Payments to CM musicians (especially in the US)

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
VK RAMAN

Re: Payments to CM musicians (especially in the US)

Post by VK RAMAN »

RK, You question should be addressed to Mr Sundaram in privacy and you may suggest to him how one can organize an event. Every organizer keeps looking for practical and actionable ideas. You are questioning the abilities of organizers who are in this noble service for a long time.

harimau

Post by harimau »

VK RAMAN wrote:RK, You question should be addressed to Mr Sundaram in privacy and you may suggest to him how one can organize an event. Every organizer keeps looking for practical and actionable ideas. You are questioning the abilities of organizers who are in this noble service for a long time.
He has no intention of doing anything like that.

It is far easier to spread lies and calumnies on a website.

I have attended less than 25% of the Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana, i.e., around 10 of them only. I am in no way an insider but keep my eyes and ears open and sometimes ask pertinent or impertinent questions. I was and continue to be amazed by the enthusiasm of the volunteers. I know of at least some US born children who have been motivated to move to India to pursue CM after their participation in the Aradhana.

I googled and found that Prof Tuttle passed away in 2000. Fifteen years after that, we are being told that the University facilities are rent-free. According to my source, whom I have named, that has not been the case. Not since Prof Tuttle's death.

I guess Rohan ka Baap has connections at the highest level of Indian and US airlines for him to say free tickets are issued to the Aradhana artists. I cannot verify that claim as I do not function at such stratospheric levels but have my feet planted on the ground. Perhaps Rohan ka Baap can tell us the source for his claim. Even then, we cannot verify it because the CEO of a US airline is not going to reply to a request for information. So he is free to name any names.

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

"You are questioning the abilities of organizers who are in this noble service for a long time."
This absolutely wrong. I have the greatest respect for all the organizers of Cleveland Aradhana. In fact they have contributed considerably towards Rohan's development and encouraged him at every step. But for Balu we would not even have known that there is something like Cleveland Aradhana.But for flute Ramani we would not have known about the December season! In fact I was the one(to the best of my knowledge) who suggested to Sundaram that concerts should be ticketed or a blanket feel should be charged to attend the Aradhana. I also told him to charge a minimal fee for food. At that time he thought it was an outrageous idea since for so many years it was not done. Any way as we can see now things have changed.So this is nothing against the great gentlemen and women tirelessly working for the Aradhana.
As for the arithmetic of how the 250K is required to invite 70 artists, my question is why do you need to invite so many? As of today do a calculation of how much money is generated through competition registration, sangeetha sampradhaya fees, fees for other activities, ticketed concerts and then decide on how many artists can be accommodated within that budget.

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

During my Cal Tech days in the 1980s, the senior George Bush who was the President came to address a commencement speech. As we know Cal Tech is a small school made up of probably 3000 or so members including students, faculty and staff. Yet they have produced more per capita Nobel Laureates and other awardees than any other institution.
President Bush said" Cal Tech is a small institution compared to most American Universities and yet we know what they have achieved. This clearly shows that " BIGGER IS NOT BETTER, BETTER IS BETTER".
I thought it was a profound statement. This applies to many institutions, including Cleveland. Cleveland has become bigger over the years. But does that mean it has become better? Some thing to ponder about. Again questioning some one's policies doesn't mean a personal attack.These are points to be debated. After all "Open covenants should be openly arrived at".

arasi

Post by arasi »

The former president got a compliment which he will cherish, if he knew. He was far better than his son the president who is not known for quotable quotes!

Though you sound toned down in your suggestions now, I wonder why you can't communicate all this to the Cleveland folks directly. Enough has been said on Rasikas.org about Cleveland to make the festival seem like some trivial, no good nonsense, and the way you approached it earlier is contrary to what you say now, as if you care about it. May be you do, but you have a funny way in going about it.

It didn't help at all, dampening the enthusiasm most of us have for an awesome phenomenon like the US festival of Tyagaraja in Cleveland. It made the air around here unhealthy--like making a meeting place a riot spot. Not only that. It continued, with others--again with some grudge or other. Then, lo and behold, continued in meting it out in the SK thread. In the process, not only the Cleveland festival, but the Music Academy got a taste of the malevolent attitudes a few have towards individuals like V.V.Sundaram and the SK designate.

Extreme insensitivity in criticizing persons that one is not keen of shows poor taste (however heightened their musical taste), lack of sympathy and should we say, a trace of cruelty?

May be I'm justified in saying the above. As others mention, we have had some dramatic fights in the past--all right, vehement pillow fights. Yet, the atmosphere which we experienced the past several weeks really was not of good air quality at all to breathe in.

May be I'm getting old, the world is too much with us, or whatever. Bear with me. I am simply tired of it all, that's all...

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear rasikas,

I wish a day will come when the Carnatic musicians whether - Vocal,Violin,Veena or pakavadyams are paid handsomely .It is said that Sri TM Krishna shares his remuneration equally with all the accompanying artists.
Playing Mridangam or ghatam is no easy task.Those who are influential in the forum should work towards this.
Since many artists are visiting Cleveland and other parts of USA,hope they get compensated well.I could not make out any conclusion in these discussions.

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

arasi wrote: Though you sound toned down in your suggestions now, I wonder why you can't communicate all this to the Cleveland folks directly. , and the way you approached it earlier is contrary to what you say now, as if you care about it. May be you do, but you have a funny way in going about it.
Add to it, all the name-dropping - makes it a very difficult read.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

The search for an egalitarian society will be an eternal one. Music is no exception.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Ramakrishnan Murthy and Sandeep Narayanan moved to Chennai, hoping to make it big in the Mecca of Carnatic Music.

They have succeeded by one measure: they have reached the senior slot in the Music Academy.

Their parents probably wondered if their children were doing the right thing. They probably are still wondering if an EE degree and working in the high-tech industry would not have paid more.

Then there are others who get their tickets punched: Yuva Kala Bharathi, PhD in Music from a good university, etc. if they stay on in the US, there is the possibility of making a good living but perhaps not getting an opportunity to play for Sandeep Narayanan at the Music Academy.

Everyone makes his choice. After that you just accept whatever the roll of dice brings you.

There is no point in blaming the organization XYZ or the individuals running that organisation. Why isn't the blame directed at the Music Academy?

Because the Music Academy does pretty much what it wants and doesn't care what a US professor of chemistry -- or, anybody else for that matter -- has to say about the inequalities of life.

Life is unfair. Deal with it.

harimau

Post by harimau »

I wrote my view of the Great Annual Tamasha back in 2010.

Search this site for "The pernicious effects of moneybags on CM".

No, I am not going to put the URL here. You can make the effort to look it up.

Small size by itself doesn't guarantee excellence. There are hundreds of tiny colleges and universities in the US. Today, they are making the headlines not because they are earning Nobel prizes but because they are going bankrupt.

Big ain't bad either. University of California - Berkeley has its share of Nobel prizes despite being the largest university in California.

For that matter, the Nobel prizes are not free of bias either. Dr ECG Sudarshan, who proposed the existence of tachyons (particles that travel faster than light) has not been acknowledged though at least a couple of physicists who followed up on that theory were given Nobel prizes. The theory on black holes was pooh-poohed by an eminent British physicist and Prof Chandrasekhar had to wait decades for his Nobel prize. Mahatma Gandhi never got a prize for peace but the man who directed the largest tonnage of bombs to be dropped on Vietnam, Henry Kissinger, got the Nobel Peace prize. More recently, the Nobel went to 3 physicists for discovering MRI and the scientist who holds the patents on MRI scanners. -- shades of someone who has patented the variable sruthi mridangam -- took out full-page ads in US newspapers decrying the unfairness of it all.

Again, Life is not fair. deal with it.

Or, take out ads in the The New York Times. :lol: :evil:

Or, lacking the funds for full-page ads in newspapers, write on this website. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by harimau on 19 Aug 2015, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

harimau

Post by harimau »

arasi wrote:The former president got a compliment which he will cherish, if he knew. He was far better than his son the president who is not known for quotable quotes!
You ought to search the Internet for "Bushisms" and you will get plenty on Dubya.

harimau

Post by harimau »

arasi wrote:?......Then, lo and behold, continued in meting it out in the SK thread. In the process, not only the Cleveland festival, but the Music Academy got a taste of the malevolent attitudes a few have towards individuals like V.V.Sundaram and the SK designate.

Extreme insensitivity in criticizing persons that one is not keen of shows poor taste (however heightened their musical taste), lack of sympathy and should we say, a trace of cruelty? ......

Here is some more malevolent attitude and traces of cruelty:

This year, the Music Academy is featuring Savitha Narasimhan in the 4pm slot just before this year's SK-designate's concert.

The sheeple will be grabbing all the seats in the auditorium so Savitha can expect a full house.

As I have said before, the sheeple will endure anything, even good music, so as to be able to listen to tup-tup and dugu-dugu. :lol:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I am listening to Sanjay extensively thanks to Prakashrao Narayan. I really want to know who can bring so much variety and depth to CM among the contemporaries as Sanjay in vocal. TMK, yes, but I would prefer Sanjay for the tempo from start to finish. Slips may be there, but I doubt if anyone can do as much and avoid slips. If tup tup and dugu dugu can bring the swaras, what is wrong? You can after all sing swaras with any letters, otherwise all compositions must be apaswaram.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Chellappa,
The greats of the past, I mean the ones who occupy the hallowed gallery of the ultimate musicians were blessed indeed. How many of their concerts were recorded, reviewed sadir thEngAi style(cocunut broken at ganESa temples)?

In pre-recorder times, the rasikAs didn't travel more than a few miles to hear their favored musicians. They wrote post cards to each other how the concerts they heard in their own vicinity were great. I dare say...if all the numerous concerts of Ariacembachemmagnb were available to us to listen to and to review, I doubt if we can find gem after gem of concerts, perfect Sruti, flawless varNam to mangalam rendition!

Oh, and distance adds enchantment to the view.

'GuDu guDu' the sheeple will run to listen to dugu dugu vidvAn, and the sheep from the high throne of immaculate rasikatva will follow them for purely sociological concerns, by his own admission...

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

" Enough has been said on Rasikas.org about Cleveland to make the festival seem like some trivial, no good nonsense"
This is another nonsensical observation from you. Cleveland features again and again because of its importance in North America and will come in for more scrutiny. That doesn't mean it is "a trivial" festival. It is mega festival that affects so many aspiring musicians in NA although 99.99% of them do it just to get admission into Medical School or an Ivy League School. Even this aspect I discussed with Mr Sundaram once and he was caught by surprise. I clearly outlined this an article I wrote for The Hindu few years ago. So there is nothing wrong with Cleveland or the organizers. The debate is about the direction it is going through. Questioning that doesn't mean one is an enemy of the organizers.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Mr. RK insists that his gestures are in love for the organisation. Such things do happen in love. We must accept the clarification and conclude that the issue of fair remuneration to artists has been settled.

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

Here is the link of the article if you missed it.
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/chasing-th ... 246042.ece

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

"Ramakrishnan Murthy and Sandeep Narayanan moved to Chennai, hoping to make it big in the Mecca of Carnatic Music.They have succeeded by one measure: they have reached the senior slot in the Music Academy."
Very talented artists. I hope they are able to pay their bills having moved to Chennai and don't depend on their parents unless they are also doing an IT job outside of CM. Is "getting a senior slot" in MA the end of the road? What about next year? Will they feature again?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Priyashekar, a fan of Harimau, has given a glowing review of Sanjay's concert in Shanmukhananda hall. Many new pieces as usual.
Last edited by kvchellappa on 20 Aug 2015, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

RKrishnamurthy wrote:"Ramakrishnan Murthy and Sandeep Narayanan moved to Chennai, hoping to make it big in the Mecca of Carnatic Music.They have succeeded by one measure: they have reached the senior slot in the Music Academy."
Very talented artists. I hope they are able to pay their bills having moved to Chennai and don't depend on their parents unless they are also doing an IT job outside of CM. Is "getting a senior slot" in MA the end of the road? What about next year? Will they feature again?
MA doesn't promote to main slot, if they are not full time professional musicians... why do you think these musicians depend on their parents? How much money is good enough for living? I personally think, these musicians are going in right direction, and there is no end of road for them as you think...

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

So, what exactly is the Indian-American dream?

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

ramamantra wrote:So, what exactly is the Indian-American dream?
To get best of everything... perform in MA in december, and rest of the year live in US and earn in $$ :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

RKrishnamurthy wrote:" It is mega festival that affects so many aspiring musicians in NA although 99.99% of them do it just to get admission into Medical School or an Ivy League School.
So it is not just the water that flows down the river Kaveri, or the minerals that is exploited. It is also the rama nAma japa balam that he did on it's tIRa(banks) that we take and offer it to capitalism. Isn't that the same heritage that brought us all here in the first place?!! The 16 or multiple intelligence theory that Howard talks about has been pointed out to be sourced from Shri Aurobindo's writings.

In all this however if one ounce of his viSrAnti falls on their bones and one tear they can shed on listening to his kritIs - the job would be done. ganga jalalava kaNikA pIta.

Please encourage them to listen to pancaratna rendition - In my current city I see only teachers coming and singing - their students and their parents not to be seen at all. Many of them are interested in visual arts ( dRSTa phala) - we should also mention to them about adRSTa phala that Bharata talks about!

Sir, If Chicago Aradhana never moved from Sri Thyagaraja Rao's house at Madison WI, Rohan could not have played all day for the kids - there would not have been enough kids. Same goes for Cleveland Aradhana. I vividly remember Rohan at the mike thanking the organizers when he won the price as a kid. aval yellam ( our forumites mkr/ vkv sir included) namskarattukku uriyava.

Just like marriage is a 1000 year crop - so is music. Rohan may not need rasikas help any more - his Students and their students probably will. I have heard some of them. I get goose bumps whenever I hear the toppi sound!. Irrespective of all this - we will have utmost sympathy and support for all of them - no question.

Cleveland Aradhana is probably managed somewhat with Grandma's wisdom - Ayiram poi solli oru kalyANam panratu. Not a subject matter for Harvard business review. Cleveland knows it's roots and already is a heritage and has memories - and despite the glitter and glamour will keep true to it's tradition.

Reminds of Sri Balakrishna Satrigal's description of mitila puri in his tyAgaraja ramayaNam - as Sage Viswamitra enters. Amidst all the glitter ( nAtyam and nardhanam) , he sees a Janaka Maharaja in a serene state unmoved by all of it!

It is a great thing to see artistes like Sri Yella Venkiteshwar Rao being honored. 10 years ago - they were "out of our state" artistes! We should view them as people in the migration path of tyAgaraja's ancestors - at least that much sense of history?!!

It is also a great feeling to see pictures of Smt. Gomathys – now with more grey hairs - serving food. Anna puRNE visAlakshi

A person who does not offer his services to tyAgarAja Aradhana be it Cleveland or your local city is equivalent to a person in tirumanjana vIti that did not offer a morcel of rice to tyAgaraja as he walked by.

harimau

Post by harimau »

pattamaa wrote: MA doesn't promote to main slot, if they are not full time professional musicians...
Saketharaman, IIRC, is employed full-time in Bangalore in a non-musical field. A quick google search says he has a graduate degree in software engineering and works for an investment banking firm.

Nidhi chala Sukhama. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TNS Krishna who was featured in the senior slot in Dec 2014 is also employed full-time in a non-musical venture.

The younger of the Hyderabad Brothers is employed by AIR Hyderabad in some non-musical capacity, IIRC.

harimau

Post by harimau »

RKrishnamurthy wrote: As for the arithmetic of how the 250K is required to invite 70 artists, my question is why do you need to invite so many? As of today do a calculation of how much money is generated through competition registration, sangeetha sampradhaya fees, fees for other activities, ticketed concerts and then decide on how many artists can be accommodated within that budget.
That is the calculation that is behind the Kalamazoo Thyagaraja Festival. You have heard of the Kalamazoo Thyagaraja Festival, haven't you?

The same calculation is behind the huge Siva Temple in Kalamazoo. It is dedicated to Siva in his form as the Akasha Lingam. It is a huge temple with Siva visible from any point in Kalamazoo.

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

"So, what exactly is the Indian-American dream?:"
This was not my title of the article. It was the Editor's choice since they always feel they have to make some changes

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

" shankarank »"
In reply to this rasikas post I am touched that he/she remembers Chicago Aradhana where Rohan played for all the kids. He was paid 25$ as a token and we still are preserving that dollar bill! There is no question that Chicago has supported Rohan although not as much as Cleveland. This is besides the point. Again if we look at Cleveland, I have mentioned this in the past, individual singing has gone into oblivion since at the same time there are 30-45 minutes concerts by various artists from NA. This is not good. Let these concerts be arranged at other times albeit at the expense of artists from India who do "kainkaryam". I have also examples to justify this phrase but I will not do it in public. It is also wrong to suggest that unless one contributes and does voluntary job, one has no right to give one's opinion. The opinion may not be takne seriously. That is fine. Recently I attended a puja in a temple in Detroit and the puja got delayed by 2 hours just because they were waiting for one of their major donors! I don't blame them. The donor should have the courtesy to tell them not to wait for him.

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

"It is also a great feeling to see pictures of Smt. Gomathys – now with more grey hairs - serving food. Anna puRNE visAlakshi"
What a great lady! I can not forget the Mulagukuzambhu she made for the audiences and artists when the Aradhana was not commercialized. Also don't forget Mrs Sundaram who personally carried carried hundreds of jangiris from Chennai just for the Saturday lunch!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Sad temple pujas, in other words, God will wait for rich people, or wait for donors to earn their respect. Is it Sanatana dharma?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I admire Harimau when someone else in the forum is in the receiving end!

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

RKrishnamurthy wrote: This was not my title of the article. It was the Editor's choice since they always feel they have to make some changes
Oh, that's very convenient.

Anyway, what's the original title? The article seems quite redundant and open-ended.

RKrishnamurthy

Post by RKrishnamurthy »

"Oh, that's very convenient.t

Anyway, what's the original title? The article seems quite redundant and open-ended."
I frankly do not remember what my title was but it had nothing to do with NA dream. I disagree that the article is redundant. Yes it was some what open ended. But the article will be relevant for all NA kids for all time to come.