EVENING WITH NAGESWARN SIR AND INJIKUDI SUBRAMANIAM

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
CRama

EVENING WITH NAGESWARN SIR AND INJIKUDI SUBRAMANIAM

Post by CRama »

I had been planning to go and visit Nageswaran Sir, but postponing the visit as I was apprehensive that it should not be disturbance to him. Yesterday by strange coincidence, I received a call from him telling me that Injikudi Subramaniam is bound to call on him that evening and he wanted me also to come. It was a godsend opportunity and I also went to his house by about 5 P.M. Nageswaran Sir has completely recovered and he is quite normaL. I wanted to share this happy note among our members. Our discussions centered around the concerts I heard this season and also on other related subjects like his relationship with the families of Shashank and U Srinivas etc. Injikudi arrived at about 6 P.M and we had very fruitful discussions thereafter. It was very nice experience hearing about many Nadaswara vidwans of the older generation- prior to Rajarathnam Pillai. Then a lot of discussion about Rajarathnam Pillai, Karukurichi, Veerusami Pillai, Kulikarai Pichayappa, Saxophone, Kadri Gopalnath, AKC, Clarionet and many more personalities. Injikudi went nostalgic when he was narrating his village life experiences which I felt like seeing a 50s -60s tamil film. I have never lived in any village. Only seen in films. It was a very interesting recalling of the village life which those people had- very simple, contended, focussed on music and temple only. I still had many more things to discuss. But kept for another opportunity. I left at 8.P.M after some delicious tiffin and hot coffee thanks to the hospitality of the Mami.
Nageswaran Sir expects many people to attend the music concert in his house tomorrow. Those who are planning to come may kindly indicate in the relevant thread.

Nick H

Re: EVENING WITH NAGESWARN SIR AND INJIKUDI SUBRAMANIAM

Post by Nick H »

Nageswaran Sir expects many people to attend the music concert in his house tomorrow.
Good. Due tolack of on-forum response, I have just enquired on that thread.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: EVENING WITH NAGESWARN SIR AND INJIKUDI SUBRAMANIAM

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Last year around the same time we had an interesting discussion with Sri Injikudi at Nageswaran sir's house and I had posted a brief account. CRama's meeting seems to be a sequel to it and I am happy to read through the instant report.
It's heartening that Subramaniam stays in the native village itself though he is on concert tours often.