Cleveland?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Nick H

Re: Cleveland?

Post by Nick H »

Shankarank, that's the whole point

Please note: this did not happen. It is a joke. A joke with a point.

My father was a journalist although for most of my life he edited a sports newspaper. He told me the when did you stop beating your wife thing, and the bishop thing, when I was a child. It was about how questions can be phrased to be incriminating whatever the answer, and about how words can be twisted.

Now you know it is a joke, feel free to laugh.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Continuing in levity...

piLLaiyAr piDikkak kurangAyiTRE! பிள்ளயார் பிடிக்கக் குரங்காயிற்றே!
(tried to fashion an elephant, ended up with a monkey).

So what, if you can't sculpt a ganESa, you can celebrate hanumat jayanti in all glory!

Yes Nick, it is mere conviviality, the object of which is to elicit a smile...

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Humor and Satire - interchangeable sometimes. It was figurative with all characters turned mythical ;) Enjoy my Satire - while I have a good laugh at your humor. :)

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Who cares?

All the Carnatic mama and mamis, even if they get visa may not get entry. Pona machhan... :lol:

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rshankar wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 20:30 Nick - All i remember is that this form of dancing had its origins in some French colony - and the original name was probably in French.
The French term for belly dance is nothing more than "Danse du Ventre" (or belly dance, literally).. This is a traditional dance, and I don't think the original name would be French. I've heard of Raqs Balad (Raqs = Dance, Balad = Folk [the word reminds me of the English word Ballad which has the same connotation and was probably etymologically tied to this Arabic word]). I think Raqs Balad refers to only one style or origin of the dance. There must be other terms.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

nanosadagopan wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 10:50 Is Cleveland aradhana on this year? What with visa restrictions and all and trump...
I saw this news item. I don't know if this is related to the situation of any of our artists.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/italian-ban ... 46544.html

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Ranganayaki: No, I believe Cleveland has the artistes come in under P visas, which is fairly standard process for most performing artistes. That said, I think the artistes in the above mentioned news item were poorly advised by their organizers. Previous administrations have enforced similar policies as well.

I don't think any of the carnatic musicians make politically sensitive statements like a band named "Soviet Soviet" :)

Always_Evolving

Post by Always_Evolving »

mahavishnu wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 03:48 I don't think any of the carnatic musicians make politically sensitive statements like a band named "Soviet Soviet" :)
Would that be politically incorrect these days :?: :D

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

A_E: Ha! I think they would fit very with the policies (and dealings) of the current administration :)

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thanks for the info, Ramesh!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

http://www.aradhana.org/

Website is now updated with details of all the programs under The Festival tab

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Any information about the program being webcast by i-carnatic as in the previous years ?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sundara Rajan,
I saw the program today, and iCarnatic streaming the festival is mentioned in it. Not very conspicuously, but it is there!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

arasi wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 08:03 Sundara Rajan,
I saw the program today, and iCarnatic streaming the festival is mentioned in it. Not very conspicuously, but it is there!
Will iCarnatic record and archive the programs? I have work from 9 to 5 and I can't stay up all night (despite my wishes)...

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

melam72: From previous year's experience I can tell you that the i-carnatic webcast CAN be viewed on a later date and time of your choice, at least twice for the same price. I have utilized this program successfully over the years.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 08:03 melam72: From previous year's experience I can tell you that the i-carnatic webcast CAN be viewed on a later date and time of your choice, at least twice for the same price. I have utilized this program successfully over the years.
Is the streaming itself free?

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Sorry, No. It used to be $100 in the US and less in India. I do not yet know the current year's price.