Cleveland?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
nanosadagopan

Cleveland?

Post by nanosadagopan »

Is Cleveland aradhana on this year? What with visa restrictions and all and trump...

mahavishnu

Re: Cleveland?

Post by mahavishnu »

None of the visa restrictions should affect the Cleveland aradhana in any way, unless they plan to feature artistes from Libya or Yemen.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mahavishnu wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 05:53None of the visa restrictions should affect the Cleveland aradhana in any way, unless they plan to feature artistes from Libya or Yemen.
Or belly dancers from Syria! ;)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Some of the ragas prohibited are
Vakulabharanam
Huseni
Yemen Kalyani

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Consider the thumbs-up icon clicked.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

http://www.aradhana.org/

April 12th to April 23rd 2017, details of schedule still being worked on at this time as stated in the website

nanosadagopan

Post by nanosadagopan »

rshankar wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 08:02 Or belly dancers from Syria! ;)
Won't belly dancers be welcomed by Trump ;-)

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

There should be no problem getting Visas in Chennai, but the CBP mahAnubhAvAs must be made aware of the event before hand by the organizers in order to avoid misunderstandings at the airports of entry into the U.S.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sreeni, last night, having nolthing better to do, I went to Netflix and watched Russell Peters' stand up show in Toronto recorded live in 2016.

One of his openers was how the US Election ramp up was going so crazy with Trump swearing against immigrants. Peters said, "Come on, it's such a dumb idea of Trump's. If he bans immigrants, man, how is he going to find his next wife, for God's sake!!? You see.. Two of his three ***ing wives are immigrants, man"!!

Can you believe it, there are some Trump fans even in India. They think Trump will save the world.
Belly dancers excluded sorry included.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

nanosadagopan wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 18:07
rshankar wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 08:02 Or belly dancers from Syria! ;)
Won't belly dancers be welcomed by Trump ;-)
I could be wrong, but have a feeling that it originates from Egypt. "Belly dancing," of course, is just what us westerners (male I suppose) called it. It has a proper name, which I am afraid I don't remember. I bet rshankar's knowledge of dance is not limited to India: does he remember*?

Indeed, it is beautiful and sensuous. Can Trump be trusted not to act like an idiot schoolboy? Doubt it.

*Of course, I could google. But google is not as much fun as conversation!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nick - All i remember is that this form of dancing had its origins in some French colony - and the original name was probably in French.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If you fail me I have to ask Wikipedia!

Much less monolithic than thought. Lots of countries, lots of names

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Sachi_R wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 15:40 Some of the ragas prohibited are
Vakulabharanam
Huseni
Yemen Kalyani
You can add Arabi and (I)Ragamalika to the list too. :)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sachi_R wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 19:01 Can you believe it, there are some Trump fans even in India. They think Trump will save the world.
There is no place on earth you can boldly criticize Islam - even in America it is so much tough - as you can see the backlash! If liberals don't do it in their own version of thinking, somebody else will pickup the gauntlet.

In India - we can't even criticize the west or Christianity(the imported machinery - not the resident ones) in whichever category you can "other" them - even with us having a heritage of doing a bit of that in our freedom struggle. The left has brilliantly weaved the magic of putting all of it in the category of capitalists - so they can run their agenda mills with success - hiding all other staring in the face differences and narratives. So they could easily dethrone anybody successful economically even in our country! Completely neutering the civilization, cultural expressions in its quest to stand up as an unique example against the universalism portrayed by the west.

Lets first identify our own problems. Christian right will show up with it's true face and we don't need to worry about knowing it.

We have to know the real cancerous enemies embedded in our society!

As regards immigrants and such they (the west) came everywhere first! All the way to India also for spices - who are they to say we cannot come - morally. Even in america they were looking for Indians. Spaniards were luckier than the Portuguese! Of course they have the power of law which sometimes is contradicted by the needs of their economies.

One thing we should tell all immigrants first - it is not their liberal welcoming thing that brought you here - it is their economic need!

What are our Governments doing? Where is the effort to turn distress into opportunity - do venture capital investments for tech startups?

We who have the technology to steer a rocket to Mars and Moon - still have not penetrated that into old fashioned maritime navigation - still have ships colliding in our shores.

They are talking about self navigating ships : http://spectrum.ieee.org/magazine

Look at the Indian names behind some of the good things : http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/tele ... 5g-network

Now they also recognize humans are not just data points: http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/it/data-divination

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

History of Indians in U.S: worth reading:

http://www.shamit.org/Articales/history ... the_us.htm

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

How do you choose between mad and evil?

arasi

Post by arasi »

You don't choose.
You just get mad over evil :)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Did you start beating your wife?? question I guess

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

"When did you stop beating your wife."

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
:)

Is Thanjavooran listening? He often brings stuff which puts a smile on our faces. Bless GBL, he did it by starting the very popular Hilarity thread.

Let's go with VKR's version. A good premise for a joke. No catch 22 there.

Did you start beating your wife?
Ah, how I wish!

Did you start beating your wife?
Wish I could, but she beats me to it!

Any more?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sure to feature in Cleveland going by earlier years:
Carnatica Brothers,Neyveli Santanagopalan,mannargudi Easwaran,Sudha Raghunathan,Chitra Veena Ravikiran
Nagai Muralidharan and Nagai Sriram,Gayatri Venkataraghavan.This list is purely my guess?
i do not know whether there is any tradition to honor the latest sangeetha Kalanidhi in Cleveland?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Nick H wrote: 08 Feb 2017, 15:51 "When did you stop beating your wife."
My dad, who was a newspaperman, used to tell this one...

An archbishop is visiting a city well know for its red-light district. One of the waiting reporters is first to get his question in: "Will you be visiting the prostitutes during your stay here?" The bishop replies, "Are there any prostitutes here?"

Next day, the headline is.... Bishops first words: Asks if there are prostitutes in the city!

One must be careful with questions and answers :twisted:

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nick - a thumbs up. I think the moral of the story is to not be 'cute' (the Archbishop's response comes under that rather ambiguous category)! It can certainly backfire... :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

And how the press will make anything into what they want to say

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

That is not the Bishop's fault. Actually that's what passes for journalism! if people are informed only by "education" they might also believe it.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Shankarank, that's the whole point

Please note: this did not happen. It is a joke. A joke with a point.

My father was a journalist although for most of my life he edited a sports newspaper. He told me the when did you stop beating your wife thing, and the bishop thing, when I was a child. It was about how questions can be phrased to be incriminating whatever the answer, and about how words can be twisted.

Now you know it is a joke, feel free to laugh.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Continuing in levity...

piLLaiyAr piDikkak kurangAyiTRE! பிள்ளயார் பிடிக்கக் குரங்காயிற்றே!
(tried to fashion an elephant, ended up with a monkey).

So what, if you can't sculpt a ganESa, you can celebrate hanumat jayanti in all glory!

Yes Nick, it is mere conviviality, the object of which is to elicit a smile...

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Humor and Satire - interchangeable sometimes. It was figurative with all characters turned mythical ;) Enjoy my Satire - while I have a good laugh at your humor. :)

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Who cares?

All the Carnatic mama and mamis, even if they get visa may not get entry. Pona machhan... :lol:

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rshankar wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 20:30 Nick - All i remember is that this form of dancing had its origins in some French colony - and the original name was probably in French.
The French term for belly dance is nothing more than "Danse du Ventre" (or belly dance, literally).. This is a traditional dance, and I don't think the original name would be French. I've heard of Raqs Balad (Raqs = Dance, Balad = Folk [the word reminds me of the English word Ballad which has the same connotation and was probably etymologically tied to this Arabic word]). I think Raqs Balad refers to only one style or origin of the dance. There must be other terms.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

nanosadagopan wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 10:50 Is Cleveland aradhana on this year? What with visa restrictions and all and trump...
I saw this news item. I don't know if this is related to the situation of any of our artists.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/italian-ban ... 46544.html

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Ranganayaki: No, I believe Cleveland has the artistes come in under P visas, which is fairly standard process for most performing artistes. That said, I think the artistes in the above mentioned news item were poorly advised by their organizers. Previous administrations have enforced similar policies as well.

I don't think any of the carnatic musicians make politically sensitive statements like a band named "Soviet Soviet" :)

Always_Evolving

Post by Always_Evolving »

mahavishnu wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 03:48 I don't think any of the carnatic musicians make politically sensitive statements like a band named "Soviet Soviet" :)
Would that be politically incorrect these days :?: :D

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

A_E: Ha! I think they would fit very with the policies (and dealings) of the current administration :)

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thanks for the info, Ramesh!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

http://www.aradhana.org/

Website is now updated with details of all the programs under The Festival tab

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Any information about the program being webcast by i-carnatic as in the previous years ?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sundara Rajan,
I saw the program today, and iCarnatic streaming the festival is mentioned in it. Not very conspicuously, but it is there!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

arasi wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 08:03 Sundara Rajan,
I saw the program today, and iCarnatic streaming the festival is mentioned in it. Not very conspicuously, but it is there!
Will iCarnatic record and archive the programs? I have work from 9 to 5 and I can't stay up all night (despite my wishes)...

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

melam72: From previous year's experience I can tell you that the i-carnatic webcast CAN be viewed on a later date and time of your choice, at least twice for the same price. I have utilized this program successfully over the years.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 08:03 melam72: From previous year's experience I can tell you that the i-carnatic webcast CAN be viewed on a later date and time of your choice, at least twice for the same price. I have utilized this program successfully over the years.
Is the streaming itself free?

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Sorry, No. It used to be $100 in the US and less in India. I do not yet know the current year's price.