Tribute to the Legendary Musician Smt. Suguna Purushothaman

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
paalam

Tribute to the Legendary Musician Smt. Suguna Purushothaman

Post by paalam »

Watch Lecture Demonstration on Niraval Singing by Smt. Suguna Purushothaman held during National Conference on Music Appreciation conducted by Mudhra in the year 2011.
Click here and watch http://youtu.be/mzRGmsdVNzY

arasi

Re: Tribute to the Legendary Musician Smt. Suguna Purushothaman

Post by arasi »

Thank you, Radha Bhaskar!
A fitting tribute for Suguna Purushothaman.Her presentation about niraval will appeal to paNDits and pAmarAs. She had a knack of making her audience feel comfortable in her company, and make them feel as if she was talking to them at a personal level. A grace she possessed which made the audience feel at ease with someone who obviously was a scholar, and yet made it all simple for all to understand. Every aspiring singer will has a lesson here on how the bhAvA in words have to be made one's own while singing, and in niravals. She was a joy to listen to, she still is, thanks to technology.

May her disciples and other students of music who see videos like this continue her zeal in keeping the bhAvA intact in a song, and in highlighting it in niraval. I am glad you chose to post this lec-dem today (we somehow focus mostly on her being a layA expert). How her eagerness for bringing out the bhAvA in a line is shown here! Herself being a composer, she knew the exploration of it only too well...

Thanks again...

CRama

Post by CRama »

Tht was a great lec dem on neraval. I also attended and made posting in this forum also. She conveys the most authentic matters in a simpe manner laced with her ever lasting humour and soulful singing. A must listen for all music aspirants. Thanks to paalam for this gesture.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thanks to Paalam for this link.
Excellent demonstration by Suguna Mami.

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

A great musician and a greater human being, she is. I had not seen a more cheerful and happy person who participated wholeheartedly and kept up her composing and singing work in the face of a cruel ailment she was undergoing. Such an effort needs major willpower and strength of mind. Easily accessible to rasikas and musicians alike, she harboured no gradation in people. Very beautiful person, she is. Whenever I close my eyes, all I see is her smiling face. May her soul rest in peace.

VRV

Post by VRV »

A wonderful human being and an awesome musician. She will be missed. may her soul rest in peace.

Vinod