Frequency of sound

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
isramesh

Frequency of sound

Post by isramesh »

Was just reading this. Don't know whether all that was written is correct or not but would like to know how far the frequencies 440hz and 432 hz relevant in Indian music.
http://educateinspirechange.org/science ... ic-432-hz/

Nick H

Re: Frequency of sound

Post by Nick H »

This is pure audiophoolery. Utter nonsense.

The frequency of "A" only matter at all when you have numerous instruments, some of which can hardly be tuned at all, let alone tuned by the quick touch of a screw. Otherwise, the law/lore of Indian music, as I understand it, is also the law of all music: it's the intervals that matter, not what frequency you start at.

Why would the frequency of Dha be so important anyway? The relevance is... none.

But there might still be something to be taken from this. What frequency is consistent with the mathematics of your universe? At what tuning does a tampura make an individual feel most wonderful? Not having any necessity to be hung up on standard pitch leaves Indian musicians free to find their notes. It is a freedom that may be threatened by pitch pipes. electronic boxes... and pseudo-scientific rubbish! :roll: :twisted:

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Yup !!!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Nick: DITTO!!! Knowing that the intervals between Sa,Ga(anthara gandhara) , Madhyamam(Suddha) and Panchamam(PA) as a ratio of ONE(Sa) to ONE-FOURTH(Ga) ONE THIRD (Maa) and ONE HALF(Pa of the base Sa(100) hardly helps me in appreciating Bahudhari better!!!

GNSir always used to say that knowing the swaras in a Raga scale alone is not enough. The mathematical intervals between the notes notwithstanding,their relationships would need to be accented or mildly phrased depending upon what precedes/follows a note. For example, the Gandhara in Sankarabharanam should be sung without oscillation whereas the same Ga in Kalyani can be stretched. WHY?

because the interval between Ga and Ma(Suddha madhyamam) in Sankarabharanam is One-twefth of the base frequency(Sa) --(Ga is ONEFOURTH of the base .Ma is ONETHIRD of the base) and and hence not much scope for oscillation whereas in Kalyani the gap between Ga and Pradhimadhyamam is larger!!

Forumites I hope this useless trivia does not hinder your appreciation of kalyani and Sankarabharanam trying to measure the intervals between the notes!! I got into trouble with Musiri mama when I quoted this arithmetical "gibberish" from C.S.Iyer's book(C.S.Iyer was the elder brother of C.V.Raman the Nobel laureate)--he used to participate vigorously in the morning experts committee discussions at the Music Academy during the December season.Musiri mama asked me in Tamil"UNAKKU IPPO ADHU TERINJU ENNA AANAM(Where is the need for you to know that now)--try to enjoy the music without delving deep into these things. The irony was that BOTH C.S. Iyer and Musiri were students of the Late T.S.Sabesa Iyer(Sangeetha kalanidhi and Principal of the Annamalai College of Music in Chidambaram))!!!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

MKR, in retrospect, a come back to Musiri could have been "mAma ungalukku enna, unga sangeetham pEsaradu, adunAla sangeethathai pathi pEsa thEvai illai (your music talks, so there is no need to talk about music'.) That would have elicited a laugh with a 'balE balE' from him

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The maths is genuine and real: it is for researchers who wish to take that particular path to study and understand the music. We have several members who can talk about such things. I'm not aware of any music where the performers, or even the composers, need to know the maths of music. Having said that, there is probably someone somewhere who uses it... but I think most do not.

If there is any correlation of of frequency as absolute numbers and effect on the body or mind, then we have our very own man, Mahavishnu, as the expert on the subject. I am not saying it is impossible. We are part of science too!

We can do music, emotion and spirituality. In fact, that is what music is for most of us. Those so inclined can do the science and maths.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Spring Cuckoo: Nice comeback!! But I can visualize(had I said that repartee) what Musiri Mama's reaction would have been--- a characteristic "clearing of the throat" and arched eyebrows "tut-tutting" me without saying a word!!!!