abhiprAya sangItam

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rshankar

Re: abhiprAya sangItam

Post by rshankar »

sureshvv wrote:Yep! Minus the loin cloth :D
Or presumably Jane, but I am not going there! ;)

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

In her lec-dem Charumathi mentioned another controversy with the 14 ragamalika - if the swara sahitya was indeed part of the composition. She mentioned that some experts had opined that it was not the case, but that both MLV and the original notation had the swara sahitya.
Let the controversies be. I have nothing else to say. But, as far as the above is concerned, in the SSP, the swaras have been given and it has been mentioned as swara-sahityam. I have heard that the original Telugu SSP also mentions swara-sahityam, which means the song should be sung with swaras for each raga. What MLV does is, she leaves out the swaras for the srI rAgA segment, i.e., for 'chaturdasha bhuvana rUpa rAgamAlikA bharaNa dharaNanta karaNam'. Also, she brings the Arabhi segment to the anupallavi, whereas actually it should be part of the pallavi after srI rAgA.

SRJ etc., learnt the song from Tiruppambaram at the Central college. The latter did not sing the swarams, don't know why. Probably Sattanur Panchanada Iyer who was his father's guru, as he was of Veena Dhanammal, did not teach the swarams. Dhanammal did not teach the song to anyone, including her daughters, according to her grandson T.Sankaran.

shanks

Post by shanks »

Dr. S Ramanathan has sung this too. The recording below starts with that without any accompaniments - no idea about the timeframe.
https://shankarkrish.s3.amazonaws.com/M ... 7%20SR.mp3

My late aunt Savitri Satyamurthy (accompanied Dr S Ramanathan on violin) was a strict follower of Dr SR's padantharam; She has taught this kriti to my mother.
MLV may have made this composition well heard, but surely many others have sung at various times.

srini_pichumani

Post by srini_pichumani »

Recorded Madras 1980. Relelased 1981. Folkways Records label. My Lithuanian-American friend in Ypsilanti, MI, whose name is a mouthful even by Indian standards and a delight to mention here -- Erdvilas Kazimieras Jonas Bankauskas -- who keeps his LPs in mint quality gave me a very high fidelity recording of this entire LP set with comprehensive sleevenotes written by Robert S.Gottlieb. I distributed it to many friends in the US and visitors from India in the early 90s ! I still have the cassette in excellent condition in case anyone is interested in digitizing it.

This recording featured the Navagraha kritis (ok, ok, vAra kriti folks, take a deep breath) with exquisite recitation of the Navagraha mantras by Vazhuthur Rajagopala Sarma. Alandur S.Natarajan (Prof.SR's brother) and Kuttalam Viswanatha Iyer were the accompanists for all the navagraha kritis and "s'rI gurunA pAlitosmi".

There was a pretty bad quality audio cassette released in India (Sangeetha ?) which didn't have the sleevenotes or the mantras either, if I remember right.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

rshankar wrote: 30 Mar 2017, 17:25
sureshvv wrote:Yep! Minus the loin cloth :D
Or presumably Jane, but I am not going there! ;)
With all your funny takes - you guys think you are pushing me to edge of virakti - I am a passionate fellow still very much worldly! So I won't take that plunge! :lol:

varsha

Post by varsha »

MLV sang bArO kriShNayyA in 1966 itself. It has been recorded in the LP which was released in 1965
also perambur sangeeth sabha 60 as per my records.
fidgety unimpressive track

varsha

Post by varsha »

09 - SrI viSva nAthaM bhajE(a)ham - caturdaSa rAga mAlikA - dikshitar

earliest is newyork 64 as per my books

varsha

Post by varsha »

can put up both concerts if needed
or someone can point to a link is sangeethapriya

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

MLV Perambur concert on Sangeethapriya - https://www.sangeethamshare.org/kasturi ... abha_1960/
New York 1976 - https://www.sangeethamshare.org/murthy/ ... 2-10-1976/

Both concert recordings are not of very good quality. If Varsha has a better recording, perhaps he can post...

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shankarank wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 07:16
With all your funny takes - you guys think you are pushing me to edge of virakti - I am a passionate fellow still very much worldly! So I won't take that plunge! :lol:
Don't worry. You are doing better than the other guy at the edge of vikruthi.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

melam72 wrote: 27 Mar 2017, 07:46
I still believe that it was Charumathi who deserved that Sangeetha Kalanidhi.

Just look at her credentials versus his! She is an accomplished composer, her music is technically perfect, she seldom panders to her audience, and she revitalised the art of Pallavi rendition in the 70s and 80s.

Gurubhakthi is not everything; you need genuine talent, and you need to have thozhil-dharmam. Charumathi has all three, TVR has only one.

Coming to TVR's music: it is unimpressive, it is ordinary, and he frequently goes off shruti. His voice is unremarkable and unmelodious. His brigas are but pale imitations of that of GNB. And yet, it is he who gets more slots.

This is not abhiprayam (opinion). This is unmai (truth).

TVR, unfortunately, doesn't fall in the category, in my opinion. He, to me, sings to the galleries.
With the revival of 14 ragamalika set aside wonderfully by srini and Ravi Sir

To the very little that I heard of charumathi she appeared more erudite and she possibly deserves sangeetha kala acharya

The music of vidwan Trichur Ramachanran is not as bad as what melam72 has portrayed . Every concert of his to me is how much he equals GNB and how much he falls short of GNB . There are few spectacular concerts where TVR has sung brillliantly his orientation of singing has a lot of more hindustani slant unlike GNB which is more carnatic grounded . I cannot forget TVR rendition of brindavana saranga -so authentic , I have discussed a lot with Mohan from Australia who has a lot of respect and TVR is one of his favourite . But just to dismiss TVR as what melam72 stated is so far away from truth

One challenge in the last two decades for the audience to hear either TVR or Charumathi is when their daughter Subhashree Ramachandran accompanies them . I guess charumathi took more of that combo . Last year during Dec 2016 I saw Hindu Color ads carnatic melody queeen subhashree ramachandran - that is also far away from truth.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

srini_pichumani wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 01:48 Recorded Madras 1980. Relelased 1981. Folkways Records label. My Lithuanian-American friend in Ypsilanti, MI, whose name is a mouthful even by Indian standards and a delight to mention here -- Erdvilas Kazimieras Jonas Bankauskas -- who keeps his LPs in mint quality gave me a very high fidelity recording of this entire LP set with comprehensive sleevenotes written by Robert S.Gottlieb. I distributed it to many friends in the US and visitors from India in the early 90s ! I still have the cassette in excellent condition in case anyone is interested in digitizing it.

This recording featured the Navagraha kritis (ok, ok, vAra kriti folks, take a deep breath) with exquisite recitation of the Navagraha mantras by Vazhuthur Rajagopala Sarma. Alandur S.Natarajan (Prof.SR's brother) and Kuttalam Viswanatha Iyer were the accompanists for all the navagraha kritis and "s'rI gurunA pAlitosmi".
Can you upload an e-version of this please? Also the sleeve notes if possible. Much appreciated.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

knrh05 wrote: 01 Apr 2017, 18:51 MLV Perambur concert on Sangeethapriya - https://www.sangeethamshare.org/kasturi ... abha_1960/
I listened to the Arabhi in that concert. In that Alapana, I have to be a real tarzan amidst the world of Carnatic music to appreciate it. Or a liberal open to new experiences. Else a firm belief that Carnatic music is completely Melody only and rhythm is there for lyrics and "music" is set on it. Don't know whether to call it scalar - but Suddha Saveri was all over it. She herself searching for Arabhi - and after she finds it - I have to begin my search.

She does better in the song though.

I did not have that feeling with Dr BMK with ramaNa vibhO kalayami - or when TVR in that dallas concert sang a similar vaRNa meTTu - another ST song.

When Bhajana sampradaya begins AnjanEya Paramananda mUrtE - many times high up in anupallavi: apahRta raghuvara , Arabhi falls out with no effort. That is being sung in concerts also even though there are no prAsa rules : http://www.deccanherald.com/content/301 ... alist.html

So I am a tarzan from Bhajan world!