Music Temple processions delighted Thyagaraja: V Sriram

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

RSR

Re: Music Temple processions delighted Thyagaraja: V Sriram

Post by RSR »

Wonderful article by Sriram. ..... Thanks to Chellappa Sir, for sharing this...... Sri.Sriram has mentioned quite a few thyagaraja kruthis in this article. It would be great if scholars like Sri.Govindan and Savithri madam, give the English translation , of all the songs mentioned. ( Very likely that Sri.Govindan has already provided translation for a few, In that case , he can give links). Madam can give the translation by a native Telugu speaker., one by one. (not necessarily ,word by word , a free translation would do)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Enjoyed reading it.

Wonder if the other yamunA kalyANi kriti haridAsulu veDale is also one such...

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

A few observations:

1) rAju veDala was also composed during the Vaikunta Ekadasi festival. Though the horse vAhanam is conducted in chitra festival too, here there is no mention of chitra festival. Thyagaraja says, "chita vIdIlO", which means in one of the chithirai streets. He would not have stayed for more than 4 months at Srirangam waiting for the chitra festival.He came for Vaikaunta Ekadasi, because "mutyAla sarula" in O rangasAyee mentions the muthangi sEvA which is done only during Vaikunta Ekadasi and at no other time of the year, that too only for the periya perumAL ('muthyAla sarula yuramunu gAna vachiti' in 'O rangashAyee), for nam perumal it is the ratnAngi sEvA. Besides Thyagaraja had to go to Kanchipuram as soon as possible to meet Upanishad Brahmam who was already very old then and who had written to Thyagaraja asking him to Kanchipuram to meet him. The tODi song 'rAju veDala' mentions nam perumal as sporting a lot of jewels which he does during the horse vAhanam during the mornings (pagal pathu). The dEvagAndhAri kriti 'vinarAda nA manavi' also describes the horse vAhanam but without the jewels which means the Lord's procession at night (rA pathu)

2) The kriti karuNA jooDavayyA was written on Sankaranti day. It is only on this day that nam perumAL comes out with the two nAchiyArs and all the 12 Alwars. On all other days, nam perumal goes out alone only. And this procession on Sankaranti goes from the main sannidhi to the Sankaranti mantapam behind the tAyAr sannidhi. There, they offer all kinds of naivEdyam to the Lord (this is mentioned in the charanam of the Saranga kriti).

Both these were told to me by Embar Raghavasimham, brother of Embar Vijayaraghavachariyar who lived all his life in Srirangam.

I have dated the writing of the Saranga song by Thyagaraja as on January 14th 1836.

arasi

Post by arasi »

RaviSri,
Illuminating as always. Thanks!
My question again. It's may be me, but haridAsulu veDale conjures up a procession in my mind...

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Yes, haridAsulu veDalE means, 'haridAsAs are coming', simply put. In those days, almost on a daily basis, there used to Haridasas, walking the streets, especially of a pilgrim centre like Tiruvaiyyaru, singing bhajans, chanting the names of the Lord, and there used to be what weere called s dEsAndarIs, i.e., those who travelled all the time from one place to another. Such people were supported by the people of that particular town or village with food, either cooked or raw. Haridasas usually took to uunchavritti. This song you mention is a description of such people whose life work was to roam about, chanting and singing the Lord's name.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

RaviSri wrote: I have dated the writing of the Saranga song by Thyagaraja as on January 14th 1836.
Fantastic!

Have you or anyone else attempted to approximately date all the kritis of thyagaraja or even arrange them chronologically? May be an interesting project since a lot of kritis contain indicators from what
was happening in his own life (family disputes, daughter's wedding, confinement etc. etc.)

RSR

Post by RSR »

As expected, Sri.Govindan's blog has the meaning for all the songs mentioned by Sri.Sriram. Here they are . We can read SriRam's article with these translations (gist only) to better enjoy. Kindly excuse the length of the post.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)
Thyagaraja Kriti - Darsanamu Seya - Raga Narayana Gaula
http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.in ... -raga.html
O Destroyer of sins! O Lord whose feet are worshipped by this tyAgarAja! Is it in my capacity to behold Lord Siva?
Giving due consideration, You should pardon me.
Having worshipped the temple towers, very sacred flag staff, the figures of Gods carved in rock established on the ground, dances of damsels, rows of lamps, and the divine carriages of the Lord, I became external oriented.
Performing sixteen circumambulations by swaying slowly, uttering nicely words of abuse about others, I exulted looking at others’ wives, but I failed to chant the sacred twin syllable ‘Siva’.
Is it a matter of play to remain in a state of trance, firmly establishing (in the mind) the wonderful gold like form (of the Lord) and beholding (the form) again and again in the Lotus of the heart?

=====================================================================================================
2) Thyagaraja Kriti - Mucchata - Raga Madhyamavathi
O Damsels!
Lord Siva - the Lord of five rivers – wearer of serpents as ornaments - is going in procession, very charmingly, in the palanquin studded with all precious stones, in the cool hours, along with plenty of services and very joyfully, thinking of pArvati – the (dark) green bodied - the supremely holy one.
1. (a) All the paraphernalia (of the Lord) are charmingly shining in the hands of people resembling demi-Gods; (b) true devotees are extolling Him to the delight of their hearts; and (c) jasmine garlands, together with a lot of ornaments, are dazzling on His white body.
2. (a) He is whole-heartedly accepting, at every step, all nice sacred offerings, (b) He is proceeding with the intent that ‘I shall search and bestow, abundantly, their wishes to those devoted people who always perform name-chanting and penances’
3. (a) He is watching the splendour of great devotees performing nicely the exposition of the songs of the names Lord hari with sweet musical notes in exquisite rAgas; (b) He has become the Ocean of Mercy and ever-vigilant for protection of all virtuous people quickly; (c) He is proclaiming that ‘I am the tyAgarAja who bestows wishes’.
Is the grandeur attainable even for brahmA and others? Come, let us behold!

******************************************************************************************************************************************
3)
Thyagaraja Kriti - Dorakunayituvanti - Raga Bilahari
Is it possible to get such a service?
Is it possible to get such a service even for the best of brAhmaNas who have, but, performed little penance or even to the celestials?

Is it possible to behold Lord hari – established on the swinging couch of SEsha while -
tumburu and sage nArada perform exposition of the songs extolling the virtues of the Lord,
sage ambarIsha and other important persons chant Lord’s names showering jasmine flowers on the Lord,
black braided celestial dancing girls, with red bimba fruit like lips, dance,
brahmA and indra, standing on both sides of the Lord, laud the list of appellations of the (Solar) race,
celestial damsels fan the Lord to the sweet chime of their hand bracelets, and
as the diamond-studded necklaces (on the chest of the Lord) sway (while swinging in the couch)?

Is it possible to behold the World’s beauty treasure -
as lustrous, golden-hued garments sparkles on His emerald like body,
as the glow of rows of nails, of His holy feet, ridicule baby moons,
as the beautiful anklet shines,
as diamond ornaments shine on His arms, and

who shines with -
pearl necklaces on the broad chest,
befitting dolphin shaped ear-rings,
curls of hair on the smiling face,
mirror-like cheeks, and
tilaka on the charm-filled, divine forehead?

Is it possible to behold, in the mind, to the satiation of one’s eyes, Lord rAma –
the sustainer of Universe,
the terror of the enemies of celestials,
who is beyond the three qualities,
whose wishes are accomplished,
who is of consciousness natured form,
the repository of virtues -

as the Lord is charmingly in audience on the splendid golden cradle,
as sItA – who bestows fruits of wishes of devotees – swells with pride beholding Her consort, and
as this tyAgarAja – son of SrI rama brahma – rocks the cradle as he sings,
while even the inertial quality-less sages stand stupefied as it is beyond their capacity to extol the Lord?

*******************************************************************************************************************************
(4)
Thyagaraja Kriti - Vidhi Sakradulaku - Raga Yamuna Kalyani
http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.in ... raga.html
Is such a sannidhi attainable even for brahmA, indra and others?
Come, let us see the spectacle.

Is it possible even for brahmA, indra and others to see the service and worship Mother dharma saMvardhani –
the Supreme Mother;
the protector of the wise;
who is abiding in the Ocean of dharma;
who is Lotus faced like rising Sun;
whose eyes are brimming with most intense sense of compassion;
who is established in the town of tiruvaiyAru;
the Auspicious One who protects this tyAgarAja;
who shines in and as every form;
who is kind to those seeking Her refuge;
the precious stones of whose hand bracelets are splendorously shining?

Is it possible even for brahmA, indra and others to see the elegance of the Mother looking, at all, happily by side glances while -
moon-faced women, standing in a line, holding medallions, are hailing Victory (jaya jaya) for Her at every step;
celestial nymphs are dancing;
there is a shower of golden flowers at that time;
the celestials are quickly prostrating before Her?

Is it possible even for brahmA, indra and others to see all the elegance of the Lovely Mother seated in Court on the occasion of Friday while -
Her strings of precious stone necklaces sway, as She talks, looking at lakshmI;
the nobility of Her smile radiates in every aspect;
sages sanaka, nArada and others extol Her;
She is carrying the parrot;
the radiance of Her gold threaded sari sparkles?
Come, let us see the spectacle.
***********************************************************************************************************************************

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Have you or anyone else attempted to approximately date all the kritis of Thyagaraja or even arrange them chronologically? May be an interesting project since a lot of kritis contain indicators from what was happening in his own life (family disputes, daughter's wedding, confinement etc. etc.)
I have not done this except for karunA jooDavayyA. But we know that Thyagaraja went on his yAtrA in 1835/36, from the date of the srImukham written by Upanishad Brahmendra and from the fact that at Tirupati, the temple authorities celebrated 150 years of Thyagaraja's visit in 1986. We can, from this, surmise that the kriti on Varadaraja of Kanchipuram was composed during April/May 1836 (reference to garuDa sEva in the song, 'varadarAja ninnu kOri') and that the kritis on Tirupati, Tiruvotriyur and Kovur were composed later in the year. The Lalgudi kritis must have been composed sometime in November 1835 and perhaps, a couple of the Srirangam kritis in December 1835.

We of course know that paritApamu ganiyADina (manOhari) and giripai nelakona (sahAnA) were composed during the last days of his sojourn on this earth ('you promised that you will take me unto you in 5 days' [patipUTala pai]), possibly between the 2nd and 5th of January 1847. Thyagaraja left this earth on the 6th January at around 10-30 A.M. according to the Walajapet biography.

I had, years ago, in the year 2004, dated the Nagapattinam songs as being composed during the 1820s. Refer to the song, karmamE balavanta mAyA talli (sAveri) wherein he talk of a tsunami like occurence. This is of course my opinion and though there were people who accepted this when I wrote an article on this in "THe Astrological Magazine" of March 2005, there were others who did not accept. Does not matter. Dikshitar also refers to 'ambudhi garva nigraham' in his brindAvani song of Nagapattinam.

SriKrishnan

Post by SriKrishnan »

Thanks a lot, RaviSri. wonderful insight to the date of the compositions based on the festivals.
Are there more such findings ? Kindly share.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

One thing in Sriram's article. There is no internal evidence in krits like kOri sEvimpa rArE or sundarEshwaruni or vidhi sakrAdulaku to indicate that they were composed during processions at Kovur and Tiruvaiyyaru respectively. Also sundari nI divya rUpamunu only mentions the Friday sEvA at Tiruvotriyur.

There is a song in the raga gAnavAridhi, 'daya jUchuTakidi vELa' wherein he says, "munu nI vAnadichina panula AsakoninE, manasAraga nidAnamuga salpinAnu", i.e., "I have wholeheartedly and with perseverance completed the work which you entrusted me. Now is the time to protect me". This must have been composed towards the late evening of Thyagaraja's life, in the 1840s.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

How about the popular stories for kritis such as

1. Daughter's wedding
2. Loss and regaining of Rama vigraham
3. Resuscitating dead person during pilgrimage
4. Nidhichala sukhama
5. Dorakuna ituvanti seva

May be we should do this on a wiki page to gather all the facts and internal evidence.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

There is the story of nannu pAlimpa being composed by T when Walajapet Venkataramana Bhagavatar brought a picture of Rama as gift for Seethalakshmi's wedding. The picture is also available here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20378&hilit=nannu+palimpa+picture

Since we have the picture this story is believable. Also the story about T singing 'dorakunA iTuvanTi sEvA' in his younger days after he completed his tutelage with the Sonti father and son as it is mentioned in Walajapet Krishnaswami Bhagavatar's biography of T.

Personally I am not inclined to believe the stories associated with nA jIvAdhAra (resuscitating dead man) or mundu vEnuka (Rama and Lakshmana guarding T's palanquin) or nidhi chAla sukhamA (Sarabhoji episode).

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

If you allow for some layers of exaggeration built up over time, "resuscitation of dead" may stand for "revitalization of severly depressed" in which case it becomes quite easily credulous.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

credible?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Yes. That's what I meant. "Na jeevadhaaraa" has that kind of lift your spirits appeal.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Is there any specific thyagaraja swami kruthi , associated with the following popular painting? May I know the occasion?

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

This painting is a latter day, 20th century one. I have seen this paintng in one place in Madras, forget where. There is a message beneath. It has Anjaneya, being stunned by Thyagaraja's devotion to Rama and asking, "enna bhakti, enna bhakti ("What devotion, what devotion, wish I had the kind of bhakti towards Rama that this man exhibits.")

arasi

Post by arasi »

RaviSri,
The other painting you brought to us was such a surprise--a lovely one...

This painting is very appealing too--a well known one at that. A musical friend gifted me with a small framed print of it. I see a rangOli sort of an image in the left hand corner of the picture. When I enlarge it, it's hazy. Is it by any chance the signature of the painter?