Some vintage carnatic pics

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rbharath

Post by rbharath »

rajeshnat wrote:
VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:MLV speaks after being awarded "Isai Vani" title by Rajamanickam pillai, at a function held at Purasaiwakkam - 1954
vishnu,
In the above quoted post #11, I think it is MS Subhalakshmi , not mlv.
the caption on this picture clearly says its MLV.
"Srimathi M L Vasanthakumarikku, Doctor A Krishna Rao thalaimaiyil, sangeetha vaani yendra birudhai, Sangeetha Kalanidhi Sri Rajamanikkam Pillai, Pursaivakkam Arts Academyil aLiththAr"

ஸ்ரீமதி எம் எல் வசந்தகுமாரிக்கு, டாக்டர் ஏ க்ருஷ்ண ராவ் தலைமையில், சங்கீத வாணி என்ற பிருதை, சங்கீத கலாநிதி ஸ்ரீ ராஜமாணிக்கம் பிள்ளை, புரசைவாக்கம் ஆர்ட்ஸ் அகாடமியில் அளித்தார்.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I agree with you rajesh!
it is MS who is adressing the crowd during the award ceremony of the title 'isaimani' to MLV and KBS is sitting in the background and later was the concert by MS with KBS sitting beside her in #2 and you are right about lathangi too!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Forgot to add the obligatory WOW!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

the Saree MS is wearing in #2 and the saree, the lady standing in #11 is wearing are different.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Grear Pics Vishnuji. Thank you.

Can somebody post the comments under the SSI-TTK Photo? I'm not able to ready it.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

"Namaskaram Swami Engiraar Semmangudi madhiya manthri shri T.T.Krishnamachariyidam"

Namaskram Swami says Semmangudi to Central Minister shri. T.T.Krishnamachari

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Apart from the sari difference and locale difference in posts #2 and #11, the lady speaking in the picture in post #11 is MS (by appearance). If you see the pictures in post #2 MS is very slim there and MLV is not so. It is likely that MS attended the function to honor MLV and spoke on that occasion (post #11).

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vishnuramprasad,
What can I say! If I thought I had 'left my heart in good old Chennai', you have retrieved it for me! Most of them I knew as a child, and my aunt Rukmini Sunderajan is there with DKP too! Vasanthakokilam (I am not talking about the present day cuckoo in our midst, Mr. Bean) was more beautiful than she looks in that picture. Always a bit pensive in her expression, though.
Yes Rajesh, the one playing the thamburA for MLV is her mother Latangi. See how in those days, even MLV wears the sari like Pattamma and MSS--with the sari end (thalaippu) folded in two and brought all the way to the front tucked in the manner of a nine yards sari!
I feel their presence, nearness and the way DKP embraced me warmly every time. She has even braided my hair (anju kAlpinnal--five stranded braid). I hear the rustle of their saris, their smiles and the simple words they exchanged with a mere child. The way they did not distance themselves from me because they were stars. MLV, DKP, MSS, KBS...

Naradar Srinivasa Rao was a buddy too. He took pics of us holding an open nAradar magazine in our hands. I realize what a jovial, enterprising and mercurial editor (on the move on his motor bike) he was. A true nAradar who roamed Chennai like the trilOka sanchAri! I remember riding with him to some event or other on that bike!
CML, if you remember, there was this photographer (Ramakrishna?) who specialized in pictures of scuptures. kallum SollAdO kavi? ('Don't stones sing poetry?') used to be his caption for these pictures. Vishnuprasad, your pics speak verses too to me..
Last edited by arasi on 31 May 2007, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes arasi
I distinctly recall those images. Nice to see the pics of your aunt too! What happened to Naradar? Did he disappear into 'dinamani kadir'?

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
After those golden years (in music), I moved away from Chennai to pursue my studies. But for rare visits from abroad where I moved away after that, there was barely any time for meeting anyone except family and close friends. I lost touch with the Chennai scene.
Since nAradar was an off shoot of vigaDan (ananda Vikatan), it served as a spokesperson for S.S.Vasan's movies and stars. Naradar Rao wrote music reviews as well, and was always seen with his camera around his neck!
Last edited by arasi on 31 May 2007, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I would also like to remember Professor Powers at this point. May his soul rest in peace. I missed out on expressing my sympathies in the thread where his passing away was announced. The thread took a detour and I was reluctant to write anything at that juncture.
Strangley enough, I did not know of his existence (unlike the vidawns and vidUshis whose pictures appear here) until a few years ago. We met at a concert to which both of us arrived very early, and started conversing. In that half hour, we covered a lot of ground. He told me how, after his time in Korea, he came to Chennai, learnt from Ranga Ramanujam Iyengar, went back to Princtoen and taught there too (he gave me his card), and that he was a musicologist. We were surprised to find that two of our close ties in music were very close to each other! Both of us enjoyed that day's concert, scribbled notes about it to each other, and when some heads in the row ahead of us nodded 'I don't know the rAgA' when the RTP began, I happen to recognize it (not always!).Before I could write it down, Harold Powers wrote gAnamurthy on his pad, and gave me a smile. After that, we just said hello to each other a few times whenever we happened to see each other. This season, we met again briefly, at the extremely crowded premiere of 'Ar Ar ASaippaDAr?' in one of those multiplex (?) cinemas. I did not know that he was ailing with cancer then. He was very happy to have seen the film and said to me that it was an excellent film. I wish I had written to him after our first meeting and had kept in touch with him.
Next season, I would miss seeing him.

Vishnuprasad,
That one picture showed me how he looked, that many years ago. A charming man to look at and to know, even though for a short while...
Last edited by arasi on 31 May 2007, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Thanks Vishnu.
You are bit like the Indian Monsoon , which lashed at Kerala two days ago.
Bountiful, quenching parched minds ...
and unpredictable in your timing .
I only wish that you keep doing the rounds here even when you are very very busy at work !!:)
Last edited by coolkarni on 31 May 2007, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Arasi
Your review of Prof Powers is touching. Apart from photos, your review add real value to it. Did he get any recognition from our Music fraternity as John Higgins ?

MLV felicitation photo-I also think MS is addressing since MLV did not wear "Madisar". I may be wrong again.

Who is the violinist in SSI's PS school concert. Mridhangam is PMI ?

Who are the accompaniments for MMI concert ?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, GRS.
He was honored with a title by CMANA last year (?) and Cleveland was going to honor him this year. He died before the tyagarAjA festival. I do not know if they gave the award posthumously...

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

grsastrigal wrote:Arasi
MLV felicitation photo-I also think MS is addressing since MLV did not wear "Madisar". I may be wrong again.
Neither did MS wear maDisAr.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

grsastrigal wrote:MLV felicitation photo-I also think MS is addressing since MLV did not wear "Madisar". I may be wrong again.
but for a few family functions, MS never wore madisar either. Recently, i had the opportunity to see some private pictures of MS amma family at a friends place. The only pictures i could see with MS in madisar are the pictures of the wedding of their daughters, the occasion of them adopting a son and while taking hArati to mahaperiyava. The friend of mine who has the collection said that there arent many other pictures with MS in madisar.

All the ladies of the yesteryears wore the 6 yards saree in such a fashion that the thalappu would come as a double fold and tuck it. And put a layer of their saree on their shoulder, thus giving it a madisar effect...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

very close observations of #11 also makes one feel that the lady standing is not all that slim actually.

ram

Post by ram »

I was talking to the owner of a book shop a few days back and he was recalling how Prof Harold Powers was there in his shop once during one of his visits to India and someone came in and asked for any book that had the lyrics of a particular song. Prof Powers was able to immediately tell the name of the raga of the song, the composer and the talam and guide him to the book that had the lyrics. The person then apparently asked the prof for more songs and each time the Prof was able to immediately tell the name of the raga, composer, talam etc and guide him to at least one book that contained the composition. Though the owner did not remember the names of the songs, he did tell me that they covered a gamut of composers of the pre and post trinity era.

arasi

Post by arasi »

ksrimech,
Yes. They wore the six yards (the popular wear) sari a la maDisAr (nine yards) only in the front folding. The sari was pleated in the front, but the end piece was brought to the front in a generous equal fold and was tucked in. DKP, I guess wore the seven yards, since the six yards sari does not have enough length for the front double fold. She was on the heavier side.
SVV, the great humorist of those times, while describing ultra modern women would say: sari end blowing in the wind!

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Here we go with the next set of pics 1944

The Thyagaraja aradhana, Thiruvayyar, meet the stalwarts right there (GNB, MMI (with tuft), MVI etc.). Veerusamy pillai is about to start the aradhana day goshti ghaanam with his nagaswaram (probably theratheeyaka raadhaa :) :))

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Ariyakudi is waiting to sing! a part of female audience.... 1944 aradhana.... (pls read the comments)

VISHNURAMPRASAD

1944 - aradhana

Dhanam sisters.... Thiruveezhimizhalai brothers... veerusamy pillai and the crowd...

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

grsastrigal wrote:Who is the violinist in SSI's PS school concert. Mridhangam is PMI ?
KRP Fiddle and PMI Mridhangam.
Last edited by kaapi on 01 Jun 2007, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

This picture is not relevant to carnatic music.. but am compelling myself to insert this one.... a rare picture of the great Theppurumaanallur Annadhaana Sivan (1852 to 1920s). The title Annadhaana Sivan was bestowed by the public! the late kanchi Maha periayaval has given a great account about this selfless soul. If somebody has more information about this mahan, please do share it with me. (sorry for the deviation.. could not avoid it:))

VISHNURAMPRASAD

1951 - Chembai - with young vellore ramabhadran in mridangam - can some let me know who the violinist is?

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Some interesting Pencil sketches (1950)

VISHNURAMPRASAD

MLV (a film still)

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Bharatratna.... Kunjamma....1936

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Chithoor Nagiah as Thyagayyaa.....

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Sangeetha Bhoopathi.....Viswanathapuram Maharaja!! (as he was called) in concert..a still of 1944.
(imagine his darbar... mukhari and kambhoji...)

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Veena maestro Sangeetha Kalanidhi K.P.Sivanandam Pillai 1944 (hailing from the tanjore quartert parampara!)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That kunjamma and MLV take the cake !

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Scanned Review of a madurai somu radio concert - 1954

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Young and handsome VV Sadagopan

Where did he disappear?

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Vidwan Mayavaram Rajam Iyer

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Someone must be having a clearer version of this famous picture circa 1954.

Flute Mali at Thyagaraja sangeetha vidwath samajam, with Chembai on Violin, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer on Mridangam....

VISHNURAMPRASAD

GNB with Master T.N.Krishnan and Mylatoor Ramachandran

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Here he is...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VVS never disappeared! He merged within our hearts!

VISHNURAMPRASAD

To conclude:

Melody Master Madurai Mani Iyer singing for a mridangam arengetram of Master Srinivasan son of Dr.Varadachariar at Mayavaram with Thiruvalangadu sundaresa Iyer on the Fiddle. The report says that the boy played very well (Circa 1953)

Now who is this Srinivasan (He must be 66 years old by now!), I think he did not come to the limelight...

This picture reminds me of the great Thiruvengad Jayaraman, who sang for several arangetrams with full of joy to encourage young talents.... I have been fortunate to attend a few of them during 80s.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:1951 - Chembai - with young vellore ramabhadran in mridangam - can some let me know who the violinist is?
The violinist is Shri T K rAmachandran (son of lalithadAsar aka T G krishna Iyer ), of pAvana guru (hamsanAdam) fame.

courtesy : came to know from one of the photographs where manakkAl sriram showed me when I visited his home. I think it is the same T K rAmachandran.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 01 Jun 2007, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

rajeshnat wrote:The violinist is Shri T K rAmachandran (son of lalithadAsar aka T G krishna Iyer ), of pAvana guru (hamsanAdam) fame.
I am sure u meant HamsAnandi...:D
-bhaktha
Last edited by bhaktha on 01 Jun 2007, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Vishnu, thank you very much for the lovely pictures. Each one is a gem indeed. There's a beauty in these vintage photos that seems to be missing in most modern, high-tech pictures.

Again, many thanks.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

bES balE sabAS
Whenever I seen MMI's photo, I can't only imagine - aaaan kAlinil chilambuuuuuuuuuu
Last edited by ksrimech on 02 Jun 2007, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:Chithoor Nagiah as Thyagayyaa.....
Isn't this from the opening scene of the movie in which nAgayyA gAru is singing rAma mantrava japisO? You should see the brilliance in his face and the twinkle in his eyes. If cittUri nAgayyA had this much, then imagine how much more the real tyAgayya would have?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vishnuramprasad,
VVS, as CML aptly said, lives in our hearts. There were two articles about him in the Hindu a few years ago (one by Sujatha Vijayaraghavan) which Meena posted on our forum several months ago. You would get the story from there.
A true renaissance man.
In your blaze of pictures, there are two from the same family (Rukmini Sunderajan, his sis-in-law, with Pattamma
at the MA concert)!

As for the caricatures you put up earlier--they are by the inimitable Mali, the staff cartoonist of Ananda vigaDan.
Last edited by arasi on 02 Jun 2007, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I just could not resist posting this! Pl post the context if any of you know!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

http://www.siliconeer.com/past_issues/2 ... y2005.html says

"M.S. Subbulakshmi (l) receiving an honorary degree from erstwhile Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi."

meena

Post by meena »

geetham yeh ;)
I just could not resist posting this! Pl post the context if any of you know!
MSS receiving an honorary degree from PM Indira Gandhi.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Food for goose is food for gander :)
That is quite clear. Where and when ?
How come it is not MS awarding an honorary doctorate to Indira Gandhi :)