Ravikiran's Varnam with Mandolin U Srinivas

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
asangeetha

Ravikiran's Varnam with Mandolin U Srinivas

Post by asangeetha »

Hoping to break away from the noise and move towards the music ... :)

Here is a beautiful rendition of Shri Ravikiran’s Reetigowla varnam rendered by him and Mandolin U Srinivas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWFkBCx ... e=youtu.be

With that beautiful note or notes, I hope we can all settle down and enjoy music for its divinity and realize that the greatest award comes from god to the rasikas through musicians such as these among our midst.

I cannot imagine a Tyagaraja, a Muttuswamy Dikshitar or a Oottukaddu Venkata Kavi fretting about awards and such and my guess is, like many other people in this forum .. that those outstanding musicians who have not gotten the award so far are not losing sleep over it either :) .. including Shri Ravikiran. Time will answer all questions!

ganesh_mourthy

Re: Ravikiran's Varnam with Mandolin U Srinivas

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Is the whole concert available anywhere to buy.Wish I was there to enjoy it live.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

g_m...not that I know. Here's a review I wrote of it...and some pics:

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 53#p243653

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Merge this thread with ravikiran vidwan and vidushi thread . It is there
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... =ravikiran.

Also there is another thread of ravikiran which I asked you to merge long time back. So merge this also
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... =ravikiran

Bhargavi(from other thread), uday, asangeetha,
It will help tremendously all of us to know more about ravikiran so that you post in that one single thread

arasi

Post by arasi »

It's all like a dream now :(

The excitement of seeing their practicing together in RK's house for this momentous concert made us hope that this would be repeated in the future!

We feel Srinivas's absence even more at this moment. In the clip, while musically he's giving his best, you can see how he has already been touched by the disease. I did not notice it in the rehearsal clip then.

Some concert! Hope there's going to be a commercial release of it soon...

vsuresh

Post by vsuresh »

Here is also a brilliant Ashtalakshmi Ragamalika composed by Chitravina N Ravikiran, featuring a Climactic final Swara in descending order of ragas from high Sa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9pYs_no5uo

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Thanks a lot. It's a fitting entry for #1001 in my list. Note : Varnam is in Adi Talam. Alas, how much will we miss Shrinivas!

I wish to ask if there is a vocal version of it.

bombal

Post by bombal »

what a wonderful composition on Ashtalakshmi...kudos to the genius Ravikiran...

rendered melodiously by Savitha Narasimhan...truly an SKalyanaraaman kind of feat...greatly appreciate it...

God bless, all these wonderful musicians, who give so much of Anandham to the Rasikas

BcnB

cienu

Post by cienu »

What a composition ! Amazingly rendered by Chitravina Ravikiran and Mandolin Srinivas..
How time flies. It is 9 months since the Master of the Mandolin left us.

The composition on Ashtalakshmi is superb indeed. Melodiously sung by Savita Narasimhan.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Thanks Uday for the reference.

Thanks again Bhargavi, Uday, asangeetha for propagating his wonderful pieces.

It is good to move away from that sk thread which was barraging at a few artistes.

Personally, I feel that Chitraveena Ravikiran should play more of his compositions. It is his creation , and he should immerse in it and plunge into the devotional bliss, and then passing the onus on to others. He and he alone can bring out the nuances of his creative piece.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

great ! can we have all the composition details, links in vaggeyakara thread for quick, easy and future reference ?

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

RK sir's compositions are delightfully challenging to learn. There is a delectable uniqueness in every one of his compositions - be it varnam, kriti or tillana. For e.g., in the Adi Vinayakam (varnam in Sanskrit set to Reetigowlai ragam, posted in the start of this thread), (which is also the first song in the DVD set "Sada Sharanam"), the Charanam line "mahEshwara manEshwaram gaNeshwaram" takes an ateeta eduppu.

Also, in his varnams, the third swara group in the charanams, is the most challenging - there is almost no room to breathe. Certainly a great challenge to take on and increase one's lung capacity and get to better voice fitness. :)

RK sir is probably the first to have also composed varnams set in all the 35 taalas. Incidentally, I recorded a rendition of Behag varnam (in Telugu on Krishna, set to Chatushra Matyam), sometime back in April..obviously, it takes a lot of breath control practice to get the taalam and shruti tunefulness to do full justice to the varnam. Here is a link to the recording. Please pardon my amateur attempt:

https://soundcloud.com/tn-arunagiri/tam ... ag/s-KEArB

Here is a link to sir playing a tillana of his in Kalyana Vasantam set to Khanda Chaapu...the charanam is in Tamil on Krishna, where it is an alliteration galore, with the syllable "va"..

vAnavar vAzhttum devAdi devA
kEshavA vIra vAsudeva yAdavA
nIla vAnam venn azhaganE vA
iraivA mAdhavA ennai erkavE
vAdu seyyAdu vA...
...ravi shashi nayanE
parivuDan viraivinil
abhayam tandaruLavA

http://www.inbaminge.com/t/carnatic/Sri ... u.vid.html

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Very nice, tanapp. Thanks for posting the link.
It is a very interesting take on behag, with beautiful and symmetrically arranged chittaiswarams.

vsuresh

Post by vsuresh »

Here is a great lec-dem on swaraksharams by a highly respected Guru in San Diego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpaPMPiU ... e=youtu.be

At 6:05, he features a beautiful composition of Shri. Chitravina N Ravikiran in Hindolam (full of swaraksharams) sung by the Maestro himself.

shankar vaidyanathan

Post by shankar vaidyanathan »

"Brilliant!" seems such an inadequate word to describe that cerebral Reethigowlai. Thanks for the referral. Keep us posted when the commercial recording becomes available. Are there other works where Sri Ravikiran collaborated (with) Late Srinivas?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shankar,
The rehearsal video (which Lata Ganapathy put up in Rasikas) and posts after that gave me the impression that it happened so many years (30?) after the prodigies wanting to play together. More concerts were to come, but Srinivas was snatched away...:(

aratnam

Post by aratnam »

Does anyone have the lyrics/swaram for this amazing varnam?

bforbeta

Post by bforbeta »

shankar vaidyanathan wrote: 28 Jun 2015, 19:49 "Brilliant!" seems such an inadequate word to describe that cerebral Reethigowlai. Thanks for the referral. Keep us posted when the commercial recording becomes available. Are there other works where Sri Ravikiran collaborated (with) Late Srinivas?
Any information/ pointers on the recording of this program?

I had sent a message on Facebook to Sri Ravikiran as well asking if he would help in this regards.

Waiting for a response.
Thanks