA nannu kAvavayyA - nAdanAmakriyA - Adi
mAdhavanE neDu maDu naDuvil - Arabhi - Adi
kaDatEra rAdA manasA - tODi -Adi
endaniDam vandavarai - paraju - Adi
EmisEtu eTula saitu
kAmini vinavE ipuDu - shankarAbharaNa -Adi
celiyalA pOpO bommanavE
celi manakyAla vAni
parabrahma svarUpA - suraTi - Adi
rArA nE tALajAla -tODi -Adi
appanE pazhani appanE - kApi -Adi
reinAjI bAlAjI - hindustanitODi -Adi
Ela nE vanitO

harimau

Re: Bygone era songs?

Post by harimau »

Lakshman wrote:I came across a book published in 1903 titled Shiva Bhajana Kirtanaigal by T.Chakkaya Goundar.
In this book he refers to some songs as being similar to the "meTTus" used in the following songs.
All of these songs were probably in vogue in the late 19th / early 20th centuries but are out of circulation now.
Can anyone recognize any of these?

mAdarai ninaiyAdE
In the 1940s movie En Manaivi (My Wife), I have heard this song. I think it is in Behag.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

-deleted-
Last edited by Pratyaksham Bala on 10 Jan 2015, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

appanE itself is similar to the 'meTTu' of mInAkshI mE mUdam dEhi, isn't it?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Very interesting list, Lakshmanji. It was a practise in the old chapbooks with the text of 'new' songs to give the name of a famous song which was the melodic template. This practise is seen in the ViSNu pallaki seva prabandham as well.

Some inputs -
1. aisa jA tU DAlAmiyA - could this be aisA jAdu DAlA miyA(n) - I don't recognise the song, just the words.

2. kaDatEra rAdA manasA

This one is a composition of tyAgaraja in tODi, dEshAdi. Its fading flame is kept alive by the students of the Tiger's lineage - people who learnt from MDR, Sandhyavandanam S.Rao, S.Ramanathan; by those of the Alathur school - students of Chingelput Ranganathan, T.T.Narendran etc.

It was also part of T.Mukta and T.Brinda's repertoire, and Prof. Ritha Rajan tells me that RamnAD Krishnan sang it as well. At the bottom of the list, I will include my name, I take pride in being one of few living people who sings this song.

3. EmisEtu eTula saitu

A javaLi learnt from the gramophone pATTu set, which could be in any of jhanjuti/khamas/kamboji/kedAragauLa

4. parabrahma svarUpA - parabrahma-swarUpame

A gauLipantu song from the rAma-nATaka kIrtanaigaL set. It has a tune similar to tarunam idamma or even tera tIyaga rAda.

5. Ela nE vanitO

If this could be Ela nE vAnipai, it is the kAmbhOji padam of kSetrayya better identified by the anupallavi 'bAla vinave'

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks Keerthi for the information.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Smt. Nithyashree sings parabrahma svarUpamE - it is part of a CD of hers, rAmanATaka kIrtanaigaL - I was given to understand that this would have been volume 1 (she sings them in sequence, and ends with the encounter between rAma and ghana kupita bhRgurAma), with other volumes completing the series...unfortunately, I have not been able to find the others. parabrahma svarUpamE describes the birth of the divine brothers, and she sings in hamsadhvani. Would love to hear this in gauLipantu.

And Keerthi, I continue to be impressed with both the depth and breadth of your knowledge! Thank you for sharing so selflessly.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Lakshmanji - keerti provided composer/raga names for few. Do you have raga / composer details for all these songs?

May be, we can request Sanjay to sing these for Dec 2015 series !

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have modified my earlier post and added the rAgAs and tALAs. Those left blank have no rAgAs indicated in the book.
But I don't have the lyrics for these songs (except for a couple mentioned by Keerthi).

CRama

Post by CRama »

TNS has sung Parabrahma swaoopame in Gowlipantu in his commercial casette- Rama Natakam of AK. He used to sing that in many concerts also.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »