PADMA VIBHUSHAN
K.J. Yesudas

PADMA SRI

T.K Murthy
Smt. Parassala B Ponnammal

MaheshS

Re: PADMA AWARDS 2017

Post by MaheshS »

Also heard Cho got a posthumus Padma Bhushan.

Here is the full list - List of Padma awardees 2017

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Probably should have got a few decades back

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

MaheshS wrote:Here is the full list - List of Padma awardees 2017
"T. K. Murthy" on the list of the Padmashri awardees - is that Sri T. K. Murthy, the mRdangam vidvAn who was Smt. MSS' accompanist?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I hope so!

But, to add the obligatory mean streak, as there has to be one for such things, what did KJY do to deserve this? He's a singer: he sang a lot. Still does. That's what singers do. It's not as if he took carmatic music out of the churches and onto the beaches. Or something.

But yeah... I'm just being mean. Take no notice :twisted:

sankark

Post by sankark »

Nick H wrote:I hope so!

But, to add the obligatory mean streak, as there has to be one for such things, what did KJY do to deserve this? He's a singer: he sang a lot. Still does. That's what singers do. It's not as if he took carmatic music out of the churches and onto the beaches. Or something.

But yeah... I'm just being mean. Take no notice :twisted:
I would say it was not for just CM - but service to music including his film and bhakti songs (harivarAsanam and scores of others) trove. I believe he would have brought quite a few people into CM fold through that.

That said, it is pretty delayed recognition for TKM. But, that says more about the process of these recognitions (promoter/nominated/lobbying etc.).

varsha

Post by varsha »

... I'm just being mean. Take no notice
Yes . You are being Mean . Please post only what you want us to notice.
btw
Awards serve one more purpose.Gives a lead to guys who , we may not know fully , but wish to expand their own horizons .
To explore further on the subject . For better or worse.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jahcxq9e0 ... as-msg.mp3

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

rshankar wrote:"T. K. Murthy" on the list of the Padmashri awardees - is that Sri T. K. Murthy, the mRdangam vidvAn who was Smt. MSS' accompanist?
"The oldest among the awardees from the state this year is 93-year-old Padma Shri mridangist T K Murthy, who, according to his fans, students and colleagues, devoted his life to his instrument. Though the honour came at the fag end of his career, Murthy was happy that his contribution to music was recognised. "The word has come late but it is heartening that at least now the government thought of giving him the honour," his son T K Jayaram said. From a family of court musicians in Thiruvananthapuram, Murthy performed with legendary Carnatic vocalist M S Subbulakhsmi for 55 years."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 789499.cms

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TK Murthy expansion is Trivandram Krishna Murthy. I got that info few days back .

devan

Post by devan »

All the three awardees from Kerala. A mere coincidence.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

There will be more satyrical comment on KJY and this is my tiny preemptive defence, and beyond that I don't mind.

These padma awards are accorded to popular and widely accepted personalities, with verifiable records as that can avoid conflicts...bringing in an unknown known may seem like vested interest, political play, regional bias..

Lata was awarded Bharat Ratna while I see that there is no palpable service, but by definition even reaching out to millions of people and soaking them in harmless music is service per se. She did not sing classical except some precious devotions and bhajans. Singers like Janaki was definitely slighted by it, and it is totally justifiable. Susheela , Janaki was poorly placed in honour and there has been this North South divide outcry every since the independence.

As far as KJY , the popularity,fame and money as a result that he gained through popular music is far beyond the scope of carnatic musicians. It can be tasking to keep up with the classical music , while the popularity and benefits from film music are multifold. He soaked the state of Kerala in music. There used to be a time , in order to sell music albums, there had to be either a pic of Iyappa or KJY in the album cover. Such was his reach and popularity. And some of the best Carnatic based songs in Fimlms were sung by KJY that lured many uninitiated to classical music. It was the silky , honey dipped , PITCH PERFECT, yet majestic voice that turned many heads towards the classical music. I doubt if any other even seasoned musicians could have managed to pull that off in classical based cinema songs.

WITH ALL THE BENEFITS, POPULARITY , MONEY HE COULD HAVE CONSIDERED ANY FURTHER TIES WITH CARNATIC AS UNWIELDY AND MOVED OUT OF IT, BUT HE CHOSE TO STAY.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Congratulations to all Awardees.
Thanjavooran
27 01 2017

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

The procedure for the selection of awardees, as far as I know, is that the concerned state governments
send their recommendations which is then considered by the center who put up their final list of awardees
for the approval of the president.

This may be the reason why all the three vidwans are from the same state, in this particular case.

The reason why may great vidwans are not figuring in the list of awardees year after year may be that they are
not in the list of the recommended names by the respective state government or any other state government.
Last edited by K Nagarajan on 28 Jan 2017, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Congratulations and Pranams to all the great Vidwans who received the awards this year.

k Nagarajan

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Padma awardees nomination and selection is akin to the Sangeetha Kalanidhi selection by MA. There is no science or meaning. It is more random than merit.

TK Murthy being awarded Padma Shri which is normally given to artists or personalities quite in the begining of their career (not at 90 years who has been a legend) and Sharad Pawar being awarded Padma Bhushan has now completely diluted the value of the award :( :( :(

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

There is no science or meaning
I guess it takes someone who's voice can be heard by the appropriate people to mention their suggested names, and so on up the line to the decision makers.

The rest of us just have unheard opinions. And mine is that the senior(s) should have had the senior award. What is so remarkable about TKM is not just the lifeltime contribution to music, but that at 93 he is still playing.

This is quite something for any musician, but for a mridangist, whose art requires great mental and physical agility, it is almost miraculous.

Congratulations to all. I'm not speaking against anyone in this post. But for TKM, at least, the award falls short.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Somebody elsewhere forwarded to me some stuff about some of the other awardees.

Made me humbled, realising that it is not wrong that our music world matters to us, but there is a bigger world out there, including recognition for of a lot of people doing stuff that is important.

Just my small confession.